Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A lot of this last episode was kind of anime original content. That is, it covered things that happened between books. The story time bit was completely original, though.

As for a second season, I'm pretty sure that books 6 and 7 take place concurrently, though 7 hasn't been translated at all to my knowledge. This allows for a bunch of different options for adapting them, though naturally a bad studio would gently caress it up.

I very much doubt that this show was so successful that they would pump out another season before more books were published, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Argas posted:

I wonder how well they can cram book 5 into the remaining episodes. They've dropped some huge hooks so I can see them covering some of the big plot points by the end of this season if they otherwise can't fit in book 5.

There's probably not enough material for a second season depending on the pace, they'd have to stretch things and probably add some filler to get a second season with what's currently out.

Edit: Of course, they've done a great job stretching the material so far so it may be possible with minimum filler.

I think you can fit most of the events of book 5 into two to three episodes. All those paragraphs about cakes are easier to convey in a visual medium.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

A lot of this last episode was kind of anime original content. That is, it covered things that happened between books. The story time bit was completely original, though.

As for a second season, I'm pretty sure that books 6 and 7 take place concurrently, though 7 hasn't been translated at all to my knowledge. This allows for a bunch of different options for adapting them, though naturally a bad studio would gently caress it up.

I very much doubt that this show was so successful that they would pump out another season before more books were published, though.

They could space it out like they did with Phi Brain, even though that's not originally an LN, it's still lasted 3 2-cour seasons with a t least 2 cours in between each of them iirc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

They could space it out like they did with Phi Brain, even though that's not originally an LN, it's still lasted 3 2-cour seasons with a t least 2 cours in between each of them iirc.

Most LN authors can churn out books very quickly, and there are already enough for maybe half a season. Give it a year and they can do another season without any special effort.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
:siren: Light Novel Spoilers :siren:

In the most recent episode, Regin mentions that there's another new type of magic created in the East associated with the adventurers in Minami, most likely Nureha of Plant Hwyaden. I believe that the new type of magic is "Overlay" which turns an adventurer into a PotL and I find it interesting because there seems to be a sort of direct contrast between the Adventurers in the East and the West:

• Plant Hwyaden made everyone join one gigantic guild, which somewhat resembles the Westlande Empire, while the Round Table is an oligarchy of different guilds very similar to the structure of Eastal.

• The new type of magic from the West turns (disguises) Adventurers into PotL while the magic of the East makes a PotL into an Adventurer.

• The West has restricted a lot of information about the basic structure, while the East is a lot more open.

• Nureha rose to power through the help of the PotL nobility whereas Shiroe used a purely Adventurer-driven method.

I haven't read the most recent light novel but if anyone has and can give a summary, I'd be interested in the parallel developments of Shiroe's actions. Lastly, I'm pretty sure with this foreshadowing, we may see an episode of Shiroe v. Nureha in the current anime season.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
How about we wait til the anime is over before we start serious discussion of the books? I've probably dropped more minor novel spoilers than anyone else here, but it would still be nice.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

A couple of weeks ago, I visited baka-tsuki and read up to the last bit of translated light novel. The anime I'd say the anime is one or two episodes from where I read up to. Maybe even just one episode.

I'd love to find out more, so perhaps after the last episode, someone could fill us in on what happens?

Other than my WoW goblin's engineering spectacles, I don't know if I've ever seen glasses in an MMO. They've really made something of that.

What I found most interesting about this Saturday's episode is how I didn't really recognize some of the ladies with their hair down and their armor off. I didn't know Marie was an elf, and the-bard-girl-who-is-in-love-with-Rudy (can't recall her name) -- I'm like, "Who is that yelling at Rudy? Oh..."

I know that the story has provided relative levels for PotL in the past, but I still find it surprising that PotL can, in fact, level. I would think that is an Adventurer thing only. I have no particular reason for that other than you don't generally see NPC's leveling. Although, in Asheron's Call, if I remember correctly, cows could level. You'd agro a cow, lay down, and let it kill you. It would level.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dan7el posted:

the-bard-girl-who-is-in-love-with-Rudy (can't recall her name) -- I'm like, "Who is that yelling at Rudy? Oh..."

You ahould really feel ashamed for not remembering ~MISS ISUZU~!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

How about we wait til the anime is over before we start serious discussion of the books? I've probably dropped more minor novel spoilers than anyone else here, but it would still be nice.

The translations of the light novels are pretty dang bad so I don't mind seeing bits from future novels. Especially since they're being labeled as such anyways.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Toshimo posted:

You ahould really feel ashamed for not remembering ~MISS ISUZU~!

Now that the team is all assembled, can I post the Log Horizon Log House?

Because it is awesome:

"Rudy's room, otherwise known as RundelHouse, or the dog house. Named by Isuzu."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Because it is awesome:

"Rudy's room, otherwise known as RundelHouse, or the dog house. Named by Isuzu."

I love it, so much.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Because it is awesome:

Some of those descriptions are really quite :3:.

By the sound of it, Serara would have fit right in to Nyanta's old cat guild.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Posted manfully and without comment:

Wikipedia entry for Man with a Mission posted:

Before becoming popular, the band invented a back-story for why they wear wolf masks, which involves them being created as the "Ultimate Life Form" by Jimi Hendrix, who is described by the band as being the doctor of the guitar and master wolf biologist.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

:siren: Light Novel Spoilers :siren:

In the most recent episode, Regin mentions that there's another new type of magic created in the East associated with the adventurers in Minami, most likely Nureha of Plant Hwyaden. I believe that the new type of magic is "Overlay" which turns an adventurer into a PotL and I find it interesting because there seems to be a sort of direct contrast between the Adventurers in the East and the West:

• Plant Hwyaden made everyone join one gigantic guild, which somewhat resembles the Westlande Empire, while the Round Table is an oligarchy of different guilds very similar to the structure of Eastal.

• The new type of magic from the West turns (disguises) Adventurers into PotL while the magic of the East makes a PotL into an Adventurer.

• The West has restricted a lot of information about the basic structure, while the East is a lot more open.

• Nureha rose to power through the help of the PotL nobility whereas Shiroe used a purely Adventurer-driven method.

I haven't read the most recent light novel but if anyone has and can give a summary, I'd be interested in the parallel developments of Shiroe's actions. Lastly, I'm pretty sure with this foreshadowing, we may see an episode of Shiroe v. Nureha in the current anime season.

I was skimming around google, and found another thing that it might have been. - more possible big manga or whatever spoilers, obviously. Apparently, Nureha discovered how to permanently kill adventurers by buying the cathedral they are bound to and locking them out, which would be pretty world changing itself. It's kind of an obviously foreshadowed possibility in retrospect, considering if you can buy something as vital as a guild hall, why would that stop you from buying a cathedral.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 26, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wolpertinger posted:

I was skimming around google, and found another thing that it might have been. - more possible big manga or whatever spoilers, obviously. Apparently, Nureha discovered how to permanently kill adventurers by buying the cathedral they are bound to, which would be pretty world changing itself

Huh.It almost seems obvious, considering how Shiroe was able to blackmail all the guilds of Akihabara by buying the Guild building. In fact you could probably blackmail even harder by restricting access to that area (and therefore, the only means of revival) in exchange for obedience to your will or whatever.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wolpertinger posted:

I was skimming around google, and found another thing that it might have been. - more possible big manga or whatever spoilers, obviously. Apparently, Nureha discovered how to permanently kill adventurers by buying the cathedral they are bound to and locking them out, which would be pretty world changing itself. It's kind of an obviously foreshadowed possibility in retrospect, considering if you can buy something as vital as a guild hall, why would that stop you from buying a cathedral.

Light Novel stuff:
Yes, I didn't mention it specifically but Nureha bought the zone rights to the Cathedral after getting the money from the PotL nobility (Itsuki clan) I believe. However, the LN also mention that this occurred when Shiroe was in Suskino and rescuing Serara; thus, I don't think that this action was the new type of magic developed in the West.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Is Serara going to join Log Horizon though? It feels like she's getting more attached to that guild (and Nyanta) rather than her old one.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Eeepies posted:

Is Serara going to join Log Horizon though? It feels like she's getting more attached to that guild (and Nyanta) rather than her old one.

Most likely not since she told Nyanta during the dance that although she is grateful for being saved in Suskino and likes Nyanta, the Crescent Moon Alliance has done a lot for her and she has a lot of responsibilities taking care of the newcomers in that guild, thus making it unable for her to move to Log Horizon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wolpertinger posted:

Spoily things

Edit: Novel spoilers

It's in a neither confirm-nor-deny state with that one, I believe. Nothing concrete, just implications and speculation. Nureha believes their ghosts are haunting her. One would think that there'd be a backup of some kind and they'd revive at the nearest possible cathedral. That should be Akiba, so the lack of any stories to counter it seems to indicate those adventurers are dead.

Argas fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Honestly joining would be a formality considering she hangs around with so many of them so much. It's not as though any of the Log Horizon members would lock her out for being part of the Crescent Alliance instead of Log Horizon. Anything where they'd have need for members only might be too serious or intimidating for her to take part in anyway.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Argh. Please continue to tag 'novel spoilers' on a continual basis rather than relying on context.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Furious Lobster posted:

Light Novel stuff:
Yes, I didn't mention it specifically but Nureha bought the zone rights to the Cathedral after getting the money from the PotL nobility (Itsuki clan) I believe. However, the LN also mention that this occurred when Shiroe was in Suskino and rescuing Serara; thus, I don't think that this action was the new type of magic developed in the West.
More LN spoilers
I just assumed the "new magic" from the west is probably related to however they got the Fairy Rings or w/e they're called turned back on

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Argas posted:

Novel spoilers:
It's in a neither confirm-nor-deny state with that one, I believe. Nothing concrete, just implications and speculation. Nureha believes their ghosts are haunting her. One would think that there'd be a backup of some kind and they'd revive at the nearest possible cathedral. That should be Akiba, so the lack of any stories to counter it seems to indicate those adventurers are dead.

Novel spoilers:
Sounds to me like they're stuck in limbo; that is, they're trying to rez but can't access the cathedral, and can't, but they're not gone for good, and if Nureha were to change the permissions they'd pop back in. I wondered if that might be the case and what you're saying about the ghosts makes me think it's even more likely.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I guess looking at those spoilers wasn't a mistake, that kind of story is what I'm raring for. Man pitting their wits and will against man for political control.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

exmorte posted:

More LN spoilers
I just assumed the "new magic" from the west is probably related to however they got the Fairy Rings or w/e they're called turned back on

The fairy rings never shut off. There were more conventional portals that could be used to jump between cities which stopped working, though. The fairy rings can even send people between continents/servers, so no one is willing to risk being literally stuck on the other side of the planet. Even if the schedules didn't require an online guide to begin with, there is also the different rate of time passing and the possibility that they run off an entirely new schedule, just because. I think it is rather likely that there are dungeons which are only accessible via the fairy rings, too.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The fairy rings never shut off. There were more conventional portals that could be used to jump between cities which stopped working, though. The fairy rings can even send people between continents/servers, so no one is willing to risk being literally stuck on the other side of the planet. Even if the schedules didn't require an online guide to begin with, there is also the different rate of time passing and the possibility that they run off an entirely new schedule, just because. I think it is rather likely that there are dungeons which are only accessible via the fairy rings, too.

So what you are saying is there could be a cool Sliders like show made around the Fairy Rings.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ethiser posted:

So what you are saying is there could be a cool Sliders like show made around the Fairy Rings.

I thought this was called "Stargate."

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

:kimchi: New Episode on Crunchyroll :kimchi:

"I'd rather fight a dozen raid bosses at once." :v:
Disturbing lack of Rudy, but I liked the episode though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:kimchi: New Episode on Crunchyroll :kimchi:

"I'd rather fight a dozen raid bosses at once." :v:
Disturbing lack of Rudy, but I liked the episode though.

Ahahaha. Now Lenessia's been merchandised and turned into a creeper figurine!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The best line is still "I ... require fashion."

I hope we get some movement next episode though, and they put these romance plots on the backburner.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

The best line is still "I ... require fashion."

I hope we get some movement next episode though, and they put these romance plots on the backburner.

There isn't really anything they can get through in the few episodes we still have, right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They could at least set up for something, give us a second season hook or a cliffhanger (I refuse to believe there won't be a second season). Fun as this episode was, I'd get really bored if they give us four more episodes of this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think the romance subplot really has any weight to it, but I also feel like the ending of this episode was an acknowledgement of that. Two "cooldown" episodes in a row might have been a bit much, but they have to do something else next, right? Even if it's just a short filler issue.

Edit: Oh, I hadn't seen the preview yet.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 1, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Akatsuki really made the episode.

I kinda wonder what she was in grad school for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ninjutsu, duh.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Book 5 is largely a cooldown period after the first few arcs went from small group issues to regional catastrophes with larger implications.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It was pretty obvious this would come up the instant the word "festival" was spoken in the last episode, but it doesn't make it any less annoying to be slapped with in the final stretch of episodes. It almost seems like Shiroe is fully aware of things and is just doing his best to actively ignore the whole situation, which is probably the smartest move.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Emalde posted:

It was pretty obvious this would come up the instant the word "festival" was spoken in the last episode, but it doesn't make it any less annoying to be slapped with in the final stretch of episodes. It almost seems like Shiroe is fully aware of things and is just doing his best to actively ignore the whole situation, which is probably the smartest move.

The only winning move is to not play.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'm really glad the Log Horizon tree house was posted earlier in this thread as its was fun spotting the various rooms used in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Emalde posted:

Shiroe is a huge nerd, riddled with self-loathing and he has never been on a date. Hints are going to go over his head every time, but no one seems inclined to say it clearly.

• Locked thread