Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EN Bullshit
Apr 5, 2012
If there's no requirement that it not break when only periods are entered, then I'm not considering that to be a bug. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shrughes posted:

The company's not in Madison, is it?

No. This is Melbourne FL.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

down with slavery posted:

Your first bug: breaks when you use a username that's all periods

Second bug/glaring oversight: No security.

You can view or edit any user's applications as long as you know their username.

Also, it will bomb if you enter a date in the wrong format:

quote:

ValidationError at /tracker/edit/20/
[u"'02/26/2014' value has an invalid date format. It must be in YYYY-MM-DD format."]

Unfortunately, the date/time picker will populate the chosen date in MM-DD-YYYY format, so sadness occurs.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 27, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Huh, that's weird. I have it set to require being logged in as the same user that made the app in order to change it. Last I checked, it worked. Also periods, I do need to do some bugtesting :stonk:

Also I could have sworn that I had the field initially populated in the correct format so that the datepicker would work correctly. It works on the Add page, why doesn't it work on the Edit page?

Thanks for the help guys, I'll fix these in a jiffy.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

Pollyanna posted:

I made a web app for keeping track of job applications you've submitted! Since this is the job thread and all, I thought people could use this while they're looking to :yotj:. You can sign up real quick and easy, no verification required.

http://app-tracker.herokuapp.com/tracker/

After hitting the "Go To my Applications" button I got this:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That appears to be covered under the username thing, where I didn't account for symbols. Which makes me think, should I allow them? Periods are fine, I think, but other things like @ and + and { and SELECT * DROP TABLE are more suspect.

By the way, any more bugs can be reported here as well (it'll let me know more quickly): https://github.com/rpazyaquian/django-tracker/issues

As for security: I know that there are big problems, but I don't know what those problems are :( Ithaqua, could you be more specific?

edit: Editing bug fixed, pushing in a sec

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 27, 2014

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Do the majority of SDET positions require you to do a lot of test case automation and manual testing? I like testing but my job used to be half test case automation and half manual testing, which was so mind numbing I think it was a major reason I burned out. I expanded my job search a bit to include SDET positions, but all the ones I've seen and talked to people about seem like they're exactly that.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

As for security: I know that there are big problems, but I don't know what those problems are :( Ithaqua, could you be more specific?

Visit this URL:
http://app-tracker.herokuapp.com/tracker/user/butts/

You can see that user's entries, even if you're not logged in. If you're logged in, you have the option to edit the entry. You apparently just fixed the issue where you can edit, but that seems like it was special-cased instead of being the general case with the application. I'm sure Django has some sort of membership provider.

DaVideo posted:

Do the majority of SDET positions require you to do a lot of test case automation and manual testing? I like testing but my job used to be half test case automation and half manual testing, which was so mind numbing I think it was a major reason I burned out. I expanded my job search a bit to include SDET positions, but all the ones I've seen and talked to people about seem like they're exactly that.

Depends on the company -- I interviewed for an SDET gig at Google, and the description made it sound a lot more like I would have been writing a custom testing framework instead of writing tests. Don't be afraid to ask... I've been in the same boat, I spent a few months a few years ago doing some test automation for a client and it was pretty mind-numbing after the first few weeks.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 27, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ithaqua posted:

Visit this URL:
http://app-tracker.herokuapp.com/tracker/user/butts/

You can see that user's entries, even if you're not logged in. If you're logged in, you have the option to edit the entry. You apparently just fixed the issue where you can edit, but that seems like it was special-cased instead of being the general case with the application. I'm sure Django has some sort of membership provider.

Well, what I had intended is that you could visit /user/username/ to see the applications that person had filled out. But, now that I think about it, maybe that's not a good idea.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

DaVideo posted:

A lot of companies call automation engineer roles SDET because it's more trendy job designation, but not all are like that. SDETs should be verifying that developers are writing testable code, participate in code reviews, develop test tools, and triage issues coming from the regular QA group.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
So, Pollyanna, are you getting an awful sinking feeling in your stomach as people find bugs? :)

Personally, I feel this way with every new project. At first, I'm getting my bearings in the new code. Then I'm feeling good and writing. Then the bugs come and it's all, "gently caress gently caress it's all coming apart what a shitshow." But it gets better and the Pit of Despair gets shallower and narrower each time.

Anyway, good on you to put this out there. Keep making improvements, because that's good practice. I think it will make your interviews easier.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah, having lots of horrible, embarassing bugs is normal.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
All code has bugs in it don't sweat it.

Edit: I get more nervous when I don't find any because that typically means something serious is lurking in the shadows.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If it ain't a bug in production should it even count?

There's no one to even get mad at you or any money being lost over it!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Pollyanna, you should implement a size limit in the description of applications. At the moment it appears to be trivial to DoS you by eating up all your database space. I don't know what AWS does to you if that happens, just doesn't let you add more data?

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Also you should add rainbows because that'd really make it pop!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Update week two: My boss mentioned tef's blog and also work kicks rear end. I deployed something (small) to production already!

We might be hiring again soon and I'll definitely reach out to Goons as a "pay it forward" for all the advice I got in this thread.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

Yeah, having lots of horrible, embarassing bugs is normal.

Yeah you're already doing more and paying more attention than Mt.Gox.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
Coderust is an app that helps you prepare for programming interviews.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sorry for not responding to bugs, I had surgery yesterday so I was out for most of it.

Mniot posted:

So, Pollyanna, are you getting an awful sinking feeling in your stomach as people find bugs? :)

Personally, I feel this way with every new project. At first, I'm getting my bearings in the new code. Then I'm feeling good and writing. Then the bugs come and it's all, "gently caress gently caress it's all coming apart what a shitshow." But it gets better and the Pit of Despair gets shallower and narrower each time.

Anyway, good on you to put this out there. Keep making improvements, because that's good practice. I think it will make your interviews easier.

I don't mind it. I'm a destroyer more than I am a creator, so finding flaws and breaking things is what I do, and what lets me improve things. Bugtesting helps a lot.

A side limit on the description does sound like a good idea. I had given it a text input field, but since I'm displaying it, probably not the best idea.

As for seeing user profiles, I've decided to disallow viewing any but your own.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Oh dear, the Google "recruiter" on my case quit already:

Google recruiter posted:

Thank you for your message - I'm no longer with Google.
If you need assistance, please reach out to your recruiter or Blake Mitchell (blakemitchell@google.com).

Thank you!
:lol: this process has been four weeks already.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

Oh dear, the Google "recruiter" on my case quit already:

:lol: this process has been four weeks already.

Similar thing happened to me, I wonder if they just have really high recruiter turnover.

My theory is that they fire recruiters if they recruit someone really lovely. That's what happened to mine.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ithaqua posted:

My theory is that they fire recruiters if they recruit someone really lovely. That's what happened to mine.

Don't get so down on yourself mang :ohdear:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Ithaqua posted:

Similar thing happened to me, I wonder if they just have really high recruiter turnover.

Recruiters cycle out fairly quickly. Rare to see one stay more than 6months. Most at my place of work are contractors probably on commission (And they make a lot, believe me)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is google still requiring a master's degree for their HR staff? Always thought that was up there with "VP reviews resumes" in inexplicable staffing decisions.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Don't get so down on yourself mang :ohdear:
lol

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

JawnV6 posted:

Is google still requiring a master's degree for their HR staff? Always thought that was up there with "VP reviews resumes" in inexplicable staffing decisions.

Pretty sure I'm aware of 2 HR folks who don't have Master's there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I fixed some of the bugs in my job tracker app, so here it is again! Let me know if there's still stuff broken.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

I'm graduating in April (software engineering) and I'm prodding job opportunities now. I'm changing careers so I've got some professional experience... and a whole lot of bills and no safety net. I'm pretty much desperate for a position starting on April 22nd.

Obviously I need to keep applying like crazy now, but I feel really awkward doing it. Everyone seems to want people now and I keep trying to make it obvious that I really want their jobs, but not until April. My current objective on my resume states something like "A blah blah blah blah super awesome and skilled blah blah seeking to begin a career in April 2014." Does anyone know if this is appropriate? Should I just mention it in my cover letters?

Also, when listing programming languages/frameworks, should I adjust the ones I use for different job applications? It seems like a lot but I'm wary about removing some, because if I have limited experience with one thing (say, C#), an employer might say "Oh well she knows Java and C, that should make any additional learning easy."

I'm generally just worried :ohdear:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Curiosity posted:

Obviously I need to keep applying like crazy now, but I feel really awkward doing it. Everyone seems to want people now and I keep trying to make it obvious that I really want their jobs, but not until April. My current objective on my resume states something like "A blah blah blah blah super awesome and skilled blah blah seeking to begin a career in April 2014." Does anyone know if this is appropriate? Should I just mention it in my cover letters?

Many positions will have a separate application (usually a web form) that will often have a field for "availability." If not, I would think it's more appropriate in your cover letter if you want to include it at all. Also, on your resume you'll have a section for education, which will include at least the month and year you are planning on graduating. An HR drone should be able to infer that you will be available after that, and if they can't, it will almost assuredly come up during the first interview (most likely a phone interview). It's one of the less important things you could include on a resume, don't worry about it so much.

As far as companies wanting you now, have you actually talked with a lot of companies that misconstrued your circumstances, or are you just drawing this conclusion from the job postings? I mean, nearly everyone is going to want the position to be filled as soon as possible. But if you're looking at appropriate positions (entry-level, Junior, 2 years of experience or less required, etc.), most of these companies are going to expect fresh graduates and as such, are going to expect most applicants to be available around the end of May at the earliest.

quote:

Also, when listing programming languages/frameworks, should I adjust the ones I use for different job applications? It seems like a lot but I'm wary about removing some, because if I have limited experience with one thing (say, C#), an employer might say "Oh well she knows Java and C, that should make any additional learning easy."

Lists of languages and skills really don't carry much weight beyond keyword matching for automated resume scanners, so keep whatever languages you've worked with on there, in a small section. Specific things you accomplished are going to say a lot more about what you can do. I know you probably don't have much, but you can at least draw from your big school projects. Bullet points like "Implemented a custom packet-based network communication protocol in C++," or whatever garbage you had to kludge together to make your project work, are things that say more than just "Languages: C++," especially if it's something you can expound upon during an interview if they ask about it.

But again, fresh grad. They aren't going to expect a lot of practical knowledge out of you, and as long as you can demonstrate basic competence with general programming principles, the language itself that a company is using shouldn't be a big roadblock.

Have you been applying to a lot of jobs lately and just haven't been getting any hits? Consider linking your resume in this thread, some of the goons here don't mind critiquing. I suggest redacting your name/address/email, etc. from the document first though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

Maybe from this article it's because their recruiters keep contacting people flagged with DO NOT CONTACT

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm asking this dumb naive question anyway: why don't they hire technical people to recruit technical people?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

wolffenstein posted:

I'm asking this dumb naive question anyway: why don't they hire technical people to recruit technical people?

Because technical people usually don't want to be in non-technical roles.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Hmm. Well, I'm not good enough to code despite my CS degree, but I'm too good for regular IT jobs. Seems like a decent fit for me.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

wolffenstein posted:

Hmm. Well, I'm not good enough to code despite my CS degree, but I'm too good for regular IT jobs. Seems like a decent fit for me.

So you wouldn't rather be in Testing/Automation/Ops, where you'd be paid more and have a more fulfilling job?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

(I have probably asked this before, but) I'm figuring out a list of jobs that I should apply to that are appropriate for my skill level. So far I've come up with:

• Junior/Entry-level QA
  • Bugfixing
  • Web dev intern
  • ?

For someone who is relatively new and inexperienced, what sort of positions should I be aiming for besides these?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

wolffenstein posted:

Honestly if you went through an entire CS degree and can't program in a professional capacity you've probably got way bigger problems than finding a job. Hopefully you're just suffering from some severe impostor syndrome, otherwise you should have really managed your time better in school.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

down with slavery posted:

Honestly if you went through an entire CS degree and can't program in a professional capacity you've probably got way bigger problems than finding a job. Hopefully you're just suffering from some severe impostor syndrome, otherwise you should have really managed your time better in school.

My GitHub says otherwise but I'm both too specialized and too general at the same time. I know my poo poo about everything Apple but no one's hiring Apple IT people, and I'm too spread out in programming languages that I'm not specialized enough for most jobs I see.

Might be the depression talking though. Or I read too much into tef's tweets.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

wolffenstein posted:

I don't even need to look at your github to know that it is the depression talking. The market is insane right now, even having a passing understanding of code is enough to get an entry level job these days. Nobody is hiring Apple IT people? Apple alone has 260 IT positions open, maybe start there?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

wolffenstein posted:

My GitHub says otherwise but I'm both too specialized and too general at the same time. I know my poo poo about everything Apple but no one's hiring Apple IT people, and I'm too spread out in programming languages that I'm not specialized enough for most jobs I see.

Have you even tried applying somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Pollyanna posted:

I fixed some of the bugs in my job tracker app, so here it is again! Let me know if there's still stuff broken.

You should set a lower limit to password length. I managed to sign up with a 3 letter password.