Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

c355n4 posted:

Poor Miata. How many birds did you piss off?

It's OK, it's only a 1.6L car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
hahaha. well 1.6 cars are just vvt swaps that haven't happened yet. I love how the car behind it is spotless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

:smuggo: Oh the miata hierarchy.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Phone posted:

Words can still hurt :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1.6's are actually pretty fun to rev the piss out of, but when you can get a BP Miata for a little bit more it's pointless to buy one imo, unless you can find one REALLY cheap.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Made a video of my saturday project, testing the new roadstersport 3 on the jackstands. Plus a little open exhaust blip, would be better if i wasnt too lazy to put proper tension on my belts :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MrU-9QDoU&hd=1

Its odd, at idle its as quiet as stock, cruising on the freeway its barely audible, but when you stomp the gas it sounds like all 4 cylinder hell is breaking loose.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of the biggest disappointments of Miata ownership for me was that my car sounded like a Honda.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I just got a new muffler for my NC, looking forward to that sweet Honda sound.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Made a video of my saturday project, testing the new roadstersport 3 on the jackstands. Plus a little open exhaust blip, would be better if i wasnt too lazy to put proper tension on my belts :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MrU-9QDoU&hd=1

Its odd, at idle its as quiet as stock, cruising on the freeway its barely audible, but when you stomp the gas it sounds like all 4 cylinder hell is breaking loose.

It looks like you still have the tip insert/baffle in, have you tried it with it out? I've never had mine in and I was getting a little annoyed by the noise for daily driving so I'm going to try it.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

GOD IS BED posted:

I just got a new muffler for my NC, looking forward to that sweet Honda sound.

What'd you get and can you do before and after sounds? So many of the videos on Youtube only show 'after' and don't include a baseline for whatever recording situation they're in, so they're not as useful as they could be.

If mine makes it out of the shop, new exhaust is on my to-do list.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

At least supercharged miata's sound great.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

televiper posted:

What'd you get and can you do before and after sounds? So many of the videos on Youtube only show 'after' and don't include a baseline for whatever recording situation they're in, so they're not as useful as they could be.

If mine makes it out of the shop, new exhaust is on my to-do list.

I got the Motorsport Race muffler from Goodwin Racing, and I will definitely take a good before and after video. Unfortunately, I'm moving into a new house, so it will likely be mid March before I can get it installed.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

It is 2 degrees outside and my temp gauge in my NA was already reading low, but got lower when I got off of surface streets and onto the interstate. Could that be anything other than a stuck thermostat? I don't know when the timing belt was last done, should I just get that, the waterpump and the t-stat all done at the same time?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dying alternator.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
So, last week the car hit an ice curb, got some air and slammed the front passenger rim into the ground. The steel rim is toast and had to be replaced.

This week I notice the top of the tire on that side is about half inch closer to the fender lip. Nothing seems terribly bend out of shape suspension wise at a cursory glance. Could it be a blown shock?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was in a minor accident in a miata like that and didnt realise the subframe was bent until the A arms were off of the car (despite the mount looking ok at first, it had bent elsewhere). Wheels not being where they should be is usually a pretty serious issue :(

e: i read your post at first of the wheel being improperly located fore and aft, not up and down, still give a close look to your A arms and subframe in addition to the shocks (check those for leaking fluid)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'm trying to buy a Miata, did some negotiations with a dealer. I was wondering what goons thought of the price as far as fair/not fair. I have a big effortpost on Miata.net where I'm also asking them: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=532789

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Update on mt squeaky rear suspension: I cranked down the rear most eccentric bolt with a breaker bar and it went away. Whelp, looks like I'm getting an alignment when I put my summer wheels back on.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Harmburger, that price seems a bit high for the oldest NC style, in my opinion. If the dealer will fix the blemishes and tires, then ok, but if they don't budge, I'd walk.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Also, check to make sure the TSB for 06-07s about upgrading the drainage system has been performed. I didn't think to check with mine, and it flooded :\

With the low miles, I'd say that's an ok-enough deal if it's got everything you want.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

televiper posted:

Also, check to make sure the TSB for 06-07s about upgrading the drainage system has been performed. I didn't think to check with mine, and it flooded :\

With the low miles, I'd say that's an ok-enough deal if it's got everything you want.
Any way to be sure of the upgrade visually, or should I try to call around and see where it was serviced?
It's got almost everything I could want, only missing the suspension package.

GOD IS BED posted:

Harmburger, that price seems a bit high for the oldest NC style, in my opinion. If the dealer will fix the blemishes and tires, then ok, but if they don't budge, I'd walk.

Yeah, it's pretty high and more than I'd really /like/ to pay, but it's got low miles for the age. I'll hold out for the blemishes and tires.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. More than willing to hear what others have to say.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Harmburger posted:

Any way to be sure of the upgrade visually, or should I try to call around and see where it was serviced?
It's got almost everything I could want, only missing the suspension package.

It involves adding some drain grates and improving the drain tubes, if I recall, so, yeah, it's an easy visual check once you get to it, but some interior components need to come out to get to it. Calling its home garage might be easier and faster.

My understanding of the factory sports suspension package is that it's not worth it and that you're better off putting in Konis or Bilsteins on your own.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You just want to make sure that you have the LSD and the 6 speed.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you guys think a NB in good shape with 50k miles is worth (or a NC, for that matter)?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

What do you guys think a NB in good shape with 50k miles is worth (or a NC, for that matter)?

Lotta variables in there dude. The big one being how the market is in your area.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harmburger posted:

I'm trying to buy a Miata, did some negotiations with a dealer. I was wondering what goons thought of the price as far as fair/not fair. I have a big effortpost on Miata.net where I'm also asking them: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=532789

I just got an 06 Touring with 59K for $9000. Shop around some more if you want to get a good deal. Or have Leica start posting Miatas in Florida.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Just snapped the timing belt. I thought it was a 60k interval?

Where am I going to get a kit on Sunday dammit this is my only working car at the moment :argh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, I'd be kinda worried about that engine. Miatas don't snap timing belts unless if you buy engines from back to back goon owners.

Go to Napa and get a Bando tb.

(I still need to teardown the 97 1.8L in my garage)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Just buttoned up the bottom end on my buddy's 1.8 rebuild. It's been two years in the making. Once the RTV on the pan cures, head goes on.

Might even have it in his car by 2015.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone happen to have an OEM Nardi steering wheel they aren't using? I'd even take an old school OEM 3 spoke if somebody has one of those.

The leather on mine is disintegrating thanks to ToolShack's greasy hands. And I hate the four spoke wheels anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$1000 for a 1990 5 speed, what are the deal breakers?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Rust. Anything else is solved with monies.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

leica posted:

Anyone happen to have an OEM Nardi steering wheel they aren't using? I'd even take an old school OEM 3 spoke if somebody has one of those.

The leather on mine is disintegrating thanks to ToolShack's greasy hands. And I hate the four spoke wheels anyway.

They are the same in protégés and others plus/minus cruise controls. Upper models have leather. I have pictures in my thread putting one in the green car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iv46vi posted:

Rust. Anything else is solved with monies.

Rockers are the bad zone, where else is critical to check?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Rockers, "frame rails" underneath, around the windshield, door bottoms.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Short nose crank, too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

Short nose crank, too.

Yeah if it seems low on power, (lower then then the low it started with) the crank might be bad. The good news is it probably needs tons of other work including a clutch so just consider it an excuse for an engine swap. You can also sometimes loctite fix the pulley for not that much money or effort. I would be more concerned with rust.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
For a 25 year old car the failure would have already happen, no?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Larrymer posted:

Short nose crank, too.

If you can do the wrenching yourself a junkyard 1.6l is like $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was offered one for free once.