Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Deuce posted:

Ask them if they ever once expressed this belief before it became obvious that marriage equality was going to be a thing.

Now now, let's be fair. They've been saying this (with the same implications that straight peoples' marriages somehow aren't "government intervention" and would thus be protected) since at least 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hedera Helix posted:

Now now, let's be fair. They've been saying this (with the same implications that straight peoples' marriages somehow aren't "government intervention" and would thus be protected) since at least 2004.

The intellectually honest ones are in favor of treating straight marriages the same way. It's really an attempt to divorce the legal, governmental aspects of marriage (the "civil union" part) from the religious aspects once and for all.

Of course religion has fairly well lost its grip on this specific issue regardless over the past two years, but I'm sure there will be another marriage fight in 50 years or so on another topic (I'm betting polamory/polygamy personally). In the abstract it would be desirable to short-circuit these future fights altogether by just separating out the religious aspects and directly recognizing the thing we want (stable family units). Whether you think that separating religion out would actually aid those future fights is another matter, one that probably depends on your opinion of the intellectual honesty of religious folk and so on.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 1, 2014

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Not to break from libertarian chat, but the Georgia bills have been tabled due to a ton of backlash http://huff.to/1htgk4B. Hopefully it's for good, but considering that we have politicians who've said that homosexuality is satanic, I have a feeling this won't be the last of this. gently caress this state. :(

lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 1, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

lambeth posted:

Not to break from libertarian chat, but the Georgia bills have been tabled due to a ton of backlash http://huff.to/1htgk4B. Hopefully it's for good, but considering that we have politicians who've said that homosexuality is satanic, I have a feeling this won't be the last of this. gently caress this state. :(

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure all forms of Satanism openly embrace homosexuality, or most other forms of sexual "deviancy" that are between consenting adults that don't harm others. So they're not technically wrong.

PS: Hail Satan. :worship::rock::devil:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lambeth posted:

I figured that the similar bills that hadn't already died were going to get quietly put away after the Arizona debacle. It's just shocking that this was pushed in an election year, but then again Tea Party nuts don't seem to give a drat.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Morter posted:

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure all forms of Satanism openly embrace homosexuality, or most other forms of sexual "deviancy" that are between consenting adults that don't harm others. So they're not technically wrong.

PS: Hail Satan. :worship::rock::devil:
The Church of Satan, also specifically worships (in code) Ayn Rand. Guess Georgian Republicans just hate the Free Market :smug:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
It has been said often here, but I really am impressed by the change this decade has brought.

NYT token "reasonable" conservative:

Can't imagine THAT being written in 2004.

(The full opinion is full of maudlin' handwringin' equivocatin' privilegin', but the very existence of the piece shows the author nonetheless recognizes the way the wind blows.)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ecureuilmatrix posted:

It has been said often here, but I really am impressed by the change this decade has brought.

(The full opinion is full of maudlin' handwringin' equivocatin' privilegin', but the very existence of the piece shows the author nonetheless recognizes the way the wind blows.)

:laffo: Cardinal Douthat. Right up there with George Will's "the gays are being poor sports" line from earlier today:

quote:

“That’s a settled issue,” the pundit noted. “That said, this too must be said: It’s a funny kind of sore winner in the gay rights movement that would say, ‘A photographer doesn’t want to photograph my wedding — I’ve got lots of other photographers I could go to, but I’m going to use the hammer of government to force them to do this.’”

“It’s not neighborly and it’s not nice,” he added. “The gay rights movement is winning. They should be, as I say, not sore winners.”

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Them drat Negroes should just go to lunch where they're wanted instead of makin' me serve 'em!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That Douthat piece isn't bad in broad strokes but he tries to pull off a sleight of hand where the Arizona bill was a negotiated surrender akin to the exemptions in same sex marriage bills. Arizona was offering nothing to gay couples and exemptions in marriage laws are never for secular businesses open to the public.

quote:

Never mind that in Arizona it’s currently legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation — and mass discrimination isn’t exactly breaking out.
Conservatives really don't get that this argument is terrible and makes them look more interested in the rights of religious bakers than gay people just trying to get a job or rent a home. I wonder if an "ENDA + wedding service exemptions" bill would have fared better. 2014 is probably too late for that, but there was a lot of room for compromise in the last 10 years instead of letting Northeast set the agenda while the rest of the country was locked down.

quote:

Christians had plenty of opportunities — thousands of years’ worth — to treat gay people with real charity, and far too often chose intolerance. (And still do, in many instances and places.) So being marginalized, being sued, losing tax-exempt status — this will be uncomfortable, but we should keep perspective and remember our sins, and nobody should call it persecution.
Insight!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Was just about to say that part was almost Christian, with all the stuff about bearing the sins of our fathers. He's so close to getting it.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 3, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Ross Douche-hat posted:

gay marriage’s intellectual progenitor, Andrew Sullivan

Since when has Andrew Sullivan been "gay marriage’s intellectual progenitor"?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hangedman1984 posted:

Since when has Andrew Sullivan been "gay marriage’s intellectual progenitor"?

It's not totally unfair. He's been pushing it as the beginning and end of all LGBT issues since the late eighties.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Dusseldorf posted:

It's not totally unfair. He's been pushing it as the beginning and end of all LGBT issues since the late eighties.

Yeah, but phrasing it as "progenitor" is misleading in that it implies that he somehow started the idea. Like gays were just sitting around thinking "yeah, sex is great, and I like boyfriends/girlfriends, but there's just nothing else available for me to want" and Sullivan just showed up and said "hey, let's all try to get married!" or something.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, but phrasing it as "progenitor" is misleading in that it implies that he somehow started the idea. Like gays were just sitting around thinking "yeah, sex is great, and I like boyfriends/girlfriends, but there's just nothing else available for me to want" and Sullivan just showed up and said "hey, let's all try to get married!" or something.

Well more like gay political groups were worried about getting beaten to death in the streets and GRID (at the time) and Andrew Sullivan came around and said they shouldn't worry about all that and should try to push for marriage.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

comes along bort posted:

:laffo: Cardinal Douthat. Right up there with George Will's "the gays are being poor sports" line from earlier today:

I hope I never hear someone drop that "hammer of government" line in my presence. It's so incredibly disingenuous to moan about gays using laws to stop discrimination when 20(?) states had it written into their constitutions that gays can't get married. And states continue to try to pass things like the recent Kansas/Arizona/Georgia bills just to get as much hurt in as possible before everything gets taken care of at the national level. Yes, please tell me how the hammer of government has been used to make life so unbearable for all you poor anti-SSM people out there.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

We're in day 5 of 8 of the trial in Michigan and the State's first witness graduated with his bachelor's degree in 2008. Somehow, I don't think a guy my age can be considered an expert to the level required by a court with only 6 years of post-degree experience.

... the judge agrees. :laugh:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nth Doctor posted:

We're in day 5 of 8 of the trial in Michigan and the State's first witness graduated with his bachelor's degree in 2008. Somehow, I don't think a guy my age can be considered an expert to the level required by a court with only 6 years of post-degree experience.

... the judge agrees. :laugh:

Don't they only have, like, six expert witnesses to draw from? None of them seemed particularly stellar. If they all get struck for being inadequate, the plaintiffs would likely get a walkover win.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Rumors are that Regnerus may be a witness. On one hand, it pisses me off that someone blatantly dishonest like him gets to be the public face of sociology for a while. On the other, I would absolutely love to see him have to answer things under oath.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Teddybear posted:

Don't they only have, like, six expert witnesses to draw from? None of them seemed particularly stellar. If they all get struck for being inadequate, the plaintiffs would likely get a walkover win.

It is pretty surprising that the state is doing such a piss-poor job about defending the ban. They don't seem to be putting anything forward at all or even calling real witnesses. The entire country over and they can't find anyone?

I mean, I'm super happy about their incompetency, but it's just weird. But that's Michigan for you, run by the madmen.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is pretty surprising that the state is doing such a piss-poor job about defending the ban. They don't seem to be putting anything forward at all or even calling real witnesses. The entire country over and they can't find anyone?

I mean, I'm super happy about their incompetency, but it's just weird. But that's Michigan for you, run by the madmen.

Perhaps an appeal on incompetence and then bump the case back down in a re-trial to keep The Gays away until ~2020?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gerund posted:

Perhaps an appeal on incompetence and then bump the case back down in a re-trial to keep The Gays away until ~2020?

What if Justice Scalia rides in on a stallion and beheads the judge just before he reads his verdict?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What if Justice Scalia rides in on a stallion and beheads the judge just before he reads his verdict?

"Shocking, but not out of character" -WaPo Supremes reporter

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Not to be rude, but I'm pretty sure everyone here is discussing what's going to happen after that. Because that's a given.

:v:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

joepinetree posted:

Rumors are that Regnerus may be a witness. On one hand, it pisses me off that someone blatantly dishonest like him gets to be the public face of sociology for a while. On the other, I would absolutely love to see him have to answer things under oath.

Follow the mlive livestream. Regenerus is currently testifying.
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/03/live_from_the_courthouse_day_5.html#comments

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Then a bunch of state and appellate judges double down, and find ways to cite that beheading in support of rulings that same-sex marriage is not only legal but compulsory.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6b28_story.html

The Washington Post posted:

WASHINGTON — Arizona recently showed the rest of the nation how difficult it can be to balance the religious rights of some with the guarantees all have to be treated equally and protected from discrimination.

The Supreme Court will decide this month whether that is an effort it is ready to undertake.

[The case] involves a New Mexico couple, Elaine and Jonathan Huguenin, whose company, Elane Photography, refused to be the official photographer for the 2007 commitment ceremony of a lesbian couple, Vanessa Willock and Misti Collinsworth.

This is the case that inspired the creation of the Arizona bill recently vetoed by Jan Brewer.

E: My experience with copyright law makes me not comfortable pasting in the entire article. Go read it if you want the whole thing. Here's the summary:

Defendant: A Jewish tattoo artist shouldn't be compelled to ink “a giant swastika on someone’s forearm.”

Plaintiff: “Whatever service you provide, you must not discriminate against customers when you engage in public commerce.”

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 3, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

What if Justice Scalia rides in on a stallion and beheads

Will his head grow back? He sounds like a Marvel villain.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

quote:

[The case] involves a New Mexico couple, Elaine and Jonathan Huguenin, whose company, Elane Photography,

Did she misspell her own name on the incorporation paperwork or something?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zero VGS posted:

Will his head grow back? He sounds like a Marvel villain.

I was thinking an incredibly lazy Time Lord, myself.

"They call me Regenerus, because I regenerate. :geno:"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chokes McGee posted:

I was thinking an incredibly lazy Time Lord, myself.

You would.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

cruft posted:

Defendant: A Jewish tattoo artist shouldn't be compelled to ink “a giant swastika on someone’s forearm.”

Wait, can Jewish people even be tattooists? Or does the ban only apply to getting tattoos themselves?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, can Jewish people even be tattooists? Or does the ban only apply to getting tattoos themselves?

I presume reform Jews can do whatever they like including give + get tattoos. But I started GISing:

(apparently)

:smith:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The ban only applies to getting.
Lev. 19:28
(and would include scarification, too)
On the other hand, there are interpretations that only idolatrous tattoos are prohibited.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Uh, a Jewish tattoo artist refusing to make a swastika tattoo is not religion related. Unless they somehow got so retarded and thought the Holocaust was an ancient holy way and part of the Torah or something.

Someone should really ask them sharia related situations. Like, a Muslim man allowed to refuse service to kafir aka infidel aka most of everyone else. A Muslim fireman or health worker refusing to touch a woman not his wife or family or refusing service to women not covered. Note that most Muslims don't think like that but someone should really ask these chucklefucks how much they would be supporting the sharia law with this law and watch them squirm.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm ethically okay with Jews refusing to serve Nazis because you shouldn't have to serve people you feel physically threatened by. Gay couples don't have a history of violence toward evangelical Christians.

wid posted:

Someone should really ask them sharia related situations. Like, a Muslim man allowed to refuse service to kafir aka infidel aka most of everyone else. A Muslim fireman or health worker refusing to touch a woman not his wife or family or refusing service to women not covered. Note that most Muslims don't think like that but someone should really ask these chucklefucks how much they would be supporting the sharia law with this law and watch them squirm.
Reminds me of conservative cartoonist Mike Lester's recent cartoon. He's taking the "I hate Muslims more than gay people" path.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 4, 2014

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Good morning Equaligoons! Don't forget that today a Marvel Villain is getting cross examined on the stand for being a shitheel at data collection and possibly fabricating a study. :woop:

Yesterday's comment stream. Typically the reporter has been putting a link to the next day once it is posted.

My best guess as to today's URL

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This dude looks awesome. I want to be this dude when I'm older.

Maybe without the melanoma tho (or nazi tattoo, while we're at it).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Good morning Equaligoons! Don't forget that today a Marvel Villain is getting cross examined on the stand for being a shitheel at data collection and possibly fabricating a study. :woop:

Yesterday's comment stream. Typically the reporter has been putting a link to the next day once it is posted.

My best guess as to today's URL

Regenerus did not have a good day on the stand today.

quote:

Regnerus said his study didn't address causation, and the same-sex relationship may have nothing to do with the negative outcomes of the children studied. Regnerus "expects" that societal perceptions and "stigma" of gay coupling has changed since the children in the study were young.

quote:

Cooper: The NFSS study documented differences between groups but did "not concern itself with the magnitude of those differences?"

Regnerus: "That is correct."

quote:

Cooper reading from statement by Amato. Amato says the study was not intended to affirm or undermine the status of gay marriage and should "not be used to press" any political agenda.

Amato said this is how it was used by conservatives and by Regnerus himself.
Whoops.

Also, UT distanced themselves from his study yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can't they just like, revoke his degree?

• Locked thread