Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If somebody casts Burden of Time, and a unit cannot age (equipment/unique fountain of youth artifact), will BoT override this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

Currently yes, after the next patch hits they won't age anymore.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Decrepus posted:

You need to recruit Scouts from every province that can recruit them every single turn. Use repeat recruitment. If you are unlucky and don't get scout provinces just go AI. Scouts will give you a rough estimation of the enemy force in the province which will often be terribly off and cause you to die. A scout might report that there are some militia and archers and leave out the information about two powerful air mages backing them up.

You can use your scouts (or independent commanders, 40g always recruit these also) set to Retreat orders and put them at the back of the battlefield and then attack a province. This will give you a totally 100% accurate look at the enemy in the province so you can guess what you need to send there and formations to use etc.

Years of RTS experience have ingrained "ALWAYS BE SCOUTING" into my psyche, and the second I figured out that Pangaea can recruit Harpies from any forest province they became my new favorite nation. Does anyone beat Pangaea when it comes to scouting ability? After like 20 turns I see all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Years of RTS experience have ingrained "ALWAYS BE SCOUTING" into my psyche, and the second I figured out that Pangaea can recruit Harpies from any forest province they became my new favorite nation. Does anyone beat Pangaea when it comes to scouting ability? After like 20 turns I see all.

I have the opposite problem. My RTS experience has left me with the dumb habit of "scouting in force". Which essentially means not doing much scouting at all, instead using huge stacks of units as a combined scout/conquest force. This habit is annoyingly hard to break. It also doesn't help that I'm right now in a MP-game where I have no scouts and can recruit no scouts. (I only had one, lonely scout. But thanks to our gimmick map, there is no place I could recruit more like him, regardless of how many forts I build. And now this scout has been killed of in the deep sea. Stupid squid-people! :argh:)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pomp posted:

Ur can recruit scouts from any owned province.

But both harpies and Ur scouts lack the Spy trait, so while you can see the general shape of things faster, you still want a few real scouts.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Decrepus posted:

If you are unlucky and don't get scout provinces just go AI.
I can't tell if this is a joke. It's a lovely idea if it isn't.

Penguingo posted:

I've only won a couple games, I might join in as Mictlan.
Ok, this one is funny.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm willing to drop from the newbie game if I'm not enough of a newbie anymore. :shobon: I don't want to take a slot from someone who honestly does have less experience than me. I just can't seem to withdraw my application since I was the last one to sign up, so if the admin of the game wants to do that?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We could probably just start a second game, there seems to be enough interest.

I haven't played a mp dom4 game yet but I'd be interested.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
"I haven't won much" is pretty true for all Dom players since only one person (until disciples) can win. If you can handle communions, mage scripting, army scripting, expansion, research, scouting and economy to some degree, I'd say you are no longer a newb.

That being said, since everyone is talking about how domkill nations suck, what about a game where the only nations allowed are domkill? (Asphodel, Lemuria, Ermor, LA Rlyeh)

I wonder how that game would go. Call it "gently caress the 99%"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I still gently caress up everything on that list other than economy (and I'm pretty sure that's only because I basically always go full scales) :v:

I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm not dead in Newblood is the fact that everyone's pretty non-agressive.

edit: Since the game's already up I'll upload my pretender and stuff, but if another newbie wants to switch out with me and play as MA Man, I'll be happy to let them sub in!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We could probably just start a second game, there seems to be enough interest.

I haven't played a mp dom4 game yet but I'd be interested.

If a new game starts I'd be pleased as peaches to get in on a newbie game. I've only ever done single player.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

"I haven't won much" is pretty true for all Dom players since only one person (until disciples) can win. If you can handle communions, mage scripting, army scripting, expansion, research, scouting and economy to some degree, I'd say you are no longer a newb.

That being said, since everyone is talking about how domkill nations suck, what about a game where the only nations allowed are domkill? (Asphodel, Lemuria, Ermor, LA Rlyeh)

I wonder how that game would go. Call it "gently caress the 99%"

That would be a great idea for the rear end in a top hat-factor alone. Also I call dibs on Lemuria.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

MA Man. 200g temples and you can get 25g scout-monks from anywhere.

On UW Scout Chat - fortunately every single claimed underwater province is going to be forted eventually, so you can assume it's a total loving deathtrap.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 1, 2014

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Rather than arguing about who is really newb enough it would be better if people hosting newb games just made some explicit condition like "You should have played under X mplayer games" or whatever

Does anyone have a strategy suggestion for playing a blood-hunt nation without reaching deep into blood magic? I'm playing LA Bogarus in a mplayer game right now and I really like their magic diversity, but being able to summon sweet patrollers for 1 air gem means I'm still tempted to run a middling blood economy. Is getting level 1 blood magic for reinvigorations and then funneling the rest of my slaves into blood gear (like lifelong protection) worth the investment in blood hunting? Or am I an idiot and I should go deep into blood for its endgame stuff?

edit: I'm also looking at imp familiars but +3 research seems really meh, and they have a horrormark chance....

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 1, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheresNoThyme posted:

Does anyone have a strategy suggestion for playing a blood-hunt nation without reaching deep into blood magic?
Uh not really a thing. At least get the ability to Ritual of the Five Gates so you can build some kind of demon force going to gently caress up your enemies and especially their scripting.

Bogarus can do blood with FFAs. Go for it. The chance of horrors appearing is tied to your magic scales IIRC, and there's no reason not to run Drain-3 as Bogarus. Imp Familiars are kinda pish, though, agreed, but you have access to every research booster.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Uh not really a thing. At least get the ability to Ritual of the Five Gates so you can build some kind of demon force going to gently caress up your enemies and especially their scripting.

Bogarus can do blood with FFAs. Go for it.

Yea I'm sure I can get a robust blood economy rolling, my main concern is that I think their mages are good enough to do all kinds of stuff - thaum, enchantment and obviously evo all seem like solid schools to research heavily. Which means blood research probably won't make it to the sweet stuff before I'm eliminated due to some terrible newb mistake.

Ritual of the five gates sounds like a good intermediary point, I'll test it out in SP and see how I like it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do I go faster?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

amuayse posted:

How do I go faster?

Boots of Quickness? :iiam:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He doesn't have a boot slot.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh well, better throw 50 water gems at him.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kitfox88 posted:

Boots of Quickness? :iiam:

Dimensional rod.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Chainmail of Displacement :pseudo:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Hey, if you missed out on the other newbie game and are sad about that, you can join the new one I made. Details are in the PGS thread.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm excited, I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm going to go balls to the wall with blood magic.

I'm looking forward to actually figuring out what I'm doing in this thing, I can't wait to show off my EA R'lyeh pretender: Polyp'nomial

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
In Grampa's Closet:

Ashdod does not fear fire. Ashdod does not fear little arrows. Ashdod laughs at little fire arrows.

300 Pygmies vs 29 Double bless giants. I think if you took the sum of the damage dealt overall to the giants by the pygmies, it still wouldn't be enough to kill a single giant.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Victor Vermis posted:

In Grampa's Closet:

Ashdod does not fear fire. Ashdod does not fear little arrows. Ashdod laughs at little fire arrows.

300 Pygmies vs 29 Double bless giants. I think if you took the sum of the damage dealt overall to the giants by the pygmies, it still wouldn't be enough to kill a single giant.

On that day, humanity received a grim reminder

Can we still hit up server hosts to host games on the pubbie service, or are we on our own for that?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pomp posted:

Imagine an AoT mod! :P

murtidash
Apr 28, 2003
Rawr!

Pomp posted:

Can we still hit up server hosts to host games on the pubbie service, or are we on our own for that?

For now I'm going to say that it depends for me. I don't mind hosting public games for goons right now but if it becomes too much of a pain in the rear end then I'm going to stop and only host all goon games.

On a similar note, what is the biggest barrier for more people than just Tenjou to host right now? Is it a dedicated computer always on/connected to the net? Is it not knowing how? Is it people not trusting their home internet and wanting a server? I ask because a few people are currently speccing out/talking about an app to automate all facets of game hosting and give people a way to plug their servers into it so you could like get a small AWS instance, install dominions, run our executable and then use our site to do all the config/settings/admin/etc. We don't have a schedule or anything so please don't consider it a thing but we're all pretty into it and think it would be a fun project.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

How do I go faster?

Jade Armour?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

murtidash posted:

For now I'm going to say that it depends for me. I don't mind hosting public games for goons right now but if it becomes too much of a pain in the rear end then I'm going to stop and only host all goon games.

On a similar note, what is the biggest barrier for more people than just Tenjou to host right now? Is it a dedicated computer always on/connected to the net? Is it not knowing how? Is it people not trusting their home internet and wanting a server? I ask because a few people are currently speccing out/talking about an app to automate all facets of game hosting and give people a way to plug their servers into it so you could like get a small AWS instance, install dominions, run our executable and then use our site to do all the config/settings/admin/etc. We don't have a schedule or anything so please don't consider it a thing but we're all pretty into it and think it would be a fun project.

It's the always connected part, for me. poo poo goes down all the time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Imagine an AoT mod! :P

So Hinnom then?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK put in my registration for the goon game service. Is there a steam group too? Can't wait to be bad at this game with goons.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

murtidash posted:

Definitely the always-on connection for me since my ISP is terrible, but I think the convenience of providing an admin app that would handle hosting duties for people would be huge. I'm a programmer and I'm very confident I could host a dom game if I just sat down and RTFM, but I was still planning to use the public host posted in PGS for a small game with my coworkers.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

OK put in my registration for the goon game service. Is there a steam group too? Can't wait to be bad at this game with goons.

Use IRC. I'm only two games in but so far it's a million times easier to find people and get messages back and forth.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
There are some Dominions players who will attack anyone who doesn't use IRC because it makes diplo too difficult. Use IRC!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
We have a bot in IRC that allows for asynchronous messaging, like this:

.tell MrBims gently caress you

So it is really really good to come on IRC even if its just like once a day, just so you can establish some kind of communication with other players without messing with the ingame system that can take up to two days just to get a response.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I've heard a lot that the Ghost King is a preferred expansion chassis but he seems kind of fragile to me. I assume he's expected to be self-buffing. What spells would he want to have access to for the purposes of using him this way?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MagnumOpus posted:

I've heard a lot that the Ghost King is a preferred expansion chassis
Preferred by who?

Like they're ethereal I guess, but Dom 2 -> Dom 9 is a bit expensive for a chassis which gets ganked pretty loving hard by anything with magic weapons, and a whole bunch of specific magic to combat the undead.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MagnumOpus posted:

I've heard a lot that the Ghost King is a preferred expansion chassis but he seems kind of fragile to me. I assume he's expected to be self-buffing. What spells would he want to have access to for the purposes of using him this way?

He hasn't been since dom2 really. Dragons are the most popular expansion chassis these days.

If you want to make the GK work, you'd probably want to craft him some armor and take dom9. Black steel or enchanted ring mail will work. Also probably worth bumping death up so you get fear 10. Even then, he's kinda fragile and you would have to pay close attention to dominion score as he should never ever go into hostile dom while expanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MagnumOpus posted:

Always go dragon always go AI.

• Locked thread