Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The answer is always "better cooling".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

The answer is always "better cooling".

Until you reach your tdp cap :smith: im bios modded and running at my max overclock and the fans never go past 40%

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ignoarints posted:

Until you reach your tdp cap :smith: im bios modded and running at my max overclock and the fans never go past 40%

I'm BIOS modded and running at my max overclock and the temps never go above 32 Celsius. drat 750ti.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the 750ti limited to a max of 75W given that it is only getting power though the PCIe slot and has no 6 or 8 pin connectors?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Michymech posted:

Isn't the 750ti limited to a max of 75W given that it is only getting power though the PCIe slot and has no 6 or 8 pin connectors?

Some of them have a 6-pin for giggles.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Michymech posted:

I look forward to seeing people buy $200 motherboards for improved overclocking on their $150 videocards (or burning out their $150 motherboards).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Technically, PCIe 2.1 (I think) and newer slots/devices can do 150W from the slot, but in the interest of backwards compatibility with PCIe 1.0/2.0, cards with more than 75W of power draw get it partly from an aux connector.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alereon posted:

I look forward to seeing people buy $200 motherboards for improved overclocking on their $150 videocards (or burning out their $150 motherboards).

Quite a few cheaper motherboards have the extra molex connector for supplying more power to the PCI express lanes. That one bitcoin mining one from Asrock is only $69 and has TWO :smug:.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
score

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hopefully this means the 8xx series will be announced tomorrow.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

doin the rain dance

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the 8xx series aren't coming out until Q3 2014 at the earliest. I do want to upgrade my 660ti but I want to get a card at least 1.5 times more powerful with 4GB of VRAM that isn't gimped to 192-bit for $400 or less. I would get an R9 290 for my birthday in April but I doubt the prices will come down by then because of these stupid buttcoin miners.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I thought the 8xx series aren't coming out until Q3 2014 at the earliest. I do want to upgrade my 660ti but I want to get a card at least 1.5 times more powerful with 4GB of VRAM that isn't gimped to 192-bit for $400 or less. I would get an R9 290 for my birthday in April but I doubt the prices will come down by then because of these stupid buttcoin miners.

he was joking that since I bought two old gen cards the next gen is coming out tomorrow

to be fair even if it did, it was a pretty good deal. Trying to figure out sli now

edit: 174 fps on bf4 max settings lmao, 100 when everything is loving exploding. I did notice that sli stutter every once in a while but its so minor. First time in like 5 years I see no need to overclock

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 1, 2014

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Ignoarints posted:

he was joking that since I bought two old gen cards the next gen is coming out tomorrow

to be fair even if it did, it was a pretty good deal. Trying to figure out sli now

edit: 174 fps on bf4 max settings lmao, 100 when everything is loving exploding. I did notice that sli stutter every once in a while but its so minor. First time in like 5 years I see no need to overclock

Post a pic of your setup? I'm pretty interested in how you have them laid out and what cooling you've got. :)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Guni posted:

Post a pic of your setup? I'm pretty interested in how you have them laid out and what cooling you've got. :)

Oh it's truly nothing special and there is no planned layout of any kind or organization. It's in a lovely old antec 300 case, cooling consists of a thermatake perfomer 2.0 I got for $55 or something and case fans in every orifice available.

Of course there is a little more than meets the eye but it's basically what you see. Delidded i5 4670k @ 4.6 ghz helps with the online fps, and my temps are plain rockin on the cpu. I'm super pleased with the stock fps of these cards but they run louder and hotter than my overclocked-to-the-max 660ti asus. I will be repasting these things for sure at least, and applying a minor overclock at some point (probably focusing on memory). Please excuse the lovely picture as im drunk as hell and waiting for a ride to hit up the bars

I had to ditch my soundcard for the second gpu which makes me sad. Its a little awkward for me to have two video cards so close but cant do anything about it

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A case with routing holes will blow your mind. Throwing out my Antec 300 for a (not great by modern standards) CM690 II in 2011 made me realise how poo poo old cases are. Make that next on your list for sure

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

A case with routing holes will blow your mind. Throwing out my Antec 300 for a (not great by modern standards) CM690 II in 2011 made me realise how poo poo old cases are. Make that next on your list for sure

I dunno man ...

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I will be sad when I finally give up my p182 but honestly it's a loving mess in there with two 290s and like ten hard drives, makes me resent doing any work in there. Last time I added hard drives I just put them on the floor beside my desktop and left the side of the case off :v:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Ignoarints posted:

Oh it's truly nothing special and there is no planned layout of any kind or organization. It's in a lovely old antec 300 case, cooling consists of a thermatake perfomer 2.0 I got for $55 or something and case fans in every orifice available.

Of course there is a little more than meets the eye but it's basically what you see. Delidded i5 4670k @ 4.6 ghz helps with the online fps, and my temps are plain rockin on the cpu. I'm super pleased with the stock fps of these cards but they run louder and hotter than my overclocked-to-the-max 660ti asus. I will be repasting these things for sure at least, and applying a minor overclock at some point (probably focusing on memory). Please excuse the lovely picture as im drunk as hell and waiting for a ride to hit up the bars

I had to ditch my soundcard for the second gpu which makes me sad. Its a little awkward for me to have two video cards so close but cant do anything about it

That cable management :stare:

Man, I know old cases suck for it (I have a centurion 531), but at least zip tie that poo poo or something. Cable routing is the best part of having a new case.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Speaking of cases, my current case is an Antec P180. Yes, it's 10 years old. Somehow I've managed to accomplish something resembling good cable management just because of my ability to stuff most of my unused PSU cables into the 5.25 bays and stuffing the rest of the cables on top of the PSU itself since this thing came from the era of top mounted PSU's. It is both too big and too small at the same time, when I went shopping for video cards I found out that I couldn't fit certain custom cooled R9 280X's in my case since it only really handle about 11.5 inch long cards, which some of the larger custom cooled Radeons blow past.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Nephilm posted:

That cable management :stare:

Man, I know old cases suck for it (I have a centurion 531), but at least zip tie that poo poo or something. Cable routing is the best part of having a new case.

but it doesnt do anything :(

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ignoarints posted:

but it doesnt do anything :(

But how else will you put the bling bling LEDs and the window and the go fast stripes and the R TYPE sticker on your riced out new computer so that your mom can be impressed at how shiny it is? :pcgaming:

In reality, cable management can help with airflow (no obstructing wires in the middle of open areas that air travels through), and it makes it easier to work on a machine without accidentally pulling on a connector, but people do get a little obsessed. Then again aesthetics don't mean that much to me as long as the thing works. In '96 I jammed my P100 in a hand me down AT desktop case and a few months back I reused my Antec 300 case for a Haswell build. gently caress it.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I kind of do want a new case, but only because I'd like a dual fan water cooler. Not to say I'm above looks, but computers are definitely not in that category for me. I'd even zip tie it but to me that only means I have to cut poo poo if I wanted to do anything.

I dunno, I dunno

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Cable management helps with airflow, but for me the true benefit is that it makes it painless to swap/add components (replace HDDs, RAM, videocard), and above that, much easier and faster to clean.

In a proper setup, zip ties are mostly for securing stuff that won't be moving much or at all (in my example, ATX connectors and USB3 header), or bundling cables that will always be together, like the front panel headers. For extra tidiness you can then use velcro straps or plastic ties that are easy to undo/redo.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Also, doesn't look like poo poo. Taking a bit of pride in your work is never a bad thing, but then again lots of people don't give a drat about that.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I used to be a goddamn cablegami ninja, I've cut up IDE cables to make them into cubes instead of ribbons, shortened them, moved the connectors and clipped cables to themselves so they could make nice turns with almost 0 radius etc. but it just seems like a lost cause unless you have a boring computer with like, one SSD one hard drive and one GPU in it and then never touch it.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Speaking of cases, my current case is an Antec P180. Yes, it's 10 years old. Somehow I've managed to accomplish something resembling good cable management just because of my ability to stuff most of my unused PSU cables into the 5.25 bays and stuffing the rest of the cables on top of the PSU itself since this thing came from the era of top mounted PSU's. It is both too big and too small at the same time, when I went shopping for video cards I found out that I couldn't fit certain custom cooled R9 280X's in my case since it only really handle about 11.5 inch long cards, which some of the larger custom cooled Radeons blow past.
what do you mean, that's not much different from a p182 and I have two 290s in mine. Just take out that middle drive cage? I actually also took out the plastic bits the cage slides into, to save even more space since I probably won't ever be putting that cage back in. My bottom drive cage is all full and then I have a Silverstone 4 in 3 shoehorned into 3 of the 5.25" bays.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Straker posted:

I used to be a goddamn cablegami ninja, I've cut up IDE cables to make them into cubes instead of ribbons, shortened them, moved the connectors and clipped cables to themselves so they could make nice turns with almost 0 radius etc. but it just seems like a lost cause unless you have a boring computer with like, one SSD one hard drive and one GPU in it and then never touch it.

what do you mean, that's not much different from a p182 and I have two 290s in mine. Just take out that middle drive cage? I actually also took out the plastic bits the cage slides into, to save even more space since I probably won't ever be putting that cage back in. My bottom drive cage is all full and then I have a Silverstone 4 in 3 shoehorned into 3 of the 5.25" bays.

Changing 3.5" drives in a P180/P182 is a total pain in the rear end. I had a P182.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
yeah, it's like they didn't consider the effect of yanking on 8 cables at once when they've probably been deliberately arranged so as to keep them out of the loving way, so your options are poor cable management, or having to gently caress with all the cables to be able to pull the cage out more than half an inch.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Don't post late at night. I don't have an Antec P180. I have an Antec P160.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Also, doesn't look like poo poo. Taking a bit of pride in your work is never a bad thing, but then again lots of people don't give a drat about that.

I take pride in my work :( but pride in results. If its something I see all the time or something someone else was gonna see it I might. Of course I did just post a picture of that mess on the internet lol.

Sorry for the car analogy, but I keep my car clean as possible. I have pride in that. I also have pride of the work I've done under the hood. It's pushing 23 psi now. But I have not, even once, cleaned my engine bay. To me, that's just... the functional part. All the pride I have there is for what is there and the work needed to put it there, but not how clean or tidy it looks. It makes no difference to me - unless I was going to sell it. poo poo I have things zip tied that shouldn't be, wires crimped hanging all over, pipe clamps with the excess just wobbling in the wind, multi colored silicone hoses, and so on. But if it works exactly as well as it would if done "properly" it's all good in my book. But that isn't because of lack of pride in my work, that is the source of it.

Sorry for the long winded rant but I also kind of look down on people who don't give a drat about anything they do and charge through life half assed leaving a wake of sloppy poo poo behind them, and I don't want to be included in that group because I don't care how my case looks inside. I guess it's just a different point of view. And it's not like I think tidy cases are dumb, they are rad and look sweet, I just can't find it in myself to do it because of the way I am about these things.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Judging by that reaction you should probably not post pictures of the inside of your case here.
Also keeping your engine bay clean is good maintenance.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Ignoarints posted:

I take pride in my work :( but pride in results. If its something I see all the time or something someone else was gonna see it I might. Of course I did just post a picture of that mess on the internet lol.

Sorry for the car analogy, but I keep my car clean as possible. I have pride in that. I also have pride of the work I've done under the hood. It's pushing 23 psi now. But I have not, even once, cleaned my engine bay. To me, that's just... the functional part. All the pride I have there is for what is there and the work needed to put it there, but not how clean or tidy it looks. It makes no difference to me - unless I was going to sell it. poo poo I have things zip tied that shouldn't be, wires crimped hanging all over, pipe clamps with the excess just wobbling in the wind, multi colored silicone hoses, and so on. But if it works exactly as well as it would if done "properly" it's all good in my book. But that isn't because of lack of pride in my work, that is the source of it.

Sorry for the long winded rant but I also kind of look down on people who don't give a drat about anything they do and charge through life half assed leaving a wake of sloppy poo poo behind them, and I don't want to be included in that group because I don't care how my case looks inside. I guess it's just a different point of view. And it's not like I think tidy cases are dumb, they are rad and look sweet, I just can't find it in myself to do it because of the way I am about these things.

I don't care about your car but dust kills electronics. Clean that poo poo regularly.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Jago posted:

Judging by that reaction you should probably not post pictures of the inside of your case here.
Also keeping your engine bay clean is good maintenance.

Someone asked, and I dont mind the criticism, its all valid.

Getting into a car discussion here would be silly but that's a hard one to resist right there mister. Keeping hoses fresh, keeping debris away from your belt, making sure your caps on your reservoirs are tight and clean, keeping corrosion off your terminals, keeping dirt away from the MAF and connector, cleaning out ignition coil recesses - this is good under the hood cleaning maintenance. Cleaning your valve cover until it shines, wiping your strut towers to match the paint on the hood, armor alling your engine cover, etc - no it isnt good maintenance. It's pride in keeping it looking nice. And there is nothing wrong with that, but that's not where I get mine.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Nephilm posted:

I don't care about your car but dust kills electronics. Clean that poo poo regularly.

I dust to the point of OCD... I take q tips to the PCB of the video cards to get between the solder. I wipe the back of each fan blade with rubbing alcohol. I have so much canned co2 I could probably kill myself. I go through a shitload of TIM because I need to get to the underside of heatsinks simply to clean dust out and I need to repaste. Again, nothing that has anything to do with cable management... which is how this started.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Okay then that's excessive and weird since you're disparaging the cable management that would let you perform your OCD cleaning habits faster and easier.

Unless you individually clean every cable in which case yeah you're just weird.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Nephilm posted:

Okay then that's excessive and weird since you're disparaging the cable management that would let you perform your OCD cleaning habits faster and easier.

Unless you individually clean every cable in which case yeah you're just weird.

Alright since the point is totally out the window now I can just stop lol

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't you think it would be easy to do your crazy person cleanup in a case that looked more like this mediocre wire job than the birds nest that you work in?

(oh yeah, video card thread... RADEON 6850 OC Edition! Still chugging along at medium at 1080P)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
How comes you didn't run your hdd cables round the back? I fit all the cables for both of my SSDs around there

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cable management snobbery Jesus Christ what is wrong with you people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I didn't think of running them around the back until I saw a picture where someone did so. I think I'd rather have access to my drives than not though. My SSD is actually hidden behind the motherboard with all the routed cables, so I don't have easy access to that.

Case is a Fractal Design Define R4 in case anyone is interested.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 2, 2014