Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

This seems pretty neat: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51617/

Smarter Combat Music

quote:

What it does
In the vanilla game, the combat music is often the first sign that you have been targeted by an unseen enemy. Many consider this a break in immersion, as well as conferring an unfair advantage to the player.
SCM does away with that, forcing you remain alert and be aware of your surroundings. SCM keeps track of the player's combat state, as well as that of nearby hostile actors. When enemies detect you but you have not yet seen them, the normal music will continue playing as if all is well. Only upon hitting, being hit or spotting the opponent before they reach you will the combat music play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing with the uncapper to change it to one perk per 2 levels. The ini file has explanations for every line and I'm not sure which park I'm supposed to change.

[PerksAtLevelUp]
;Set the number of perks gained at each level up. If a specific level is not specified then the closest lower level setting is used.
;Default game value is one perk per level (you can also use float as value, for example 1.25 per points per level)
; Level (2..10000) = Perks (0..255)
;
;In the following inactive commented example the player will gain 1 perk per level at and from level 2 to 9, then 2 perks per level at and from level 10 to 29,
; then 4 perks per level at and from level 30 to 94, then no perk at all per level for level 95 and above
;
;2=1
;10=2
;30=4
;95=0
2=1

Which part of this do I change to make it a consistent one perk per 2 levels?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I tried following the guide that Scyantific pointed me to, but my FPS problems are still there. I even tried uninstalling SSME, but that didn't work either, so now it seems that that wasn't the cause to begin with.

I really have no idea what's going on. I've had Skyrim since it came out, and I've been modding it extensively all along, and this problem has never happened before. The only mods I've installed since my last playthrough a few months ago, when things worked, are mods that just add some new weapons and spells - no new scripts that could be dragging the game down. The only exceptions to this are Dynamic Timescale and Less Intrusive HUD. Are they known to cause any problems?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Praetorian Mage posted:

I really have no idea what's going on. I've had Skyrim since it came out, and I've been modding it extensively all along, and this problem has never happened before. The only mods I've installed since my last playthrough a few months ago, when things worked, are mods that just add some new weapons and spells - no new scripts that could be dragging the game down. The only exceptions to this are Dynamic Timescale and Less Intrusive HUD. Are they known to cause any problems?

What are your system specs? Specifically are you using a videocard in an sli config? Enb? Have you tried the skse alpha and memory patch instead of ssme?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Burns posted:

What are your system specs? Specifically are you using a videocard in an sli config? Enb? Have you tried the skse alpha and memory patch instead of ssme?

No, I'm not using SLI. I've got a GTX 570, an i5 3570k CPU, and 8 GB RAM. I'm not using ENB graphics, just ENBoost. I haven't tried the SKSE alpha because I'm wary of using an alpha of anything, but like I said, if uninstalling SSME didn't fix anything, then SSME probably wasn't causing the problem.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mustang posted:

I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing with the uncapper to change it to one perk per 2 levels. The ini file has explanations for every line and I'm not sure which park I'm supposed to change.

[PerksAtLevelUp]
;Set the number of perks gained at each level up. If a specific level is not specified then the closest lower level setting is used.
;Default game value is one perk per level (you can also use float as value, for example 1.25 per points per level)
;
;In the following inactive commented example the player will gain 1 perk per level at and from level 2 to 9, then 2 perks per level at and from level 10 to 29,
; then 4 perks per level at and from level 30 to 94, then no perk at all per level for level 95 and above
;
;2=1
;10=2
;30=4
;95=0
2=1

I think this will do it, 2=0.5

Whats the consensus on All Geared Up?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God drat it. Skyrim was fine for me apart from the occasional crash, but I decided to give that "stability guide" a whirl to see if I can get rid of the rest of them. Now my game crashes within minutes if it loads at all. :suicide:

This is after reverting the ini tweaks as well. Time to go hunting.

E: oh and freezes now, too. Terrific.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 1, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I'm pretty sure an older version of Static Mesh Improvement Mod has catastrophically screwed with my game. Originally I've had this and other mods working completely fine together with a save that was made before I started modding. But the problems came up with a new save. At first I've had problems like this whenever I'm indoors.

The environment would flicker in and out depending on where I was standing and looking. I went to try and find the cause so I could play Skyrim again, since my survivalist Frostfall / Hunterborn / CoT mod playthroughs were amazing. When I disabled Static Mesh Improvement Mod and relaunched and reentered a dungeon this is what I was faced with.

(Bonus points if you can guess which dungeon this is, it's not the tutorial one)

So it must be the culprit. I'm apparently on version 1.57, which the latest is 1.63 or something close to that. I'm not sure the trouble is even worth it, and I might do better by just completely removing the mod and starting a new save. Is it possible to remove that mod using MO without completely breaking my Skyrim install?

Other than that, I was wondering if there are any highly recommended mods for making a career Thief, part time assassin playthrough. One who favors bows and daggers. Maybe a way to knock out opponents without killing them if done correctly? I've pretty much given up on graphical mods. I may as well just go and uninstall all of them and just slap an ENB preset on. It may be more intensive but less likely to cause bugs like the ones I have been having.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

I think this will do it, 2=0.5

Whats the consensus on All Geared Up?

Try Equipping Overhaul.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Does anyone use Here There be Monsters? I like the idea, but looking through posts it seems to be buggy, with the author electing to add more poo poo instead of fixing the issues. I'm just curious if that's the correct read.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Mustang posted:

[PerksAtLevelUp]
;
;
;2=1
;10=2
;30=4
;95=0
2=1

2=1
3=0.5

That will get you one perk at level 2 and one perk every even level thereafter, so your perks equal one half of your level. Just ignore anything with a semicolon in front of it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Ugh, Climates of Tamriel is ideal for me but the nights are too dark so I tried using an ENB mod so I could control the night darkness but I hosed up and now my skyrim folder is a mess.

I'm just busy reinstalling stuff but can anyone advise whether I need toe ven use ENB to adjust night-time darkness with CoT?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

WastedJoker posted:

Ugh, Climates of Tamriel is ideal for me but the nights are too dark so I tried using an ENB mod so I could control the night darkness but I hosed up and now my skyrim folder is a mess.

I'm just busy reinstalling stuff but can anyone advise whether I need toe ven use ENB to adjust night-time darkness with CoT?

If you use the level 1 brightness in CoT you get vanilla night brightness.

On that note, is there a way to get actually dark nights without destroying all effect that light sources have like CoT does?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

If you use the level 1 brightness in CoT you get vanilla night brightness.

On that note, is there a way to get actually dark nights without destroying all effect that light sources have like CoT does?

Ahhh thank you! That'll be just the thing. Cheers.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I think you can just not use any CoT night esps for Vanilla effects.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If you use MO you should be able to just right click reinstall and select the least dark night option.

Also, thanks guys on the help with the uncapper, finally got it to work.

I'm surprised Wet and Cold isn't in the OP, it goes well with Frostfall and Realistic Needs.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27563/

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
With SPERG, how do the armour-ignore effects of Bone Breaker and Skullcrusher stack? Will I completely ignore all armour if I take both, or is it subject to some kind of cap or diminishing return?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Two questions:
1. How does Lootification handle mods in lootification.xml that aren't installed? That is, is there any reason not just to have one big lootification.xml for everything? Or does it result in strangeness, such as NPCs swinging their hands thinking they have a sword?
2. When organizing mod installation in MO in the left-hand pane, the guidance has been to "match whatever order BOSS puts things into". Is this true for STEP as well? I.e. should I install STEP mods in the order presented on the STEP website, or in the order BOSS specifies?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Flagrant Abuse posted:

With SPERG, how do the armour-ignore effects of Bone Breaker and Skullcrusher stack? Will I completely ignore all armour if I take both, or is it subject to some kind of cap or diminishing return?
Each one multiplies your target's damage resistance by 50%. So if you have both, they should be at an effective 25% of base armor.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Has anyone seen a mod that makes the precious gems (emeralds, gems, rubies etc) look better?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
When I try to install A Quality World Map using MO, I get a message that "NMM CLI has stopped working" then "installation failed (errorcode 3762507597)." It does this whether I try to install from the downloads column or from the install from archive button in the upper left. SkyUI had the same problem, but for that I just directly placed the files since there were only a few, whereas AQWM has a bunch and I'm leery of putting them in the wrong place or having a nightmarish time trying to get rid of them later. Any suggestions?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Burns posted:

Has anyone seen a mod that makes the precious gems (emeralds, gems, rubies etc) look better?

this, they won't look good in the menu but in the game world they look pretty nice.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cool thanks

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

When I try to install A Quality World Map using MO, I get a message that "NMM CLI has stopped working" then "installation failed (errorcode 3762507597)." It does this whether I try to install from the downloads column or from the install from archive button in the upper left. SkyUI had the same problem, but for that I just directly placed the files since there were only a few, whereas AQWM has a bunch and I'm leery of putting them in the wrong place or having a nightmarish time trying to get rid of them later. Any suggestions?

He just updated MO and there's some bug with the NCC file. Go check the files page and download the NCC downgrade and put it in the corresponding place in your MO directory.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Two questions:
1. How does Lootification handle mods in lootification.xml that aren't installed? That is, is there any reason not just to have one big lootification.xml for everything? Or does it result in strangeness, such as NPCs swinging their hands thinking they have a sword?
2. When organizing mod installation in MO in the left-hand pane, the guidance has been to "match whatever order BOSS puts things into". Is this true for STEP as well? I.e. should I install STEP mods in the order presented on the STEP website, or in the order BOSS specifies?

As for No. 1 there: Anything in lootification.xml/custom.xml without a correspoding .esp or .esm file is ignored. Conversely, any mod file without entries in one of the xml files is also ignored.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
What does it mean when the Mod Organizer flags mods as "missing masters"? I thought I had the small-scale test group of mods in the correct order but the little flag pops up saying to move things in nonsensical ways, and they are all flagged as missing masters Skyrim and Update.esm.

The internet isn't being helpful with this, so I'm guessing I'm just dumb and missed something obvious?

Synnr fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 2, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Synnr posted:

What does it mean when the Mod Organizer flags mods as "missing masters"? I thought I had the small-scale test group of mods in the correct order but the little flag pops up saying to move things in nonsensical ways, and they are all flagged as missing masters Skyrim and Update.esm.

The internet isn't being helpful with this, so I'm guessing I'm just dumb and missed something obvious?

Make sure those two are checked in the right-hand panel and run BOSS.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a mod out there that adds a tackle-like effect to Whirlwind Sprint? After playing Bioshock Infinite and starting a replay of Mass effect I want more supertackling in my games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Is there a mod out there that adds a tackle-like effect to Whirlwind Sprint? After playing Bioshock Infinite and starting a replay of Mass effect I want more supertackling in my games.

Forgotten magic has a spell along those lines I believe. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35339/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey Perseid's Room Rental got updated to fix the navmesh etc. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25029

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So, there's kind of an unfortunate thing for those who use both SPERG and Immersive Armors. IA hands out new perks to better temper their new armors if you have the appropriate vanilla perk to temper that kind of armor. Unfortunately, SPERG uses a much broader tempering system that applies to all weapons/light armor/heavy armor, the new ones included. So you end up being able to temper the immersive armors much better than the vanilla ones.

It's odd, because they seem to have put in a global value that should prevent those from being handed out, (SPO_DisablePerk), but the mod menu doesn't have any option for it. Fortunately, you can turn it on with the console, which appears to fix the problem.

Also, unrelated, and I don't know if this is an oversight or not, but Morrowloot 4E does not appear to have any obtainable daedric greatswords. The only one placed in the world is on a display rack in the Jarl of Riften's bedroom, and can't be picked up.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 3, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

What are some suggestions for good mods to overhaul being a werewolf into something more than "turn into the Incredible Hulk once a day"? I've been poking around a little but haven't seen any that really grabbed me yet.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

So, there's kind of an unfortunate thing for those who use both SPERG and Immersive Armors. IA hands out new perks to better temper their new armors if you have the appropriate vanilla perk to temper that kind of armor. Unfortunately, SPERG uses a much broader tempering system that applies to all weapons/light armor/heavy armor, the new ones included. So you end up being able to temper the immersive armors much better than the vanilla ones.

It's odd, because they seem to have put in a global value that should prevent those from being handed out, (SPO_DisablePerk), but the mod menu doesn't have any option for it. Fortunately, you can turn it on with the console, which appears to fix the problem.

There is a patch for that here, http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34925/ . Can't tell you if it works right off hand as I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

YellerBill posted:

What are some suggestions for good mods to overhaul being a werewolf into something more than "turn into the Incredible Hulk once a day"? I've been poking around a little but haven't seen any that really grabbed me yet.

Moonlight Tales for overhaul of the transformation/infection system (also werebears if you so care).
Bloodmoon Rising for overhaul of the Dawnguard added perk tree

Optionally Werewolf Mastery for further power tweaks, on the fly howl switching (IIRC), and on-command reversion. (Make sure to read the Moonlight Tales page for instructions on how to make WM and MT play nice)

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Forgotten magic has a spell along those lines I believe. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35339/

Yeah, there's a spell called Phoenix Strike that's basically Biotic Charge in Skyrim. Forgotten Magic also uses an interesting system where the spells themselves level up with use, and you can upgrade them to do different stuff.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

basically Biotic Charge in Skyrim.

Yes. Downloaded, thank you.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alright...

As mentioned before I have all my mods loaded accorded to BOSS order, cleaned, free of duplicate files, proccer patches, Bashed patch, Merged patch, and so on. That said, every once in a while the game drops textures when I enter a building or leave it and go back outside, so a few things - say, a weapons on a couple of guards or the clothing on an NPC or two - will be all pink.

Any specific reason for that? I should add that if I save, exit to the Main Menu, and reload, everything shows up fine.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 3, 2014

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Make sure those two are checked in the right-hand panel and run BOSS.

Turns out the mod organizer was just looking at the wrong folder, for some reason! All sorted out on that front.

As a different issue, does anyone use Frostfall, Hunterborn and RND? I think their interaction is the issue where I can't seem to make leather anymore. It is strange.

Also, I only played the xbox version before (I got the pc one now, because I was tired of my game breaking and having no way of fixing it), does the Pc version occasionally just untag stuff as owned? I've had a few instances where everything is suddenly okay to take (whiterun jarls place, the inn), and wasn't sure what was up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Synnr posted:

Turns out the mod organizer was just looking at the wrong folder, for some reason! All sorted out on that front.

As a different issue, does anyone use Frostfall, Hunterborn and RND? I think their interaction is the issue where I can't seem to make leather anymore. It is strange.

Also, I only played the xbox version before (I got the pc one now, because I was tired of my game breaking and having no way of fixing it), does the Pc version occasionally just untag stuff as owned? I've had a few instances where everything is suddenly okay to take (whiterun jarls place, the inn), and wasn't sure what was up.

Once you're buddies with somebody through quests, you can take their stuff. The Jarls friendship is probably from the main quest, and the Inn, maybe In My Time of Need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Once you're buddies with somebody through quests, you can take their stuff. The Jarls friendship is probably from the main quest, and the Inn, maybe In My Time of Need?
Specifically, when someone's disposition toward you is high enough you pretty much have free reign to take anything below 50 gold in value. I figured this out when doing a radiant quest involving Farengar and Arcadia and I was using Alchemy to make quick money early in the game. After completing it I could take about 3/4 of the poo poo in her Alchemy shop.

• Locked thread