Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Shwqa posted:

Honestly I wouldn't. The iOS review slam the end game pretty bad. If you don't have the best cards you lose. And each battle takes most of your energy bar.

I really wanted to buy the game, but I can't handle a premium game with harsh timers :sigh:

Maybe late game, but I've put several hours into it so far this evening and I haven't run into any trouble. I have way more life than I really need, and I haven't hit a fight that I haven't been able to beat. I actually find the timer fairly forgiving. I've already got a stockpile of about 7 "lives", and you get new ones ever 10 minutes or so? Not really sure of the system because I haven't had to use it yet. Granted I'm only about 9 battles into it, but I've replayed a few of those twice to get extra cards and achievements and stuff. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but I'm also a big fan of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

andrew smash posted:

Not sure, there are a few iOS boardgame ports i would love to see - eclipse, caylus, suburbia, etc. Kingdom builder and carcassonne both have pretty good ports, and there are freeware versions of dominion and san juan (androminion and condado respectively) that are pretty good too. Apparently elder sign is a good recreation of the boardgame, but i think it's a poo poo game to begin with so i can't give you much there.

Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are available. Neuroshima Hex also and frankly is way better on mobile device than actually playing the board game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

vulturesrow posted:

Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are available. Neuroshima Hex also and frankly is way better on mobile device than actually playing the board game.

Oh yeah, forgot about ticket to ride. I picked that up in the humble bundle a while back, i think. I've sort of outgrown catan but it's nice to know it's there. I don't know anything about neuroshima hex.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

New Leaf posted:

I love this loving game so far. It is insanely addictive. I'm through to the third opponent and have gathered enough resources to craft my own deck, which is nice. There is a gem system that lets you open a chest for a random "rare+" card, and my second pull was a 17 attack monster. The highest you start with is 3. Jesus.

Third pull :getin:

And yes this game actually is awesome despite the iaps and energy system. It feels pretty balanced so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if poo poo gets downright dickishly unfair toward the end. Regardless it's a solid, fun game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stan Taylor posted:

I could never get androminion to work properly on my nexus 5 so I had to uninstall. It would display everything all wrong so the I couldn't press buttons or do anything. That would be a great time waster when I'm poopin.

I'm on a Nexus 5 and it works perfectly for me :shrug:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Maybe a dumb question but do you get gems while playing Card Wars? Because I've already played a few levels (up to Marceline) and haven't seen any drop yet.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Getting three stars on a quest gives you 1 gem from what I've experienced.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Anyone have any tips for Out There? Every game ends the same way: running out of fuel.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

People are going to start bitching about making a new thread soon, but until then.. Are you guys playing with or without the spinner? Because I'm loving terrible with it.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Deep Winter posted:

Anyone have any tips for Out There? Every game ends the same way: running out of fuel.

To have a shot at winning you basically have to find technology to boost your fuel efficiency or a ship with power-boosting modules already on it. Even if you harvest every gas giant you encounter, you'll inevitably wind up against the wall eventually, as you'll find the occasional lovely gas giant that offers no return.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Valatar posted:

To have a shot at winning you basically have to find technology to boost your fuel efficiency or a ship with power-boosting modules already on it. Even if you harvest every gas giant you encounter, you'll inevitably wind up against the wall eventually, as you'll find the occasional lovely gas giant that offers no return.

Yeah, you really need to find one of the larger ships as well. If you can find a large ship and the tech that allows you to harvest stars (and the shielding tech that allows that to not be suicidal) then it's not too bad. But that rarely happens.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

HoratioRash posted:

Oh bloody hell, dont. I bought in on the whim from all the "oh my god this rocks". Took me maybe an hour of playing, but I finally got to one, the green one. There's this huge loving space dinosaur size of a small moon and he tells you that, hey, actually, we blew your planet hundred billions years ago because cosmic balance and preservation of energy and poo poo. And then the game ends with the hero monologue about how his real quest started. Not even a bloody free play or anything. Just poof, end Incredibly disappointing and I dont think I got the strength in me to replay it after this bull.

I'm guessing that this spoiler is in regards to a gameplay element brought about by one of the main splotlines? Or is it that the plot itself took a stupid turn? I'm trying to decide on whether to pick the game up.

About how long does a playthrough take? Are there any mechanisms that improve your character/ship/whatever across playthroughs?

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm guessing that this spoiler is in regards to a gameplay element brought about by one of the main splotlines? Or is it that the plot itself took a stupid turn? I'm trying to decide on whether to pick the game up.

About how long does a playthrough take? Are there any mechanisms that improve your character/ship/whatever across playthroughs?

He gave you one of the endings. It's just a dialogue, there are at least 3.

A playthrough can be over in 5-20 minutes, the one time I did get to the (green) ending I think it was about an hour. I have gone through about a dozen playthroughs with one success, mainly because I found a big round plant ship with some advanced technologies already installed very early on.

It's definitely worth $4 to me, the ending I got is pretty much what I expected. The main frustrations I've had is going down a long line of stars that are jumpable without expanded jump radius only to hit a dead end without ever finding a technology and also that the hardest part besides simply keeping fuel is that the game is very RNG about new technologies and I've had basic techs you start with stripped away so if an event destroys that component it's game over.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Demerzel posted:

He gave you one of the endings. It's just a dialogue, there are at least 3.

A playthrough can be over in 5-20 minutes, the one time I did get to the (green) ending I think it was about an hour. I have gone through about a dozen playthroughs with one success, mainly because I found a big round plant ship with some advanced technologies already installed very early on.

It's definitely worth $4 to me, the ending I got is pretty much what I expected. The main frustrations I've had is going down a long line of stars that are jumpable without expanded jump radius only to hit a dead end without ever finding a technology and also that the hardest part besides simply keeping fuel is that the game is very RNG about new technologies and I've had basic techs you start with stripped away so if an event destroys that component it's game over.

I managed to avert my eyes while typing my response, so I'm still unsullied. So the problem was that the ending was unsatisfactory? Either way it looks like I'm gonna be picking this up. I'm too much of a space nerd to pass it up, even though it seems like the sort of game that'll eventually wind up in a Humble Bundle. Maybe some future updates will reduce the RNG fuckery.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Zenzirouj posted:

I managed to avert my eyes while typing my response, so I'm still unsullied. So the problem was that the ending was unsatisfactory? Either way it looks like I'm gonna be picking this up. I'm too much of a space nerd to pass it up, even though it seems like the sort of game that'll eventually wind up in a Humble Bundle. Maybe some future updates will reduce the RNG fuckery.

I bought it and don't regret it. It is easy to pick up for a couple minutes when you have the time and make some progress in a playthrough and put it back down.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

New Leaf posted:

People are going to start bitching about making a new thread soon, but until then.. Are you guys playing with or without the spinner? Because I'm loving terrible with it.

I'm playing without. I'm not sure yet if crits can still happened. The wheel feels like it takes away from card game stuff. Did they have a battle wheel in the show?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Aafter posted:

I'm playing without. I'm not sure yet if crits can still happened. The wheel feels like it takes away from card game stuff. Did they have a battle wheel in the show?

I honestly don't remember, but yeah, I agree. I wonder if there is a spinner in the boxed copy of the game that is on it's way. (http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/adventure-time-card-wars-collectors-pack) I'm no good with those "stop the arrow" timing games, and the size of the wedges seems to fluctuate from fight to fight.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

New Leaf posted:

I honestly don't remember, but yeah, I agree. I wonder if there is a spinner in the boxed copy of the game that is on it's way. (http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/adventure-time-card-wars-collectors-pack) I'm no good with those "stop the arrow" timing games, and the size of the wedges seems to fluctuate from fight to fight.

As far as I know they are totally separate games made by completely different people.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Stan Taylor posted:

As far as I know they are totally separate games made by completely different people.

Well, they're pretty loving similar, haha. I thought I read that you'd get a free copy of the mobile game if you bought the real card game, but I can't find where I read that..

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

New Leaf posted:

I thought I read that you'd get a free copy of the mobile game if you bought the real card game, but I can't find where I read that..

Close but not quite: http://www.cryptozoic.com/articles/adventure-time-card-wars-collectors-packs-available-month

quote:

As an added bonus, the Adventure Time: Card Wars customizable card game will include download codes for use within the digital version of the game, providing an enhanced opportunity for fans.

I assume the codes are for new cards.

Also to answer your other question the physical game doesn't look like to have the spinner:

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 1, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mrkillboy posted:

Close but not quite: http://www.cryptozoic.com/articles/adventure-time-card-wars-collectors-packs-available-month

I assume the codes are for new cards.

Also to answer your other question the physical game doesn't look like to have the spinner:

It's a real game too!? loving awesome!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The joke's on you if you lie to a Google survey. They already know the answers, they just haven't figured out if they can trust you or not.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
I asked this a couple pages ago, but you guys were wrapped (rapt?) up in a philosophical discussion about the ethical implcations of filling out surveys.

So I'll ask again, anyone know of two player puzzle games similar to Candy Crush/Bejeweled/Zoo Keeper? I know King is literally the devil, I'm just using it for a gameplay comparison. Turn based or live, it doesn't really matter.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The joke's on you if you lie to a Google survey. They already know the answers, they just haven't figured out if they can trust you or not.

I must have screwed up the "I am not a robot" survey because I haven't received a single one yet. Whoops!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ragequit posted:

I must have screwed up the "I am not a robot" survey because I haven't received a single one yet. Whoops!

I just got
"Are you a venture capitalist?"
"No"
"Here's a dollar!"

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just got
"Are you a venture capitalist?"
"No"
"Here's a dollar!"

You guys are making me really sad that it's incompatible with my Moto G :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I have seriously wondered if some of the surveys they have given me where to try to root me out as a liar or a bot.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
As a wireless sales rep, I'm excited at the idea of explaining to my elderly customers the difference between the S5 and the 5S. Awesome work, guys.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have seriously wondered if some of the surveys they have given me where to try to root me out as a liar or a bot.

I got one survey right after i installed it asking me if i was a mental health worker for female prisoners. I said no, got a dollar, and haven't seen another one since.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Deep Winter posted:

As a wireless sales rep, I'm excited at the idea of explaining to my elderly customers the difference between the S5 and the 5S. Awesome work, guys.

Just flip them over and show them the backs, job done

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

baka kaba posted:

Just flip them over and show them the backs, job done

I hope you mean the phones.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I hope you mean the phones.

I was intentionally ambiguous, the S5's back can have all kinds of effects on people. Be careful!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deep Winter posted:

When you're done you can explain why they should upgrade from the HTC One and the HTC One.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Is there any way to sync your progress in Adventure Time Card Wars between devices? I figured it would so I've been playing this whole time on my phone instead of my tablet.. kind of regretting that now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How is Out There on a smaller screen like the Moto X? It's the device that will be on me most of the time, if it's too small it'll have to be the ipad.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TraderStav posted:

How is Out There on a smaller screen like the Moto X? It's the device that will be on me most of the time, if it's too small it'll have to be the ipad.

I play it on a gs3 and it's fine, the art looks good and there are no readability problems.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I play it on N5 and it's perfectly fine. There is no twitch-based gameplay at all and the smallest thing you have to tap is a start on a sparsely populated starmap so it's really not a problem.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Welp, I went through an event in Out There where I could choose to take a teleport to a random spot. It put me closer to the goals, but there are only two stars here that can reach each other so I'm completely stranded. I'm about to go suicide into a neutron star to see what'll happen :negative:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

andrew smash posted:

I play it on a gs3 and it's fine, the art looks good and there are no readability problems.

Tunga posted:

I play it on N5 and it's perfectly fine. There is no twitch-based gameplay at all and the smallest thing you have to tap is a start on a sparsely populated starmap so it's really not a problem.

Great, thanks! Purchased!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Hnnnnnnng Out There is so frustrating sometimes

• Locked thread