Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
That's bad rear end. Series I run(OHSCS) got 2nd place last year. I haven't ever even heard of that race. Posted in local facebook forum for others to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Decided to join the ranks of crazy people who ride offroad and picked myself up a '01 DR200SE for some light trailriding and some 'adventure touring'/camping. My backyard is partially flooded, muddy, and covered with a 6" thick layer of slushy snow; not exactly the best conditions to ride offroad for the first time but I had an absolute blast. The bike came with a supertrapp exhaust on it and is definitely running lean so I won't be riding it much until I finish re-jetting it, a set of barkbusters are also on the way.

(Yes, that's snow packed into the rear wheel, the rest of the bike got covered in mud shortly thereafter)

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Nice rig! Get yourself a skid plate too!

Tires are everything (everything). Keep that in mind when switching gears between offroad and moto camping! Real dirt tires on that beast and it'll climb anything! Road tires on it and it'll get stuck in a puddle!

I offroaded an XT225 for a year or so, it was a monster!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Can ice bieks bro it up in here too?

I haven't been in CA in a while, but I got bored today and screwed around on the lake, which someone conveniently plowed out a 1/3 mile oval. Kinda rutty and junky today though.

There's music for the first minute or so, skip past that if it ain't your thing. I've never edited a video before and wanted to play around with it :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feSHD8l7IWU

PS, if anyone in SE Wisconsin needs a dirtbike buddy, I haven't ridden dirt for a few years and would like to get back into it. Bike will probably be getting set of dirt tires once it warms up.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
I am a wisco home boy. run enduros and harescrambles. Mostly go to Dyracuse park for practice/messing around, so if you ever come up to central wisconsin it is a good place to ride. Super sandy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T-Square posted:

Can ice bieks bro it up in here too?

I haven't been in CA in a while, but I got bored today and screwed around on the lake, which someone conveniently plowed out a 1/3 mile oval. Kinda rutty and junky today though.

There's music for the first minute or so, skip past that if it ain't your thing. I've never edited a video before and wanted to play around with it :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feSHD8l7IWU

PS, if anyone in SE Wisconsin needs a dirtbike buddy, I haven't ridden dirt for a few years and would like to get back into it. Bike will probably be getting set of dirt tires once it warms up.

Yo I'm in SE wisco too and there is nowhere to ride dirt around here :(

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Riding the area where the next hare scramble is, just kind of a look around. Crashing, cussing, water crossing, and whatnot. Good times. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBkEiizYH3U

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yo I'm in SE wisco too and there is nowhere to ride dirt around here :(
I figured as much. The only place I can think of is Bong State Park (hurr), but I haven't been there in probably close to ten years, who knows if they still have trails.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
At least you're closer to the Bong Recreation Area than I am Jim. There's even less gently caress all dirt to ride by Madison and the MPD don't take too kindly to wheelies on the street.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

At least you're closer to the Bong Recreation Area than I am Jim. There's even less gently caress all dirt to ride by Madison and the MPD don't take too kindly to wheelies on the street.

Really? I would have thought that since immediately west of Madison is no mans land, that there would be a decent amount of dirt riding to be found out there.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Went riding in the pissing rain last weekend and had a blast. Uploaded the whole hour and a half to Youtube because why not...

Linked about 40 minutes in after the group gets a bit warmed up and the pace starts to pick up. First time really stretching the dirt bike muscles and the XC-W in about 6-7 months. Felt good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFhyPQbBJS8&t=2610s

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Down in Florida to watch Daytona Supercross and RD1 of the GNCC. Hope to image dump this weekend.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Id like to get a dirtbike this spring as I sold my old KLR250 last year, and borrowing is too budget.
I have a 29 inch inseam, so midget legs. Ive ridden a friends crf250, and it was too big, his xr200's is what ive been borrowing, and they are just right for height.

Ive been looking for a kdx200/220, but there is only one locally for sale and I haven't been inspired to go look at it. What else should I be looking for? Id like a 2 stroke just because I haven't owned one yet. I think the ktms are all going to be way too big. The KLR was too heavy and slow. The xr200's aren't bad, but also slow. This would be for trail riding.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Just lower a fullsize bike. Been thru this with my 5'3" girlfriend recently. The kdx has a wide square seat that overcomes its small stature. I recommend a ktm 200 xc or xcw. Smaller chassis than 250f/250t/450 ktms and you can lower it an inch.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Whenever you ride, always bring a towel, a change of socks, and a photographer.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Very nice picture.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blindjoe posted:

Id like to get a dirtbike this spring as I sold my old KLR250 last year, and borrowing is too budget.
I have a 29 inch inseam, so midget legs. Ive ridden a friends crf250, and it was too big, his xr200's is what ive been borrowing, and they are just right for height.

Ive been looking for a kdx200/220, but there is only one locally for sale and I haven't been inspired to go look at it. What else should I be looking for? Id like a 2 stroke just because I haven't owned one yet. I think the ktms are all going to be way too big. The KLR was too heavy and slow. The xr200's aren't bad, but also slow. This would be for trail riding.

As a short guy (5'6" ~28" inseam) I rode a KDX200 for a while and you eventually get used to the height but it can be an issue. As VTNewb mentioned the KDX has a wide/squared off seat and isn't super slim so that makes it worse. If you don't mind planning where you stop so you can kickstart easier it isn't a huge deal but it can be. Best thing is go sit on a bunch of bikes if possible and the smaller 125-200 bikes are a lot of fun.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm at my first MX practice of the year. I thought I kept fit enough over the winter, but my arms turn to mush after like four laps.

I did make some progress going faster in corner ruts, I realized I was looking a few feet in front of my tire instead of looking through to the exit.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 13, 2014

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

Whenever you ride, always bring a towel, a change of socks, and a photographer.

More pics:

I realize half my posts are photos from this hill, but this day turned out well. New bikes, new camera, same buds.

I picked up an 09 250SX-F, I plan on taking a shot at motocross this year. The improvements are night and day compared to the 01 yz250f I was riding. But like Zool, I have a lot of room for improvement with regard to fitness.

Bonus gif:

A friend joined us for his first time riding dirt. He made it up to the top eventually. I give him a lot of credit for even attempting the hill; most first timers don't even think about it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
That looks like so much fun. I am seriously jealous, waiting for a break in the Ohio weather.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

As a short guy (5'6" ~28" inseam) I rode a KDX200 for a while and you eventually get used to the height but it can be an issue. As VTNewb mentioned the KDX has a wide/squared off seat and isn't super slim so that makes it worse. If you don't mind planning where you stop so you can kickstart easier it isn't a huge deal but it can be. Best thing is go sit on a bunch of bikes if possible and the smaller 125-200 bikes are a lot of fun.

My problem is that Im fat, so the xr200 and klr250 felt pretty under powered.
I just need to go find a dealer with a used inventory and go hop around on them. I didn't worry to much about the kickstart on the crf250, it was once I was on it, I couldn't easily get the kickstand put away.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Trail Rider gave Anna a fancy camera to get pics accompanying her articles. That means, of course, I need to take pictures of her. First round I hosed up the shutter speed or ISO or whatever:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put'er in green box mode and go nuts

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Some shots of Gullous and me at an MX race Saturday. We finished in the last two spots in 250D. It was my first time out on a real motocross track, rather than a tight SX style course. (I'm in the plaid PJs)

The crowd goes wild.

Using all the suspension.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 16, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Alright, time to start browsing CL for a 250 2t for my first dirtbike. You've put the want in my head.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I recommend it! Also, I crashed in the whoops and my right knee is so swollen I only have about 1/2 the normal range of motion.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright, time to start browsing CL for a 250 2t for my first dirtbike. You've put the want in my head.

slippery slope, that CL $1000 kx250 ended up getting completely rebuilt and now it was joined by 2011 KTM 300 XC

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Starting out on a 250 2t is kinda like starting out on a 600SS just fyi.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

Starting out on a 250 2t is kinda like starting out on a 600SS just fyi.

I did that :v: 01 F4i. What is the recommended course for a $1k entry bike? 125 2t?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Old yz250f or some poo poo. Go 4t, the yz125 2t I rode was fun but my wr250 blew it out of the water. I dont ride dirt though cause I have no friends that ride dirt nearby and because with 3 tracks 2 hours or so away it seems silly to drive out of the bay just to ride dirtbikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

What kind of riding will you be doing? A 250 stroker is fun for sure, but isnt the right biek for everything

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm completely hooked, it's a huge rush. Zool and I are both starting out on 250 4Ts and they're plenty fast for our skill.

Here's footage from my perspective, Zool is to my right in the gate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3smx9Rhn40

By the end of the first lap I had significant arm pump, so I dialed it back. The shifter spun on the splines in the last lap, leaving me in 2nd gear. There are no free lunches with used dirt bikes.

My bike is under sprung for my weight. I dialed up the compression damping, which stopped the bottoming but made everything else worse. New springs are in the mail.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Looks like tons of fun guys. We're still under four feet of snow, I'm dying. Of course my left leg is still very runty, which makes jumps treacherous.

Season opener is on April 6th south of Boston. Always to have a race be the first time on a bike in months.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What kind of riding will you be doing? A 250 stroker is fun for sure, but isnt the right biek for everything

Desert, we have no trees or tight stuff around here.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wow that is a wild video. It's a little hard to tell but it looks like you're landing on your front tire a lot. I only watch a few minutes of the video but in my totally unprofessional opinion you should be controlling your landings a bit better before you're dialing up the speed.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I agree, I dialed it back after the first lap. I need more practice and endurance. Properly sized suspension would help too, I was rebounding pretty hard on some of the landings. I'm 215lbs and the previous owner weighed 180, sprung for trail riding.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Now I'll be riding two forty minute motors of woods and Moto at Wareham mx in Mass Sunday. Never moto'd before, but this race series is all off road, so all the other guys'll be in the same boat.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Now I'll be riding two forty minute motors of woods and Moto at Wareham mx in Mass Sunday. Never moto'd before, but this race series is all off road, so all the other guys'll be in the same boat.

If it's like the woods/moto race I did a couple years ago, it's enough woods that your moto skills hardly matter. But some first time advice, don't jump anything you can't see the landing for until you know the track.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

VTNewb posted:

Can you provide any details on this? I know where the track is in Wareham (assuming it's Atwoods) but is this something we can spectate? We may be interested in coming over and taking a look.

EDIT: never mind, I found it on the PSTR website - looks good. We may show up...

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Zool posted:

If it's like the woods/moto race I did a couple years ago, it's enough woods that your moto skills hardly matter. But some first time advice, don't jump anything you can't see the landing for until you know the track.

Excellent advice, hah. All the J-Day events I've done only had tables, which is nearly 0 risk. Looks like this place has some doubles, but not many. My leg is still borked so I'll be rolling nearly everything. We'll see how much of my competitive spirit makes me do dumb things.

Cheesebot - We'll be showing up in a Honda Element with a trailer, so feel free to come by and say Hi. Our bike numbers of 2610 and 7007 (NETRA #'s) respectively.