Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Bajaha posted:

It seems like it's always a brand new civic.

Please, please civic owners explain this. I'm reasonably sure that between 75-85% of cars I see around town with their highbeams on are civics of the last three generations, it's unbelievably consistent. Is the stalk in an easy to hit location? Is the indicator light on the dash hard to see? Does all the blue digital stuff on the dash drown it out? Why??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Niven posted:

Please, please civic owners explain this. I'm reasonably sure that between 75-85% of cars I see around town with their highbeams on are civics of the last three generations, it's unbelievably consistent. Is the stalk in an easy to hit location? Is the indicator light on the dash hard to see? Does all the blue digital stuff on the dash drown it out? Why??

Most people don't realize there are other human beings in the vehicles around them, nor do they understand the implications of shining bright lights into others' eyes.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Most people don't realize there are other human beings in the vehicles around them, nor do they understand the implications of shining bright lights into others' eyes.

It has to be more than that though, because civic drivers seem to be vastly disproportionately represented, if it was simple ignorance/laziness I'd expect to see a lot more of it in corollas for example. My working theory is the two tier dash with the bright digital display up higher draws the eye up and they never look down since obviously there's nothing important down there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like confirmation bias to me, I see heaps of cars running high beams of all makes and models.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is it actually high beams or improperly installed HIDZZZZ?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Sounds like confirmation bias to me, I see heaps of cars running high beams of all makes and models.

Are the clueless idiots running daytime high-beams a fairly recent development for the rest of you? It is for me, I've driven/ridden in low-sitting cars for my whole life and only started noticing this bullshit in the last year or two.

I had an Accord high-beam me 4-5 times yesterday before (I guess) he found the right button and turned his fog-lights on. :downs:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Viper915 posted:

The theory I developed while I was living in San Diego was that unlike back here in New England where people are at least marginally aware of the tread on their tire due to seeing it once a year or so while putting snow tires on our just getting stuck in the snow, southern Californians just drive on their tires until they pop. Never had I seen so many tires so completely bald, which of course means the second there's a mild rain shower everyone slides off of the road like it's coated with Crisco.

Don't forget the 10 year old wiper blades that have wiping part attached by a thread. Don't forget it because I did (my truck sits unused almost all the time until it rains. I then re-remember I have wasted wiper blades and bald tires. Once it dries out I park it and continue my blissful ignorance).

I was pretty amazed that I haven't seen any accidents due to the rain. I commute 60 miles a day so I was expecting to be stuck in traffic for days and have cars all over in ditches and what not. I did see a few motorcyclists lane splitting way, way too fast in the wet yesterday but they didn't crash either so I guess there's some kind of weirdness going on here.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Most of the drivers of high-beams-on-inappropriately that I've seen have been geriatrics, unaware of the blinding they're doling out ahead of them.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Don't forget trucks with their asses bogged down by cargo. I got flashed so many times because my lows were shining into cabins due to the weight of the trailer.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Niven posted:

My guess is that the stalk doesn't move that far back so you can still reach it with your fingers while resting your palm on the steering wheel, so people don't notice when they flick it back.

Also nth-ing that too many drivers are oblivious when driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Are the clueless idiots running daytime high-beams a fairly recent development for the rest of you? It is for me, I've driven/ridden in low-sitting cars for my whole life and only started noticing this bullshit in the last year or two.

I'm not 100% sure. I have trouble deciding if headlights on modern cars are just super bright, or a lot more people drive around with high beams on. I'd say in the last 3 years or so it's gotten a lot worse.

Maybe I'm getting old. :corsair:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Also, gently caress the xenons in BMW X5s. I have yet to see one that was adjusted in a non-blinding fashion.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of bright lights, I hate driving behind this kind of Prius at night:

Those brake lights are so god damned bright that all I see is a wall of red light in front of me if the driver hits the brakes.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What's the feeling about people who have their fog lights on all the time?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

krnhotwings posted:

Those brake lights are so god damned bright that all I see is a wall of red light in front of me if the driver hits the brakes.

I drove beside a last gen fusion hybird at night once, and was blinded by the gauges/gauge screen in the car from outside his car. I can't imagine how he could see anything outside of his car.

There has to be a dimmer that he wasn't using, because god drat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SyHopeful posted:

Also, gently caress the xenons in BMW X5s. I have yet to see one that was adjusted in a non-blinding fashion.

German cars (BMWs and Audis in particular) just seem to be aimed too high right from the factory. Around here it seems they only get corrected once the car is out of warranty (i.e. no longer has its safety inspections done at the dealership)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

Fronts? So long as they're not aimed too high I don't see it as a big deal. Rears on the other hand annoy me far more - they're unbelievably distracting and worse on some cars it makes it all but impossible to see the brake lamps.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

Depends on the car. Trucks with higher mounted fogs piss the hell out of me. Most arent bright enough to be annoying IMO.

I prefer to drive with my fogs on at night because I feel it gives me better visibility for potholes and hidden dips. San Diego streets are embarrassingly bad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Chinatown posted:

Depends on the car. Trucks with higher mounted fogs piss the hell out of me. Most arent bright enough to be annoying IMO.

The factory fogs on mid-00s Chevy pickups send me into a blind rage. There's no reason for them to be that goddamned bright, or aimed so high. :argh:

I uh, use mine in the rain, but they're aimed low and have yellow bulbs in them. I don't really use them outside of rain/fog though, and the car has some slight idiot proofing - you have to turn them on every time you turn on the headlights if you want to use them (instead of flipping the switch and forgetting about it).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

The factory fogs on mid-00s Chevy pickups send me into a blind rage. There's no reason for them to be that goddamned bright, or aimed so high. :argh:

I just went to the store and there was a guy with exactly this truck (lifted too of course) and it was the Sun.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Just the other week I saw something new in obnoxious lights - a pickup truck with some sort of LED light bar across the front edge of the hood. It was blindingly bright from the other side of a divided highway, I really hope this doesn't become the new HIDZZZZ fad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It already is... they're sold by a ton of companies for offroad use, where it isn't a problem.

Of course, jerkoffs use them on-road, too. Which is the problem, and hopefully they get pulled over and at least ticketed for it.

For example here's the one I will probably buy in a couple months: http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com/240w-40-Dual-Row-_p_12.html

240 watts input power... 16000 lumens. Halogens just don't compare, 240 watts worth of halogen bulbs will get you around 4100 lumens.

They're really, really not designed for on-road use though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Some jackoff in a Nissan Rogue had some gigantic LED strips in his grille the other day. They overpowered his low-beams and since they were mounted just as high as the regular lights they were blinding as hell. Like, I actually had spots in my eyes after passing. I hope he finds a really solid oak tree at a high rate of speed.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

krnhotwings posted:

Cadillacs with LED tails are extremely bright as well. The PWM is annoying too, gives them all a strobing effect like a CRT.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hey, guess what motherfucker, when the light's green and you're turning left, you still have to yield to me, even if I'm turning right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

It already is... they're sold by a ton of companies for offroad use, where it isn't a problem.

Of course, jerkoffs use them on-road, too. Which is the problem, and hopefully they get pulled over and at least ticketed for it.

For example here's the one I will probably buy in a couple months: http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com/240w-40-Dual-Row-_p_12.html

Goddamn, so that's what I saw the other night. On a Jeep, on road, of course, and looked exactly like what you linked. I had to pull over for a few minutes after that jackass turned that loving thing on, I couldn't see a drat thing. My eyes felt like I'd been watching someone weld. Or stared into a laser. :catdrugs:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought two G1W dashcams, one for the motorcycle and one for the car. I hope to flood the thread soon with videos of Arizonian (?) drivers' skills.

Also, gently caress non-switched power outlets. I'm doing the janky-as-gently caress "wire from switched fuse to cigar lighter fuse box with one broken-off leg" trick for a few days until I can break out the soldering iron and heatshrink, but I get sad every time I have to pull on tricks/skills I haven't had to use since I was sixteen.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I get the dash cam power from the key on power for the head unit. I'm sure there are other wires that have it as well but they would require effort to find and stuff. I wired that into a cig lighter socket and ziptied it to a support under the dash. The provided wire is pretty much the perfect length to hide from behind my mirror, down the A pillar and around to the center of my dash where the socket is mounted.
Just don't get scared and think something is on fire the first time you drive at night. The red LED on the adapter is bright and will shine red from wherever you have it stashed.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I've had countless drivers pull up alongside with those bright-rear end high beams in just the right spot where it bounces off the driver-side mirror and straight into my eyes.

My passive-aggressive solution to this? Readjust the mirror outward until the beam bounces right back at them. Most people get the message and either back off, blow past or just switch off the high beams.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

I bought two G1W dashcams, one for the motorcycle and one for the car. I hope to flood the thread soon with videos of Arizonian (?) drivers' skills.

As someone who lived in Tucson for three years, I look forwards to your videos with dark and twisted glee.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Everyday Lurker posted:

I've had countless drivers pull up alongside with those bright-rear end high beams in just the right spot where it bounces off the driver-side mirror and straight into my eyes.

My passive-aggressive solution to this? Readjust the mirror outward until the beam bounces right back at them. Most people get the message and either back off, blow past or just switch off the high beams.

This is the greatest thing about having power mirrors; it's so satisfying to give assholes a taste of their own medicine.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SyHopeful posted:

I saw the opposite of this yesterday, mid 2000's Volvo wagon, projectors were aimed so low the cutoff was about 6-8ft infront of the car, that thing must be terrifying to drive on the highway.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Crankit posted:

if you're driving a Mustang GT from the '05 redesign, your fog lights should be mandatory for the sheer pleasure of the other drivers.

Even in my drive like an rear end in a top hat days I happily pulled over to the slow lane to let those mean looking motherfuckers pass me.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

SyHopeful posted:

I drive a 2010 Peugeot 207 99g which sits rather low to the ground(factory configuration, not lowered in any way), and every time an X3 or an X5 drives behind me I get blinded. Happens with other higher-sitting cars or maladjusted headlights as well, but most often with those. Somehow their lights are at the perfect height to turn my rearview mirror into a shining beacon of xenon, which is especially terrible at night.

Also, I wish they enforced the law for rear foglights a bit more here. If it's dark and/or slightly raining some people already start flicking theirs on. I'm aware Belgian law states you can also use them during heavy rain or snow, but that's only when visibility is severely impacted to less than 100 meters(same with regular fog)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Chinatown posted:

I prefer to drive with my fogs on at night because I feel it gives me better visibility for potholes and hidden dips. San Diego streets are embarrassingly bad.

Fog lights tend to light up the area right in front of you, at the expense of your long range night vision. In a city setting where there are streetlights everywhere it's probably not a big deal, but having light reflecting off the ground right in front of you will hurt your night vision.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TrueChaos posted:

Fog lights tend to light up the area right in front of you, at the expense of your long range night vision. In a city setting where there are streetlights everywhere it's probably not a big deal, but having light reflecting off the ground right in front of you will hurt your night vision.
Yeah, I've tried to explain this to my dad, but he still has them on unnecessarily a lot of the time, and it's the same "seems like there's more light" logic.

With the Cappuccino being so close to the ground, I notice the lack of range in the lighting, even on high beam, when driving on unlit country roads. And other people's dip beams are now at about face height. It doesn't help that the size of the thing means that when Sir Twatflaps in a lovely pretend-4x4 crossover is right behind you, you get both headlights, one via each side mirror thanks to how narrow the car is in comparison to theirs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I find fog lights work best in snowy conditions as it lets me see where I am on the road better and doesn't light up the falling snow like high beams.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bajaha posted:

I saw the opposite of this yesterday, mid 2000's Volvo wagon, projectors were aimed so low the cutoff was about 6-8ft infront of the car, that thing must be terrifying to drive on the highway.

The S60R and V70R both have this problem, the default height of the headlights is too low. The computer auto-levels them anytime it is reset (battery disconnected or similar) but its idea of level is so that you only illuminate a short distance in front of the car. Not 6-8 feet, that guy's got an issue, but still not nearly far enough. The result is that you have to manually adjust them up anytime the battery is disconnected or you can't see poo poo at night. You have to remember to put them back down again before you have any reason for the computer to be reset though or you won't be able to bring them back up to where they need to be without lowering them and resetting it again. It sucks.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dissss posted:

German cars (BMWs and Audis in particular) just seem to be aimed too high right from the factory. Around here it seems they only get corrected once the car is out of warranty (i.e. no longer has its safety inspections done at the dealership)
I dunno about any other Audis, but my '11 A3 auto-levels the headlights every time I turn them on to account for current weight distribution in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bizwank posted:

I dunno about any other Audis, but my '11 A3 auto-levels the headlights every time I turn them on to account for current weight distribution in the car.

I bet they're still consistently too high.