Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
(put a '59 in the neck!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

JohnnySmitch posted:

So whatever happened to that pick megathread that was gonna happen? I was strangely looking forward to it.

Well I talked to Vinni and I think maybe I can kick it off with a free V-Picks giveaway so that's what's going on with that right now. I have other writing going on at the moment but this is important enough to me to get some attention this week for sure.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

So, ya putting a 59 or a jazz in the neck?

I thought about it, but I really like the burstbucker that's in the neck. The one that was in the bridge was just a little too...raw for my likings.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Acoustics answer the the Sunn Coliseum - big and heavy. I am done buying amps for awhile.

(unless y'all can find me a matching V2 oversized 412 or 8ohm emperor cab then ill love you forever)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Juaguocio posted:

The Dingwall wait is killing me right now. It'll look like this, but with a bridge pickup and a wenge neck.

ugh, fanned frets. how does it feel? (never had a chance to play one)

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
It finally came! :fap:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

poxin posted:

That is one mean looking Parker. Love it!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
All guitar necks should be made by Parker. I've had a few before in the past but this one is infused by some sort of magic. Haven't been able to put it down :)

JD
Jan 11, 2003
The frets are glued on rather than hammered in. So weird to me. They can fall off.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

poxin posted:

Parkers are the best at the whole completely hosed up looking design yet still somehow awesome looking thing. Nice one! I really love how the finish looks with that fretboard.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm going to start a pick megathread soon, and I'm talking with Vinni right now about the possibility of some pick give-aways to kick it off. My initial thoughts are an Infinity or two because that's sorta, I dunno, my signature pick, as strange as that sounds given that I am not an internationally famous rock star :shepface:, and a few starter packs. I don't think I'd have much luck trying to get anyone else who makes picks to do the same - I know Patrick is always very busy and probably doesn't have time to do all the hand-work required to get some picks together for give-aways, and Dugain is busy through April. I sincerely doubt that Dave at Red Bear Trading Company would do it, I can't remember ever hearing of a give-away; and while he's a very nice guy, I couldn't see Matthew at Bluechip putting his super duper pricey plastic up for give-away, either. And I can't even get in touch with Wegen for custom pick inquiries, let alone for the idea of getting some of his stuff in to give it away :saddowns:.

So, V-Picks may be the only thing I can get. There are definitely advantages to working with a more available material and combining industrial basic construction methods with finishing done by-hand. Even though it's not extruded acrylic that you can get at Lowes or whatever, cast acrylic is still more affordable in bulk and that means a lot when you're asking somebody to go out on a limb for ya. Still, I love them a bunch and they're the least costly of all the boutique picks in common use, I know a bunch of y'all have been able to try them over the years specifically because they don't cost an arm and a leg TO try.

I would like for people to spread the wealth; if they win something and don't like it, in whatever mod-approved method I come up with for the give-away(s), I would really want people to be willing to mail the pick or picks they don't want to others. I feel like in this way we might be able to make sure everyone who wants to try v-picks, at least, gets a chance to do so.

Anyway, basic idea sound fun to anyone? Pick talk to get it out of various threads where it doesn't really belong, giveaway(s... maybe, depending on how it goes of course), Q&A for those of us who use weird picks to respond to anyone's inquiries as to why in the gently caress we do that, in one place.

I would like to reiterate that if I'm able to get some stuff for give-aways, it would be important to me for people to do the pass-it-on thing if they get a pick they don't really like or want, but other than that it seems like discussion could be pretty straightforward and, eventually, self-sustaining. Sound good? If so, I plan to have it done this weekend, as I have some other writing duties that come first, let me know if y'all are into the idea.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed posted:

I'm going to start a pick megathread soon, and I'm talking with Vinni right now about the possibility of some pick give-aways to kick it off. My initial thoughts are an Infinity or two because that's sorta, I dunno, my signature pick, as strange as that sounds given that I am not an internationally famous rock star :shepface:, and a few starter packs. I don't think I'd have much luck trying to get anyone else who makes picks to do the same - I know Patrick is always very busy and probably doesn't have time to do all the hand-work required to get some picks together for give-aways, and Dugain is busy through April. I sincerely doubt that Dave at Red Bear Trading Company would do it, I can't remember ever hearing of a give-away; and while he's a very nice guy, I couldn't see Matthew at Bluechip putting his super duper pricey plastic up for give-away, either. And I can't even get in touch with Wegen for custom pick inquiries, let alone for the idea of getting some of his stuff in to give it away :saddowns:.

So, V-Picks may be the only thing I can get. There are definitely advantages to working with a more available material and combining industrial basic construction methods with finishing done by-hand. Even though it's not extruded acrylic that you can get at Lowes or whatever, cast acrylic is still more affordable in bulk and that means a lot when you're asking somebody to go out on a limb for ya. Still, I love them a bunch and they're the least costly of all the boutique picks in common use, I know a bunch of y'all have been able to try them over the years specifically because they don't cost an arm and a leg TO try.

I would like for people to spread the wealth; if they win something and don't like it, in whatever mod-approved method I come up with for the give-away(s), I would really want people to be willing to mail the pick or picks they don't want to others. I feel like in this way we might be able to make sure everyone who wants to try v-picks, at least, gets a chance to do so.

Anyway, basic idea sound fun to anyone? Pick talk to get it out of various threads where it doesn't really belong, giveaway(s... maybe, depending on how it goes of course), Q&A for those of us who use weird picks to respond to anyone's inquiries as to why in the gently caress we do that, in one place.

I would like to reiterate that if I'm able to get some stuff for give-aways, it would be important to me for people to do the pass-it-on thing if they get a pick they don't really like or want, but other than that it seems like discussion could be pretty straightforward and, eventually, self-sustaining. Sound good? If so, I plan to have it done this weekend, as I have some other writing duties that come first, let me know if y'all are into the idea.

I'm 110% in. I love the idea of a pay it forward system too. I'm always up for sending out some picks/etc to someone who would like to try something.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Agreed posted:

Super awesome. I look forward to reading it. And yeah, the pick-go-round thing is really cool

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Agreed posted:

I'm going to start a pick megathread soon
Please do!!!

For the record, after talking at some length with Agreed I made a fairly sizable purchase from Vinny and I'll be making more in the future.
While it might be the same for everyone, V-Picks made a HUGE difference to me, and I absolutely love them.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

This is more "post your next super cool thing going on in your life as a music industry person" than anything specific to a single piece of gear, but here's my first submitted review for Tone Report/Tone Report Weekly, a recently cemented writing gig:

http://www.tonereport.com/issue12/files/45.html

Reviewing the fly as hell Dunlop CM95 Clyde McCoy Cry Baby Wah. $199 for pretty much the dead-on guitar sound of a classic Vox Clyde and all the (actually good) clones of it made within a year of its introduction because Thomas Organ Company nor Vox bothered to protect the name. Didn't used to have to capitalize "Halo" when talking about the inductor, but Dunlop's a mite more fastidious than Vox was, back in the day, and Dunlop's engineers did a very laudable job making a new halo inductor that recreates the ideal resonant peak behavior of the old halo inductor pretty much perfectly but prevents microphonics that could manifest due to some instability in the original inductor's core. This is not to be confused with the intentional magnetic anomaly in Fasel inductors that gives them their characteristic harmonic excitement, by the way. Oh, wahs, you're so fun. :allears:

An inductor alone does not make a wah; there's the input transistor's effect on the sweep, the potentiometer itself of course, the output transistor's milder impact, and the overall choices made in parting the unit out to set the fixed Q, adjust the nature of the formant, and all that jazz.

This unit does not feature any adjustable Q or anything, minus the (durable - thick and well braced) treadle tension. This lack of adjustment is offset, I feel, by the positive feature that it it is dialed in to sound like god's own Crybaby from the factory.

If they'd have made this thing in 2006-2007 I'd have saved $600 by now because I'd have tried this, loved it, and not needed poo poo since. I think it's better than the Fulltone Clyde Standard, too. I feel like Dunlop's engineers have a better inductor than Mike does and have nailed the sweep as well as the voice. Now, the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe is pretty damned nice, and I think you could get that one in order to be able to dial it in to sound as authentic as the (at that point $90 cheaper) Dunlop CM95 if for some reason you're averse to Dunlop :v:.

I mean, I still like my George Lynch Dragon Wah, it's cool, but frankly it does not sound as good nor is it as easy to use for a variety of things. I still ... sniffle ... got my "wow" mode ... :cry:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

adary posted:

When I tried a Super J prior to ordering my P, it took less than a minute to feel completely natural. The fan is 35-32"- not too far from standard long scale. Playing on the upper frets requires the most adjustment in technique.

The 37-34" fan, like on this Afterburner, takes a bit more getting used to:

I was very close to ordering a Dingwall with this new 3 pickup arrangement, but in the end, my need for a true Precision pickup won out.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Poor man Bass VI showed up finally.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Sockington posted:

Nice. Other than the blocks and binding (and lack of a lock on the trem) looks just like my expensive MIJ Fender IV. We won't be doing a tone comparison*.

*Because they actually probably sound the same. Or pretty close.

I'm interested in the actual weight of the Squier. Mine is 9.8lbs and I want to know if that due to wood or the fact that the body is significantly larger than anything else in the Fender lineup.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sockington posted:

That looks rad as gently caress, does it come tuned like a guitbass or what's the deal there? I want one of those now, seems like it's a few hardware upgrades away from being really really nice.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Speaking of pickchat, if anyone would like a V-Pick from the 'starter package', shoot me a PM with your address. I'll shoot you a randomly selected one, if you don't dig it just pass it on.

They're good picks, my tastes just (strangely) lean towards the thicker, unbuffed, sharper picks (I'm about to order a few more of Agreed's signature pick actually, along with the pointy, unbuffed Snake), so I'm not really into the plain, flat ones.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Agreed posted:

This is more "post your next super cool thing going on in your life as a music industry person" than anything specific to a single piece of gear, but here's my first submitted review for Tone Report/Tone Report Weekly, a recently cemented writing gig:

http://www.tonereport.com/issue12/files/45.html

Reviewing the fly as hell Dunlop CM95 Clyde McCoy Cry Baby Wah. $199 for pretty much the dead-on guitar sound of a classic Vox Clyde and all the (actually good) clones of it made within a year of its introduction because Thomas Organ Company nor Vox bothered to protect the name. Didn't used to have to capitalize "Halo" when talking about the inductor, but Dunlop's a mite more fastidious than Vox was, back in the day, and Dunlop's engineers did a very laudable job making a new halo inductor that recreates the ideal resonant peak behavior of the old halo inductor pretty much perfectly but prevents microphonics that could manifest due to some instability in the original inductor's core. This is not to be confused with the intentional magnetic anomaly in Fasel inductors that gives them their characteristic harmonic excitement, by the way. Oh, wahs, you're so fun. :allears:

An inductor alone does not make a wah; there's the input transistor's effect on the sweep, the potentiometer itself of course, the output transistor's milder impact, and the overall choices made in parting the unit out to set the fixed Q, adjust the nature of the formant, and all that jazz.

This unit does not feature any adjustable Q or anything, minus the (durable - thick and well braced) treadle tension. This lack of adjustment is offset, I feel, by the positive feature that it it is dialed in to sound like god's own Crybaby from the factory.

If they'd have made this thing in 2006-2007 I'd have saved $600 by now because I'd have tried this, loved it, and not needed poo poo since. I think it's better than the Fulltone Clyde Standard, too. I feel like Dunlop's engineers have a better inductor than Mike does and have nailed the sweep as well as the voice. Now, the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe is pretty damned nice, and I think you could get that one in order to be able to dial it in to sound as authentic as the (at that point $90 cheaper) Dunlop CM95 if for some reason you're averse to Dunlop :v:.

I mean, I still like my George Lynch Dragon Wah, it's cool, but frankly it does not sound as good nor is it as easy to use for a variety of things. I still ... sniffle ... got my "wow" mode ... :cry:

Have you tried the Vox 846HW reissue as well? That's what I've got. Just wondering how they compare. I'd imagine this one would be pretty good, Dunlop did a bang up job of reissuing the Sam Ash Fuzzzz Box (two years after I told the Ashes, "Hey, this would be a great idea" :mad: )

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Grapist posted:

Have you tried the Vox 846HW reissue as well? That's what I've got. Just wondering how they compare. I'd imagine this one would be pretty good, Dunlop did a bang up job of reissuing the Sam Ash Fuzzzz Box (two years after I told the Ashes, "Hey, this would be a great idea" :mad: )

It's also really good, but it was not under review at the time? :v: For what it's worth I think a circuit comparison would likely be pretty close. One could argue that Vox's inductor is closer or that Dunlop's inductor is closer to the original sound, but it'd come down to preference. I think Dunlop's inductor is really, really nice. I doubt that Vox' inductor sucks, though. One note, the Dunlop unit is made with PCB and through-hole construction as opposed to the turret-board of the Vox.

That always makes me kind :raise:, there's no good reason to use a much more difficult construction method when it's not going to affect the sound in the least... Turret board in a pedal. The Ibanez TS808HW is weird like that too. I dunno, just seems awfully... vintagey for vintagey's sake. The original resonant filter circuit was put together on breadboard and all the original wahs of that vintage were made on boards, not point to point turretboard. Just a really peculiar choice that certainly drives the price up thanks to the labor cost it adds but adds nothing else, in my opinion.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Agreed posted:

That looks rad as gently caress, does it come tuned like a guitbass or what's the deal there? I want one of those now, seems like it's a few hardware upgrades away from being really really nice.
E-to-E. The MIJ, Pawnshop and Squier all need bridge upgrades, but otherwise they don't need anything else. Locking trem isn't really a need; it won't pull itself from normal playing and you really can't play it very hard due to string spacing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

adary posted:

Whatever you do, don't click this link.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

E-to-E. The MIJ, Pawnshop and Squier all need bridge upgrades, but otherwise they don't need anything else. Locking trem isn't really a need; it won't pull itself from normal playing and you really can't play it very hard due to string spacing.

I find the low E a bit flabby, but other than that it seems fine. The nut on the Squier is absolutely terribly finished (on both that I seen, brand new from the box) with the current run. Mine still had white dust up to the first fret and tiny pieces hanging off the nut from final fitting of the strings. Even the outside of the nut has some light tooling marks on one spot from the file job. Fretboard and frets are otherwise flawless much like the rest of the vintage modified series. I think they were just trying to rush these out based on how far behind they were with the orders. My current one still had little fuzzies in the neck pocket from buffing.

The one that was damaged had an ugly brown knot right behind the 7th fret marker, so I don't think they're being very particular with cuts. The neck on this new one is much nicer cosmetically, so hopefully it was just the runt of the litter. The box was not damaged at all in the area of the crack on the first one either. :ohdear:

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Sockington posted:

I find the low E a bit flabby, but other than that it seems fine.
Yeah, don't drop tune or you'll get buzz city.

Sockington posted:

The nut on the Squier is absolutely terribly finished ...The one that was damaged had an ugly brown knot right behind the 7th fret marker
Are these Indonesian or Chinese? I thought they were from the Indonesian factory which is a pretty great factory.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Heads up, got a new round of counterfeit ripoffs coming from China and I don't mean pedal clones with different names. Affects several brands, so far definitely Analogman and Wampler, looks like Xotic as well, who knows the full extent but watch your rear end buying from any retailer you don't trust. Take note:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Agreed I would like to personally thank you for this heads up. I had a friend who freely and happily bought Chinese bootlegs of various Les Pauls. They were complete with serial numbers, MADE IN THE USA markings, and you could still tell from the hardware they were bootlegs.

He got them for like $250 each in really nice cases, too. But he bought about four of them to make two good guitars, after replacing all the hardware, pickups, and electronics for another $400.

I tried to reason with him. "For this price, you could have have a legit Les Paul that you could be proud of!" His answer was, "Yeah, but these are just beaters for stage shows."

All I could do was shake my head.

We're not friends anymore.

I have my grievances with Gibson and Fender, but I'd never turn to China.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Colonial Air Force posted:

Whatever you do, don't click this link.

That is pure sacrilege!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Add Suhr, BB, MXR, and Fulltone to the list of companies affected by currently on-the-market counterfeit products. Jesus, what a bunch of horseshit.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

Are these Indonesian or Chinese? I thought they were from the Indonesian factory which is a pretty great factory.

Indonesian.

EDIT: and this was after dusting it off a bit

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 1, 2014

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Okay, that's a poorly cleaned up nut. I just checked my three Indonesian Squiers and none exhibit that. It's like they were in such a rush they didn't clean up the nut before installing it; just a lot of plastic burrs. Alternatively, I'd like to believe the final guy on the line saw the nut was cut too shallow and repaired it really quickly because a sloppy nut is better than a shallow cut nut.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well, that's why Squier exists.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Well, that's why Squier exists.
Touche.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

You realize that the Squier Classic Vibe series everyone raves about is made in a Chinese factory, right? That said, I agree with the general sentiment - don't buy knockoffs posing as something else.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

You realize that the Squier Classic Vibe series everyone raves about is made in a Chinese factory, right? That said, I agree with the general sentiment - don't buy knockoffs posing as something else.
No, I didn't know that; but I don't have a problem with Chinese luthiers. I have a problem with faking American-manufactured goods and selling them online to unscrupulous buyers who want the cred without the real deal.
This is also why I hate "reliced" guitars. All of my beat-to-poo poo guitars were beat-to-poo poo through honest beatings they took since I bought them new. I would never take a belt-sander or a chisel to a brand-new beautiful instrument to make it look like it's seen better days.

In other words, I think we agree.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

There are more and more brands turning up from this one factory that's counterfeiting stuff (poorly), that's really the start and end of the problem. Major and minor brands. They're ripping off dunlop, they're ripping off mad professor - and I don't mean clones, this isn't a clone debate, those are soooo done to death, everyone knows what they think about clones :) This is straight up counterfeit, which has the potential to really harm a brand if the workmanship and overall quality is terrible (which it is in the case of this particular factory) and anyone who is naive to the actual products mistakenly takes them to be the genuine article. "this sounds like poo poo" or "that loving thing broke after a few stomps" becomes somebody disliking a brand on totally fabricated pretenses. It's lovely for the industry, it's lovely for end users, it's just lovely. Trying to help spread the word, because that's about the most effective way for peer-to-peer help re: avoiding counterfeit poo poo; I presume companies will be lawyering up and going after U.S. distribution, as this is most definitely actionable, but that's not my business anymore, you know?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm totally with you, Agreed, because so many people buy these bootleg counterfeits thinking they are just getting a really good price with a long shipping time. They have no idea they are giving their money to liars and thieves and depriving the original designers of the hard work they have put into their products to earn your hard-earned money.

And then the product shows up and it's poo poo and the buyers blame the original producers.

If they're anything like my ex-Chinese Les Paul friend, they had to post several auctions with huge disclaimers just trying to get rid of them. Dude even tried to sell me a counterfeit Zakk Wylde Camo Bullseye Les Paul and all I could say was, "You don't want MY money."

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Out of curiosity, how did counterfeit Les Paul guy go btw? Was switching out the hardware and pickups and electronics an ok solution for some decent beater stage axes or did the whole thing just fail miserably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

crosspost from the guitar thread:

So I finally wound that pickup.

I uhhh...literally overwound it? I was shooting for 10,000 winds, and I got just about that (maybe 10,002 or something). Now begins the sad part...I have no idea whether or not it works because I don't have a single coil guitar, nor the money to buy one. Also, I guess the pole pieces have to be charged? That's what the internet says, at least. I'm going to look more into that later.

I've ordered a strat pickguard that I'll be installing this into so I can hypothetically put a craigslist ad out saying "hey, loan me your strat for a few hours, and I'll give you a pack of strings" with an explanation of what I'm trying to do. At least it sounds like something Austinites would be into.

Oh yeah, here's a video of the pickup actually being wound by my ghoulish self:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq2SyKBNc2Y