Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty bad at stuff I guess. It's just sort of how I feel; I imagine a lot of it is because I mostly just watch comedies, and there's not much new that I've heard of that's any good. Always Sunny, Parks, Community and Archer can't last forever.

Watch Brooklyn 99, it's better than every show you just listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Indeed, I've watched all of the League, but I don't care at all about fantasy football, and the last season seemed kinda mediocre.

I stopped watching after a few episodes because it was just exceedingly vile and mean, even for that show.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Is the hannibal thread safe now that I've seen the premeire? I didn't watch any previews...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, I remember that episode. Definitely one of the lesser ones, though I still personally enjoyed it. I'd watch the pilot before you completely write it off. There's still a good chance that you might not like it, but it's a far better demonstration of what this show has to offer.

Or even, if you can catch it on demand, the first episode of this season. It leans a bit on things that happened last season (his ex-girlfriend, the "Hey LA!" girl, the movie Jim had auditioned for but blew because he was an unbelievable idiot with his would-be co-star), but the episode itself explains those things well enough. And it puts Grumbly Australian's behavior into a certain context that shows he's not supposed to be right and you're not always supposed to laugh.

I mean, look, I enjoyed Season 3 of Community. I'm of the opinion that just because a show is sold as a "comedy" doesn't mean you have to laugh at it. Maybe this just isn't for you, so I don't want to be seen as moving the goalposts or pushing you into moving the show up the queue. I'm just saying, if you ever want to give it another shot, those two episodes might be better bets.

Yeah, alright, maybe I'll get back to it. But there are like a billion other shows I need to get around to checking out first. And I love comedies that aren't laugh a minute factories. CoughLouiecough. There's just usually something else in there to make up for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

I stopped watching after a few episodes because it was just exceedingly vile and mean, even for that show.

I didn't really like League's latest season because it was mean, but it seriously crutched way too hard on the same old easy jokes. There were literally like four episodes devoted to "we're saying things that make it sound like Andre is gay and he doesn't get it".

The Rafi/Dirty Randy road trip was excellent, however.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Portlandia is back, apparently.

precision posted:

The Rafi/Dirty Randy road trip was excellent, however.

I don't even watch The League and enjoyed the Rafi episode.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rarity posted:

I'll definitely check it out if/when it gets renewed for a second season. But I don't believe for a second that it corks even hold a candle to Sunny.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PittTheElder posted:

I'll definitely check it out if/when it gets renewed for a second season. But I don't believe for a second that it corks even hold a candle to Sunny.

Same level, different wing of the house.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
All this B99 talk is true. For me it's the only comedy this season that has had 100% good shows so far. Solid comedy all around.

I also agree with the Rafi episode being the only stand out ep of The League this season too. Basically, I'm just here to agree with good opinions all around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Same level, different wing of the house.

Hey are you making the Bates Motel thread? I will if nobody else does (I feel like I say that a lot...)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure it's been renewed so get to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Hey are you making the Bates Motel thread? I will if nobody else does (I feel like I say that a lot...)
I was planning on making one the day of because I was one of the only thread regulars for last season while it was airing, but you can do it instead if you've already come up with ideas :)

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
Does anyone know how long FX usually leaves episodes up on their website for streaming? Asking with The Americans in mind. They don't have an expiration date listed, and it's not on Hulu this time so I can't check there. I still have to finish the first season, and I'm worried I'll get really behind again. :ohdear:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

PittTheElder posted:

It's getting renewed with it's combination of attention, ratings, and Fox pushing it. It's a good show and there's no need to worry about an axe.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's getting renewed with it's combination of attention, ratings, and Fox pushing it. It's a good show and there's no need to worry about an axe.

While I've only seen about 7 episodes, let's not forget it's also won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy and Actor (Andy Samberg)- making it the most critically acclaimed show on Fox.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm not caught up with Bates Motel so someone else should totally feel free to make the thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was planning on making one the day of because I was one of the only thread regulars for last season while it was airing, but you can do it instead if you've already come up with ideas :)

Nah go for it, I just want there to be one because other than The Americans and Rectify it's the most anticipated returning show of the year for me, especially since I've seen the previews.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

Portlandia is back, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQ-HnSIY2s

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

How long has this show been going on? This was hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

How long has this show been going on? This was hilarious.

Several years. The quality can vary but I'd say that it's generally quite high. Carrie and Fred have amazing chemistry and, having the advantage of being in their mid-late 30s and having a sense of humor, are much better at making fun of hipsters than younger, more cynical people (especially since they were hipsters before hipster was a word).

e: Also, any episode with Kyle McLachlan as The Mayor is amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It's a sitcom. That plan is dumb enough with something serial, but it doesn't matter if a sitcom gets more than one season or not.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

Several years. The quality can vary but I'd say that it's generally quite high. Carrie and Fred have amazing chemistry and, having the advantage of being in their mid-late 30s and having a sense of humor, are much better at making fun of hipsters than younger, more cynical people (especially since they were hipsters before hipster was a word).

If you got Netflix, it has three seasons.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lycus posted:

If you got Netflix, it has three seasons.

I mentioned this either earlier in this thread or in another thread, but do NOT watch this while dealing with insomnia. The one time I did that, the last 5 minutes turned out to be a breathless French New Wave parody that left me pretty sure I had a fever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rarity posted:

While I don't agree 100%, there's at least a dozen more shows you should be watching if those strike your fancy. TV comedy is an at an all time high. And then you have amazing podcasts too, like Andy Daly's.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

It's seriously great, it's less a lazy parody of hipsters and more like a surreal sketch comedy show that just happens to use Portland as its backdrop. And it isn't just limited to skewering hipsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3v5yDk9Ws

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is that dude a comedian? Looks like a real nerd.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's seriously great, it's less a lazy parody of hipsters and more like a surreal sketch comedy show that just happens to use Portland as its backdrop. And it isn't just limited to skewering hipsters:

Yeah it's legit good in spite of Armisen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXtqmanVIQ

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainHollywood posted:

While I've only seen about 7 episodes, let's not forget it's also won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy and Actor (Andy Samberg)- making it the critically acclaimed show on Fox.

One too many words.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven't watched Legit from last night, but the very fact its called Loveline and the thumbnail I can see for the episode looks like at least Drew is involved has me itching to see it. Shame they haven't paired it with something else to make it thread worthy as the one last year was slow, but it was fun to read regardless. It's a good TV show.
I liked the episode and I like the direction it looks like this season is going- namely, all the bad poo poo that happened in Season 1 looks like it's going to come back to haunt Jim and the gang. Obviously not as many people are going to watch this season because it doesn't have Archer as a lead-in and it's on FXX, so here's hoping it doesn't languish.

Gonz posted:

Season 3 of Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule premiered on Adult Swim last night, and it was glorious. If you're not watching this show, you need to start, ya dingus.
I was a little worried about the co-host joining Steve, but those worries died along with the co-host. Next week looks like it will be great.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm way late in this but I finally caught Sex House.

:catstare:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Now it's time to check out Porkin' Across America :mrapig:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Thwomp posted:

The last few episodes of Sex House was some of darkest stuff i've seen in years. It was incredible.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Postal Parcel posted:

Now it's time to check out Porkin' Across America :mrapig:

I'm sad that The Onion's output has dried up so much post-Porkin'. Their TED Talks parody was the video equivalent of their articles where the headline is the joke and everything else is just pointless :words: and their excuse was that they had moved all their staff to Onion News Empire but it's been like a year since the pilot was turned down and they haven't done anything since.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hey, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I am legit gonna lose my mind soon. if I don't get some context for this scene. I was young and waiting for Walker Texas Ranger to come on because we didn't have cable and I didn't have friends, and instead of Chuck Norris saving his friends' kids, this crime show came on. In the intro, some guy was strapped to a cart with packing tape over his mouth, and he apparently owed enough money for some guy to kill him with a welding torch. Does anyone know what show it might have been from? It seems like a Criminal Minds thing, but I never found anything on it. It was pretty hosed up, and I still sort of get nightmares about it, so I'm wondering if it was put into context as some lovely '90s show if it will just make it seem more ridiculous.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aphrodite posted:

It's a sitcom. That plan is dumb enough with something serial, but it doesn't matter if a sitcom gets more than one season or not.

Eh, I just really hate liking something, and seeing it disappear so suddenly. It's not such an issue with comedies, but it still bothers me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

While I don't agree 100%, there's at least a dozen more shows you should be watching if those strike your fancy. TV comedy is an at an all time high. And then you have amazing podcasts too, like Andy Daly's.

Go on...

Thwomp posted:

Oh gods, I completely forgot about Sex House and how perfect it is. It starts as a perfect genre parody, and then oh lord. That ending.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm watching Season 2 Episode 1 of House of Cards.

:stonk:

No loving way that just happened. That was a dream sequence, right? What in the hell?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Time for me to be a dork and cross post something from the SNL weekly thread into here to see if anyone here is interested!

Mo0 posted:

Hey everyone! Deadpool approached me with a pretty neat idea, and it's going to start for next week's show.

You know how Saturday Night Live used to air classic episodes of SNL right after new ones? Would you like to recreate that magic using the power of The Internet (tm)?

Well now we can! Next week's thread will go up with a poll attached, to choose between a few classic episodes. After the show, we'll stream the most popular choice as a good old-fashioned rerun! That thread can then continue on as the livepost thread for that classic episode as well.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions regarding this, I'm all ears! Everything's still being worked out, so ideas are always helpful!

This has been your periodic Mo0 Bothering You Post. Brought to you by Lumber Liquidators.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mo0 posted:

Time for me to be a dork and cross post something from the SNL weekly thread into here to see if anyone here is interested!

This has been your periodic Mo0 Bothering You Post. Brought to you by Lumber Liquidators.

This should be a fun experiment that most likely will end badly for everyone involved!

Also, I'm just now catching up with the season premiere of Vikings and holy poo poo that battle in the first scene was goddamn insane. Brutal stuff.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Pretty sure it's been renewed so get to it.

B9-9 has not been renewed yet and is in fact still on the bubble, despite the Golden Globes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
While people are talking about TV comedy I feel it my humanitarian duty to point out that Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle just started it's third series. The format for this series looks to be Lee's usual stand-up sections interspersed with brief improvised faux interview snippets with Chris Morris (yes, that one, Brass Eye, Four Lions, everything worthwhile in British comedy for twenty years).

Last night's episode was about imagination and has an excellent example of how a master comedian can make people laugh without saying, or indeed appearing to do, anything.

• Locked thread