Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Luigi Thirty posted:

When Taker or Big E pull the straps on their singlet down before doing a power move, what's that supposed to do according to wrestling logic?

It means the match is getting more serious/intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The Big Ending has to be one of the worst finishers I've seen in awhile.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Writer Cath posted:

It means the match is getting more serious/intense.
Yup. The same as a guy loosening his tie before a fight. It's meaningless in real life, but it's something people actually do for some reason.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Are the belts made using real precious metals and stones? Something about the kind of punishment a belt could go through tells me that the promotions through the years wouldn't have wanted to use real gold or jewels for them, so I gotta ask.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Luigi Thirty posted:

When Taker or Big E pull the straps on their singlet down before doing a power move, what's that supposed to do according to wrestling logic?

It makes finishers stronger. Like how flame designs make cars go faster. Doy.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

:golfclap:

I'd say Dreamer was a face for 99% of his life, but I have no idea what he got up to in TNA

Pretty sure he was a heel in the beginning of his ecw career as well, I think his gimmick was like suspenders wearing pretty boy or something.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

Are the belts made using real precious metals and stones? Something about the kind of punishment a belt could go through tells me that the promotions through the years wouldn't have wanted to use real gold or jewels for them, so I gotta ask.

The metal is usually something like nickel that gets coated in gold or silver paint. I imagine the jewels are imitation as well. WWE has several versions of each title, including a "HD" one for TV. Stone Cold had Dave Millican (the guy who does the WWE belts) on his podcast a few weeks back and it was pretty interesting.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

I can't recall any significant indie guy in recent years who's claimed that he'd refuse to go there or knock people who do.

Eddie Kingston just did this in his shoot interview.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Eddie Kingston just did this in his shoot interview.

He said significant, not shitnificent.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Where can I get a Sexy Star lucha mask with the top cut out?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

According to wikipedia, which source's Ted Dibase's autobiography:

"The Million Dollar Belt was designed by Terry Betteridge of Betteridge Jewelers in Greenwich, Connecticut. The belt is gold plated, made with cubic zirconia, and has three tiny diamonds that were inserted behind the belt. The belt cost around $125,000."

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I think The Road Warriors and Koko B. Ware were always faces.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Grey posted:

The Road Warriors had a few heel runs and Koko was briefly a heel in Memphis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Grey posted:

Road warriors turned heel on Sting in 88.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Timby posted:

Road warriors turned heel on Sting in 88.

Has Sting ever teamed with anyone who didn't later turn heel on him? Dusty Rhodes is the only guy I can thing of off the top of my head.

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

bartok posted:

Has Sting ever teamed with anyone who didn't later turn heel on him? Dusty Rhodes is the only guy I can thing of off the top of my head.

...and even Dusty joined the nWo, Sting's nemeses (...for a while, anyway).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bartok posted:

... Robocop?

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

The Grey posted:

According to wikipedia, which source's Ted Dibase's autobiography:

"The Million Dollar Belt was designed by Terry Betteridge of Betteridge Jewelers in Greenwich, Connecticut. The belt is gold plated, made with cubic zirconia, and has three tiny diamonds that were inserted behind the belt. The belt cost around $125,000."

No sir. That belt cost $1,000,000 in 1989. Adjusted for inflation to 2014 it is worth $1,000,000.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

omgomgomg posted:

As far as I know, Abdullah the Butcher, The Iron Sheik, Bobby Heenan, Drew McIntyre, Jinder Mahal and Wade Barrett have always been heels.

Junk Yard Dog, Warrior, El Santo, Kerry and Kevin Von Erich always face

Bobby was nominally a face in WCW after Hogan turned heel, but I don't know if you're counting announcing work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Capsaicin posted:

Has Regal ever been a babyface aside from his recent announcer gig?

His love for Eugene turned him face, as did his bromance with Tajiri.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Red posted:

... Robocop?

The Mega Powers Explode in: RoboCop 2

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LividLiquid posted:

Yup. The same as a guy loosening his tie before a fight. It's meaningless in real life, but it's something people actually do for some reason.

Is it Kurt Angle who does it twice in a match? Or am I thinking of someone else?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

His love for Eugene turned him face, as did his bromance with Tajiri.

Regal and Tajiri was a fun dynamic. Some of the reactions from Regal when he watches Tajiri compete for the first time in WWE are amazing, but Regal's always been top notch at facial reactions to stuff.

Hey, if Sting signs with WWE for sure, maybe Regal can clap Sting so hard that Sting swears again. That'd be fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WadeBartender posted:

Pretty sure he was a heel in the beginning of his ecw career as well, I think his gimmick was like suspenders wearing pretty boy or something.

Yep, he turned during a feud with Sandman, when he lost a 'loser gets caned' match, if I recall. (Right around the time the guy getting caned in Singapore was in the US news) The gimmick was that Sandman would stop if Tommy begged him to. Tommy just kept taking the hits and doing the "Thank you, sir, may I have another?" shtick until the crowd began to respect him for being tough and sticking to his guns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

Is it Kurt Angle who does it twice in a match? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Pretty sure that was him. I remember there was a match where he went to do that, but he'd already done it, so he pulled them back up.

bartok posted:

Not as Sting but I don't think the Blade Runners lasted long enough for any such thing to happen. Unless Warrior turned on him as his way of departing Mid-South, but I think he just left.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 2, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Red posted:

... Robocop?

He turned heel in America just this year. Remake. :argh:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I Before E posted:

He said significant, not shitnificent.

Yeah it doesn't really count if the guy saying it has absolutely no shot at getting signed.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Regal and Tajiri was a fun dynamic. Some of the reactions from Regal when he watches Tajiri compete for the first time in WWE are amazing, but Regal's always been top notch at facial reactions to stuff.

Tajiri and Regal were so great, also that interview with Austin and them (can't find it) was hilarious.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tajiri: *Ten seconds of yammering in Japanese*

Austin: You're a wise man, Tie-jiri.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Dq8LtQ0GE

There's no point of this where Tajiri doesn't look genuinely confused.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Did he ever Stunner Tajiri, and if so, did Tajiri spit out beer mist?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VogeGandire posted:

Oh god, the "what"s were a horrible mistake, weren't they?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dsriggs posted:

Oh god, the "what"s were a horrible mistake, weren't they?

I believe Austin has said that the "what" gimmick is one of his biggest career regrets and he feels for everyone who has had to deal with it since.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I remember Austin saying the opposite and that it's the talents fault if the crowd nails them with whats. Something about cadence and not giving the fans a chance to do it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Perfidus posted:

I remember Austin saying the opposite and that it's the talents fault if the crowd nails them with whats. Something about cadence and not giving the fans a chance to do it.

One of the things I noticed early about Bray Wyatt is that he's really good at this. One of his early in-ring promos was against a crowd that was "WHAT"-ing pretty much everybody on the mic, and they only managed to get one in on him before he started randomly varying when and how long he paused. You could hear them sort of half-heartedly try and then give up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was watching one of AJ's promos on the Network and it was especially bad, as she was clearly trying to keep talking and kill the Whats, but they were actually Whatting her *while* she was talking.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Skarsnik posted:

Ah, yes - Kurt pulls down his straps, puts them back up, and immediately pulls them back down again, because he was that pissed off. It was definitely a WrestleMania match - either HBK or Eddie. I'm guessing HBK.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The schtick, if I remember right, was that Regal gave Tajiri a pity "tryout" against Crash Holly, and assumed Tajiri would lose. Tajiri, however, annihiliated Holly with his submissions and kicks while doing these screeches. Regal's face pretty much said "Holy gently caress, what have I found?".

Edit: Here it is - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tbz3_crash-holly-vs-tajiri_sport

Edit: The best part of that match is Tajiri hugging Regal, and Regal having none of it.

VogeGandire posted:

You know, I just assume that everyone backstage loved Tajiri, and loved working with him.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 2, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Red posted:

You know, I just assume that everyone backstage loved Tajiri, and loved working with him.

He kayfabed his English-speaking ability all the time. He travelled with the Bashams, Cena and Funaki, and he'd constantly pretend to understand less English than he actually could, but then forget about it when they were drinking, so he'd become MORE fluent the more he had to drink.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
God drat do I miss Tajiri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Capsaicin posted:

Has Regal ever been a babyface aside from his recent announcer gig?

He was WWE commissioner during the Invasion, and he got cheered as a face as a result. Years later, he said that while it was sort of interesting, it also felt fundamentally weird to get overwhelming face pops.