Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Meant to post this here not brewhouse. Whoops.

Game Day Recap:

MurderGoats! I went 3 and 1, losing only to the number 1 player and his two, nut draws in his mono red rush deck. Even after sideboarding in basically all the direct removal in my sideboard. The sideboard was kind of ham-fisted together at the last minute based on what I had around. Mostly I sideboarded in the extra bile blood when needed.

Highlights:

1. I play at a pretty casual game shop but the crowd is different different days, so everyone's faces when they saw the rock lobster/paper tiger/scissors lizard trick for picking whose going first was amazing. I am going to bring ~7 sets of them in my trade binder.

2. Beating someone with the trading posts I bought off him earlier in the day.

3. Everyone also loved the deck gimmick.

4. Opening a Xenagod with my winnings.

Special thanks to the peeps who traded me all the cards to make the deck work at next to last minute. (None are goons afaik).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
People always talk about cracking prize packs. Do your stores not let you take store credit instead?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Played 2 game days today with Mono Blue. Went 2-3 in the first one, and couldn't believe how a deck so bad could win pro tours. Then in the second tournament I went 4-0 and was like "I AM A GOD WALKING AMONG MEN! ALL BOW OR FACE MY WRATH!" It's amazing how much difference a little bit smoother curve can make. Got a sweet playmat, and a bunch of store credit. When entering my codes, I also realized that I missed the 5th promo in the Hero's Path because I had to miss Release weekend because of being a parent (stupid adulthood) if anybody happens to have that promo card and gives no fucks about the online achievement (or has an extra one) and wants to send me that code, I'd be mighty grateful. I'm sure I can find someone at my store who doesn't care, and will toss me a code, but with this whole parenting thing its hard to make it out as much as I used to.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

People always talk about cracking prize packs. Do your stores not let you take store credit instead?

Some of us like to open packs because we don't buy them and we'd rather just open our winnings.

I'd rather not have to wait 3 weeks for one Thassa as opposed to opening Thassa/a rare someone will trade for a Thassa.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just got back from Game Day!

We did two tourneys. One for draft and one for standard. I'm not going to write out a full report, but tl;dr, I drafted a sweet U/W heroic deck that decided to crap out on me, having to mulligan every game except 2. One game, my opening hand was 6 spells and 1 land which was mulligan'd down to 5 lands and my 6 drop which was mulligan'd back to 4 spells and 1 land. loving hell. So, that was a bust despite getting some choice money rares (no mythics, sadly enough).

For the standard tourney, I went with Boros Devotion, and it worked out pretty well going undefeated.

The most memorable match was 2nd round against the guy running the store and his janky Esper Trading Post control deck. It was just counters, destruction, and lifegain from Sphinx's Rev/Trading Post/Blood Baron with Angel's Accord and recurring draw with Prophetic Prism getting sac'd to Post. Its a neat deck, and annoying as hell. I must have done over 50 damage to him the second game. I got his life down to 1 three times in that game and still lost. At least I got him game 3.

Finished off the day crushing the Horde deck with my Phenax mill deck sans any hero cards (because I forgot to bring them). :v: Apparently the deck isn't built to defeat creatures with giant butts. And when you mill all of those artifacts, you get ridiculously good effects. I ended the game with 30 life (didn't take a single hit since Ashiok kept soaking up whatever little damage I couldn't block).

Fun times.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Some of us like to open packs because we don't buy them and we'd rather just open our winnings.

I'd rather not have to wait 3 weeks for one Thassa as opposed to opening Thassa/a rare someone will trade for a Thassa.

I just use my winnings to pay for the entry to the next tournament. :shrug:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

I just use my winnings to pay for the entry to the next tournament. :shrug:

Some of us also don't win 4/5-0 :negative:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

ScarletBrother posted:

My store doesn't offer credit for prizing, but will offer credit on trade-ins. Overall it's still better to trade your winnings to other players for what you need.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Balon posted:

My store doesn't offer credit for prizing, but will offer credit on trade-ins. Overall it's still better to trade your winnings to other players for what you need.

Yeah, a lot of players will trade singles for packs. Seems like a good alternative.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Okay, I love my all-kithkin Gaddock Teeg commander deck. It's so much fun. "Goddamn it Gaddock Teeg" is already a regular phrase in my group and I just got the deck together like a week ago.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Some of us also don't win 4/5-0 :negative:

3-1 gave me $33 in store credit at game day :shrug:

Smaller stores I guess

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mortimer posted:

3-1 gave me $33 in store credit at game day :shrug:

Smaller stores I guess

I top 8'd going 2-2 in a four rounder.

It was a very small Game Day.

Good thing there's another one tomorrow! :buddy:

Edit: Also, do anybody else's LCSs do a March Madness dealio this month? My LCS is giving Store Credit equal to entry fees to anybody who rolls the Highest or Lowest on a D20. I rolled a 2 and got my entry fee in store credit, essentially playing for free

The Modern Masters pack I bought with that had an Arcbound Ravager and a Kitchen Finks :3:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 2, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Legion's Initiative??? :swoon:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Wait...was someone playing it at Melbourne?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AlternateNu posted:

Wait...was someone playing it at Melbourne?
Nah the guy that just lost playing RW aggro was playing it as a 2 mana pump spell and occasional removal dodger for his red weenies at SCG Open.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a good time at Game Day despite only finishing 1-3 with Murdergoats. I haven't played the deck or made any real changes to it since October (besides buying two Temple of Malice right before today's event), but I only got the doors blown off me in one of four rounds so that's encouraging I guess? Recap of what I remember below-

Round 1 vs Monoblack: Lost 1-2. In an odd twist of fate, I get matched up against the last person to see the deck in action. Game 1 we trade a lot of creature removal before he starts drawing nothing but lands and I manage to stabilize. The turn before I come at him with lethal, he digs with THREE Underworld Connections and draws a Gary off the third one, which kills me. Game 2 he mulls to 5 but has me dead to rights with a couple Pack Rats vs my own Rakdos Keyrune, then decides not to overextend. Which proves fatal when I kill his Rats and beat him down with Keyrunes. Game 3 I drop a turn 2 Pithing Needle on Pack Rat but he still manages to take out half my life total with one (pumped with Mutavault) because I can't draw a fourth land or any removal :saddowns: Highlight of the match was him wasting a Hero's Downfall two turns in a row on Akroan Horses (foil Downfalls no less, for which I and his friend gave him a little poo poo). Looking back I shouldn't have reminded him that he's seen the deck before, because the one time I had a Purphoros he Thoughtseize'd it.

Round 2 vs RG Monsters: Lost 1-2. Game 1 he has me dead turn five or six off of some good ramp vs my nearly-nil removal. Game 2 I Thoughtseize him turn 1 to see Courser, Polukranos, and Sylvan Caryatid. I pitch the Caryatid since the others are burnable (and I don't want him to ramp), then he immediately draws and plays another one :sweatdrop: In fact he has three in play at one point, but I'm able to remove his big threats and I get three different kinds of tokens into play at one point, then grind him out with Tymaret sac-damage/recursion. Game 3 I mull to six and he has another fast start, forcing me to play from behind and losing.

Round 3 vs some UW aggro deck?: Won 2-1. Game 1 I get a Pyromancer out early, then he D-Spheres it. I'm dialing up a Ratchet Bomb to kill it but he detains the bomb two turns in a row with Lyev Skyknights and suddenly he's swinging for 11 one turn and 12 unblockable the next (double-strike flying Ephara off of Ajain CotP). Game 2 I get some value out of Young P and Purphoros before both are D-Sphere'd, then I win the flip three times in a row with Molten Birth and he scoops at 8 life with only 7 damage coming his way :confused: I must have had a Tymaret in play or something but I remembered being really surprised to see a scoop so maybe not. Game 3 he gets a lot of early attackers but I somehow live long enough to overload a Mortars, then take command with Purphoros-pumped Tymaret and Mutavault beats.

His deck seemed really interesting, my interpretation was that it's a UW analog to Murdergoats that wins off of Ephara card advantage rather than Purphoros damage. I remember seeing Precinct Captain, Soldier of the Pantheon, Lyev Skyknight, Ephara, D-Sphere, Negate, Banisher Priest, Brave the Elements, Spear of Heliod, and Eidolon of Countless Battles. I told him to try Horse and Post in his deck for extra creature generation. I might try to reverse-engineer the list out of curiosity, he claimed it was a lot better than he played it today but who knows.

Round 4 vs Junk Goodcards.dec: Lost 0-2. Game 1, starting on turn 4 she goes Desecration Demon, Whip of Erebos, Blood Baron, and Reaper of the Wilds :shepface: Luckily for the first time all day I have the full Purphoros/Tymaret/token generator (two in fact!) combo in play and manage to keep pace with her before she pulls ahead and I'm a Lightning Strike from killing her. Looking back I forgot that Blood Baron doesn't have flying unless it's pumped, so I missed a couple chances to chump and fling a token for 2 damange but also no lifegain; I would have won if not for that Whip giving all her stuff lifelink. So then game 2 I Slaughter Games for Whip, only to find two copies and I die to two early Smiters and a Blood Baron anyway. I have no idea why she was at the bottom with me, I guess she lost by the skin of her teeth to Monoblack and then faced Burn another round, which according to her are her two worst matchups? Reaper is also an awful card to face with this deck, since you're sacrificing so many creatures.

At this point there's a 5th round but my girlfriend calls and wants to get a late lunch, so I drop. I still had fun and everyone I played said something like "wow that deck looks fun to play!" or "man, how many angles can you take with that thing?". I wish my work schedule would let me go to any weeknight events at my store, because I'd love to have a chance to play the deck more often because it is a lot of fun if kind of janky. Plus I got a double-wide deckbox from our loser prize pool so now I have another EDH box, and the promo Kiora's Follower is perfect for my budget Momir EDH, so a good day all around.

E: LGS prizechat- heard today that my store is giving a BOX to the winner of its weekly $15 draft league :stare: Does that seem like a big prize to anyone else?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 2, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeahh my gamestore blows. 5 dollar entry to FNMS and only 1 pack per player in prizes, no store credit options, if you try to sell off your packs he gets upset. Drafts are $15 and yet again 1 prize per entrant.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pinwiz11 posted:

I have a RW deck that currently uses it for that purpose. Conveniently if Fanatic of Mogis happens to be out when you activate Initiative you can get the trigger again :getin:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

C-Euro posted:

Round 3 vs some UW aggro deck?: Won 2-1. Game 1 I get a Pyromancer out early, then he D-Spheres it. I'm dialing up a Ratchet Bomb to kill it but he detains the bomb two turns in a row with Lyev Skyknights and suddenly he's swinging for 11 one turn and 12 unblockable the next (double-strike flying Ephara off of Ajain CotP). Game 2 I get some value out of Young P and Purphoros before both are D-Sphere'd, then I win the flip three times in a row with Molten Birth and he scoops at 8 life with only 7 damage coming his way :confused: I must have had a Tymaret in play or something but I remembered being really surprised to see a scoop so maybe not. Game 3 he gets a lot of early attackers but I somehow live long enough to overload a Mortars, then take command with Purphoros-pumped Tymaret and Mutavault beats.

His deck seemed really interesting, my interpretation was that it's a UW analog to Murdergoats that wins off of Ephara card advantage rather than Purphoros damage. I remember seeing Precinct Captain, Soldier of the Pantheon, Lyev Skyknight, Ephara, D-Sphere, Negate, Banisher Priest, Brave the Elements, Spear of Heliod, and Eidolon of Countless Battles. I told him to try Horse and Post in his deck for extra creature generation. I might try to reverse-engineer the list out of curiosity, he claimed it was a lot better than he played it today but who knows.

This is just U/W Devotion which is actually a popular Standard deck right now. It's a known list.

My Game Day was a big old bust. The LGS I went to started at 1pm, then at 1pm they announced they didn't have enough sign-ups for the Game Day and cancelled it. By then all the other local shops had started their tourneys so I was poo poo out of luck.

Ended up hanging around and doing the free Commander event, which was fine. I really wanted to play some competitive Standard though. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

QUICKEN?

What sort of brew is this?!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

QUICKEN?

What sort of brew is this?!
Quicken into Supreme Verdict has been around since Quicken was released. What are you talking about specifically?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Quicken into Supreme Verdict has been around since Quicken was released. What are you talking about specifically?

Don't think I've ever seen Quicken played ever, actually.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

qbert posted:

This is just U/W Devotion which is actually a popular Standard deck right now. It's a known list.

What other cards in the deck care about devotion besides Ephara? I didn't see anything like a Gary or Master of Waves-like star in the deck. I just assumed it was white weenie backed up by some control cards and Ephara for card advantage (since she triggers on each player's turn)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 2, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Don't think I've ever seen Quicken played ever, actually.

Quicken into Divination, dude. Who needs Sphinx's Rev?

C-Euro posted:

What other cards in the deck care about devotion besides Ephara? I didn't see anything like a Gary or Master of Waves-like star in the deck. I just assumed it was white weenie backed up by some control cards and Ephara for card advantage (since she triggers on each player's turn)

None. It really just abuses the devotion that Skyknight and Detention Sphere give to Ephara. The rest of the deck are white weenies, and maybe a couple utility planeswalkers.

I still need two Ephara to build it, but I want to eventually.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

C-Euro posted:

There's three ways to build Ephara decks right now. White weenie shell, mono blue shell, or esper humans shell. I'm not sure which the best one is, although my gut says white weenie shell because of how much you can mess with other decks in terms of:
  • turn 3 spear adding devotion and pumping everything for the rest of the game
  • lots of good double white creatures that have rules text adding a ton of value like Imposing Sovereign, Precinct Captain, and Banisher Priest
  • Brimaz
  • Boros Reckoner screwing up combat math
  • Elspeth out of the board
  • Ajani out of the board
  • etc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Korak posted:

There's three ways to build Ephara decks right now. White weenie shell, mono blue shell, or esper humans shell. I'm not sure which the best one is, although my gut says white weenie shell because of how much you can mess with other decks in terms of:
  • turn 3 spear adding devotion and pumping everything for the rest of the game
  • lots of good double white creatures that have rules text adding a ton of value like Imposing Sovereign, Precinct Captain, and Banisher Priest
  • Brimaz
  • Boros Reckoner screwing up combat math
  • Elspeth out of the board
  • Ajani out of the board
  • etc

I think white weenie is what he was rolling with, I'm not sure if I saw any blue mana sources that weren't dual lands. It seemed like a fun deck, if I had a chance to play Standard on a regular basis I could be talked into building it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The GP Melbourne Quarterfinal match right now is nuts. 49 life (Obzedat + Whip) vs 8 life, and the 8 life guy might win since he ultimated Garruk.

Edit: Yep, G/R dude won with one of the best comebacks I've ever seen on stream. Even the commentators were dumbfounded.

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 2, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Pretty sweet two days for me. Won FNM draft last night with some...black red voltron thing. I'm really going with "Holy poo poo was I lucky." on that one. I played well, but it was a pretty mediocre deck. All three opponents mulled at least once, two of those were down to 5. Then I found out we had Modern Masters draft today.

Ended up with a pretty ridiculous U/G splash red deck. Two Mulldrifters, two Aethersnipe, two Errant Ephemeron, Imperiousaur, Tromp the Domains. My G1 in the finals was the silliest thing ever though. I was flooding super hard. I literally had 15/17 lands on board by the time it was over, and I think another 1 in hand. My opponent had been mana screwed so we were kind of just staring at each other taking occasional pokes until I finally hit gas and Tromped. It's hilarious hard casting Ephemeron plus another 5 casting cost guy in the same turn. G2 flooded out again, but not so bad, and ended up getting beat down by Cloudgoat Ranger and blinding beam. G3 he had an opening hand of 3 blinding beams. I pretty much would have needed all 3 of my burn spells to punch through that cause he had the T5 Ranger, then Marsh Flitter once that died.

Cracked two Coursers and a Kiora in my prize packs over the two days. Which is good cause none of my decks had any value in them. Imperiosaur was my P1P1.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate Magic. Only 7 people showed up for gameday at my LGS so you had to go 2-0 to draw into the top two and I lose my first match on a mull to 5 in G1 and drawing 13 lands in about 18 turns in G2 and my day is over. BRUTAL.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What does Joe Zheng have written on his hand?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I sure do love Thoughtseize. Nothing like mulliganing to 6 and keeping a 1-lander because it's got potential and I was on the draw anyway, only to lose the game turn 0 to a Thoughtseize and then get hit by another one on turn 1. It sure does make for a fun, healthy, skill-intensive format!

I'm done with standard. 9 Thoughtseizes in 3 games when I'm already at a disadvantage is enough to convince me to quit a format I don't like anyway. It's unfortunate that most of the modern players at my store don't play actual decks, and nobody wants to play legacy even though they don't think twice about dropping $400 on some cards for their commander deck.

2/2 at game day.

I beat some Jund thing 2/0 that was basically my Golgari deck with less removal and some red for some card that I'm assuming I would have seen at some point? Probably Stormbreath.

Lost 1/2 to Esper Thoughtseize control, including losing turn 0 to Thoughtseize game 3, then super-losing to his turn 2 Thoughtseize. Then getting hit by 2 more. As it turns out, yeah, Sphinx's Revelation is also kinda broken.

Beat my own Rakdos Aggro my friend was playing 2/1. Should have been 2/0 but I couldn't find a kill spell in like 12 cards to deal with Madcap'd Exava.

Lost 1/2 to Bant devotion something something. They were all really good games, and game 3 if I had found a single kill spell at any point for about 10 turns I would have won. I had only used 2 and had something like 9 left in my deck, but all I could find was land for like 8 turns and he eventually overloaded Cyclonic Rift which I couldn't come back from in time, even with the 14 lands I had.

Either way, I got my 4th Pain Seer, and boy is he a good-looking one. They're definitely some serious value in Rakdos Aggro.

Then I played modern. I traded for my 2nd Master of Waves today so I threw together Bleu Moon. I didn't really get to play against any real decks, so who knows if it's actually good? I did manage to lose to Tron in the for-fun games after we split.

2/0 vs bad Affinity. She couldn't keep a guy alive, and my double-batterskulled Etched Champion (Shackles :getin:) did pretty well. Game 2 I got mana screwed hard and almost died to a Darksteel Juggernaut. I actually ended up having to blow both Vandalblasts I started with on spot removal instead of overloading. She ended up at 3 life before her Juggernaut finally got big enough that I couldn't block with Batterskull and she found her Etched Champion that could safely block my Germ. Eventually I found my 2nd Batterskull and dropped a Blood Moon the next turn so she couldn't animate her land to chump block the 2nd Skull.

Edit: Now that I think about it I accidentally cheated by blocking her Etched Champion with my Germy Batterskull. It didn't end up mattering, but I do kinda feel bad about it.

2/1 :sigh: vs. RB Vampire Tribal thing. He knew he was going to lose, as it's a deck he just threw together and added the red part that day. Game 1 he never stood a chance but took me forever to win because he had enough removal that keeping my Batterskull on something was really hard (plus I forgot that I could bounce it and get a new Germ.) Game 2 I kept 1 land,2 Vapor Snag, Spell Snare, Snappy, Remand, and don't draw land number 2 for 5 turns. I just couldn't find a useful card that whole game, and ended up dying to his 5/5 vampire that got 2 +1/+1 counters every time it hit me. Game 3 was a repeat of game 1 except even worse for him. I removed/countered 5 creatures by turn 4 and dropped a turn 5 Batterskull, which got a few hits in before he found removal and I got to spend another 10 minutes stopping him from doing anything because again, I forgot the whole bounce Batterskull thing.

Round 3 I split with RG Tron and lost both for fun games. Somehow. The 2nd one I would have won except he said about Spellskiting my Batterskull equip, which stopped me from equipping my 2nd Batterskull to my Vendilion Clique for lethal. Turns out Equipping doesn't work that way. Also turns out facing down 4 Wurmcoils is pretty much always a losing proposition. But it's just as well; I really didn't feel like playing a 3rd game. My god, I have no idea how someone could play 10 rounds with that deck.

My packs had the same garbage they've had all week, with highlights being Karametra and Chromanticore. :toot:

ScarletBrother posted:

One gives packs only, the other gives packs only and buys them back at $2.something per.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 2, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MSRP for Boosters for stores is 2 bucks a pack, which is what they'll buy them from you for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So, game day part two. Still playing dredge, though I tweaked it a little from yesterday after how much trouble double Banisher Priest gave me. Mainly adding Bile Blight, though I did add a second Dark Betrayal to the board.

I end up playing mono-black three times, BWR aggro once, and RG monsters once (which made me sad, since I'd dropped the Doom Blades from the sideboard). But I managed to get through only dropping three games to get that playmat. And pulled a Brimaz in my prize packs, making me definitely EV-positive over the weekend.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Once again, Ash gets his rear end kicked by Gary.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
My friends just started a pauper standard league and I am totally nuts for it. I built 2 tier one decks for ~16.00 shipped and have had a ton of fun playing with them.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
I placed top 8 with my Phenax mill deck.

Round 1 was Rakdos Minotaurs - went 2-0, walls saved my butt as they kept blocking the bigger minotaurs he kept playing. I eventually milled him out using jace MA.

Round 2 was Maze's End Turbofog - went 2-0 as well, pretty much mill kills this deck

Round 3 was Orzhov Midrange - went 2-1, it was mostly luck on my side. He destroyed me on game 1 with brimaz and archangel of thune. Game 2 I was able to put some walls, weirds, and demons down and milled to win once I got phenax out. Game 3 he got mana screwed, sat on 4 mana for a few turns, with 2 of his Fate Unravelers pinging me for 2 every time I draw. He got me down to 3 life, and was about to win if I hadn't went all in and swung with everything.

Round 4 was Gruul Monsters - went 1-2, wasn't expecting this to be a hard match up for mill, but it loving did. It also didn't help that my deck refused to give me my mill spells and removal. Games 1 & 2 he was able to ult Domri. Jesus... But on game 2 I was able to have a Consuming Aberration out that held his only monster, Polukranos, at bay until I top-decked a Crypt Incursion and Jace MA. Game 3 I got mana hosed so hard I lost on turn 5.

Round 5 was Gruul Monsters again - 2-0, this time around, it was like Magical Christmas land for me as my deck gave me all the good poo poo on every turn. I milled him so hard on both games, that it felt like I wasn't facing against the same deck I played against on Round 4.

The next few rounds was for the top 8 people, where this time around everyone's competing for the play mat. I faced the same guy again on Round 5 during the first round of this bracket. This time around, he came with a vengeance as he pumped his scooze to unmanageable levels and killed me game 1. Game 2 I thought I was safe when I had two walls out, then bam - Mistcutter for 6! My deck refused to give me any downfalls and far // aways during the duration of that game.

All in all, it was a fun game day. Was not expecting to get far as I did with this deck. The deck still has problems, mainly lack of card draw. I'll probably tweak it and play with it for this Friday.

Maybe this deck has potential...

Monsieur Mango fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 2, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Meant to post this here not brewhouse. Whoops.

Game Day Recap:

MurderGoats! I went 3 and 1, losing only to the number 1 player and his two, nut draws in his mono red rush deck. Even after sideboarding in basically all the direct removal in my sideboard. The sideboard was kind of ham-fisted together at the last minute based on what I had around. Mostly I sideboarded in the extra bile blood when needed.

Highlights:

1. I play at a pretty casual game shop but the crowd is different different days, so everyone's faces when they saw the rock lobster/paper tiger/scissors lizard trick for picking whose going first was amazing. I am going to bring ~7 sets of them in my trade binder.

2. Beating someone with the trading posts I bought off him earlier in the day.

3. Everyone also loved the deck gimmick.

4. Opening a Xenagod with my winnings.

Special thanks to the peeps who traded me all the cards to make the deck work at next to last minute. (None are goons afaik).

How did you find read the bones? I think I may add some in my deck as some draw capacity in my murdergoats build.

Samael fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 2, 2014

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
1 Read the Bones was one of the first cards I tried to cut when sideboarding, because a single read the bones was typically sufficient every game... and because once I was considering casting the second, every life point mattered on both sides of the board.

Turn 2 Pyro, turn 3 read the bones was really strong every game I was able to do it.

One thing I noticed about my deck was that it was generally safe to keep a 2 land hand, especially on the draw. And a single read the bones in hand on top of all the 2 drops and burn I was playing definitely kept me going.

In general I love read the bones and think it is probably the best common in theros.

Edit: To the person considering toying with bile blight, bile blight is >>> boros reckoner.

Meatbag Esq. fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 2, 2014

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeahh my gamestore blows. 5 dollar entry to FNMS and only 1 pack per player in prizes, no store credit options, if you try to sell off your packs he gets upset. Drafts are $15 and yet again 1 prize per entrant.

To be fair, he has every right to be upset if you're selling the same sealed product as his business does on his premises, especially if you're selling them for less than he charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Time for a Game-day review! I played in two events, going 4-0 in the first one to get a playmat and 1st place, and 3-1-1 in the second to get a 5th place finish, and a few packs.

I played this Mono-B aggro deck featuring Nighthowler and Agent of the Fates. Only notable change is that I cut the 2 Underworld Connections from the sideboard to make room for 2x Slaughter Games (gently caress yeah!)

Lands:

4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mutavault
11 Swamp

// 23 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Grey Merchant

// 22 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Gift of Orzhova
1x Whip of erebos

// 15 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
3x Bile Blight
4x Dreadbore
4x Mizzium Mortars
2x Slaughter Games

// 15 Total

R1 vs Izzet: Win 2-0

My first match was against a guy who had been playing Magic for approximately a month and a half, so his deck was just a collection of his favourite cards in his two favourite colours (Red and Blue.) I beat him 2-0 and then helped him with his deck building. I gave him advice on what cards would help out his deck, and which cards he should move to the sideboard. Then I gave him about $10 worth of Red/Blue cards to help his deck out. (Mizzium mortars, a couple creatures, counterflux, etc etc) I told him that he could keep the cards as long as he promised to have as much fun as possible! :3

R2 vs Mono-G Hydras: Win 2-0

My opponent was running ramp into hydras, featuring Gyre Sage's and Kalonian Hydra's. Game 1 he didn't hit any mana dorks and by the time he started dropping creatures I had an Agent of fates on board, and removal in hand.

Game 2 he had 2 gyre sages and a kalonian hydra, which he followed up with a bow of nylea. He doubled his counters on the hydra and the gyre sages twice. I survived a swing from his 18/18 hydra and his two 5/6 Gyre sages and dropped a grey merchant for exactsies. Afterwards we discussed splashing blue in his deck for Prophet of Kruphix, which he agreed sounded cool as heck!

R3 vs Azorius Control: Win 2-1

I ended up losing game 1 in this match, which left me a little bit worried. I lost G1 to aetherling beats.

Sideboard: Out 3x Gift of Orzhova, 3x Nighthowler. In: 2x Duress, 2x Slaughter Games. 2x Dreadbore.

G2: I get a great aggro hand of T1 tormented hero, T2 Mutavault and tormented hero. And just start swinging. By the time he drops a Verdict he's at two life which is just fine for me to cast a grey merchant.

G3: I Thoughtseize my opponent on T3 seeing a D-Sphere and an aetherling. I have him pitch the aetherling and then slam Slaughter Games T4 naming Detention Sphere. T5 I drop a pack rat and go to town, and that is all she wrote.

R4 vs SelenyAggro: Win 2-1

G1: I swing into opponents empty board with Agent of Fates, Tormented hero, and Mutavault. Opponent flashes in Advent of the Wurm. I let it resolve, and before declare blockers I eye gouge my Agent of fates for the heroic trigger. My opponent simply says "oh, now I get your deck."

Sideboard in: Dreadbore and MIzzium Mortars. Side out: thoughtseize

G2: Opponent ramps into big Garruk, Elspeth, and Courser + Archangel of Thune. I do not have the removal to handle half of that, let alone all of that.

G3: Eye Gouge opponents mana dorks, bestow night howler and gift of orzhova onto agent of fates. Kill everything, win game.

So that won me a playmate! After that I went to the other FLGS in my city and played a slightly larger event, that was 5 rounds.

R1 vs White Weenie: Lose 0-2

Game 1: I keep a hand that has 3 lands, hero, agent, whip, gary. I lose on T14 with 3 lands in play and a hand that contains Whip and Grey Merchant x3.

Side out: Thoughtseize. Side in: Mizzium mortars

G2: I unwisely keep a 1-lander and get punished for it.

R2 vs Nobody because I got a bye: win 2-0

I drink a weird Brony themed energy drink that my local comic shop owner stocks for some reason. It tastes like pure diabetes. I would not recommend it.

R3 vs Boros Burn: win 2-0

Opponent is running main deck Skullcrack which is unpleasant for my Grey Merchants and Herald of Torment wearing a Gift of Orzhova. Luckily he swings in with mutavaults because he was not expecting me to run main board Eye Gouge. Opponent remarks "Okay he gets -1/-1 and he's a cyclops hahaha that's clever!"

Side out: 4x thoughtseize. Side in: 2x duress 2x Bile Blight.

Game two starts with me Duress-ing a Chandra out of my opponents hand, and seeing a searing blood which I spend the next few turns playing around. I end up drawing a clutch her's downfall when I need it, and just swinging away with a Grey Merchant wearing a Gift of Orzhova.

R4 vs Azorius Control: Win 2-0

My opponent plays really aggressively with his control deck. Swinging in with mutavaults, aggressively countering most of my creatures, etc etc. Game 1 I run him out of counters and verdicts and azorius charms and D-spheres and I eventually just slow-roll a grey merchant and some mutavault beats.

Side out: 3x gift of orzhova 3x nighthowler. Side in: 2x duress, 2x Slaughter Games, 2x Dreadbore, 2x Bile Blight (run 62 cards whatever)

In this game My opponent hits his elixir, and starts chaining Jace's to dig for whatever he wants. He casts ALL of the revelations, but makes one key mistake. he casts an aetherling but only leaves one mana up for the blink. So at the end of his turn I am able to remove it with an eye gouge off of an agent of fates and a hero's downfall. Opponent board wipes in response, drops an Elspeth and +1's her so he has a pile of blockers for my board of: mutavault. Luckily opponent is tapped out and at 4 life, so I untap, activate mutavault, bestow Herald of torment onto mutavault, and go overtop for the victory. Feels good man.

R5 vs R/G monsters: since we didn't have a shot at the playmate we just intentionally drew so we'd both Top 8

We played it out anyway, and I lost in 3.

All in all: worth it.

• Locked thread