Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Dvsilverwing posted:

It bothers me when people say this, because past a certain distance you'll just get a dink. It's not always an OHK.

Edit: Also you say that as if it's hard to get 2 headshots or a headshot and a body hit or two with an SMG, with their fire rate that's just a single burst at the head area and it happens fast.

Not to say it's not a legitimate strategy, though, cause it totally is.

The problem is that a headshot and a body hit won't kill someone with vesthelm with an SMG. I'd rather have a p250 than a bizon after a second round win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
What's the refire rate on the P250? I want to know how many MAC-10 or UMP bullets I'm filling you with in that window.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

VeryGames popularized that round two eco strat a while ago. Basically you can p250 armor, which works well against an smg anti-eco because it'll take them like 3 bullets to the head to kill you and you 2 bullets to kill them. Also you can still fullbuy (kinda) on round 4 regardless of what happens. Of course now that everyone knows that this is coming anti ecos are going to be rifles (sometimes shotguns /autoshotguns???)

AK 2shot/3shot bursts can definitely be made consistent with some practice. 3 shot bursts are harder though so start out with 2 shot bursts for now.

If you assume the other team is using the "you won the pistol round" strategy in that post it's an incredibly terrible idea. Honestly it's just such a great way to make SURE you're totally moneyfucked if you lose again. I'd never do this unless I knew I was playing against a much worse team.

disclaimer: i can't dink heads with pistols for poo poo

arnbiguous fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 2, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Theresa Frontpage posted:

If you assume the other team is using the "you won the pistol round" strategy in that post it's an incredibly terrible idea. Honestly it's just such a great way to make SURE you're totally moneyfucked if you lose again. I'd never do this unless I knew I was playing against a much worse team.
You're buying on round 4 regardless if you p250+armor or you full save round 2. It makes no sense to not do it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

What's the refire rate on the P250? I want to know how many MAC-10 or UMP bullets I'm filling you with in that window.
0 because I'm shooting you from a mile away and you can't effectively counter.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 2, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Best 1.6 clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkYmVWdxVE

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

mcvey posted:

Someone should make a 'CS economy W5s of buying' flowchart.

I actually made a decent guide earlier on in the thread.

Daeno posted:

Warning! Effort post approaches!

STARTING ROUNDS

Pistol round: Wide variety of builds here, some buy chest armour, some buy kits and grenades, others buy dualies or whatever their favourite pistol is. There's not really much of an advantage buying another pistol on the first round, some people are just more comfortable with other guns. There's certain situations where it helps, but as a new player I would just mix in a grenade or two, or get some chest armour. Getting used to using the starting pistol is an important skill toi have.

2nd round winning side: Usually winning side players buy whatever cheap mop-up gun they favour, so except to see SMG's and shotguns here. Lately some losing sides have been grabbing full armour and armour peircing pistols such as the P250 and the five-seven, so at higher skill levels you should mix in some cheap armour piercing AR(assault rifle) such as a galil or famas. Put one at each site.

2nd round losing side: Never buy nothing, always buy atleast a P250. A P250 can one-shot headshot a player will full armour at close range, same with a five-seven, but that is more expensive and only CT-side. Sometimes you should mix in full armour with your P250 buys, as this can catch a full-smg/shotgun team off-guard, severely money-loving them.

3rd round: There are more scenarios that can occur here, such as if the winning round 1 team lost round 2, etc etc, but usually the 3rd round is similar to round 2, in that the losing team of rounds 1 & 2 have to save again, so they can afford a full buy on round 4. Be careful though, if the Terrorist team planted the bomb in rounds 1 or 2, they can usually afford a full buy of AK + Armour, even if they lost both rounds.

NORMAL MID GAME & LATE GAME ROUNDS

NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN THESE ROUNDS WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR TEAM'S MONEY FIRST

Full Money buys: Typically you see 3 weapons, AK, M4/M4A1-S, and AWP. This is because the 2 main rifles have the best value for their cost for each side, as far as accuracy, shooting power, etc. And the AWP of course for it's one shot one kill power. Most other purchases are considered gimmicks, but some players really feel better with an AUG, or like to use an autosniper for example. The bad part about relying on vanity weapons is that they are more expensive, if you are spending another 500 or 1000$ on a rifle that you feel more in tune with, in the long game you'll have a round or two where you can't afford a rifle, because of that AUG or SIG(lol) purchase you made earlier in the game. This is why I always buy an AK or M4A1-S, simply the best bang for your buck, and you'll have more money in the future.

As for the AWP, since it costs almost double than a typical rifle, be mindful of your money when you purchase it, as powerful as it is, it could leave you broke next round, when your teammates are full buying and you have to get a pistol+armour just to keep up.

Half buys/Watch your team: Usually if one player on your team has a massive amount of money and other players are broke, he/she should be buying weapons for teammates, but when you can't buy out for all teammates, or if a couple teammates saved weapons from last round, you should communicate as a team and decide if some players should force buy a pistol + armour, or galil/famas + armour. Knowing when to do this is tricky, but becomes more clear with experience.

Eco Rounds:Rounds where almost all of you are broke. Similar to starting round 2, but usually you have more money to play with. If you are CT side, make sure atleast 1 player on each bombsite has bought a kit. Always Always Always atleast buy a P250. If you get the jump on someone with a P250, you should be able to kill them, thus earning you a free gun. Mix in some grenades if you can afford them and still full buy next round.

Grenades: Grenades are essential and you should be forcing yourself to buy them and use them, even if you are terrible with them, as you will get better with time. Just don't blind your teammates. Smoke grenades are amazing in CS:GO, especially compared to the smokes in source and 1.6. Two smoke grenades thrown by 2 players defending a bombsite can lock it down for most of the round. Similarly, smoke grenades thrown by attacking players can section off parts of bombsites, making them much much easier to take. For example, smoking off CT spawn when taking A site from Long A on dust 2 makes life much easier for T's, as you won't get sniped from there, and pushing the remaining players in A site is way easier.

Flash grenades are also must-buys, and knowing when/where to use them is somewhat of an art. There are many video guides on youtube on where best to use them, as well as other grenades, so I would look up those for references, watching better players use them on GO TV or spectating in a Goonman helps too. Force yourself to use them when taking sites, defending after the enemy has flashed, etc. You will get better.

As for HE, Decoy and Fire Grenades, they aren't as good. HE grenades are almost as good as Flash and Smoke, but their use is sometimes map dependant. Decoy grenades are cute, and distracting, but most good players won't be fooled. Molotov/Fire Grenades are pretty much a more expensive smoke grenade, locking down an area for a period of time.

Hope that helps a little with knowing what and when to purchase things. Communication is key, your money is not your own, treat it as a pool of team money and always buy atleast a P250.

edit: snarkiness removed, wasn't funny

Daeno fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 2, 2014

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

I have more wins than you do and I'm a silver elite master. What am I doing wrong? I never deranked or anything, I was just always stuck in silver.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Cowabanga posted:

I have more wins than you do and I'm a silver elite master. What am I doing wrong? I never deranked or anything, I was just always stuck in silver.

I have half that amount of wins and probably the same amount of losses and am a gold nova 3. It really is a mystery how the ranking system works.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Not really. We don't know specifically what Valve's algorithm is, but Elo rating systems aren't exactly black magic.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just buy a p90 every round. Even pistol round.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mimetic posted:

Not really. We don't know specifically what Valve's algorithm is, but Elo rating systems aren't exactly black magic.

If I were Valve and were looking for a way to measure skill in CS, I'd think reasons to raise/lower your MMR after a match are: Average DMG per Round, KDA, Total Cash, did you win or did you lose, et cetera.

All of this, btw, is accessible in the demo or while you're dead in the match by pressing that last weapon button to bring up the charts.

They do stuff like this in DotA and even gave away one of their magic tricks for measuring game balance a month or two ago iirc.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

http://youtu.be/eXoHE-JZlu0

Case closed.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

* note that the contents of this video are only applicable to Drinkfist

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

:sweep:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO29-7RoF7g

if only blingedoutcars and HLSS could come to CS:GO :allears:

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.

Jeoh posted:

best strat I saw yesterday in goonmans was nova/armor every round

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Jeoh posted:

This reminds me: why does the MAC-10 rock so hard while the MP9... is the MP9?

MAC-10: Sick headshots, controllable, $1050
MP9: Inaccurate, always reloading, $1250

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

This reminds me: why does the MAC-10 rock so hard while the MP9... is the MP9?

MAC-10: Sick headshots, controllable, $1050
MP9: Inaccurate, always reloading, $1250

Why would you buy a gun for 1200 that isn't an UMP?

Both the MAC10 and the MP9 are only useful for demoralization strats.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The MP9 is a hilariously effective point blank weapon though because of how fast it fires the bullets. I ran over 4 Ts once in lower b tunnels on Dust II on a save round in like half a second.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The rate of fire combined with the reload speed and relative accuracy while running and firing entire magazines is loving hilarious

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Buy five seven or tec-9 pistol round. Buy sawed off or mag-7 and armor every other round. Run and gun forever.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why is the subtle colors of the Sergeant Famas and the Corporal UMP so sexy :allears:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Cowabanga posted:

You lose to silvers, Prostitude does not.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Love Stole the Day posted:

If I were Valve and were looking for a way to measure skill in CS, I'd think reasons to raise/lower your MMR after a match are: Average DMG per Round, KDA, Total Cash, did you win or did you lose, et cetera.

All of this, btw, is accessible in the demo or while you're dead in the match by pressing that last weapon button to bring up the charts.

They do stuff like this in DotA and even gave away one of their magic tricks for measuring game balance a month or two ago iirc.

Let's be glad you're not Valve, then, because basing MMR off of things other than winning and losing is generally a terrible idea.

They don't do stuff like this in Dota. They do use extra measures in Dota to detect smurf accounts, but once an account has been calibrated it no longer uses anything other than winning and losing.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Hed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO29-7RoF7g

if only blingedoutcars and HLSS could come to CS:GO :allears:

I use HLSS for CS:GO, it works fine.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Had fun playing with the (silver?) goons last night as well as a fun goonman on cache involving way to many novas.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm truly sorry you got demoted playing with me, Beach. :downs:

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.

henne posted:

Had fun playing with the (silver?) goons last night as well as a fun goonman on cache involving way to many novas.

nova/armor rush mid: new meta

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I need to solo queue a lot and get my rank back up like 3 slots where it used to be.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Drinkfist posted:

Why would you buy a gun for 1200 that isn't an UMP?

Both the MAC10 and the MP9 are only useful for demoralization strats.

Pub casual games. I roll UMP and Tec-9. UMP only so I dont have to pickup someone elses poo poo after I tec them in the face. God I love that stupid gun.

Iriquois posted:

Did my first goonman today. Despite being terrible, never having played the map and having ping spikes of over 300 everyone was pretty patient with me. It was more fun than MM and radically different being on a team that talked.

On a separate note I did a few MM games after turning my sensitivity down, playing more cautiously to compensate for generally slower reactions. It made a huge difference to mid range accuracy and I am totally converted. Now i just need a huge mousepad.

Big as you can get sir.

Xtrac Ripper XXL!

Mouse now Naga 2014
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless 2000.

Actually. I semi wish Id of bought another standard Ripper XL. But I was all YOLO#SWAG and bought the giant one. I do love it. Even if it takes up over 1/2 of one of those rubbermade 8 foot folding tables.

And before I'm asked. No my keyboard does not sit on it. I actually lap my keyboard due to old habits in the lan days of the early 2000s. Back when our 21 inch CRTs took up 85% of the table top and we had no room after our giant mouse pads for Q3A! So it was lap keyboard of try and squeeze it on the table.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2014

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Those are some adorbs feetsies.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Xenaero posted:

Those are some adorbs feetsies.

Its so weird having my feet in a photo. Im a shoe nazi, Always wearing shoes or house slippers or something.

Thanks for the compliment cutie :)

Chuggles
Mar 2, 2013

Cowabanga posted:

The idea behind ELO matchmaking is (from what I can tell): if you're playing better than your rank, the enemy team is more likely to have players playing worse than their rank than players on your team (5 possibilities instead of 4), so over a large number of games, you will win more. However, this doesn't always happen, and you might have a losing spree even if you're better than your rank suggests because you just get unlucky with the team. The same works if you're worse than your rank
Correct me if I'm wrong though

So either you're unlucky or playing at a silver level I guess? :shrug:

Chuggles fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 3, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Welp I just learned that killing a bot so he won't feed the SSG he just bought to the counter terrorists counts as a tk and grants a 30 minute ban :v:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

NTT posted:

Welp I just learned that killing a bot so he won't feed the SSG he just bought to the counter terrorists counts as a tk and grants a 30 minute ban :v:

Hahahaha, don't kill him in spawn or within XX amount of seconds after round starts.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh my god casual is a horrible dickworld and I don't want to live here :c

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
Oh and yesterday my triggerbot setting was a bit off and I did this: http://gfycat.com/KeenAdvancedIbis

sorry carl :blush:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Cowabanga posted:

ELO has nothing to do with the total number of wins you have. It only cares about who you are winning/losing/tying against.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Oh and yesterday my triggerbot setting was a bit off and I did this: http://gfycat.com/KeenAdvancedIbis

sorry carl :blush:

this looks like all the evidence required for a permaban from the server in this troper's opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm still really new and bad at this game but so far everyone has been helpful in the Goon games and I guess I can only get better :3:

• Locked thread