Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I just watched the premier today. I think this is going to be a great season.

Beauty and Brawn are great. I hope that Brains will continue to implode as the two flakes, the actual crazy person, and the 130lb chess master who keeps saying poo poo like "EXCUSE ME, ARE WE HAVING AN OPEN FORUM DISCUSSION" begin to eat each other alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Trout posted:

Looks like the spyshack mastermind is being proactive on Twitter. I don't follow him or anything and he found and replied to this tweet of mine:

Tony's awesome, I hope his high spirits in that tweet mean he's going far in the competition.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Huge Liability posted:

I just watched the premier today. I think this is going to be a great season.

Beauty and Brawn are great. I hope that Brains will continue to implode as the two flakes, the actual crazy person, and the 130lb chess master who keeps saying poo poo like "EXCUSE ME, ARE WE HAVING AN OPEN FORUM DISCUSSION" begin to eat each other alive.

I can't help but to think of Sleepingbuddha now. The prospect of living near where J'Tia works is poo poo scary.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Ghostpilot posted:

I can't help but to think of Sleepingbuddha now. The prospect of living near where J'Tia works is poo poo scary.

I appreciate the concern. Maybe she wins and quits her job?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
She's already dodged two bullets (one of 'em had her name on it), so I feel as though I shouldn't count her out.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nerd alert - I used to be part of a renaissance faire group (GREAT way to meet hot nerdy girls btw) and like half of my group were engineers.

And while they're certainly not as drat crazy as J'tia, I instantly recognized that sheer look of disbelief when her shelter fell apart. Engineers work in VERY specific circumstances and are ludicrously great at what they do - but god help them if they have to leave that comfort zone. I don't know how many times I heard variations of "But it worked on paper!" while sets, routines, and plans disintegrated.

So yeah, not surprised to see J'tia lose her everloving drat mind. And as spectacular a trainwreck as Brains has been, its pretty clear Survivor stacked the deck against them. All three groups have some arbitrary casting, but people who are societally defined as beautiful generally are in great shape too.

Of course, I think Alexis is the only girl I find attractive, so I'm clearly on the outskirts this go-around. I also find the two younger girls on the Brawn team good looking too, but I'm also way outside Survivor's target demo.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Shakugan posted:

I don't think this is the case. Go to a decent university, look at the doctoral students and pick people who seem relatively normal and likeable. You're essentially guaranteed to get a group of incredibly smart (and capable), but likeable people.

But that's just finding upper crust type smart people. There's been a fair amount of those people on, and they're usually incredibly boring contestants. Or occasionally elitist creeps.

In keeping with the stereotype season they definitely wanted awkward nerds. At the same time if you're a nerd you should be smart enough to look at the history of this show and realize your biggest competition isn't other players. It's your nerdy self and you had better find a way to sublimate it before the show kicks off.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

Narcissus1916 posted:

And as spectacular a trainwreck as Brains has been, its pretty clear Survivor stacked the deck against them. All three groups have some arbitrary casting, but people who are societally defined as beautiful generally are in great shape too.
I agree the deck was stacked against the Brains tribe. As you said, both the Brawn and Beauty tribes are going to have athletic people, which helps them in the challenges. The Brains tribe was worse off, having less-athletic members, while not having anything going in their favor as a counterweight. Being brainy and strategic is useful for an individual in Survivor, but isn't so useful in the inter-tribal challenges in the beginning of the game.

They tried to even things out by having puzzle elements in the challenges. (After all these years, they still haven't figured out that puzzles just don't film well and most of the time aren't any fun for the audience to watch. :( ) On paper, the puzzles are supposed to be in the Brains' favor. If that were true, the Brains would probably have the advantage, since in the past most time on a challenge is consumed by the puzzle part.

The reality is that there isn't much connection between intelligence and performing well on the puzzles. Being good at Survivor puzzles is more like its own skill. The Survivor contestants most known for being good at the puzzles are Boston Rob and Ozzy, neither of whom would've been assigned to the Brains tribe based on their bios when they first played. In the bios, LJ (of the Beauty tribe) professed to being a puzzle whiz, and so far it looks like he was telling the truth. And that's pretty much all it takes to knock out the Brains' advantage in that area, if they ever had one to begin with.

An athletic tribe with at least one person who's good at puzzles is going to have a huge edge in Survivor challenges. A "Brawn" tribe or a "Beauty" tribe can easily fit that description. A "Brains" tribe, not so likely. Brains coming in last place in the challenges is exactly what we should expect. If they ever do the BBB theme again in the future, they really need to rethink this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Puzzle is one of those words that when you say it out loud over and over sounds bizarre and then you stop being able to pronounce it properly. Go ahead, try it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Didn't get a chance to watch the premiere till today... wow. This season has the potential to be a total gameplay trainwreck, and I love it.

Tony is totally my new favourite Survivor lunatic. Spyshack indeed.

I can't help but feel bad for Spencer, the luck element of Survivor is kicking his rear end hardcore. Getting stuck on a tribe with that collection of dunces is just painful. He seems modestly competent, keeps quiet, tries not to get mixed up in the crazy, cracks funny one liners during the vote. I hope he somehow wriggles out of this.

Still can't believe Poker Macklemore with an idol went before the rice-dumping lunatic. Only on Survivor.

Even though we hardly saw him I think Woo-Tang Clan coupled with all the Ric Flair references before the season started makes me want to root for Woo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyRiwED7s8

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

Puzzle is one of those words that when you say it out loud over and over sounds bizarre and then you stop being able to pronounce it properly. Go ahead, try it.

How about "bag of puzzle pieces?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

James315 posted:

They tried to even things cheap out by having puzzle elements in the challenges.

Corrected for contemporary Survivor.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

James315 posted:

I agree the deck was stacked against the Brains tribe. As you said, both the Brawn and Beauty tribes are going to have athletic people, which helps them in the challenges. The Brains tribe was worse off, having less-athletic members, while not having anything going in their favor as a counterweight. Being brainy and strategic is useful for an individual in Survivor, but isn't so useful in the inter-tribal challenges in the beginning of the game.

They tried to even things out by having puzzle elements in the challenges. (After all these years, they still haven't figured out that puzzles just don't film well and most of the time aren't any fun for the audience to watch. :( ) On paper, the puzzles are supposed to be in the Brains' favor. If that were true, the Brains would probably have the advantage, since in the past most time on a challenge is consumed by the puzzle part.

The reality is that there isn't much connection between intelligence and performing well on the puzzles. Being good at Survivor puzzles is more like its own skill. The Survivor contestants most known for being good at the puzzles are Boston Rob and Ozzy, neither of whom would've been assigned to the Brains tribe based on their bios when they first played. In the bios, LJ (of the Beauty tribe) professed to being a puzzle whiz, and so far it looks like he was telling the truth. And that's pretty much all it takes to knock out the Brains' advantage in that area, if they ever had one to begin with.

An athletic tribe with at least one person who's good at puzzles is going to have a huge edge in Survivor challenges. A "Brawn" tribe or a "Beauty" tribe can easily fit that description. A "Brains" tribe, not so likely. Brains coming in last place in the challenges is exactly what we should expect. If they ever do the BBB theme again in the future, they really need to rethink this.

You make a very good point. I think the brains tribe, at least, a theoretical actually smart one, could also perform decently on challenges with more sections requiring organization and strategic distribution of resources/skills or reliance on communication. Like those ones where you have to guide blindfolded people. This brains tribe did do well in the challenge where they had to move the chests underwater. The beauty tribe, though markedly more athletic, totally sucked at it. If there were more stuff like that, where figuring out an easy way to do something can give you a big advantage, as opposed to just puzzles, it would reward a smarter tribe.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I honestly wouldnt say the Brains were really that far behind in athleticism compared to the other two. Garrett and David werent exactly built like Cochran. Spencer kinda is but his bio says he was captain of his high school track team. There only major anchor is J'Tia, which is why no matter how poorly David and Garrett were playing the early game they really should have voted her out first. Then again the only reason she wasnt the first was because of how terrible those 2 were playing, but Spencer and Kass didnt really seem to try very hard (that we saw) to steer them towards the only sensible vote.

If I had to give a score of 1-10 of the starting tribes athleticism I'd probably give Brawn a 9, Beauty an 8 and Brains a 7.5. I'd give Brawn a 10 but I really dont know how strong nasty dreadlock woman on brawns is.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 2, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spiky Ooze posted:

But that's just finding upper crust type smart people. There's been a fair amount of those people on, and they're usually incredibly boring contestants. Or occasionally elitist creeps.

In keeping with the stereotype season they definitely wanted awkward nerds. At the same time if you're a nerd you should be smart enough to look at the history of this show and realize your biggest competition isn't other players. It's your nerdy self and you had better find a way to sublimate it before the show kicks off.
According to Probst, the season was already cast when one of the producers noticed that the Survivors could be split up into 3 arbitrarily themed tribes. They did not specifically cast for "awkward nerds". The only casting stereotype they look for is people who are telegenic.

David Samson is not a nerd, and has completed an Ironman. Brice seems like more of a nerd than David.
J'tia has been a model so could have been placed on the Beauty tribe if they needed another person.
Lindsay is a hairstylist so could have gone on Beauty, maybe. She's tough but doesn't seem particularly brawny.
LJ could easily be on a Brawn tribe.

The interesting social experiment of this season is that once you define or label people, they start to believe it and change their behaviour to fit the description.
The Brains fell apart so fast because some of them started thinking about their end game instead of "what do I need to do right now to stay in the game for 3 more days?"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 2, 2014

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

DurosKlav posted:

I honestly wouldnt say the Brains were really that far behind in athleticism compared to the other two. Garrett and David werent exactly built like Cochran. Spencer kinda is but his bio says he was captain of his high school track team. There only major anchor is J'Tia, which is why no matter how poorly David and Garrett were playing the early game they really should have voted her out first. Then again the only reason she wasnt the first was because of how terrible those 2 were playing, but Spencer and Kass didnt really seem to try very hard (that we saw) to steer them towards the only sensible vote.

If I had to give a score of 1-10 of the starting tribes athleticism I'd probably give Brawn a 9, Beauty an 8 and Brains a 7.5. I'd give Brawn a 10 but I really dont know how strong nasty dreadlock woman on brawns is.
The disparity isn't as big as it could've been. Apparently they didn't originally cast with BBB in mind, but only divided them up that way later. If they do a BBB season in the future and cast more deliberately for it, Brains could be at an even bigger disadvantage.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

James315 posted:

The disparity isn't as big as it could've been. Apparently they didn't originally cast with BBB in mind, but only divided them up that way later. If they do a BBB season in the future and cast more deliberately for it, Brains could be at an even bigger disadvantage.

I honestly wasnt aware that they didnt cast it with the gimmick in mind.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
should have put attorney Brad Culpepper on the Brains tribe imo

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

The interesting social experiment of this season is that once you define or label people, they start to believe it and change their behaviour to fit the description.

This reminds me of one of the girls on the Beauty saying something along the lines of "Nobody expected the Beauty tribe to make a shelter. Nobody expected the Beauty tribe to make fire" when in reality nobody was thinking that except for the people on the Beauty tribe.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Is that the same girl whose amazing undergraduate education in psychology will give her a game-breaking edge? :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not enough love for:

"But why am I the one who isn't working?!"

"I don't know."

Also, Tony has a really weird desperation to him. "I'm all you have and you're all I have" is crazy talk.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Saw this on twitter and now I can't un-see it

https://twitter.com/sungkang/status/439759596828114944

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

This is the season for celebrity lookalikes. Poker Macklemore is gone, but we've still got Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame.

Oh and Spencer kind of reminds me of Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Holy poo poo. This season had so much promise in the first 30 minutes and now I don't know what to think. Hopefully it will coalesce and get better but holy hell, these people are horrible so far. I mean really, I'm finding it difficult to like _anyone_. Spencer seems like he might be alright. But after ep 1 I'm reduced to just rooting for gratuitous shots of Morgan's boobs at this point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seemway too early to tell how most of the players and people are. Spencer could be ok but he also give a me hints of the kind of guy I'll hate an Bgrifter will love. Most of the Brawn seem to be alright and Sarah seemed to have her head in the game. And I didn't get a huge vibe from most of the. Beauties beside Brice. Once Beauty has a little more conflict we'll get to know them better. There was just too much crazy in the first episode to get to know the seemingly normal ones.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
whoops- that was meant to be in the game of thrones thread.....what the heck...

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 5, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Spencer is absolutely right up my alley. Looking at his pregame interviews I was worried he'd just be an obnoxious rear end on the beach. Fortunately it seems like he's hitting all the right notes being savvy with his gameplay and saving all the villainous stuff for confessionals. He's in a lousy spot and should be one of the next couple boots, but if he can wriggle out of the corner he's in I expect big things from him. I could see him being sort of an evil Cochran.

It's rather refreshing to see someone getting that right. A good villain isn't the sort that talks poo poo and causes trouble in camp. A good villain manipulates and plays the hell out of the game with a smile to everyone's faces while sticking the knife in their back with zingers in confessionals. People forget Fairplay was rather well liked by most of the other players on Survivor Pearl Islands until they got home and watched the season.

If anyone was on the fence I highly recommend listening to Survivor Know-it-Alls and Rob's podcast with Aras. Both were very entertaining. It's good to have Stephen back and Aras seems to click well with Rob on the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BGrifter posted:

Yeah Spencer is absolutely right up my alley. Looking at his pregame interviews I was worried he'd just be an obnoxious rear end on the beach. Fortunately it seems like he's hitting all the right notes being savvy with his gameplay and saving all the villainous stuff for confessionals. He's in a lousy spot and should be one of the next couple boots, but if he can wriggle out of the corner he's in I expect big things from him. I could see him being sort of an evil Cochran.

It's rather refreshing to see someone getting that right. A good villain isn't the sort that talks poo poo and causes trouble in camp. A good villain manipulates and plays the hell out of the game with a smile to everyone's faces while sticking the knife in their back with zingers in confessionals. People forget Fairplay was rather well liked by most of the other players on Survivor Pearl Islands until they got home and watched the season.

If anyone was on the fence I highly recommend listening to Survivor Know-it-Alls and Rob's podcast with Aras. Both were very entertaining. It's good to have Stephen back and Aras seems to click well with Rob on the show.

He's like a Cochran from a parallel Universe where everyone is evil.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

The Lord Bude posted:

He's like a Cochran from a parallel Universe where everyone is evil.

So Cochran from South Pacific?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bjay9 posted:

So Cochran from South Pacific?

He isn't that adorable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

whoops- that was meant to be in the game of thrones thread.....what the heck...

Ned Stark would be hilarious on Survivor.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

He'd be the first one out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Only after he told everyone what he was going to do strategically.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Professor Shark posted:

Ned Stark would be hilarious on Survivor.

#blindside

edit: wait, I can do better

Screwed it up a bit. I'm not so hot with making gifs.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 5, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh, god. Game of Thrones Survivor is such an amazing concept I'm amazed a neckbeard from Sucks hasn't milked it to death by now.

Tribe Lannisport wins all the early challenges. It's frustrating for them because they really want to vote Tyrion out.

Tribe Dragonstone begins by voting out Jon Arryn, the old cocksucker who takes an early leadership role. Robert Baratheon goes next, as he is fat and useless in challenges. Arya is automatically eliminated for straight up disappearing into the woods, leading to Ned's blindside after he subtly threatens Joffrey for being blond.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Ned makes it to the merge, then goes right up to Cersei and tells her he'll be blindsiding her tonight with the help of Littlefinger. Then he goes to Littlefinger and says that he won't be taking Littlefinger to the final three with him, but vote his way anyway.

Ned is deeply surprised to be voted out that night.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Ned makes it to the merge, then goes right up to Cersei and tells her he'll be blindsiding her tonight with the help of Littlefinger. Then he goes to Littlefinger and says that he won't be taking Littlefinger to the final three with him, but vote his way anyway.

Ned is deeply surprised to be voted out that night.

So basically Garrett is Ned.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo you guys I'm watching Micronesia and the girls just got Erik to give up his immunity so they could boot him off. This is the most hilarious booting I've ever seen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Despairity posted:

Holy poo poo you guys I'm watching Micronesia and the girls just got Erik to give up his immunity so they could boot him off. This is the most hilarious booting I've ever seen.

Best season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

Best season.

I think I have 5 blindsides in a row :allears:

• Locked thread