Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Glory of Arioch posted:

Makes sense; sigmas are terrible. You can trust them for reliable advice on two things: goats, and getting banned for RMT.

I am deeply offended, sir! Sigma squad is the best squad. Come fight me IRL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

A covops is better for scouting because it's cheaper, and sometimes a scout needs to use probes.

[Hound, CovertCynoTackle]
Co-Processor II
Co-Processor II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor II
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

Covert Cynosural Field Generator I
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Expanded Probe Launcher II, Sisters Combat Scanner Probe
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I
Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I

This is better in every way than a covops frigate. A covops frigate trying to fit like this (of which only the anathema can manage it, while I can run a similar fit on any bomber) will have a slightly higher probe strength (which will probably only matter trying to probe out frigates, recons and link t3s). The bomber can lock instantly on decloak rather than with a 5 second delay. The isk difference is ~5m at most. The hound and purifier can run a normal cyno instead of a covert cyno if they want.

In short, unless you need extremely high probe strength to hit hard-to-probe ships (in which case you want probing modules and possibly implants) or are trying to probe out high-end PVE sites, a bomber will do a better job.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you like the sound of bombers, go ahead and train into them. Even if you find out that you hate them or they get changed/nerfed, most of the skills you spend aren't going to be wasted. Getting Frigate V will also put you into all the other T2 frigates, for instance, which is worth it just for interceptors. Torpedoes aren't great, but the basic missile skills will be useable elsewhere (like with interceptors again!), etc.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWgD-j8Jjbc&t=15s

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Oh boy dumb pubbie poo poo in video format. Thanks bud!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine just convinced me to re-up into this saying that it's actually fun again. And it does look interesting but I honestly have no freaking clue what I'm doing anymore (not that I really ever did), I have three characters and no idea what any of them used to do or can do. Am I still eligible to apply for goonswarm or a goon organization? There's the chance that I have made perfectly unusable characters that may have tons of skill points in such useless skills that a new player is more effective but I would really like to get better.

VVV I actually applied a little after posting this, the last I remembered was that sometimes the organization wasn't actively recruiting so I just wanted to ask to make sure. Also apparently I have applied back when I joined Word of Lowtax for MWO, so I need to either reset that password or get the original account deleted. Do I post for that here?

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 2, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I sure wish I could read the OP and the wealth of information it supplies to me, a goon.

6.8x43mm
Mar 15, 2009

Booley posted:

You're better off scouting in a bomber anyways. Covops frigs suck for anything but PVE probing.

youre amazingly wrong. a well skilled covops alt to provide warpins is godly in pvp.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh boy dumb pubbie poo poo in video format. Thanks bud!

Sorry mi amigo I forgot this thread was cfcthought talk only :allears:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I liked the pasta syndicate ad he starred in better

(Is he an actual Eve player?)

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
No, you pay him $x and he'll read anything you want with an image of your choice on the screen.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
^^^^^

Slashrat posted:

I liked the pasta syndicate ad he starred in better

(Is he an actual Eve player?)

http://www.fiverr.com/greatgigsguy3

Total cost was $10 iirc + it had to be edited to conform to CCP's ad rules.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Make your own zero-effort eve ad today! People will appreciate your ironic lack of cleverness or humor. They definitely won't say that it's the exact same joke as last year only worse. :rolleyes:

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Booley posted:

You're better off scouting in a bomber anyways. Covops frigs suck for anything but PVE probing.

Unless you are a wormholer. You will want the bonuses to probing when you want to scan a system fast. Specially if you need to do it repeatedly.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Klyith posted:

Make your own zero-effort eve ad today! People will appreciate your ironic lack of cleverness or humor. They definitely won't say that it's the exact same joke as last year only worse. :rolleyes:

Yeah you're right.

A much funnier and more ironic joke would be posting on SA about people using tired old jokes. God forbid a Goon ever used a joke repeatedly until it wasn't funny anymore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, I have the new job, and start in a week.

Someone sell me on coming back, because I just had a flashback to all the times cruising around in a fleet for two hours, and failing to find any fights while idiots parrot dead memes.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So let me get this straight, please ensure I am not missing anything.

Unfunny bitter EVE player posts zero effort ad about thing and gets flustered when people call thing unfunny. Unfunny bitter EVE player then accuses the somethingawfuldotcom EVE thread of being slightly biased towards the viewpoint held by the CFC, a coalition principally lead by Goonswarm Federation, which is lead by a corp based from somethingawfuldotcom. Proceed to have a slapfight on previously mention forum thread.

:allears:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Is anyone else getting "This socket is closed" immediately after they try to log into a character?

e: Nevermind, something's hosed with my router, but not hosed enough that I can't browse the internet and notice.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 2, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

Is anyone else getting "This socket is closed" immediately after they try to log into a character?

e: Nevermind, something's hosed with my router, but not hosed enough that I can't browse the internet and notice.

I'm getting the same thing. Unless you are stealing my wifi, its EVE.

edit: because apparently this game is conspiring against me to cause me to default on a bunch of margin trades. :woop:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Potentially another DDoS attack on EVE?

e: Or :ccp:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

darth cookie posted:

I'm getting the same thing. Unless you are stealing my wifi, its EVE.

edit: because apparently this game is conspiring against me to cause me to default on a bunch of margin trades. :woop:

Actually, it turned out that my router problems were only a coincidence. :cripes:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

Actually, it turned out that my router problems were only a coincidence. :cripes:

Stop stealing my wifi. :colbert:

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
Zixie Draco, signature designer of my heart.

Hopefully people, who asks for a signature of yours, showers you in isk.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leo Showers posted:

So let me get this straight, please ensure I am not missing anything.
You're missing that the community the ad is for is basically clone-goonfleet. If eve was a Civ game, zulusquad would be a chunk of the map that flipped to our cultural hegemony.

I'm not sure whether that makes the unfunny ad + slapfight ironically humorous, or just sad, like a kid desperate for an abusive dad's approval. :(

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 2, 2014

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

The Leper Colon V posted:

Well, I have the new job, and start in a week.

Someone sell me on coming back, because I just had a flashback to all the times cruising around in a fleet for two hours, and failing to find any fights while idiots parrot dead memes.

Yep, nothing's changed. Unless you PVE it's still 2 hours of jumping or sitting around waiting for 30 seconds of "excitement". But hey, if you're on comms it's cheap entertainment (if your standards are low).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been doing match recaps for the NEO II if you haven't had the chance to keep up with NEO II.

http://themittani.com/news/new-eden-open-ii-day-1

Klyith posted:

The NEO ads I made for EVE-Bet, Waffles and PL were great though :colbert:

Even though CCP tried to shoot down one of the ads.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kheldragar posted:

Yeah its not the router, this is day 2 of the problem for me,I can browse the EVE-O forums and see the socket closed thread but when I try to post in it the thing times out. Lot of people in jabber were saying restarting pc fixed it at least temporarily but that hasnt worked for me. Launcher just bugs out and turns black and launching from the .exe just gets me a double socket closed error.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Klyith posted:

You're missing that the community the ad is for is basically clone-goonfleet. If eve was a Civ game, zulusquad would be a chunk of the map that flipped to our cultural hegemony.

I'm not sure whether that makes the unfunny ad + slapfight ironically humorous, or just sad, like a kid desperate for an abusive dad's approval. :(

That makes sense now, I really had no idea what zulu squad is/was until now anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Yep, nothing's changed. Unless you PVE it's still 2 hours of jumping or sitting around waiting for 30 seconds of "excitement". But hey, if you're on comms it's cheap entertainment (if your standards are low).
Well, that's kind of disappointing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, that's kind of disappointing.

The alternative to fleet pvp or pve is small gang pvp.

I have successfully gone out with 2-3 of my friends most nights this week and welped in faction warfare, we even got a kill once. Did I mention we aren't good at pvp? Sure fleets suck, but there are other pvp options for all skill levels.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The alternative to fleet pvp or pve is small gang pvp.

I have successfully gone out with 2-3 of my friends most nights this week and welped in faction warfare, we even got a kill once. Did I mention we aren't good at pvp? Sure fleets suck, but there are other pvp options for all skill levels.
Go on? (About small-gang PVP, I mean.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I mean, like I said, me and my friends are absolutely awful. Like I think none of us have remembered to overheat during combat yet. However, we can successfully troll around for even worse players, and then all die in a fire when we want to go be done.

Basically, gangs of any size can reliably find fights in faction warfare space. Once you have a critical mass of skills or ships, small gang warfare is also really viable in select areas of 0.0. Heck, even ganking in high sec is basically a small gang pvp affair.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hm... How are Amarr these days? When I last played, they were awful, which was disappointing.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

I've had a lot of fun and gotten my first few solo kills trolling for lowsec belt ratters in a cheap talwar the last few nights. There's some decently active space like 4 jumps from our staging system too so you're never too far away.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Hm... How are Amarr these days? When I last played, they were awful, which was disappointing.

Still awful, still worth flying anyway because :pcgaming:

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

I and a few friends go once a month or so from Fountain specifically in to the Gallente FW zone for fights. More often than not we'll lose a ship or 2 but you get some fantastic pvp, especially inside the novice and small plex where you're limited by the ships you can take in. Naturally this also involved bringing in FW alts too and having them scoop up the LP, it'd be rude not to :smuggo:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Due to the dominance of kinetic-resist heavy doctrines, Amarr is making a comeback in mid to large sized fleets.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Tim Jong-un posted:

Yeah its not the router, this is day 2 of the problem for me,I can browse the EVE-O forums and see the socket closed thread but when I try to post in it the thing times out. Lot of people in jabber were saying restarting pc fixed it at least temporarily but that hasnt worked for me. Launcher just bugs out and turns black and launching from the .exe just gets me a double socket closed error.

The causes of the "socket is closed" error are obscure. For a week, one of my characters disconnected after 15 minutes logged in, like clockwork. As in, one of the four accounts I had running at the same time. Always the same one, the others never got it.

Try and wrap your mind around that, and then give up the way :ccp: did.

Edited for case sensitive smiley.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

6.8x43mm posted:

youre amazingly wrong. a well skilled covops alt to provide warpins is godly in pvp.

Which is exactly what I said. A probe launcher equipped bomber can do the exact same thing as a covops frig, probing just as fast if well skilled, with the added bonus of actually being able to tackle things before they warp off if you probe someone out who's all alone.

Amberskin posted:

Unless you are a wormholer. You will want the bonuses to probing when you want to scan a system fast. Specially if you need to do it repeatedly.

Yeah, but then you want to be loaded up on the various scanning modules as well, taking you completely away from the realm of combat probing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Maneck posted:

The causes of the "socket is closed" error are obscure. For a week, one of my characters disconnected after 15 minutes logged in, like clockwork. As in, one of the four accounts I had running at the same time. Always the same one, the others never got it.

Try and wrap your mind around that, and then give up the way :ccp: did.

Edited for case sensitive smiley.

Yesterday for most of the day I was able to log into my Jita alt but unable to log onto my main on the same account in Fountain. Today I can get on neither. :negative:

• Locked thread