Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Proto Cloud posted:

Yeah, I liked Isabeau a lot, she's a fun little character that I could only imagine would be a total dork in another life. It's kind of funny she's enjoying what seems to be a run-of-the-mill manga.
Well, considering all the little plot details she references, the manga she's reading is likely Rose of Versailles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Yeah, looks about the right amount of generic. The Jane Austen of anime.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Adding to the odd characterizations on the endgame it was really dissapointing how Lucifer was your run of the mill demonic overlord, without nothing of the ambiguity and charisma than made him so interesting on the previous entries of the series (the generic desgin didn't help either)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Adding to the odd characterizations on the endgame it was really dissapointing how Lucifer was your run of the mill demonic overlord, without nothing of the ambiguity and charisma than made him so interesting on the previous entries of the series (the generic desgin didn't help either)

Chaos route spoilers: You got to admit that the one schoolgirl in the game being just Lucifer in disguise was pretty funny. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh that poo poo's absolutely hysterical and when I heard he was that, I knew the game's version of him could never live up to that reveal.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
There's supposedly going to be a limited edition 3DSXL released in Japan bundled with Persona Q. Guess I know what I'll be spending money on later this year.

Here's the source. Relevant Translation is roughly "Information about a limited edition design 3DSLL Set has been announced."

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

There's supposedly going to be a limited edition 3DSXL released in Japan bundled with Persona Q. Guess I know what I'll be spending money on later this year.

Here's the source. Relevant Translation is roughly "Information about a limited edition design 3DSLL Set has been announced."

It's been mentioned a couple of places now. Maybe not here since when that was announced we had just gotten our own Persona 5 Arena DanceQ announcements. Too bad it's probably not going to make it over like the SMT IV one.

There's also supposed to be a poster they're keeping under wraps until closer to release.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, what did you expect that would happen after having witnessed the unadulterated can of :black101: that the Demi-Fiend unleashed? Dude needed to start stepping up his game, too bad he was still kind of rusty; if anything, it makes sense.

vvvv drat straight! Oscar :qq:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 1, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Proto Cloud posted:

Yeah, looks about the right amount of generic. The Jane Austen of anime.

That's quite possibly the worst description of Rose of Versailles I have ever heard. Wow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Devil Survivor:

Abel. A bel :aaaaa:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Dehry posted:

It's been announced with a trailer. Devil Survivor 2 Break Record will be released on July 11, 2013 Fall 2013 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xf_P6OAKw8

Has anyone identified the constellation on the cover yet? Offhand, it looks like the Winter Triangle, but I don't have much knowledge in that area.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wark Say posted:

Well, what did you expect that would happen after having witnessed the unadulterated can of :black101: that the Demi-Fiend unleashed? Dude needed to start stepping up his game, too bad he was still kind of rusty; if anything, it makes sense.
Maybe But old Lucifer wasn't petty (or at least he hid it very well), a graceful loser and his arguments made kind of sense. SMT IV was a straight up maniac than goes on kill mode when things doesn't go his way and you can't really accept than he got a point on his rants

You could say than I miss the fact than before either faction had something to go for it when in SMTIV they made pretty clear than Neutral is the only good one.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Maybe But old Lucifer wasn't petty (or at least he hid it very well), a graceful loser and his arguments made kind of sense. SMT IV was a straight up maniac than goes on kill mode when things doesn't go his way and you can't really accept than he got a point on his rants

You could say than I miss the fact than before either faction had something to go for it when in SMTIV they made pretty clear than Neutral is the only good one.

Lucifer's never really been that friendly to those who oppose him. See SMT1's Neutral/Law paths, where he sends you off to get murdered by Beelzebub.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
See, and I found Isabeau to be a much stronger character in the Law and Chaos routes, where she makes the decision to stand for her beliefs and fight against you. I was really looking forward to Neutral so I saved it for last, but then Isabeau is basically sitting there waiting for Flynn to lead her around, waiting for Fujiwara to tell her what to think, and cheerleading for Flynn throughout the whole Champion business.

Maybe if they'd done more with the implied romantic attraction between the two things would have felt different, but we can't have mainline SMT heroes emoting or communicating much.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Weren't the first two Mega Tens pretty clear about Law and Chaos being both totally evil and Neutral being the only good option? It wasn't until like Nocturne where the series started to paint Lucifer as a morally grey character trying to stop YVWH's dickery.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

Weren't the first two Mega Tens pretty clear about Law and Chaos being both totally evil and Neutral being the only good option? It wasn't until like Nocturne where the series started to paint Lucifer as a morally grey character trying to stop YVWH's dickery.

Is been a while since I last played but I seem to remember than SMT2 started the trend of YVWH being a colossal rear end in a top hat with Lucifer being a freedom fighter of sorts

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Absolutely. I do find it really hilarious just how poo poo keeps backfiring right on his face. I'd like to imagine that, after a while, even in Nocturne he started to lose a lot of his mojo with the demon crowd when they realized that this young buck walking around in shorts was basically where it's at. Hell, doesn't Beelzebub end up joining you right after you defeat him in SMTI?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Wark Say posted:

Hell, doesn't Beelzebub end up joining you right after you defeat him in SMTI?

Nope. He only joins you if you're on the Chaos path, and he does that without a fight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Accordion Man posted:

Literally every SMT game paints Chaos and Law as absolutely lovely sides. Lucifer is also not painted as anything resembling a reasonable or nice guy in any game except maybe Raidou 2 where he's pretty affable and even he's responsible for stuff to some extent. He always makes a point of saying something along the lines of "I don't really care about humanity, but I'm not going to abandon you like HE did." Which of course makes Lucifer comes across as very prideful and arrogant, since he's basically insinuating he's saving humans. SMTIV is legitimately the first SMT game that says god isn't an outright piece of poo poo unlike the previous games and the angels are acting by themselves, but even the Ancient of Days DLC basically has God say to everyone in Blasted Tokyo, "I'm going to wipe every one of you from the face of the Earth."

It's why I love SMTIV's neutral ending so much, because it's the only Neutral ending where the main character, his remaining allies, and even his sentient gear all give one unified finger to every alignment, even the White, who Burroughs outright tells to gently caress off. Them Masakado splits open the dome as all of humanity gets to see daylight once again. SMT games are very unambiguous about what is and isn't the good side.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Saigyouji posted:

Nope. He only joins you if you're on the Chaos path, and he does that without a fight.

The only big downside to the Chaos route, 'cause you miss out on the hardest and best boss fight in the game.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Not that SMTI was that hard overall. Its difficulty was more the Bard's Tale kind where you could run into 8 enemies at once right off the bat when it's just you and a Pixie, but then just autobattle the entire game once you're built up to a certain reasonable level.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One thing I think is silly about the SMT games I have played so far is that the demons on the main character's are non-entities. I mean in Devil Survivor I was kinda dissapointed that putting Yama and Keisuke together elicits no response from anyone.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Literally every SMT game paints Chaos and Law as absolutely lovely sides. Lucifer is also not painted as anything resembling a reasonable or nice guy in any game except maybe Raidou 2 where he's pretty affable and even he's responsible for stuff to some extent. He always makes a point of saying something along the lines of "I don't really care about humanity, but I'm not going to abandon you like HE did." Which of course makes Lucifer comes across as very prideful and arrogant, since he's basically insinuating he's saving humans. SMTIV is legitimately the first SMT game that says god isn't an outright piece of poo poo unlike the previous games and the angels are acting by themselves, but even the Ancient of Days DLC basically has God say to everyone in Blasted Tokyo, "I'm going to wipe every one of you from the face of the Earth."

It's why I love SMTIV's neutral ending so much, because it's the only Neutral ending where the main character, his remaining allies, and even his sentient gear all give one unified finger to every alignment, even the White, who Burroughs outright tells to gently caress off. Them Masakado splits open the dome as all of humanity gets to see daylight once again. SMT games are very unambiguous about what is and isn't the good side.

SMT is Japanese South Park.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Not that SMTI was that hard overall. Its difficulty was more the Bard's Tale kind where you could run into 8 enemies at once right off the bat when it's just you and a Pixie, but then just autobattle the entire game once you're built up to a certain reasonable level.

Don't forget about charm bullets. Once you get those there's really nothing that can stand in your way.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

He's shown as being generally pretty reasonable and even a source of guidance and advice in Nocturne as well. Though even then, he's still clearly using the demi-fiend as a tool to oppose god, even if he does show favor to the demi-fiend in the true demon and restoration endings.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

He's shown as being generally pretty reasonable and even a source of guidance and advice in Nocturne as well. Though even then, he's still clearly using the demi-fiend as a tool to oppose god, even if he does show favor to the demi-fiend in the true demon and restoration endings.

Isn't Lucifer shown as pretty reasonable in SMT2 as well? In the Chaos ending (IIRC), he congratulates you on helping the mutants underground and how they're no longer forced there, and they all thank you. Even on Neutral, he tells Aleph about how YHVH will destroy the humans and demons after beating him.

Lucifer in general seems to keep flip-flopping between reasonable and a huge rear end in a top hat in like every SMT game anyways. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's worth noting that Lucifer can be both. He's Lucifer. The dude can be hugely pro-freedom and also a tremendous rear end in a top hat about getting that freedom. That's sort of what Chaos is in a nutshell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's worth noting that Lucifer can be both. He's Lucifer. The dude can be hugely pro-freedom and also a tremendous rear end in a top hat about getting that freedom. That's sort of what Chaos is in a nutshell.
Not to mention the dude's the Father of All Lies. All we really have to go on with him in a lot of games is his word, and that isn't exactly worth much.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
good game series

f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 2, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is that a Persona 5 demon design? Weird!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is it a triple fusion between Mara, Belphegor and Orcus?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really liked SMT4 but yeah the endgame character progression (and the ending in general really) was just a bit, sudden. I did the Neutral path having already done most of the sidequests so it wasn't too bad, and I liked the worldbuilding and just how the world had become in general.

I liked how in the "good" ending, you're not even saving the world. You're just reclaiming it and it's unclear where things will go from there, but it's still a step up from the alternatives

MarsDragon posted:

SMTI is getting an iOS release in English on March 18th.

Is it anything resembling playable these days though?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is it anything resembling playable these days though?

I played it a couple of years ago and it was pretty alright. That said I did have the game on a nearly constant 1.5x speed in the emulator because god those old RPG's are slow.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Literally every SMT game paints Chaos and Law as absolutely lovely sides.

And this is what makes their storylines boring beyond belief. It's absolutely incredible how one can take a solid idea (the games are supposed to be about human choice) and then proceed to run it into the ground because of an ideological axe to grind (by pulling out all the stops so that only one choice is made to look valid).

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 2, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

And this is what makes their storylines boring beyond belief. It's absolutely incredible how one can take a fundamentally good idea (the power of human choice) and then proceed to run it into the ground because of an ideological axe to grind (by pulling out all the stops so that only one choice is made to look good).

Honestly, as much as a lot of other non-SMT RPGs with some grand moral choice try to make every one of them look acceptible, I've still never seen one where there isn't a clear best choice or neutral compromise that draws from the best of both worlds. I don't think that putting human choice into those grand stories about the fate of the world/universe is a fundamentally good idea at all, because based on all evidence so far, providing true and equal choices and outcomes is impossible, or at least so close to impossible that it isn't likely to happen any time soon.

I enjoy SMT's overall stories specifically because of how bleak and disastrous they make the extreme choices look. It's refreshing to have something which says "these characters and their ideals are blatantly poo poo, but you're free to choose them anyway", as opposed to the mass effect style where being naive and law-abiding or an impatient murderer are both portrayed as perfectly valid and often even more beneficial than trying to make informed choices. I especially like Nocturne's three Reasons because where there would normally be a Neutral choice, there is instead insane social isolation, and even the restoration ending is more about having doomed your world to eventually fade away (and getting cursed by God) rather than having found a reasonable middle ground. Aside from the True Demon End, it's one of the closest things I've seen to having real choice based on your own beliefs, because every one of the available options is fantastical and extreme and far from ideal.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 2, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I edited the post to change my wording to better express my intention.

It's not about making all choices equally "good", but at least make the ones that are deemed as "bad" by the silly writers something other than a caricature. I do not think that it is too much to ask, especially if one of the stated ideas behind the storylines is supporting player choice.

If anything, you technically agree with what I meant, since I would also accept an "all of these choices are really stupid and terrible" scenario.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 2, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought Devil Survivor 1 and 2 were pretty good about giving good points to most choices. 1 also implied that God wasn't the dick responsible for all the poo poo but rather his angels who had done this of their own initiative.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Painting Law / Chaos as fanatical is kinda the point. Pure chaos is asking for pure chaos and pure law wants pure law. They are literally YVHV (God in most cases) and Lucifer. If you're going to invoke those characters you cannot give them any driving forces except to go full left or full right.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The entire point of Lucifer coming off as reasonable in comparison to God is that he's the loving devil and swaying unknowing mortals to his cause with a silver tongue is as much a part of his traditional depiction as speaking as a voice from the heavens is for God.

The SMT games in which he's much more appealing are just ones in which he's better written and that generally have a more coherent narrative arc. SMTIV is kind of bad in that regard, so Lucifer is just evil mcbadguy waiting around for you to kill him at the end. Noctourne is thematically tighter than practically any other SMT game, and so Lucifer is woven into the story well, to the point that blowing up the universe and ushering in an endless demonic age is sold to the player pretty effectively. It's still a terrible idea, but boy howdy does the player want to do it anyway!

Just for once though, I'd like an SMT game in which the neutral ending is also the bad one, and where waffling around and basking in your own indecisive moral hubris results in far worse outcomes than an aligned path. Don't have the stones to make a real choice? Enjoy watching everything go to poo poo from your high horse, dickbag.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Just for once though, I'd like an SMT game in which the neutral ending is also the bad one, and where waffling around and basking in your own indecisive moral hubris results in far worse outcomes than an aligned path. Don't have the stones to make a real choice? Enjoy watching everything go to poo poo from your high horse, dickbag.

That's pretty much the Yuzu ending to Devil Survivor, honestly. Although I guess that one's more well I'm too much of a wuss to make a choice, so gently caress the world, I'm just going to ruin everything because I'm too scared and indecisive to do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fungah! posted:

That's pretty much the Yuzu ending to Devil Survivor, honestly. Although I guess that one's more well I'm too much of a wuss to make a choice, so gently caress the world, I'm just going to ruin everything because I'm too scared and indecisive to do anything else.

And then is made into a happy ending on Overclocked :livintrope:

(Man, I really wanted an excuse to use that emoticon)