Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
The perfect pixel poo poo is a scam FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

KKKLIP ART posted:

I just looked up the QNIX, and apparently you can get it on Amazon and Newegg. How does that work with any sort of perfect pixel things they might offer?

They're handled by third party sellers, and after you order you get a pretty long disclaimer e-mail from Korea, so I'm not sure if Amazon would actually do anything? They definitely don't make pixel perfect claims as far as I've seen, on Amazon, though mine has proved thus far.

Edit: I bought mine on Amazon, btw.

Malkar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 28, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

BrettRobb posted:

The perfect pixel poo poo is a scam FYI

How so? I'm not disputing your point; I just want to hear more.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

fookolt posted:

It only covers certain kinds of dead pixels and only if there's more than like two usually.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

fookolt posted:

I'm interested as well. I know the 'pixel perfect' branding typically means there can still be a few dead or stuck pixels, but is there any data showing better outcomes, as in: fewer dead pixels or less backlight bleeding, etc. for people who bought perfect pixel monitors? Or is there no difference in the delivered product?

I'm leaning towards the "it's a scam" camp, but it would be interesting to see some data.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They're no less likely to not have dead pixels. So they just discount it to the regular price if you in fact should receive one with dead pixels. Also, the dead pixels seem to be pretty rare, at least wit the PLS panels. What I'm seeing more of is backlight bleed and improper bezel fitment

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
How bad does running games at 1080p look on a 1440p Dell monitor? I'm thinking of buying one since I just got a job offer and thought I'd treat myself to something but my gpu is a gtx 770 and that can't run many games on max at 1440p.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BrettRobb posted:

They're no less likely to not have dead pixels. So they just discount it to the regular price if you in fact should receive one with dead pixels.
Pretty much this. Because of the costs involved in shipping the monitor back to Korea, them offering an actual return/replacement is almost unheard of. What they'll do is offer to refund some amount of money to you--usually something like $20/pixel, and even then it's only (usually) for bright pixels.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, I'm at best buy looking at an HP 25bw monitor. 25 inch 1080p IPS panel, gloss finish which is a plus for me. Anybody have any experience with this monitor?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 1, 2014

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

horchata posted:

How bad does running games at 1080p look on a 1440p Dell monitor? I'm thinking of buying one since I just got a job offer and thought I'd treat myself to something but my gpu is a gtx 770 and that can't run many games on max at 1440p.

I have a 670 gtx along with a 1440p monitor and most games run over 60 fps on high settings for me.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is there a difference between buying the monitor directly from the Dell website and buying it from Amazon? Amazon's prices are way cheaper and I'm thinking theres a downside to that.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

horchata posted:

Is there a difference between buying the monitor directly from the Dell website and buying it from Amazon? Amazon's prices are way cheaper and I'm thinking theres a downside to that.
Dell's website prices are almost always unreasonably high, so they're rarely a suitable place to shop for monitors.

There was a hubbub a while back about Amazon only having A00 and A01 revisions of the U2713HM that was plagued with issues like bleeding and crosshatching, but that's probably ancient history at this point.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

horchata posted:

Affects the 3 year ultrasharp warranty since amazon is 3rd party.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Coredump posted:

Affects the 3 year ultrasharp warranty since amazon is 3rd party.

No, it shouldn't.

quote:

Rest easy with a 3-year Limited Hardware Warranty and 3 years of Dell's Advanced Exchange Service.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So if you want to buy a 27" 1440 IPS or PLS monitor with a glossy finish, Korean is the only way to go? I'd love to buy an Ultrasharp, but I hate the coating on Dell monitors.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

CubanMissile posted:

So if you want to buy a 27" 1440 IPS or PLS monitor with a glossy finish, Korean is the only way to go? I'd love to buy an Ultrasharp, but I hate the coating on Dell monitors.

AFAIK the newer Asus 27" 1440p PLS line has light coating.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

CubanMissile posted:

Overbearing AG filters are be a thing of the past on most monitors these days.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ughhhhh I really need the U3415W to become available right now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zorilla posted:

Overbearing AG filters are be a thing of the past on most monitors these days.

This is a very good thing. I'd love it if gloss finish monitors would start getting a good deal more popular. Not everybody who uses an LCD works in a florescent-lit corporate office full of windows where it's noon all day long.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

This is a very good thing. I'd love it if gloss finish monitors would start getting a good deal more popular. Not everybody who uses an LCD works in a florescent-lit corporate office full of windows where it's noon all day long.
:confused: Gloss-finished monitors are quite popular/available in the consumer-space, though. You just don't see a ton of them in the UltraSharp and similar "professional" lineups because they're...aimed at professionals. Who usually sit in a florescent-lit corporate office full of windows (or at least obnoxiously placed lights) all day long.

The newer AG coatings from Dell et al have also seriously shrunk the visual quality difference between glossy and matte, further reducing the impetus to launch full-glossy pro-level monitors.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BrettRobb posted:

They're no less likely to not have dead pixels. So they just discount it to the regular price if you in fact should receive one with dead pixels. Also, the dead pixels seem to be pretty rare, at least wit the PLS panels. What I'm seeing more of is backlight bleed and improper bezel fitment

I have had a similar experience. I haven't noticed any dead pixels on mine, but certainly notable backlight bleed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well that's great that Amazon says that but Dell's website says the monitors have to be purchased directly from Dell, soooooo I dunno.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I would contact Amazon CS with that info and see what they say. If they tell you it's covered you have it in correspondence should you need it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I bought the HP ZR2440w on sale because it looked nice, had a good prad.de review, and generally positive online. Even though the pixels are perfect, and there's no backlight bleed, I would say it has pretty strong IPS glow.

But the part that is driving me insane is that I didn't realize pixel walk was a real thing (in the lagom.nl tests). My ancient Dell 2000FP IPS didn't shimmer/flicker on any of the patterns, but this one does really badly on 4b. In dark grey gradient areas you can see a shimmer if you look closely as well. It's almost like a flicker you can see out of the corner of your eyes, but it's not the backlight, it's the pixels themselves.

Also on the pixel walk test page, when I scroll up and down, the patterns display really strange color shifts, presumably some kind of overdrive or processing, but I have the 'overdrive' setting off (tried it on too).

In all, the display is gorgeous but the peculiarities of modern IPS stuff is very strange to me, coming from a stone age IPS (still works perfectly 14 years later, just getting kinda dim & yellow in the backlight). In a lot of ways it smells like a TN just with better viewing angles. It IS e-IPS I guess? Maybe that's the problem. I'll probably keep it, but maybe look into PLS next time.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 2, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Rescue Toaster posted:

I bought the HP ZR2440w on sale because it looked nice, had a good prad.de review, and generally positive online. Even though the pixels are perfect, and there's no backlight bleed, I would say it has pretty strong IPS glow.

But the part that is driving me insane is that I didn't realize pixel walk was a real thing (in the lagom.nl tests). My ancient Dell 2000FP IPS didn't shimmer/flicker on any of the patterns, but this one does really badly on 4b. In dark grey gradient areas you can see a shimmer if you look closely as well. It's almost like a flicker you can see out of the corner of your eyes, but it's not the backlight, it's the pixels themselves.

Also on the pixel walk test page, when I scroll up and down, the patterns display really strange color shifts, presumably some kind of overdrive or processing, but I have the 'overdrive' setting off (tried it on too).

In all, the display is gorgeous but the peculiarities of modern IPS stuff is very strange to me, coming from a stone age IPS (still works perfectly 14 years later, just getting kinda dim & yellow in the backlight). In a lot of ways it smells like a TN just with better viewing angles. It IS e-IPS I guess? Maybe that's the problem. I'll probably keep it, but maybe look into PLS next time.

I don't know if I'd call a ~3 year old monitor modern - this stuff gets better every year in one way or another.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nephilm posted:

this stuff gets better every year in one way or another.

The CRT guys wouldn't agree with you, and neither would the plasma guys, since Panasonic stopped making those too.

Plenty of old things outlast the poo poo out of modern gear with extreme cost cutting in mind.

I also personally think with say, the 27" Dells, I would have a U2711, but the newer ones don't have the same universal praise. I still like the U3011 too (but probably because I love the disappearing buttons on my U2410).

Another thing that hasn't necessarily helped is LED backlighting. There for power reasons, but not necessarily colour rendering reasons. CCFL was traditionally preferred. People have also complained of sensitivity to PWM dimming on LEDs. So newer is not always better.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 2, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

But the part that is driving me insane is that I didn't realize pixel walk was a real thing (in the lagom.nl tests).

That's the first time I've seen that effect, but I'd have to question the relevancy of such a test if you can go for years and years in front of a monitor without ever encountering it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

HalloKitty posted:

The CRT guys wouldn't agree with you, and neither would the plasma guys, since Panasonic stopped making those too.

Plenty of old things outlast the poo poo out of modern gear with extreme cost cutting in mind.

I also personally think with say, the 27" Dells, I would have a U2711, but the newer ones don't have the same universal praise. I still like the U3011 too (but probably because I love the disappearing buttons on my U2410).

Another thing that hasn't necessarily helped is LED backlighting. There for power reasons, but not necessarily colour rendering reasons. CCFL was traditionally preferred. People have also complained of sensitivity to PWM dimming on LEDs. So newer is not always better.

PWM dimming is being phased out :v:, I can see the flicker on CCFLs so that's an improvement, and the latter also turn yellow over time. You may have a case for iterations of a particular product/line, but overall poo poo is getting better.

Also, we could go on a long discussion about the merits of CRT and Plasma, but it's irrelevant since we're discussing the progression of a particular technology - don't bring up apples vs oranges.

PS. Newer light-AG coatings are merely passable; I wouldn't be able to stand the older dell models for everyday use.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Grim Up North posted:

That's the first time I've seen that effect, but I'd have to question the relevancy of such a test if you can go for years and years in front of a monitor without ever encountering it.

My point was my old Dell 2000FP had absolutely none. But every monitor I've tried it on now shows some. Something to do with it alternating the voltage in some pattern so that it doesn't burn in. I'm not sure why it didn't affect older displays but seems to be an issue now.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I'm just saying that this effect is not a problem in real life. Yes, my monitor shows it on pattern 2, but I haven't ever encountered it before.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nephilm posted:

PWM dimming is being phased out :v:, I can see the flicker on CCFLs so that's an improvement, and the latter also turn yellow over time. You may have a case for iterations of a particular product/line, but overall poo poo is getting better.

Also, we could go on a long discussion about the merits of CRT and Plasma, but it's irrelevant since we're discussing the progression of a particular technology - don't bring up apples vs oranges.

PS. Newer light-AG coatings are merely passable; I wouldn't be able to stand the older dell models for everyday use.

I used my FW900s far longer than I probably should have...at some point, the amazing black-levels + refresh rates for gaming stopped outweighing the razor sharp text I get on my U3011 when I've got piles and piles of code and projects open. Not having 3 giant CRTs on my desk anymore was also a plus (yes, I used to run three of the fuckers).

At this point, I'd just love the PPI train to keep marching on and delivering crisper and crisper resolutions to my display. I'd be OK with analog inputs getting phased out at this point as well; having component on my U3011 is nice and all, but now that I have my own place, I keep my old consoles hooked up out in the living room instead of all through my monitor. It'd probably result in some cost-savings for us as consumers.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
At this point, a CRT's black level is the only thing keeping me from throwing my FW900 out the window.

The text isn't razor LCD sharp but it's also by no means blurry. Refresh rates and lag are good enough to be a non-issue in monitors nowadays, and retina-display DPI is probably not far from the horizon for desktop displays. As soon as somebody figures out how to produce lightless, inky blacks on an LCD, the FW900 is hitting craigslist or the dumpster... but until then it's staying right where it is.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That, and it weighs like 200lbs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

BrettRobb posted:

That, and it weighs like 200lbs.

96 lbs, actually!

But that's a big cause for consideration when it's going to sit in one place for 99.7% of its entire life because... ?

I love that about LCD marketing, actually. "It's lighter, it uses less energy, the bezel is tiny! Oh and look at how thin we've made it from front to back! Wow just look at all the stuff we've done to this monitor that in literally no way enhances the actual experience of using it to see what's coming out of your video card. But it's better... just because!"

They can't actually make it better than CRT technology, but LCD is cheaper to produce so hey marketing guys, just tell people all the secondary poo poo actually matters and they'll eat it up.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it just as much as anybody else if they could come out with a CRT quality monitor in LCD form factor, but they haven't. I'm definitely looking forward to large desktop displays with retina-density DPI whenever those things start coming out though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 4, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GreatGreen posted:

96 lbs, actually!

But that's a big cause for consideration when it's going to sit in one place for 99.7% of its entire life because... ?
I had a desk that started to buckle after a couple years of having two CRTs on it.

GreatGreen posted:

I love that about LCD marketing, actually. "It's lighter, it uses less energy, the bezel is tiny! Look at how many ways we've improved this monitor that in literally no way improves the experience of using it to see what's coming out of your video card!"
You can fit it in a smaller space! It lowers your electric bill both by using less power and generating less heat! It's entirely digital just like the output from your loving video card! You can keep magnets around it! You never need to adjust your screen geometry!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I had a desk that started to buckle after a couple years of having two CRTs on it.

You can fit it in a smaller space! It lowers your electric bill both by using less power and generating less heat! It's entirely digital just like the output from your loving video card! You can keep magnets around it! You never need to adjust your screen geometry!

My desk with an FW900 on it hasn't budged in years.

And those marketing features you mentioned are exactly what I just talked about and only further my point. You know what does all those things you mentioned even better than your current monitor? An ipod nano! Just wire one of those up to your desktop as a monitor and you'll have the lightest, space-and-energy-savingest, coolest running monitor on the planet!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

You know what does all those things you mentioned even better than your current monitor? An ipod nano! Just wire one of those up to your desktop as a monitor and you'll have the lightest, space-and-energy-savingest, coolest running monitor on the planet!

The worst strawman right here.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

GreatGreen posted:

My desk with an FW900 on it hasn't budged in years.

And those marketing features you mentioned are exactly what I just talked about and only further my point. You know what does all those things you mentioned even better than your current monitor? An ipod nano! Just wire one of those up to your desktop and you'll have the lightest, energy-savingest, coolest running monitor on the planet!

What? How is having a bigger monitor that takes up less space the same as "an ipod nano!" exactly? Also you seem very angry at justifying your use of old technology. Grats on being better than the rest of us I guess? I'm sure your vacuum tubes hooked up to your LP's sound great too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ShaneB posted:

The worst strawman right here.
No, it's my fault for assuming that people would know I was talking about an LCD of equal or greater size and resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

They can't actually make it better than CRT technology, but LCD is cheaper to produce so hey marketing guys, just tell people all the secondary poo poo actually matters and they'll eat it up.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it just as much as anybody else if they could come out with a CRT quality monitor in LCD form factor, but they haven't. I'm definitely looking forward to large desktop displays with retina-density DPI whenever those things start coming out though.
About the only thing that LCD's haven't managed to eclipse CRTs on is black levels. Resolution, refresh rates, etc., have all caught up. Hell, you can even overclock IPS screens these days and get beautiful color at 96+Hz.

"all the secondary poo poo" actually does matter to a lot of people. I like having more than one monitor on my desk (which is swanky black glass--no way in hell I'd stuff hundreds of pounds of CRT on there). I think it's pretty cool to be able to put them on adjustable arms and not cook myself in the summer from the waste-heat, too, and in SoCal electricity runs 32c/kWh. There are a lot of reasons why the market dumped CRT's as soon as something better came along, and "hey they're cheaper to make!" sure as hell wasn't one of them for the first several years. Anyone else remember 19" 1024x768 LCDs costing $600+? I know I do.

As for retina DPI...you'll be waiting a long-rear end time for that, if you mean the 326DPI of the phones. Even a 24" 4k monitor is only ~180DPI, and video cards are going to struggle for years to do anything other than toss a simple desktop on it at that resolution. For reference, a ~320DPI 24" monitor would need to be 6720x3780, so good luck. Of course, since you're (hopefully) sitting more than the 10-12" away from the screen that the iPhone display was intended for, a much lower DPI should give similar visual clarity. If you mean the 220DPI of the retina MBP, then you'd be looking at a 20" 4k monitor. Either way, 4k is, of course, far and away a higher DPI at virtually any size than what's available on the FW900.

It's cool and all that you still rock a FW900, but let's not pretend that you're not just a niche case that basically no one else cares about.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 4, 2014