Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I picked up the X-Statics omnibus for 30 bucks. The thing is huge and I think it is really used for a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ have I had a day.

One of the things I love about my store is that we have thousands and thousands of $1 back issues. Pretty much anyone an find a book they like for $1, it's become quite a thing in the last two years and we've sold over 20,000 of them at $1.

So today we finished a restock, I put about 40 Spawn issues in the bins, all marked at a buck, along with about 1,000 other comics. A few hours later some guys are digging through the bins and one of them starts saying "WHAT THE gently caress? WHY ARE THESE A BUCK?" and is pulling the Spawns out. I walked over to quiet him down and this is what happened.

Me: What's the problem sir?
Him: Why the gently caress are all these Spawns only $1?
Me: All of our back issues are $1.
Him: Why? What makes these $1 comics (shakes one in my face)
Me: Nothing, that's just what we charge for back issues.
Him: So mine are only worth a buck each?
Me: No, that's just what we charge for them.
Him: So by charging a buck, you're making mine worth dick!
Me: Noooo, this is just what we charge on them.
Him: So this poo poo I've been buying for 20 years is worth FUCKALL now? That's loving great!
Me: That's not what it means and what your language, we've got kids in here.
Him: I'll say whatever the gently caress I want, don't think because I'm on crutches means I won't beat your rear end.

Yes, he was on crutches. Not for a broken leg, some sort of birth defect, I'm not sure. But he then steadied himself on the comics and lifted his crutch up into my face.

Me: Okay, now You can get out.
Him: gently caress YOU - Swings crutch at my head.

I dodged it and skipped back. I mean, I'm not about to fight a dude on crutches. He keeps advancing, calling me a pussy and poo poo, swinging one crutch, steadying the other, rinse and repeat. I darted behind the counter and he stands there, yelling "PUSSY" at me. I'm telling him to leave, he's swearing at me, his friend is just standing there stunned, as is every customer and employee in the store. So I reach for the phone and he swings quick enough and cracks me in the arm. Now I'm pissed off so I grabbed the crutch and held onto it while I dial the police. Now he starts flipping out, saying he's sorry, please don't call the cops, if they show up he'll say I attacked him etc. Numerous customers say they'll stick around and be witnesses so dude is hosed.

Cops show up, we file a report, you bet your rear end I'm pressing charges and they arrest him. As they take him away I say "Dude? Just so you know? Your Spawn comics aren't worth anything and you're going to jail for no reason. Hope you're happy." He starts yelling at the cops "SEE? HE PROVOKED ME!!!!!!"

COMIC SHOPS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Good thing he can sell his 20 year run of Spawn to make bail

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

At least my full run of Youngblood is still worth something.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Rhyno posted:

So the moral of the story today is that my Spawn books are really only worth $1... right??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that was MODAM because even Marvel wouldn't be insane enough to have two female versions of MODOK.

Not only did they have two female versions of MODOK, this also happened:

Baby MODOK!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sundowner posted:

So the moral of the story today is that my Spawn books are really only worth $1... right??

You should be so lucky.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rhyno posted:

COMIC SHOPS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Nobody tell him the comic book balloon busted last century, he might try and kill you. :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nobody tell him the comic book balloon busted last century, he might try and kill you. :(

If only there was a convenient guide to make sure we made the right investments.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Man I wish all my lovely comics were worth a dollar each. If I could find someone to pay that rate for all of them I'd cash the gently caress out of this dumb hobby.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Man I wish all my lovely comics were worth a dollar each. If I could find someone to pay that rate for all of them I'd cash the gently caress out of this dumb hobby.

I too long for this day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I look forward to stepping into the future with my literal thousands of digital comics that I will never be able to resell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could theoretically sell your entire account to someone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I wound up bundling up a bunch of mine into stacks of 25 and selling them for $5 a pile at a garage sale. It was about as much as I could hope to get for them anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I gave half my collection away to somebody that wanted it.

I like making sure my comics find a good home.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I gave half my collection away to somebody that wanted it.

I like making sure my comics find a good home.

That's the best thing to do. Especially if they aren't terrible and you give them to kids.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

That's the best thing to do. Especially if they aren't terrible and you give them to kids.

I used to frequently donate boxes of comics to the children's ward at a nearby hospital. They sent us a very nice and polite letter asking us to cease doing so because the comics were not appropriate for all ages. I still can't figure out if it was the Sonic the Hedgehogs or the Scooby Doos that caused the problem.

I still take a box of regular comics to the Youth Services Center (Teenager Jail) every few months though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I used to frequently donate boxes of comics to the children's ward at a nearby hospital. They sent us a very nice and polite letter asking us to cease doing so because the comics were not appropriate for all ages. I still can't figure out if it was the Sonic the Hedgehogs or the Scooby Doos that caused the problem.

I still take a box of regular comics to the Youth Services Center (Teenager Jail) every few months though.

That Sonic has a potty mouth.

He calls people lame-os.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Rhyno posted:

I always figured I'd donate them to a children's hospital but then figured I shouldn't since comics seem like they would be a good way to spread infections. I did find out that there is a youth emergency service shelter nearby so maybe I'll shoot them an email to see if they want them.

I remember reading somewhere that if you record the cover prices for every comic you donate you would be able to claim them as a donation on your taxes if you get a receipt. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I always figured I'd donate them to a children's hospital but then figured I shouldn't since comics seem like they would be a good way to spread infections. I did find out that there is a youth emergency service shelter nearby so maybe I'll shoot them an email to see if they want them.

I remember reading somewhere that if you record the cover prices for every comic you donate you would be able to claim them as a donation on your taxes if you get a receipt. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not though.

This is true of like clothing at Goodwill so it should apply to comics as long as you are donating to a registered nonprofit. Also you still have to exceed the standard deduction to claim the deduction. I should do that actually.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Even at a $4 cover price, if I was exceeding the standard deduction with donated comics I would seriously rethink my comics buying :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Taters posted:

Even at a $4 cover price, if I was exceeding the standard deduction with donated comics I would seriously rethink my comics buying :v:
Ditching a couple decades worth of collection might hit it. For a year.

But yeah, I'm just over the standard deduction on state taxes alone, so anything donated is gravy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is everyone aware that The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is getting a full-on Symphonic Rock concept album treatment by the lead dude of Nightwish, with full cooperation by Don Rosa? Well, it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCA96KBM3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, that's, er... okay.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, it really is an incredible story (the only real downfall to it is Rosa's decision that the Glittering Goldie stories not be part of it) but a rock opera? Huh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the guy from Nightwish has done a couple of songs about his appreciation for Donald Duck, but I'm pretty sure Nightwish are from Finland, so I guess it makes sense.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sometimes I forget I can look for things I want on eBay. In the last two weeks, I've bought two comics that have eluded me for years. I've never seen either of them in person, so when they showed up, it was cool that both were odd shapes and sizes compared to standard comics.

Vertical (a 2003 Vertigo one-shot) turned out to be a forgettable '60s period romance written by Steven Seagle, but Mike Allred's art with Laura's coloring is beautiful, as always. You can see it's half the width of a regular comic. The staples at the top, so it was meant to be read the extra-long way, from top to bottom.

Back in the mid-'80s, Marvel published magazine-sized Super Specials that were often adaptations of current films and other non-Marvel pop culture properties. This is Marvel Super Special #33, adapting the Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, a flawed movie that I love in spite of everything. It just arrived today, so I haven't read it yet. I've always heard the old novelization of the movie goes into all kinds of crazy detail beyond what made it into the final cut, so I'm hoping this does too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This is Marvel Super Special #33, adapting the Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, a flawed movie

You loving take that back!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I've always heard the old novelization of the movie goes into all kinds of crazy detail beyond what made it into the final cut, so I'm hoping this does too.

The guy who was commissioned to write the screenplay literally took years to do it, starting and abandoning a whole bunch of different stories about the characters. When he finally completed the version that became the film the other versions became backstories for all the characters, a lot of which he packed into the novelization.
It's a crazy loving film with a crazy loving genesis and I hope the comic lives up to your expectations. :)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

This is Marvel Super Special #33, adapting the Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, a perfect movie that I love in spite of everything.

I fixed that for you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Buckaroo Banzai rules, the novelization rules, all the various comics that have been put out over the years rule, and the RPG would have ruled but Gareth Skarka is general scum. Good purchase.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 4, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cafel posted:

You loving take that back!

Of course the movie is flawed.

It ended. :colbert:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This comic does not have Jeff Goldblum and his amazing pants on the cover, what a shame.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Buckaroo Banzai is an chemical laser aimed right at the brains of nerds.

It's not a great movie, but it sure has a lot of fun ideas and concepts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

I picked up the X-Statics omnibus for 30 bucks. The thing is huge and I think it is really used for a weapon.

I use my Secret war 2 Omnibus for that purpose.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I use my Secret war 2 Omnibus for that purpose.

Well, that's better than reading it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hey I read most of Secret Wars 2 when I was 8 or 9 and thought it wasn't that bad. Stop telling me my childhood memories are wrong!

Edit: Next you'll be telling me Ravage wasn't awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Len posted:

Edit: Next you'll be telling me Ravage wasn't awesome.

Speaking as a man whose copy of Ravage 2099 #1 was personally signed by Stan Lee when it came out (and who assured me that a Doctor Strange movie would be coming any time now), I have some bad news for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking as a man whose copy of Ravage 2099 #1 was personally signed by Stan Lee when it came out (and who assured me that a Doctor Strange movie would be coming any time now), I have some bad news for you.

I guess you have the right to give me that bad news. I did send you a copy of Marville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

For you western Washington goons, a friend of mine is hosting a screening of Legends of the Knight, the documentary about how Batman has inspired people, in Federal Way on April 9th. It'll be at he Starplex Cinemas Movie 8, the second run theatre just off I-5 across from The Commons. He's gotta sell 60 tickets for the movie to get played and it's also a fundraiser for the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, so bring all your friends. http://www.tugg.com/events/8322

• Locked thread