Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Things are progressing slowly. We bought a 24" vanity after seeing my sister's boyfriend's flip house that had the toilet very close to the "belly bowl" vanity, and since they are really shallow there are no issues sitting on toilet next to it. Here's a picture with them roughly in their final locations

Earlier in the week I ran power to the closet, wired an outlet, switch and light. I also added two recessed lights for the shower, and our exhaust fan.

We asked my sister's boyfriend for plumbing help, he's coming up the 16th. The goal of that day is to get the rough-ins complete so at least in terms of the walls upstairs there is nothing holding me back from continuing there. He'll come back some other time to do all the final connections down below so it will actually be working plumbing.

The weekend I hope to get some more work done:

- Frame the dividing wall between the closet and bathroom (was waiting on getting a vanity to see what it would look like).
- Run rough-in wiring for exhaust fan/shower lights and the vanity light
- Finally finish the ceiling (and then attic) insulation

I think that would be a reasonable goal for this weekend since I've gotten a headcold and now feel like a zombie.

E/N stuff you can skip over:

Things are going to get really crazy at work really fast. I'm a database developer for the local social services agency, they employ me, it's my full-time job. Our state is in trouble with the feds because we don't have one statewide database for children and youth services. My job here locally is to develop and manage a database to suit our county's needs, which has expanded to three other small counties as well.

In short, I'm one guy doing the work of a couple of people. I'm the support guy, the development guy, the goto meetings guy, the ad-hoc report guy, the state and federal reporting guy. The four similar systems are now pretty fragmented, and were developed (band aide fixes) for roughly 10 years now. The goal, last year, was to start over from scratch and develop a more modern, streamlined, non-fragmented database so all four county's could be using "the same thing". I would be finally be able to adopt an actual semi-professional development process with you know, testing, and periodic updates, etc.

So along comes the state as says "we need to build a state data system to make the feds happy", long story short we jump through hoops to appease the state and we end up with the plan to feed data from our collective databases (of which there are 8 different approved systems) to the state to act as the "one data system". Well, tl;dr it's supposed to "go live" in the next year, and they have yet to give us any concrete requirements, data elements, data exchange formats, nothing.

So potentially in the next 11 months I have a complete system redesign, incorporate major business-practice changes that are yet to be finalized, learn/develop/test/impliment these state data exchanges to my redesigned system that doesn't exist yet, come up with all the documentation and training information (as well as provide training, most likely), and plan data migration and rollouts for 4 counties. And throw in the middle there somewhere a federal audit that's not really related at all but a pretty big deal. In 11 months. By myself.

There is also a distinct possibility that we may not be able to meet some of the state requirements and they make us scrap our entire project of 10+ years and migrate to the only other real database system that basically 90% of the other counties are using. I'm not entirely sure what that would mean for me personally, I'd like to think my organization could find something else for me to do but I don't want to assume I'm not expendable.

The other possibility is that since this is a state project, there will be hugely massive delays, but they have a really good poker face on at the moment and are busting balls up to this point.

My immediate boss is taking steps to get me a helper, basically the position would be support / jr. developer, but even if that happened
that would be another enormous time sink for training/getting the person up to speed.

So you could say that I'm a bit stressed, and in the next few weeks/months things should really start to enter panic mode overdrive or even possibly "holy poo poo what am I going to do?" mode. I live in a pretty rural area and my skillset is quite specialized (the software I work in is unfortunately ubiquitous as Oracle/SQL) so getting a similar job around here is definitely a no go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dreesemonkey posted:

E/N stuff you can skip over:

Lots of :words:

That is crazy dude. :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Committing a cardinal sin here, I have an update but only like one picture. My sister's boyfriend (Tim) came up to help me out with starting the plumbing (i.e. do all the work while I fetch him tools) in our bedroom bath. A couple high points:

1. We acquired an extra 3" or so for the bathroom, doesn't sound like much but it will make a big difference. The middle wall in our home is a double 2x3 wall. We removed the one portion of this wall because it only has to span 4' and it's a 2x8 so no worries.
2. We were able to extend the existing drain plumbing from the previous vanity, we just bored holes through some studs and added a section new section of 1.5" pipe.
3. All the plumbing in the wall is done. The supplies for the vanity, toilet, and shower are all complete and pressurized as well as a pre-existing outdoor spigot. We ran copper because that's what was there, but in hindsight I probably should have contemplated switching to pex.

Here is the lone picture I snapped of the vanity supply lines and drain

Tim is awesome, he's very meticulous and doesn't just slop things together. All the lines were measured and nicely planned out. I wish I had more pictures because everything is just so neat and tidy.

Not everything went perfect, unfortunately. We shut the water off to put the new shutoff valves in place and it was taking forever to drain the water out. Eventually we thought we got it all so Tim sweated the valves on and we tested them out but they unfortunately leaked. What I learned about soldering pipe is that water is a dickhead. If there is water in the line it will cool the fittings so you'll never get the solder to wick around. Not only that, but the heating of the fitting, which heats the water, attracts more water to that site so it's a double-whammy.

Sure enough, we turned the water back off and cut the valves out, we could see that the solder didn't wick around to the top of the pipe. Extremely fortunately for us, Lowes was still open for a while and we bought two push-fit valves which are just black magic. They're expensive, but they work and they're dead simple. We got those on in literally seconds and were immediately able to turn the water back on and sweat all the remaining joints, we tested the new stuff and there were no leaks!

So, things to come in the near future:

- I still have a row in the ceiling that needs insulation. I ran out
- Figure out where the vanity light will be mounted, block that in.
- Mock up the TV in the corner, figure out where I need extra nailers, order the HDMI and IR stuff for the wall
- Nailers in the closet
- Add a couple boxes for receptacles in the bathroom.
- Run a new circuit for the bathroom
- Cement board for the bathroom floor (Tim will them come and help me cut the floor and plumb the waste lines for the toilet and shower)
- Ready for drywall

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I snapped a couple more pics last night of the plumbing progress from the weekend.

All the supply lines in place and pressurized. Here you'll see on the left at the bottom plate where we cut out the section of 2x3 wall and gained another few inches.

Push-fit shutoffs that saved the day

Nicely laid pipe (ladies). You'll note the end of the HVAC trunk there has a piece of cardboard taped to it. We needed to drop the last section of HVAC to get access, it was the heat for the master (which is not currently used) and my son's room, which is also not used since we use a baseboard electric heater in there. I'll get it hooked back up after we do the waste lines.

A happy benefit of working on this stuff in the basement is that I found out the can lights I have in the drop ceiling juuuuuuuuust fit in the floor joist cavity, so I'm going to rip down all of the drop ceiling because I hate it and acquire a bunch more of those lights to illuminate the poo poo out of my basement and enjoy slightly less-claustrophobia feeling.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Nice progress, it really helps to have someone that has done it before around.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
My only concern would be the electrical box in the same cavity as the plumbing pipes.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Veeb0rg posted:

My only concern would be the electrical box in the same cavity as the plumbing pipes.

I had the same concern, Tim (and others) have said it's not a problem. Maybe I'll spray foam where the wires go into the box or something?

This weekend was fairly productive, I got a lot of small odds and ends off the list.

I finished the insulation and added the remainder up into the attic (very happy to have that done with, gently caress you insulation).

I added some nailers for the vanity light and for the mirror.

Then I mocked them up to see if I was happy with the height (avert your eyes it's crooked as gently caress)

Finally got around to figuring out where the tv mount is going to need to go. Conveniently in between the two boxes already in the wall so I hodgepodged something together so I didn't have to move the boxes.

Last weekend when we were doing the plumbing we obviously had the water shut off and drained as best we could. The next day when my wife when to do laundry she noticed the water wasn't coming out right, so she started fiddling with the super old supply valves for the washer (not knowing there was air in the line and it just had to repressurize). So by doing that, one of the valves developed a slow leak. So this weekend I also tackled that. I got all push-fit stuff because I'm lazy and didn't want to be without water again for a long period of time. Was extremely simple, it took about 15 minutes for everything including mounting a new piece of wood because I mis-measured (not remembering the push fittings go into the pipes almost an inch on each side). Of course I had to make another trip to lowes because my old lines leaked since the washers were so hard. Two new SS lines and 3 minutes later it's all hooked up and working with no leaks.

I'm really close to buying some drywall (and being able to hang it in the main part of the room anyway, but before I can hang that I need to go around and remove all the teeny nails that were holding the paneling on the walls, and chisel off any pieces that grafted themselves to the studs. It shouldn't take too long, it's more annoying than anything. I'll also need to find a volunteer to help me drywalling the ceiling, at least that won't take too long.

Super excited to be making some progress once again.

As an aside, it was pretty nice here this weekend. Yesterday I decided to take the motorcycle to Arby's for lunch, I haven't ridden it in a few months. Needless to say after I was done eating the battery was flat as hell and I had to have my wife come and rescue me. It was ultra cold this winter and the battery is 5 years old so I guess it was inevitable.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

An inspector might not like that electric on the right. NM isn't supposed to be exposed on the stud side facing the room, even in unfinished basement sections. Usually in unfinished basements, electricians will run conduit from that box up to the joists, usually EMT or flex with appropriate fasteners.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I could murder a kitten right now. I came back from one of my many lowes trips and was putting some stuff into the room and managed to tip the toilet tank over and the mother fucker cracked.

Of course it's 100% my fault still having the toilet unpacked somewhere it could be damaged. Poking around online the replacement tank is going to cost ~$120 which is awesome since I decided to buy a "good" toilet (I could buy a whole new cheap toilet for that much money). Not pleased. I'm consoling myself with a drink while the hate runs through me.

In better news I ripped down half of the drop ceiling in the basement, bought some drywall to get me started on the ceiling in the bedroom, and bought 6 more recessed lights to finish off the basement when I get time to work on that more.

I find it funny that when we bought our house the basement was "finished", and I've slowly been unfinishing it. I removed a big bar, the carpet (thanks to water in the basement), demo'd out two rooms that were down there, and am currently ripping out the ceiling. While some may not agree, I think drop ceiling is a cancer of the basement world, and would much rather have exposed floor joists to look at and some extra height.

kid sinister posted:

An inspector might not like that electric on the right. NM isn't supposed to be exposed on the stud side facing the room, even in unfinished basement sections. Usually in unfinished basements, electricians will run conduit from that box up to the joists, usually EMT or flex with appropriate fasteners.

I assume this is so the wires don't get damaged somehow? It wasn't mentioned in our home inspection or anything and the guy was fairly thorough. I'll keep it in mind to fix someday. We don't plan on always having the laundry room down there, so I will ignore it for a long time I'm sure. It's at least on a GFCI circuit.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dreesemonkey posted:

In better news I ripped down half of the drop ceiling in the basement, bought some drywall to get me started on the ceiling in the bedroom, and bought 6 more recessed lights to finish off the basement when I get time to work on that more.

I find it funny that when we bought our house the basement was "finished", and I've slowly been unfinishing it. I removed a big bar, the carpet (thanks to water in the basement), demo'd out two rooms that were down there, and am currently ripping out the ceiling. While some may not agree, I think drop ceiling is a cancer of the basement world, and would much rather have exposed floor joists to look at and some extra height.

Why not close in the joists with drywall and frame out around any pipes or ductwork with 1x2s? For the most part you keep the ceiling height you gained in removing the drop ceiling and it still looks "finished" when you go to sell later. Or just drywall under any pipes (requires some interesting cuts, but it works) and paint them white to match.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Magnus Praeda posted:

Why not close in the joists with drywall and frame out around any pipes or ductwork with 1x2s? For the most part you keep the ceiling height you gained in removing the drop ceiling and it still looks "finished" when you go to sell later. Or just drywall under any pipes (requires some interesting cuts, but it works) and paint them white to match.

It's on the radar, I'm not sure what to do with it. Drywall would look nice and it's a possibility, but I'd have to be done messing around with everything above me for that to happen, and I can't imagine that's going to happen anytime soon. We pretty much never* plan on selling the house.

* unless we win the lottery or have twins or something

Spurred on by being annoyed as hell with myself for ruining my toilet, I took my frustrations out on the basement. Here is a shot of where it was as of my last post, half of the drop ceiling removed

While I was working I found a fun surprise on top of one of the ceiling tiles. I'm surprised they didn't slide off and stick into my face. No blood found, so I'm guessing it's nothing exciting like a murder weapon.

With all the stuff removed I put 4 more lights in and I'm pretty happy with the light situation now in the basement!

From where I'm standing in the last picture, to me, it looks really good. There is a bunch of wiring I can clean up (the really low hanging ones near the HVAC are from my living room tv/blu ray player stuff). However directly above me, which is the entrance way to the basement is a complete clusterfuck. A lot of piping everywhere, we have our well line coming in, our randon mitigation system, an enormous insulated HVAC run to the kitchen/dining room, and who knows what else. That area won't be able to be tidied up much. There is a lot of "as the crow flies" electrical stuff going on that will be removed, one of the PO's apparently had a hardon for putting receptacles in the ceiling, there are at least 10 down there. I'll slowly be cleaning these up while I have time.

After our bedroom project we're considering ourselves "done" with major projects for a while, but the basement will be a slow, gradual project for me. The general gameplan from this point is:

- Clean up the untidy overhead wiring
- Remove the batt insulation from the rim joists and replace with foam board
- Install 2 new basement windows that have some semblance of not letting air in
- Remove paneling, fix all crazy rear end wiring
- Drywall

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

I could murder a kitten right now. I came back from one of my many lowes trips and was putting some stuff into the room and managed to tip the toilet tank over and the mother fucker cracked.

Of course it's 100% my fault still having the toilet unpacked somewhere it could be damaged. Poking around online the replacement tank is going to cost ~$120 which is awesome since I decided to buy a "good" toilet (I could buy a whole new cheap toilet for that much money). Not pleased. I'm consoling myself with a drink while the hate runs through me.

If you got money to burn and need more space in the bathroom, there are always in wall toilets like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Grohe-38996000-In-wall-Wall-Mounted-Toilets/dp/B00CQD7FAM

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

I assume this is so the wires don't get damaged somehow? It wasn't mentioned in our home inspection or anything and the guy was fairly thorough. I'll keep it in mind to fix someday. We don't plan on always having the laundry room down there, so I will ignore it for a long time I'm sure. It's at least on a GFCI circuit.

Bingo, you got it. Wiring isn't allowed to be exposed and unprotected. Well, not allowed on the surface towards a room. You can still have it stapled to studs or joists in an unfinished basement section if it's fastened to the sides and at least 1 & 1/4" back from the face.

GFCIs are weird for basement laundries. Yes, GFCIs are required in unfinished basement sections, but laundry is required to be on its own circuit, which falls under the "dedicated circuit" exemption for GFCIs. I say put it on a GFCI if possible, but get ready for nuisance trips. Big motors in older appliances can behave like a false positive to a GFCI and can cause nuisance trips.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

dreesemonkey posted:

one of the PO's apparently had a hardon for putting receptacles in the ceiling, there are at least 10 down there.

It's worse than we feared. You bought groverhaus, didn't you?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's worse than we feared. You bought groverhaus, didn't you?

Haha, they're actually competently done (PO was an electrical engineer - Just like you?), there were for things like neon signs, light for above the dartboard, etc. I just don't know why there were so many of them. Also, why he didn't just take the extra 20 minutes to staple the wires to joists like a normal human being. Come on, fella!

The other weird part of the wiring is there are a ton of outlets in the walls, and half of them don't work. That will be interesting to figure out what happened when I can open up the walls. I guess at some point maybe he needed to wire a new circuit and thought "I'll just make 20 of the outlets in the basement not work, no worries there are another 20". I could probably retire comfortably stripping the copper out of the walls.

It's stockholm syndrom "It's really not that bad, guys!"

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 5, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dreesemonkey posted:

Haha, they're actually competently done (PO was an electrical engineer - Just like you?), there were for things like neon signs, light for above the dartboard, etc. I just don't know why there were so many of them. Also, why he didn't just take the extra 20 minutes to staple the wires to joists like a normal human being. Come on, fella!

The other weird part of the wiring is there are a ton of outlets in the walls, and half of them don't work. That will be interesting to figure out what happened when I can open up the walls. I guess at some point maybe he needed to wire a new circuit and thought "I'll just make 20 of the outlets in the basement not work, no worries there are another 20". I could probably retire comfortably stripping the copper out of the walls.

No part of this post refutes kastein's theory. I even think grover is an EE.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Slugworth posted:

No part of this post refutes kastein's theory. I even think grover is an EE.

Seriously. We're going to see how much insulation is under the stairs before we can be sure.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

Hmmm, that's weird. Maybe that's an abandoned aluminium wiring circuit? Pull one of the dead outlets out of its box and see.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kid sinister posted:

Hmmm, that's weird. Maybe that's an abandoned aluminium wiring circuit? Pull one of the dead outlets out of its box and see.

Well I checked one of the boxes, it's definitely copper wiring. I suppose they may be on a circuit I have turned off, but the only ones I have turned off are 220 (I think, if two of the breakers are 'tied' together that's 220, right?). So it remains a mystery that I don't plan on solving anytime soon.

All this code stuff boggles my mind, how am I supposed to know even half this poo poo? haha...

My son was watching a movie last night so I felt like doing something in the basement. I tidied up the A/V wires heading back to the server rack to get them up and out of the way.

Before / After

I was talking the other day about the cluterfuck over by the entry door, this is what it looks like. I've got two "vent hoses" they had running that I need to remove, a radon mitigation system, my well line, the cooling lines for my central air, and plumbing and HVAC going out to my kitchen

You guys aren't giving me much confidence in my EE previous owner. But at least the only stairs in my house (that lead to the basement) are poured concrete. Also, I counted 9 outlets in the ceiling. There may be one or two in the laundry room, I keep forgetting I didn't take that drop ceiling down yet. Is the grover thread in the archives? I vaguely remember the start of it I think but lost track after that.

Room progress:
Today I'm taking a half day, going home and getting stuff organized and ready to drywall the ceiling. My wife's cousin is coming over to help, he was the same guy that helped me drywall the ceiling in the last room we did. So with any luck I should have (most of) the ceiling drywalled tonight. Then tentatively it looks like Sunday I'll get started on the walls.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

I think, if two of the breakers are 'tied' together that's 220, right?

Almost always. There was a code update recently (2011 or 2008, not sure) that if two 120V circuits share one neutral wire (you know, like on 14/3 NM), then their breakers must also be tied together. That way, you don't get shocked by accident in a box where that dual hot cable ends, thinking "Why'd I get shocked by that wire? I turned off the breaker and the other hot wire is dead!"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Some progress happened over the last few days. Thursday my wife's cousin came over to help me with the ceiling. We did all but the bathroom ceiling for some reason, so that's yet to be done.

Saturday I watched my son most of the day, then when my wife got home I cut the holes out for the lights, finished securing the ceiling, and prepped the walls for drywall. I had a lot of little nails to remove and an annoying amount of paneling stuck to some of the studs to chisel off.

Ceiling

Yesterday I made yet another trip to lowes to buy enough drywall to hopefully finish all the walls except for the bathroom. I didn't get a ton of time to work since my mom came for a quick visit, but I did manage to get the closet and one wall finished. Except for my "freehand" cuts around the window frame, everything turned out really well. I made my cuts for the outlets in advance as so far they lined right up.

Every panel I hang I need to cut something from it, either around a window or cut for an outlet (or both), not including I have to trim about 6" off each board because our ceilings aren't 8'. Not a big deal, but it does slow me down.

My wife and son are leaving for the weekend so by the time they come back on Sunday the drywall should be hung and I should have the new circuit run for the bathroom. I can start finishing if I have time.

I also treated myself to a new 20v drill/driver combo. I wanted to upgrade to lithium batteries and they were on sale at Amazon for $150. I have some porter cable 18V nicad stuff now that I'm happy with (except for the battery life), so this should be a nice addition to the stable. Sucks that I can't use the new batteries on my 18V stuff, but that's life I guess.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Any particular reason to do vertical instead of horizontal setup for the drywall?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

Any particular reason to do vertical instead of horizontal setup for the drywall?

A couple of reasons:

- I can really only comfortably fit 8' sheets of drywall in my truck
- I'd need 12' sheets to avoid butt joints (though I do have them on the ceiling)
- It's easier for me to manage by myself, I have a drywall lift that makes it pretty easy.
- It's just what I've done and I'm comfortable with it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The no butt-joints thing is a pretty big deal. I guess to be honest I'm more surprised that anyone does drywall horizontally on a wall.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

The no butt-joints thing is a pretty big deal. I guess to be honest I'm more surprised that anyone does drywall horizontally on a wall.

It's probably not a big deal for professionals that are finishing all day every day, they can make it invisible. But for me, the less butt joints I have the better.

I'm going to get my ex-drywall finishing friend over to do the ceiling for me since that is one place I don't want really sloppy finishing. On the plus side he should be able to bang it out very quickly.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Had a good and bad, but mostly productive weekend.

E/N
The bad, unrelated to DIY, was that we had to put one of our cats to sleep on Saturday. He's had recurring bladder problems for months now, and it was the worst it had been on Saturday morning. Mercifully my wife was out of town, but we did discuss our options over the phone so it wasn't a complete surprise for her. Basically it was going to be $1000+ to do whatever we had to, and the vet said with his persistent problems there was a fair chance surgery, etc wouldn't help anyway since we've explored all other avenues short of that before. He was in pain, so I decided it was time :( I'm pretty bummed about it (though realistic), but my wife is pretty much a wreck.

Another lovely thing pissing me off is that we decided to be proactive with our '99 Toyota Avalon and do some preventative maintenance. In the ultimate stupid move, I got an acquaintance of mine to do the work trying to save some money since it would likely be ~$1300 to do at my usual mechanic. I assumed he was competent because he works as a mechanic and has a nice big (personal) shop with a lift. I gave him a timing belt kit, valve cover gaskets, PCV, and power steering pump to do. Well I get the car back and it's smoking like crazy and waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy down on power. Why on earth he thought I would have brought him a car that ran like poo poo while I dumped hundreds of dollars into it is beyond me. He wants to "make it right" but I'm just going to take it to my mechanic and consider it stupid tax. It's running super pig rich and there is a multiple cylinder misfire so something is wrong. Could be the timing is off or something relatively simple. Either way it's not going to be cheap to diagnose and fix. Ugh, gently caress this noise. All this because the car was leaking oil from the valve covers and I thought it would be smart to do the timing belt since it has a ton of miles on it. So we'll probably drop $600 getting them to un-gently caress it up and we need to buy tires for our civic. Good thing I'm a saver.

Back to DIY
Anyway, I had some good time to work on the house over the weekend. I hung all the drywall that I could, leaving off the bathroom and the area where the pocket door framing has to go. I put down the hardiebacker in the bathroom, and I ran the wiring for the bathroom circuit (not hookup up) and added a junction box underneath to go to the GFCI outlet, the thermostat for the infloor heating, and out switches for the fan / lights. I'm going to need a few hours to track down a circuit we no longer need (our breaker box is full) and then wire the new circuit in. On the bright side we have a big breaker in line before our main box so I can turn all the power off before it even comes into the box so I don't have to worry about the incoming lines at the top of the box.

From the doorway

Other corner - You can see along the ceiling where either a stud wasn't plumb or I hung a sheet slightly crooked because there is a decent amount of gaps. On the bright side all the cutting for the outlets went well, though I have a few where the opening is just too big and the outlet tabs aren't resting on the drywall. Need to fix that somehow.

Hardiebacker - I have it coming all the way through the threshold in preparation of one of those marble threshold peices. If I don't want to do that I can trim it back later

Bathroom ceiling - I screwed up cutting the drywall and have a tapered and butt joint meeting up. This purple board is expensive enough I'm not considering fixing it, I'll just feather it out best I can.

Beer - I went to the distributor to get a case since my friend was coming to visit on Friday and they had some excellent sales so I ended up getting 4 cases (Yuengling variety pack $15, Sam Adams winter lager $21, 2x Hoffbaru hefe weitzen $10/each (!!!)). Had too many Friday night. Not pictured are the two 6ers I took to the upstairs fridge. I'll be set for a while.

Sorry the pics are blurrier than usual, sweeping up dust is messy.

Until Tim comes back up to help finish up the plumbing, I can't hang the drywall in the bathroom (the shower unit wouldn't fit). So until then I need to wire the new circuit and can start drywall finishing, both of which will keep me busy for a while.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 17, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I assume the walls in those first two pictures aren't actually curved, and that's just the lens?

Also, I'm travelling and currently in Pittsburgh and your state's liquor laws make no sense to me :psyduck:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

I assume the walls in those first two pictures aren't actually curved, and that's just the lens?

Also, I'm travelling and currently in Pittsburgh and your state's liquor laws make no sense to me :psyduck:

Did I not mention that I live in a fun house? :c00lbert:

Yes, this state is stupid. It's been only a couple years now that we can actually buy alcohol on Sundays. Of course it has to still be at the same "distributor" (for cases) or "state store" (for wine/liquor) or a restaraunt/six pack shop with a liquor license (up to 12 beers per transaction or something). If anything it makes us drink more to forget how stupid it is.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

dreesemonkey posted:

Did I not mention that I live in a fun house? :c00lbert:

Yes, this state is stupid. It's been only a couple years now that we can actually buy alcohol on Sundays. Of course it has to still be at the same "distributor" (for cases) or "state store" (for wine/liquor) or a restaraunt/six pack shop with a liquor license (up to 12 beers per transaction or something). If anything it makes us drink more to forget how stupid it is.

Georgia has a three-tiered system where the retailer can't be the brewer and must purchase it from a distributor. Consumers cannot purchase from distributors. We only had county referendums on beer purchasing on Sunday starting last year. :swoon: Georgia.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In Minnesota we can't purchase on Sundays, but liquor stores aren't run by the state and stay open until 10, and I can go to one place to get beer, wine, and liquor, in any quantity (really it's the beer thing that's just stupid to me, what possible purpose does it serve?). We've got the same three tiered system in Minnesota, with a few exceptions for tap rooms to sell their own beer.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I love your homemade fridge rack on the bottom. Looks like you've made great progress! It's really fun to keep up with your thread.

So, so sorry about your cat. It's never easy, even if you know it's the right thing to do. I have a diabetic cat that has had urination issues, so I hope you don't mind me asking: how old was your cat? Male or female? Was it diagnosed with anything to explain the issues?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

fork bomb posted:

I love your homemade fridge rack on the bottom. Looks like you've made great progress! It's really fun to keep up with your thread.

So, so sorry about your cat. It's never easy, even if you know it's the right thing to do. I have a diabetic cat that has had urination issues, so I hope you don't mind me asking: how old was your cat? Male or female? Was it diagnosed with anything to explain the issues?

Beer chat:
The shelf in the fridge was a necessity, a while back I converted it to a kegerator and it needed a solid surface for the keg to sit on. The last keg has been kicked for a while and since I moved the kegerator to the basement I honestly don't think I'll be getting 1/2 kegs anymore, too heavy to go down the stairs with. I don't drink much these days anyway, but I'll probably get 1/4 keg again sometime for the novelty of it.

And thanks, I hope to have some big productivity in the near future, I'm so ready to get out of our small room.

Cat chat:
Ernie (aka Ern McGern aka Oooogs Magoogs aka DON'T PEE IN THE HOUSE) was a 5 year old male, so really quite young yet. We're pretty sure he was from a bad batch of kitties, we got him from our good friends and each of his siblings have all had major health and/or behavioral problems. The last half year we've had problems with him peeing in the house, and for a while we thought it may be partially behavioral because he would target areas specifically having to do with our son (his couch, behind his loveseat, his bedroom door). He did also have UTIs, so he was on various antibiotics for a while. During a particularly bad episode he had an xray and there were no stones, so just a bad UTI. It was a recurring theme that he would have an episode, we'd take him to the vet, he'd get antibiotics, and he'd be fine for a week or two and it would start all over again. We tried all the easy stuff up front, wet food (to keep them hydrated in case it was kidney stones), pheromone diffuser (to chill him out if it was behavioral), separate litter boxes, cleaning the boxes daily, a bunch of "natural" meds, and most recently valium. The vet told me that there was a few different surgery options but in some cases these bladder issues are just recurring and happen regardless, so I made the tough choice. In some ways I feel guilty but I have to be realistic and throwing thousands of dollars at a pet is not our best move right now :(

Misc DIY chat:
I'm probably a good hour or two worth of work away from having the bathroom circuit up and going. I wired the outlets and switches last night, and the junction box below that, so all I have to do next is pull out the circuit I want to remove and wire in this one. I haven't done that before so I'm excited to get another thing checked off my list of things I've done. I need to make a trip to lowes to get a new circuit and filler plate for the box at some point soon.

I other cool news, Tim, my sister's boyfriend who helped me with the plumbing sold his flip house he's been working on for the last year within 48 hours of listing for (slightly) over asking price so he's really pleased. The buyer was touring the house with her contractor friend and Tim happened to be there working on some small projects, they chatted a bit and the lady told him "I know I'm not supposed to say this but I love the house and I want it, I'm going to make an offer today". Pretty cool when things work out like that :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I got my new bathroom circuit all wired up, which was my one goal for the weekend. It wasn't difficult, and went well. I giggled like an idiot when I pressed my timer switch and it worked as expected. The bathroom fan is super quiet, too.

One small victory deserved another. It seems like every time I went downstairs I had to dodge ping pong paddles and balls since they were kept within toddler-reach. I thought "Hey I should build something to put that stuff on finally", so I did. Disclaimer: This was a 30 minute job or so, so don't expect much.

This is how they were kept before, a shoe box zip tied to the side of the table

I had some scrape 1x5 and 1x4 around, I thought that would be perfect, cut it to 20" so I'd have plenty of room to screw into studs.

Measured and started drilling some holes. I could have made this nicer with a jig saw or something, but my jig saw sucks.

Paddles side by side (I have 4 total)

All the holes drilled

On the wall

Quick, easy and practical.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My sister's boyfriend returned again to help with the waste lines which are all pretty much done. The exception being the shower, the last 2" section going into the shower drain is still uncut but everything else it glued in place. Tim is a wizard, all the plumbing is tucked up as far as it could go hugging joists, etc.

I need to do a mortar bed for the shower base and then I can cut the shower pipe to length and get it glued up. I'm going to need help with the mortar bed since the bottom of the shower needs lifted and set into place. After that, it's jamming the top of the shower enclosure in place (which looks to be a really tight squeeze with the shower plumbing sticking out) and fastening it down. After that I can then start hanging the drywall in there and finishing the pocket door frame.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I had some flex time at work so yesterday I took the afternoon off to enjoy the beautiful weather. One cannot simply sit idle, so I broke out the chainsaw to make a small clearing for a swingset/playhouse type thing that we're supposed to be getting from my wife's cousins.

My wife thought we should put in in the yard somewhere, but I decided it would be much more pleasing to the eye if it was partially in the "woods" of the side yard.

The general area of the yard that it's going

Dead tree standing

Cleared out (different angle, this is from the porch)

I'm planning on clearing the leaves out of that spot so we can attempt to get it leveled as best we can. We still need to find a way to get it to our house as assembled as possible, too.

While my cleanup was going on there were two large military planes circling overhead, we have a very small regional airport that I doubt they could even land at. They must have circled the house 10 times. Apparently they were all over the general area. The one pass was very close to the house and they were probably only about 1000' up, unfortunately I didn't get any pics because I was running the saw and had my hearing protection in. It was pretty neato, though.

Landing lights on

Auto Awesome of that

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

off topic : any update on the car? Was timing off by one tooth?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

b0g posted:

off topic : any update on the car? Was timing off by one tooth?

I don't know the exact details, but the main problem was the timing was "way off" according to my mechanic. I guess it's at least good that it wasn't off far enough for valve to meet piston since it's an interference engine.

Not only was the timing off, but when he had put on the new valve cover gaskets, one got kinked and was leaking way worse than before. And the PCV wasn't installed right or something. So everything I asked him to do, he screwed up. Life lesson learned. But the car is back to normal and driving great.

The weather has been awesome up here the last couple days, we had some friends up yesterday and it was low 70s and sunny. Today is supposed to peek into the 80s so I'll likely be doing some yard work today. Nice to be outside!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Small milestone met yesterday, I had help come and help me do the mortar bed for the shower base and then we cut the hole for the plumbing and put it in place. Doesn't sound like much work but it still took us a few hours of trying to better level the shower base, messing with a twisted stud and such. I was initially worried about the surround fitting over the shower controls, but I was just able to pull the cartridge out and it was enough to slide it into place.

Since the shower unit / the back wall were not plumb, I had to rip down some lengths of board to shim out the edges of the unit so they could be properly snugged.

Then I cut up my last remaining sheet of mold resistant drywall and hung it in place. I hung it horizontally this time because there was no good place to start/stop hanging it vertically.

If the weather holds out today I'm going to be buying the remaining drywall for the bathroom so I can get that done. I also need to schedule a skype call with my sister's boyfriend to walk me though the shower drain install process, there are so many pieces I'm not sure what part goes where.

Aside from that I've got a few things to keep me busy. I'm hoping with this last part of progress it will keep me motivated to do some work vs. the sitting around doing nothing for the last month.

- Buy pocket door
- Finish pocket door framing
- Finish drywall hanging
- Start finishing drywall

Lastly, my wife is pregnant with child #2, due mid November. So I have a for-sure deadline now ;) My tentative goal, if I can get off my lazy rear end, is to have the room be mostly done by the end of June, when we'll be leaving for vacation. A lot of work between now and then.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Congrats on baby, we are also battoning the hatches for our sxecond, but are looking to sell rather than stay. looking good though and nearly finished on the ensuite will be great for when youare getting no sleep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Got some items off the to do list this weekend, the pocket door is in and the drywall is finally all hung. Starting to look like a room!

Tiny bathroom, this is about the only shot I could get

The side that looks different

Everything went pretty well, I did forget after I put the one sheet of drywall up that I have fished my in floor heating wires up to the box (because I didn't buy them yet), so I'm going to end up cutting the drywall to run them. Oops! I asked the wife if she had any thoughts of doing wainscott in the bathroom because then it would matter me cutting up the stuff. I think it would brighten it up in there, but we do have a bunch of white going in there otherwise. So I dunno.

Next steps, still have to install the shower drain which I can hopefully do this week, then I can start finishing drywall.