Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Preferred by who?

I don't know man, like, people. Sounds like it was bad info. You never get that from IRC... :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The Ghost King is a chassis that can be used as a combination mage and SC, but excels at neither. To SC he needs either a lot of gear (so he can't be used as an expander) or to take Dom9 or Dom10 for Awe, which is expensive from the starting strength of 2. He also needs to be able to mitigate his lovely protection and vulnerability to arrows, or possibly just using him against indeps that don't exploit those vulnerabilities. As a mage, pathcost 20 and the need to take dom9 or 10 to make the most of his SC capabilities limits what you can spend so you'll have a less broad path base than other mage pretenders.

He also compares unfavorably to the Master Lich or Demilich, as their immortality means they can be used recklessly where the Ghost King absolutely must be deployed with maximum caution. Of course, the Master Lich is a less good mage and the Demilich can't be used as an SC, so it's not like they're straight up better.

Overall he fills the role of a hybrid mage & SC but excels at neither. It's a pretty small niche. I use him, for example, for EA Atlantis when I don't have to fight an underwater war, as there are no arrows underwater and having Death and Air magic is extremely beneficial to the nation.

If you want a pure SC you can't go wrong with a dragon with Dom9. Yes, it costs the same as the GK to go from 2 to 9, but the dragon's built-in combat stats are so incredibly dominant right now.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

How about in a Disciple game? I'm only even asking all this because a buddy of mine is making a Disciple for a game and when I parroted what I'd heard about the Ghost King a while back he liked the idea and now hes a bit set on it. It's just a Disciple comp stomp to get the newer players some experience so he doesn't need to worry about getting script sniped or anything. There's no major Bless on the Pretender so GK will have to find his own buffs.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Well, it's not an awful disciple because you have the massive quantity of points to go into it, but given that it's literally impossible to buy Awe, an immortal will have more special abilities and a mage pretender will be more efficient. With neither a bless nor awe you lose 90% of what makes a ghost king more effective than other pretenders for certain niche purposes.

I'd highly recommend a Master Lich or a Vampire Queen to fill an aggressive mage role as a disciple.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 1, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What do you guys think about the Hashmals for Ashdod and Gath? It kind of bugs me that they're S3F1 to summon, but they're pretty awesome for a Conj6 summon.
Holy 2, Awe 5, Fireshield 8, Ethereal, Flying, Invulnerability 20, 14 atk&def, 1 encumbrance, fire and shock resistance, and an aoe fire attack. All for 21 pearls.
I'm not so sure about the Ophans though. They cost 49 pearls. They can trample and fly, and have a protection of 21 along with all the other abilities the Hashmal has, but dammit that racks up fatigue. On the other hand they have all types of elemental resistance. They also have a patrol bonus of 50, but that's gravy.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 2, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Are there any independent units that are worth using (other than mages)? Crystal Amazons and Hoburg Crossbowmen look like they might be worth it if you don't have good ranged units of your own, and I'd like to know if there are any good indy cavalry units.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jabarto posted:

Are there any independent units that are worth using (other than mages)? Crystal Amazons and Hoburg Crossbowmen look like they might be worth it if you don't have good ranged units of your own, and I'd like to know if there are any good indy cavalry units.

Hoburgs are actually kind of auto-include. Look at their stats - you pay 7 gold for a precision 11 crossbow. LA Ulm is normally a pretty awesome nation for ranged trashing, but they pay almost twice as much for +1 precision and about the same survivability since Hoburgs destroy them in defense skill and magic resistance.

Be-loving-ware of people running around with Hoburg Crossbowman, they aren't a joke.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 2, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Im pretty sure that Hoburg Crossbowmen are pretty much the best ranged units in the game for cost.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jabarto posted:

1. Commander
2. Scout
3. massable ranged units
4. Zotz if you like throwing money down a bat boy pit

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hey i'll have you know some Zotz scripted to attack archers totally fucks up enemy scripting.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Neruz posted:

Hey i'll have you know some Zotz scripted to attack archers totally fucks up enemy scripting.

For 1 turn before they rout.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

For 1 turn before they rout.

Well yeah but its fun watching the enemy's mages throw nukes all over his own dudes thanks to surprise batpeople :colbert:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Lava-borns are pretty good indies if you find them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
HOLY poo poo THERES A RANDOM NATION GENERATOR GAME GOING UP
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140&pagenumber=82#post426399627 GET THE gently caress IN

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Pretty much any of the Amazon Cavalry units, especially Nightmares.

Slingers, of course, as siege troops.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

jBrereton posted:

Slingers Pale Ones, of course, as siege troops.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pale Ones are rare as gently caress to find as indies.

Yeah if your map is choked with caves like Valanis there are going to be some, but Valanis is not a terribly good map, gameplay-wise (looks great though).

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jsoh posted:

HOLY poo poo THERES A RANDOM NATION GENERATOR GAME GOING UP
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140&pagenumber=82#post426399627 GET THE gently caress IN

INGANY: FOLLOWERS OF THE RHUBARB BRINGERS.

How does dominions 4 keep making me this happy, i love this mod so much. Please someone make a nation of zotz that ride hoburgs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Which non-undead nation is least affected by an ongoing Burden of Time? EA Tir na nog?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Atlantis gets off scott free, someone cast it in Bloodloss last turn and as LA Atlantis the dire warnings i get each turn tell me that ONE UNIT IS SEVERELY AFFLICTED while every other unit i have just shrugs and gets on with murder.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Doesn't it gently caress up province income as well? It would still hurt but not as much as the other people.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Torrannor posted:

Which non-undead nation is least affected by an ongoing Burden of Time? EA Tir na nog?

Anything with giants or demons and most UW.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Played a few games with some friends, really enjoying it but we all have the same problem, while we are all researching crazy things we just have no idea what to do with our magics and gems. We've mostly been getting used to building giant armies to crush our enemies, been using Pangaea and I am loving my minotaur trample legions. Only real magic I've used was conjuration and that was just summoning a pile of different mobs to see if they were cool or not.

Also, how does a disciple game work anyway? Does everyone have to be the same nation? Do you still get your own god but he works for the chosen pretender? Can you still spread dominion?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jBrereton posted:

Pale Ones are rare as gently caress to find as indies.

Yeah if your map is choked with caves like Valanis there are going to be some, but Valanis is not a terribly good map, gameplay-wise (looks great though).

What's wrong with Valanis? Unbalanced starts?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Cainer posted:

Played a few games with some friends, really enjoying it but we all have the same problem, while we are all researching crazy things we just have no idea what to do with our magics and gems. We've mostly been getting used to building giant armies to crush our enemies, been using Pangaea and I am loving my minotaur trample legions. Only real magic I've used was conjuration and that was just summoning a pile of different mobs to see if they were cool or not.

Also, how does a disciple game work anyway? Does everyone have to be the same nation? Do you still get your own god but he works for the chosen pretender? Can you still spread dominion?

Disciple games have one pretender who acts kind of like a regular god, and several disciples gods who share his dominion and can't put points into scales or domstrength nor do their magic points count towards any bless. The pretender sets the scales, bless, domstrength, etc for the nation, and his disciples awaken one tier earlier than he does. The disciples act as prophets; they are constantly blessed with their pretender's bless (no one on the team can make prophets) and both pretenders and disciples can be revived if dead.

In a disciple game you share candles as a team, you can move through allied lands and exchange provinces. You do not share lab space or research or incomes, although you can certainly trade with your team.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Torrannor posted:

ahahah you think Valanis has starts?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

It isn't wraparound, cave provinces are usually a piece of piss to take and have huge resource income, so anyone starting in the south has a gigantic advantage, especially since there are only a couple of ways in, the river crossing points are chokey, and any water nation is going to act, at best, as a spoiler for the rest of the game.

It's also a little short on cash generally, but if you increase the cash rate, you again give more advantages to the people with access to the very safe provinces in the south.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Thats why you have an Agartha in the game who gets to start in the caves and be angry molepeople at the surface dwellers.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

jBrereton posted:

It isn't wraparound

People actually like wraparound maps? I think they're disconcerting as hell to navigate.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jabarto posted:

People actually like wraparound maps? I think they're disconcerting as hell to navigate.

Wraparound mitigates the ability to hunker down on chokepoints. Without wraparound, you end up with less possible avenues of approach to some provinces so it is easier to plop down a ton of forts and armies in the few avenues that are available. Comparatively, that gives a big disadvantage to players who start in the middle, who have much larger fronts they have to deal with.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 2, 2014

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
If you haven't tried the Random Nation Generator yet, then I don't think you want to have fun.

Meet the Glorious Nation of Hawsaton
- Rise of the Blizzard Mages

Hawsaton is a nation of Atlantians, Abyssians and Demonbred, that starts on land. As the name implies, the nation is home to powerful Atlantian air and water mages, foremost of which is the Blizzard Prince:

Blizzard Princes can only be recruited from the capital of Hawsaton, unlike the nation's lesser but useful mages, the Blizzard Mystics and Magi:

Recently, a wave of rebellious Abyssians have even started doing the unthinkable, studying magic that isn't fire!

In battle, the mighty armies of Hawsaton are led by the powerful Avenging Masters,

and seen to by the Arch Bishops of the holy Faith religion:

Hawsaton's powerful shock troopers – the aptly named Avenging Avengers – take especially well to the blessings of their Pretender:

Yet, as every Hawsatonian knows, war never stands still. Therefore, the Hawsatonian military engineers have recently rolled out a powerful new form of vehicular technology: The Fossilized Giantmobile. Led by the daring Commanders,

the light Fossil Riders serve to screen the enemy,

while the very slightly heavier troops move into position,

The military might of Hawsaton is supreme!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jabarto posted:

In any kind of strategy game corners are your best friend; if you are in a corner then that is two entire directions from which enemies cannot approach you at all which is huge.

If you're ever playing a strategy game and you're in a corner and you meet someone who is good at the game, they are going to try and steal your corner.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

In any kind of strategy game corners are your best friend; if you are in a corner then that is two entire directions from which enemies cannot approach you at all which is huge.

If you're ever playing a strategy game and you're in a corner and you meet someone who is good at the game, they are going to try and steal your corner.

Actually I don't like corners in dominions cause it kills your options and slows expansion :shobon:. You must go to war with whoever is going to end up containing you whether it's a good matchup or not. Assuming you can negotiate well in the middle you have a better chance of choosing who to war along with the increased chance of dogpiles.

If I border a corner guy I either leave him a path open so I'm not his only neighbor and NAP, or try to split his inevitably smaller empire with whoever else ends up bordering him.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Neruz posted:

This is analogising from a very different game and I have played very little dominions so take it with all the salt, but I remember that win data from diplomacy games suggested that more central powers were simultaneously more likely to suffer early elimination and more likely to be outright winners.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

This is analogising from a very different game and I have played very little dominions so take it with all the salt, but I remember that win data from diplomacy games suggested that more central powers were simultaneously more likely to suffer early elimination and more likely to be outright winners.

A central power that does well will do better overall than a corner power, but central powers are significantly more unstable and horrifically vulnerable to a co-ordinated assault by multiple enemies.

The advantage of a corner is that corners are reliably safe; being in a corner allows you to completely ignore defense across half of your frontlines which translates to more resources to spend on the other fronts. It's mostly about predictability; being in the center is significantly greater risk for a bit more reward, however skilled opponents in the corners will be careful to diplome at people as best they can to ensure that any rising central power gets curbstomped by an alliance; something they don't have to worry about.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Actually I don't like corners in dominions cause it kills your options and slows expansion :shobon:. You must go to war with whoever is going to end up containing you whether it's a good matchup or not. Assuming you can negotiate well in the middle you have a better chance of choosing who to war along with the increased chance of dogpiles.

If I border a corner guy I either leave him a path open so I'm not his only neighbor and NAP, or try to split his inevitably smaller empire with whoever else ends up bordering him.

Yeah if you get unlucky and you have to go through tribless Mictlan to get out of your corner you are probably hosed, but in any strategy game with randomized spawns there is always a small but nonzero chance that you will just get hosed over by the spawn and lose at game creation.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Azram Legion posted:

Meet the Glorious Nation of Hawsaton
- Rise of the Blizzard Mages

People should post more of these. Those fossial riders are hilarious.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheresNoThyme posted:

People should post more of these. Those fossial riders are hilarious.

Download the nation gen and see for yourself!

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
How is this happening. Surely the fossil riders aren't randomly generated, someone had to do pixel art of those things, right? Like how does the mod work?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Snollygoster posted:

How is this happening. Surely the fossil riders aren't randomly generated, someone had to do pixel art of those things, right? Like how does the mod work?

The program has a huge archive of 'sprite bits' things like arms and legs and whatnot from the dominions sprites. It randomly mixes and matches bits and pieces of sprites to generate new units, so yes those fossil riders are completely 100% randomly generated.

If you're wondering; it currently has the bits for Atlanteans, Humans, Hoburgs, Abysians, Caelians and Agarthans as well as most generic units. The creator is still adding more sprite bits to the archives to increase the range of random things the generator can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

People actually like wraparound maps?
Yes, they're great. Maps with corners are bad. Really bad for 4+ of the players, so long as the people in the relative centre are going to work together and just push the rest of the map out to the corners and then clean up.

@RNG Nation Chat, Elmokki extracted the sprites.

• Locked thread