Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I didn't mind most of MoF, but the generic bombs really killed it for me. I managed to beat both SA and UFO before it, simply because I didn't have the motivation to play it. Uh... for reference I was playing MoF since release day, since it came out shortly after I discovered Touhou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I lost track of the times Reimu straight up said she's attacking people for no reason whatsoever throughout the games.

Also I'm starting to feel I'm the only one who prefers the games since MoF over the games before MoF. That or all y'all are girl-shmup hipsters.

Troublesome youkai hunting

Volt Catfish posted:

You remind me of somebody else. He was also a man with really bad Touhou opinions...
RIP Rising Grandpa

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
Y'all doubted me, but I just got a 1cc for PCB Normal with ReimuA. Two extra lives to spare too! I actually tried ReimuB but I started screwing up horribly. I think the reason I like homing bullets is that they allow me to just calmly dodge bullets wherever I am, whereas if I have a narrow shooting range, I worry about getting under the boss all the time. Although when I 1cc'd EoSD a few months ago, I did best with MarisaA? I don't know, I guess I play every game a little differently.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Reoxygenation posted:

I'm poo poo at the games but SA is the best because music.

Same here.

Though being poo poo at the games has it's bonuses, like never getting into silly slapfights over game mechanics :v:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

SirPhoebos posted:

Same here.

Though being poo poo at the games has it's bonuses, like never getting into silly slapfights over game mechanics :v:

Being poo poo at the games, I cannot beat Sariel on HRTP. But at least it takes until stage 4 in Mystic Square for me to use my first continue :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Being poo poo at the games, I cannot beat Sariel on HRTP. But at least it takes until stage 4 in Mystic Square for me to use my first continue :v:

Don't feel too bad. HRTP is hard. And kind of poo poo. Good music, though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think I'm killed more by the Ying Yang orb than by actual danmaku. Also kicking things and getting stuck in place since I have no clue when to press Z to shoot those things upwards. I just slide and kick everywhere for the most part.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The results of the 2014 popularity poll have been released. As expected, The Shrine Maiden of Paradise leads the pack. The most interesting one in the top ten is Koishi, who jumped about ten spots to land in number three. Both Marisa and Flandre improved their ranking, while Remilia slipped backwards.

Also Septette for a Dead Princess won the music poll, big deal.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:livintrope: 56!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I swear there already was a popularity poll where Koishi jumped into third pace, shortly after HM's release. Are we sure on this?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you ignore the usual all-stars, Koishi won both characters and music. Wow.

Also Sanae is 11th again. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Edit: Nothing

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Congratulations to the Aki sandwich on becoming dick flavored.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why is Momiji so popular? All of the other unimportant midbosses are around the 60's but she almost broke into the top 20. I'm so confused. :psyduck:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised that Sukuna's theme broke the top 10 for music.

It looks like there significantly fewer votes than the 9th poll. I guess all the casual fans are "jumping ship" for Kantai Collection. Shameful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

I swear there already was a popularity poll where Koishi jumped into third pace, shortly after HM's release. Are we sure on this?

That was another poll hosted by nicovideo. This one is hosted by the Japanese Touhou wiki, and considered more "official" because they've been doing it for 10 years now. The fact that Koishi has a similar placement in both just means that the same people are voting.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I just love how the Aki Sandwich continues to be "a thing."

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Koishi is number 3. All is right with the world.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kokoro ranked pretty high up. I didn't think she was that popular.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Once again the best character wins. This is a great day for democracy

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Devour or Fire posted:

It looks like there significantly fewer votes than the 9th poll. I guess all the casual fans are "jumping ship" for Kantai Collection. Shameful.
You're one to talk with your avatar :v:

The most common theory I've heard for the lower turnout was that the time between the poll announcement and the actual start was shorter than usual. I can't say if that was true or not, or, if so, why they decided to do it like that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

I'm surprised that Sukuna's theme broke the top 10 for music.

I predict there will be a Kancolle thread in a few months but even then that game is too shameful to admit playing no one must know about me and Tenryuu. Also Remilia getting knocked down to 7th and Yuuka down to 13th, shaking my head.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

gently caress is that kancolle thing I keep seeing weeaboos talk about anyway

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Its a browser game with WWII warships as anime girls.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Basically it's considered competition in the "huge number of anthropomorphized female characters" corner of the otaku market. Maybe it's just my bias, but it feels more like a cynical cash-in than Touhou does, and appeals more to otaku interests like school swimsuits and whatnot. In canon I mean; fanart will always be fanart.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why is Momiji so popular? All of the other unimportant midbosses are around the 60's but she almost broke into the top 20. I'm so confused. :psyduck:

Never understood Momiji's popularity either. Probably has something to do with being a furry with a sword.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tengu Supremacists.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Touhou fandom loves characters who take themselves too seriously because it's very easy to make fun of them. And it doesn't hurt that despite being canonically a wolf, Momiji's hair makes her look like a big fluffy Spitz.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I don't really get the appeal of Moe! Momiji either, but I must admit that the Touhou M-1 Grand Prix segment where Momiji tries to do a grandma impression is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

By the way, someone I follow on Tumblr has been putting together Touhou-themed tea blends you can buy on Adagio. I've tried the Kaguya and Flandre teas and they're good! If you get the Flandre tea make sure to shake up the bag a lot, when it was shipped to me all the raspberries and blood orange pieces were on top and the rooibos filtered to the bottom. I'm waiting warmly for sampler sets.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Touhou fandom loves characters who take themselves too seriously because it's very easy to make fun of them. And it doesn't hurt that despite being canonically a wolf, Momiji's hair makes her look like a big fluffy Spitz.

But does she take herself seriously? As a midboss without dialogue the only thing we know about her is that she and Aya dislike each other and Hatate thinks she's pretty cool. I suppose it's just another example of how the Touhou Fandom basically invents personalities for most of the characters. I'm just more confused about how Momiji is so much more popular than the other midbosses.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Momiji doesn't have a character sprite so fanartists can draw her boobs as big as they want. That's pretty much it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Momiji doesn't have a character sprite so fanartists can draw her boobs as big as they want. That's pretty much it.

I don't understand; you mean there's not a sprite of Momiji on the screen when you play her stage in MoF?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

I don't understand; you mean there's not a sprite of Momiji on the screen when you play her stage in MoF?

Well she has a sprite but no portrait

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I mean character portrait. She does have a sprite, but it's tiny so you can't see any details.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can see that she has a big fuckoff sword, what else do you need

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But does she take herself seriously? As a midboss without dialogue the only thing we know about her is that she and Aya dislike each other and Hatate thinks she's pretty cool. I suppose it's just another example of how the Touhou Fandom basically invents personalities for most of the characters. I'm just more confused about how Momiji is so much more popular than the other midbosses.

She also plays shogi. There's an article written about her and I think it has some quotes. Stuff about how she's disappointed to hear that she's not the first person to come up with new shogi variants, or something like that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Weirdo fanartists love dogs and Momiji has report with a already popular character and group. As well as coming from a popular game.

Contrast to a bucket, a pair of isolated goddesses, a librarian and a ghost consort or whatever she was.

She also actually comes up in the official works some, too. Koakuma does too and she's pretty on up there.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

She also plays shogi. There's an article written about her and I think it has some quotes. Stuff about how she's disappointed to hear that she's not the first person to come up with new shogi variants, or something like that.

If Momiji played Go she would become my new favourite.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Weirdo fanartists love dogs and Momiji has report with a already popular character and group. As well as coming from a popular game.

Contrast to a bucket, a pair of isolated goddesses, a librarian and a ghost consort or whatever she was.

She also actually comes up in the official works some, too. Koakuma does too and she's pretty on up there.

I haven't read much of the official works outside of some random chapters of WAHH and Oriental Sacred Place, so i'll take your word for it. I'm pretty sure Koakuma doesn't appear at all outside of crowd shots though.

Also, Tojiko is clearly the best dialogue-less Mid-Boss. Because even though Futo killed her she doesn't care at all, since being a ghost is hella cool. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Basically it's considered competition in the "huge number of anthropomorphized female characters" corner of the otaku market. Maybe it's just my bias, but it feels more like a cynical cash-in than Touhou does, and appeals more to otaku interests like school swimsuits and whatnot. In canon I mean; fanart will always be fanart.

I don't know anything about Keitai Colander or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that any game with school swimsuits in it could be anything but a cynical cash-in.

Unless it's a fun game that just has lovely art direction, I guess. There are plenty of those too.