Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Not always but I have had classes where presentations had to go for 20 minutes or you'd lose marks. There would be weeks on end of nothing but presentations. Basically the prof ran out of easy-to-get course material and just filled the rest with our BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

Wait, the entire lecture is someone else's presentation?

I had a class a while back very much like that. 3/4 days it was "ok read X chapter, Y group you present it." You got bonus points for doing harder stuff not in the textbook but it was probably the one class I learned the least in. I later taught myself the course material but honestly, if there were a possibility of refunding the money I spent on those credits you're goddamned right I would have.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
I had a sociology class like that every class was a 1-2 hour guest speaker then the rest o the 4 hour class was student presentations each 20 minutes minimum

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I had that in an acting class, but that's pretty standard. That sounds horrible.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Austrian mook posted:

I had that in an acting class, but that's pretty standard. That sounds horrible.

oh it was , I was the first presenter, and there were no tests at all in this class so after week 1 all my work was done and i just surfed the internet for the next 15 weeks still got the A.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Aramark.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

How Rude posted:

Funny thing is, our Student Union has a really nice piano in the commons and most of the time there is some student playing a very beautiful piece of music in the afternoon. I enjoy it. :)

University of Minnesota? :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
My History Teacher. Holy christ. He has us doing 3rd year work in a 1st year course. What the hell? We don't have 2 normal essays, we have to write one half, and the the second one a month later of a 5000 word essay, that needs a primary source, in both halfs of the essay and tons of other poo poo and jesus loving christ. I have other classes man, I get you want to excel and be the best professor you can be but good god I'd really just like a simple assignment, is that too much to ask?

E: http://bellejar.ca/2014/02/28/rape-culture-at-the-university-of-ottawa/

Also that's about my university I guess.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

MoreLikeTen posted:

I loving love classes where you get a topic to present on, and every lecture is someone's presentation. Nothing like paying out the rear end to be taught by your fellow students.

Oh Christ, this. This is what some of my German classes are like. Nothing like spending twenty minutes of class time like listening to someone else's ten-minute presentation - it's not lengthened by an interesting Q&A section or genuinely engrossing subject material, no, it's so long because the student giving the presentation speaks at a glacial pace and decides, upon five seconds of agonising reflection, that the past participle of "denken" is "gedanken" - this, despite years of university-level language courses. And they're reading off a sheet, which really, really makes a student presentation glow, let me tell you, and their accompanying powerpoint presentation contains Word '98-level WordArt because German, as a language, can surely only be improved by being written in rainbow-coloured drop-shadowed 72-point allcaps Impact. Luckily I am not paying too much for this, and I also had a tutor who gave me lots of German-language books to read - a much better use of my time than listening to one of these totlangweiliger presentations.

Also, why does the following always happen?

1. I decide to go to the library in the hopes that a quiet, studious atmosphere will help me get my work done quickly
2. Because of the layout I have to sit at a massive table just so I've got somewhere to plug in my laptop
3. A bunch of students inevitably sit at the table. Not to work - I wouldn't mind that, having other people around me working. Even talking about the work they're doing, that's fine. But they've tragically misread "Library" as "Café", and it turns out what they really want to do is discuss last night's football results or how big a bitch one of their supposed "friends" is, in unnaturally loud voices. In the library. There's a café three minutes' walk away.
4. I have to put in my iPod to drown out the chatter, even though I hate working while listening to music, simply because it's more pleasant than listening to other people being lovely

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

photinus posted:

1. I decide to go to the library in the hopes that a quiet, studious atmosphere will help me get my work done quickly
2. Because of the layout I have to sit at a massive table just so I've got somewhere to plug in my laptop
3. A bunch of students inevitably sit at the table. Not to work - I wouldn't mind that, having other people around me working. Even talking about the work they're doing, that's fine. But they've tragically misread "Library" as "Café", and it turns out what they really want to do is discuss last night's football results or how big a bitch one of their supposed "friends" is, in unnaturally loud voices. In the library. There's a café three minutes' walk away.
4. I have to put in my iPod to drown out the chatter, even though I hate working while listening to music, simply because it's more pleasant than listening to other people being lovely

Have you tried politely asking them to leave? I know that at my campus's library there are different kinds of study areas. Normal talking voices are allowed in non-quiet areas, while there are quiet areas on like, the second floor that require you keep your voice to at worst a whisper. I supposed it depends on the campus.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Kavak posted:

Like 3/4. Its a senior seminar on metabolic pathways, so not the most complicated poo poo in the world, but every time someone says something, I can't help but worry that they're slightly wrong, and I'll be remembering the wrong fact about basic biology forever.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Kavak posted:

Like 3/4. Its a senior seminar on metabolic pathways, so not the most complicated poo poo in the world, but every time someone says something, I can't help but worry that they're slightly wrong, and I'll be remembering the wrong fact about basic biology forever.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

N. Senada posted:

What's "try the boobie"?

I actually investigated this today, just for you!

It's some kind of breast cancer awareness thing. Trying The Boobie apparently meant being invited to squeeze a faux breast so as to learn proper lump-hunting techniques, and then playing a nipple-themed Pin The Tail On The Donkey where you can win a Breast Cancer keyring.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

How Rude posted:

Have you tried politely asking them to leave? I know that at my campus's library there are different kinds of study areas. Normal talking voices are allowed in non-quiet areas, while there are quiet areas on like, the second floor that require you keep your voice to at worst a whisper. I supposed it depends on the campus.

It's not so much that I mind people talking, I mostly mind them yapping on about how Emily is such a bitch and Man U have really lost their edge instead of "Right, let's brainstorm this group project", which is what that area of the library is for, right? That, and the quiet areas either need to be booked, don't have sufficient sockets, don't have the German-language magazines and newspapers I need or have people talking about that bitch Emily and the shittiness of Man U in them anyway.

And yeah, I'm also a bit of a pussy and imagine that they'll react to my asking them to take it elsewhere with a "You're not the boss of me" attitude. But they're twenty, not fourteen, so maybe...

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Sounds like you need to move to Germany mein Herr.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
When did you kids all get cars? I'm back at school pursuing an advanced degree after a long while and there is no parking anywhere. I swear to christ if you live in the dorms and drive to class I'm gonna guess your Twitter password and tweet dick pics to your professors

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My prof likes Doge. She made a powerpoint slide about "The influence of Doge". OMFG.

It wasn't meant to be serious, just a visual example of a presentation poster, but still. I've posted about her before. She has mentioned Reddit, Imgur, and Tumblr in class.

All I could do when that face was staring out from the screen was :stare:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

photinus posted:

Don't encourage this behavior by ignoring it.

It happens because you let it happen, don't tolerate it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Picnic Princess posted:

My prof likes Doge. She made a powerpoint slide about "The influence of Doge". OMFG.

It wasn't meant to be serious, just a visual example of a presentation poster, but still. I've posted about her before. She has mentioned Reddit, Imgur, and Tumblr in class.

All I could do when that face was staring out from the screen was :stare:

Wow.

Also, various student advisors: get your poo poo together and figure out if I need English 400 to graduate! Seriously, I'm putting together my schedule for my last two semesters tomorrow, what the gently caress?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Who are these people that sit at the front of a lecture hall and just browse Facebook?

Like it's not enough that you aren't even listening, you're showing everyone behind you that you're not listening?!?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FutonForensic posted:

Who are these people that sit at the front of a lecture hall and just browse Facebook?

Like it's not enough that you aren't even listening, you're showing everyone behind you that you're not listening?!?

I on and off browse SA during lectures, didn't know that was against the rules.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

I on and off browse SA during lectures, didn't know that was against the rules.

Yeah but do you sit at the front and do it the whole lecture?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FutonForensic posted:

Yeah but do you sit at the front and do it the whole lecture?

Probably once or twice? I usually sit by the wall in the middle of the lecture hall, I never really looked at what other people do on their laptops

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Probably once or twice? I usually sit by the wall in the middle of the lecture hall, I never really looked at what other people do on their laptops

Fair enough. :shrug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FutonForensic posted:

Fair enough. :shrug:

I don't pay a lot of attention during lectures, honestly, I'm sort of a lovely student.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I often have a browser running in class because I'm chipping away at other classes at the same time plus I've been dealing with a lot of time-sensitive e-mails these days. It usually has Facebook in one of the tabs, just out of bad habit. I only go there if I have a notification though. I should close the tab, but I'm horribly addicted. :(

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Austrian mook posted:

I don't pay a lot of attention during lectures, honestly, I'm sort of a lovely student.

why bother going then? Just do something else with your time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

N. Senada posted:

why bother going then? Just do something else with your time.

They dock your grade or give you an incomplete for poor attendance these days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Our university supposedly forces professors to make attendance at least 5% of the grade and take roll every day, but I've found only about half actually follow that rule. Only a handful make attendance part of the grade (and it is never more than 5%) and out of those only a handful actually bother to take roll. As long as you show up occasionally and don't just vanish off the face of the Earth except for tests, it's basically a free 5% of your grade.

Of course, luck always has it that the most insufferable classes make the biggest deal out of attendance. :argh:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Generally, if it was a big lecture hall class and the instructor just read verbatim off a powerpoint that got posted online, I never bothered showing up except for tests. There would be no point in coming.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is bullshit, if I miss more than two classes it's an instant fail. Each class only meets once a week, so there are fewer classes, but still.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah I decided to skip the first week of classes for one course recently, done it dozens of times before with little to no consequence. However this time I got dropped from the course on the spot, new school policy apparently. My fault entirely of course but goddamn people at least give a warning or make the policy change a little more public.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
The writing department at my school, which has two classes everyone must take, has the strictest rules of any department. No laptops, strict about cell phones, 4 absences is a drop, even if they're excused, a higher work load than the rest of my classes put together, and the classes are all in the lovely building with tiny desks smashed into a too small room.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

The writing department at my school, which has two classes everyone must take, has the strictest rules of any department. No laptops, strict about cell phones, 4 absences is a drop, even if they're excused, a higher work load than the rest of my classes put together, and the classes are all in the lovely building with tiny desks smashed into a too small room.

That sounds exactly like the writing course I'm in now! Introduce research paper on Monday, rough draft due Friday, homework every day and in class writing every day. Plus my favorite, at least one per review a week and group discussions. Any opinion not extremely far to the left leads to a crazy rant from the instructor. I'm taking 3 upper level courses in my major and the amount of time I spend on those 3 combined is much less than my writing course. My worst was still an art history elective online. That lady was insane. What I thought would be an easy A was instead 6 hours of videos and pages of writing every week.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Plus showing up everyday, even if you're half-assing it, goes a long way towards getting your professor to give you some lee-way on things. They're way more likely to help you out if you come to class all the time over never showing up and then suddenly asking for favors. One of the biggest differences between freshman and upperclassman in my opinion is uppers know to just show up as much as possible. Even if you're hungover as hell just make it to class.

I had a class one time with a fairly easy busywork group project. The project was mandatory and not getting a grade for it auto-failed the class for you. When we were given the project our professor told us that under no circumstances should we come to him with any sort of group issues. It was up to us to work it out on our own. Both other people in my group ended up dropping the class so I did the project alone. He tried to not give me a grade because, 'you can't truly understand the lessons of this project if you weren't part of the team.' You told us not to talk to you about group issues you rear end in a top hat. I ended up just annoying the poo poo out of him until he agreed to just give it a read over and he gave me an A because it was really high quality.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SarutosZero posted:

One of the biggest differences between freshman and upperclassman in my opinion is uppers know to just show up as much as possible. Even if you're hungover as hell just make it to class.

Perfect attendance earns you a lot of brownie points. One guy in my program showed up to class the morning after his birthday drunk, absolutely reeking of liquor and sex, dressed in gym shorts and a t-shirt that read "I gently caress ON THE FIRST DATE." I guarantee he's better off than the guy who sits behind him that missed that class period. Well, grade-wise, anyway.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I "multitask" to put in lightly in every class that allows me a laptop, and almost every class has an attendence policy of some sort, so I can't rightfully condemn any other slackers, as long as they're quiet. Nothing pisses me off more than people who decided to talk over the professor.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Please don't remove half our math library to make room for more classrooms. We have an entire building full of math classrooms; we only have one math library.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Please don't remove half our math library to make room for more classrooms. We have an entire building full of math classrooms; we only have one math library.

I've never heard of a library dedicated to mathematics before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My department lost half its machine shop to architecture studios. Then they got rid of the other half because it was too loud for the architects.

• Locked thread