Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

sebmojo posted:

In the past year I:

Masturbated a lot.

That's on my to-do list but I keep forgetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

sebmojo posted:

In the past year I:

Masturbated a lot.

Just put that as "Hands-on genetic transfer technology" on your résumé.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

In the past year I have:

• Killed or maimed zero people with a shopping cart at my retail job.
  • Being groomed at my primary job to be the supervisor of my group, edging out coworkers who have worked in the group for years before me.
  • Interviewed at several different jobs, having multiple interviews for one but was just edged out. It must have been that I did not immediately write a thank you note to the interviewer.
  • Some masturbation was involved; it did not involve comic books or oracles, however.

I think I need to masturbate more onto shopping carts or something, this list of mine is pretty lackluster. Any suggestions?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dex posted:

I'm proud of you and hope this year is even more productive.

Thx mum.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think you'll fit right in at Sears

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Arian_Samurai posted:

I think you'll fit right in at Sears

Agreed - Sears has a whole section dedicated to tools that only work for a week before breaking down.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah you didn't get the Sears job. It's a cashier position. You would know right away if you got hired because they would tell you to drug test asap and come back immediately for computer training. I worked there when I was 18 as a sales associate and the cashiers were high school kids or 50 year old ladies.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah you didn't get the Sears job. It's a cashier position. You would know right away if you got hired because they would tell you to drug test asap and come back immediately for computer training. I worked there when I was 18 as a sales associate and the cashiers were high school kids or 50 year old ladies.

You mean Benny didn't get the job where he awkwardly slipped a written-up thank-you note to the interviewer after it was over?

I'm shocked.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Benny needs to post a YouTube video of him doing a mock interview. I think that's the only way to help him figure out what he's doing wrong.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Dude benny seriously apply at a gas station. There is literally no way you're not qualified enough to work at a gas station, and there is no way you could possibly get fired.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny the Snake, can you give us examples of how you were a good cashier?

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Uncle Salty posted:

Benny the Snake, can you give us examples of how you were a good cashier?

To his credit, he did say he managed to push a lot of Target credit cards when he had that gig, which is definitely something that would look good to the Sears manager. It's a shame he couldn't bring it up without explaining why he was dismissed from Target.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

lexan posted:

To his credit, he did say he managed to push a lot of Target credit cards when he had that gig, which is definitely something that would look good to the Sears manager. It's a shame he couldn't bring it up without explaining why he was dismissed from Target.

That's bullshit. To say that he couldn't bring it up is stupid on his part. If you're a good writer of fiction you're a good liar. Lie the gently caress out of that poo poo. I have been fired from two jobs before and I always list them on my resume because 1.)they're not going to call them for a reference and 2.) they were not large portions of my employment history.

Just lie. Sears isn't going to call every previous job that every person who is attempting to apply to them had.

Lie out your rear end Benny. Lie all the time. Any time that you don't know what to say just lie.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

No Longer Flaky posted:

That's bullshit. To say that he couldn't bring it up is stupid on his part. If you're a good writer of fiction you're a good liar. Lie the gently caress out of that poo poo. I have been fired from two jobs before and I always list them on my resume because 1.)they're not going to call them for a reference and 2.) they were not large portions of my employment history.

Just lie. Sears isn't going to call every previous job that every person who is attempting to apply to them had.

Lie out your rear end Benny. Lie all the time. Any time that you don't know what to say just lie.

Reminder that Benny's idea of a good lie was calling in with a hangover.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dex posted:

Reminder that Benny's idea of a good lie was calling in with a hangover.

Hmmm, I'm still catching up on what Benny has said so far but that doesn't sound too different from when I called in sick to work once with "Diarrhea". My boss said that I needed a doctors note. Who the gently caress asks for a doctors note for Diarrhea? I guess Harris Teeter managers do.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
The hangover was the lie, he was planning to tell his manager that.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dex posted:

The hangover was the lie, he was planning to tell his manager that.

Lol, holy poo poo. Welp maybe lie but ask the thread first if the lie is stupid or not.

Never call out for a hangover. Just FYI everyone reading this thread.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

No Longer Flaky posted:

Hmmm, I'm still catching up on what Benny has said so far but that doesn't sound too different from when I called in sick to work once with "Diarrhea". My boss said that I needed a doctors note. Who the gently caress asks for a doctors note for Diarrhea? I guess Harris Teeter managers do.

I assume they suspected you where telling a lie.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

CellarDweller posted:

I assume they suspected you where telling a lie.

Yeah but I stood tall and leaned in. They never asked for the doctors note when I showed up the next day. I told them really gross poop stories too. Also the only reason I used that stupid lie is because my friend who had worked for the company for a year before I had told me that that was a fool-proof call out reason. He said they had never questioned him for it before. I'm not sure if he was loving with me or not, but I did it.

Later I was fired from that job because they wouldn't change my schedule when I asked them to cut back my hours because I was in high school and needed to spend more time on my classes. When they wouldn't change my hours I started only showing up for shifts that I felt like working no matter without calling out of shifts I didn't want to work haha. I still listed them as a previous employer when going for the next job because no one in retail calls the previous employer to check. Literally no job in retail has ever checked up on it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

No Longer Flaky posted:

Literally no job in retail has ever checked up on it.

That's not exactly true. Most will call the former employer, but employers only confirm if you worked there and for how long. They will not say anything else for legal reasons.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Ms. Happiness posted:

Benny needs to post a YouTube video of him doing a mock interview. I think that's the only way to help him figure out what he's doing wrong.

Yesterday I wrote up two posts here -both of which I binned- essentially asking the same thing.

There has got to be something fundamental we're missing, something extra-ordinary about his physical and/or vocal presence that we don't know about, because otherwise I'm at a loss as to why he can't get even a most basic job after so many interviews :shrug:

Maybe if we see and hear him, we might pinpoint a specific problem. Maybe he has open, weeping sores on his face? Maybe he has a lisp or a stutter or speaks in wheezing, drooling breaths? Maybe he is genuinely 600 lbs? These are examples of things that, right or wrong, would turn off an employer, but if we knew about, we could help address.

Or maybe it's something beyond our control, like a dead twin growing out of his chest which, if removed, would kill him.

Either way, we need to know.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Croc Monster posted:

Yesterday I wrote up two posts here -both of which I binned- essentially asking the same thing.

There has got to be something fundamental we're missing, something extra-ordinary about his physical and/or vocal presence that we don't know about, because otherwise I'm at a loss as to why he can't get even a most basic job after so many interviews :shrug:

Maybe if we see and hear him, we might pinpoint a specific problem. Maybe he has open, weeping sores on his face? Maybe he has a lisp or a stutter or speaks in wheezing, drooling breaths? Maybe he is genuinely 600 lbs? These are examples of things that, right or wrong, would turn off an employer, but if we knew about, we could help address.

Or maybe it's something beyond our control, like a dead twin growing out of his chest which, if removed, would kill him.

Either way, we need to know.

We need to.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

sebmojo posted:

We need to.

What's wrong with Benny, precious? What's wrong with Benny, precious?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The thing is, Benny has gotten jobs before. Jobs where he didn't hand a thank you note directly to the interviewer like five minutes after the interview was done. He's just really, really talented at getting fired. It honestly sounds like he interviews OK, but the actual jobhaving experience is what's beyond him.

Benny, maybe you should start a Kickstarter for a book, then end up burning all the copies two years later when people ask why you still haven't shipped them?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

No Longer Flaky posted:

Look, if I were to lie about Target, tell them that I was let go because of hours or some other reason, they'd follow up and call them. They'd see me as a liar and decide not to hire me. I was let go from Target because of integrity issues: I didn't tell management about the incident and they weren't willing to risk further employment to someone who was bound to lie or not tell them anything. I obviously have issues with integrity. But the way I see it, it's better to not say anything than to lie in the first place.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 3, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Benny the Snake posted:

Look, if I were to lie about Target, tell them that I was let go because of hours or some other innocuous reason, they'd follow up and call them. They'd see me as a liar and not hire me on the spot. I was let go from Target because of integrity issues: I didn't tell management about the incident and they weren't willing to risk further employment to someone who was bound to lie or not tell them anything. Honesty is more than just a word or a concept: it's a conviction to me. Maybe if I was more honest, I would've saved my job at Target. But I now know to be honest on the job and when finding a job.

By leaving Target off your resume and applications you fill you, you're lying. I'm not saying you should put it on (because you shouldn't) but don't delude yourself into thinking you're being honest.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Benny the Snake posted:

Look, if I were to lie about Target, tell them that I was let go because of hours or some other reason, they'd follow up and call them. They'd see me as a liar and decide not to hire me. I was let go from Target because of integrity issues: I didn't tell management about the incident and they weren't willing to risk further employment to someone who was bound to lie or not tell them anything. Honesty is more than just a word or a concept: it's a personal conviction. Maybe if I was more honest, I would've saved my job at Target. But I now know to be honest on the job and when finding a job.

I don't know who you're lying to when you post garbage like this, but cool.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Bloody Queef posted:

By leaving Target off your resume and applications you fill you, you're lying. I'm not saying you should put it on (because you shouldn't) but don't delude yourself into thinking you're being honest.

It may be lying on applications that ask for job history, but it's not lying on a resume. A résumé is a marketing document, not a background check.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Smash your head repeatedly with shopping carts until your brain is fixed

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Eris posted:

It may be lying on applications that ask for job history, but it's not lying on a resume. A résumé is a marketing document, not a background check.

Good point, but Sears probably has an application that asks for a detailed job history

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.

Benny the Snake posted:

Look, if I were to lie about Target, tell them that I was let go because of hours or some other reason, they'd follow up and call them. They'd see me as a liar and decide not to hire me. I was let go from Target because of integrity issues: I didn't tell management about the incident and they weren't willing to risk further employment to someone who was bound to lie or not tell them anything. I obviously have issues with integrity. But the way I see it, it's better to not say anything than to lie in the first place.

You need to learn to lie by omission with misdirection!

Manager: "So you worked here at target for a short time, why did you leave?"

You: "I decided to focus solely on (blank) instead of working so I could put my full effort into one task."
"I didn't like the way their management was structured, I felt they were micromanaging employees which encumbered general efficiency. What is the management structure here?"
"The people at (blank) were nice but the lack of an adequate leader made it difficult to work, how do you motivate and encourage your employees?"
etc...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Chobdab posted:

You need to learn to lie by omission with misdirection!

Manager: "So you worked here at target for a short time, why did you leave?"

You: "I decided to focus solely on (blank) instead of working so I could put my full effort into one task."
"I didn't like the way their management was structured, I felt they were micromanaging employees which encumbered general efficiency. What is the management structure here?"
"The people at (blank) were nice but the lack of an adequate leader made it difficult to work, how do you motivate and encourage your employees?"
etc...

I would not hire someone who gave any of those answers. They give off huge "pain in the rear end" vibes.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I remember putting Target on my application to Sears. If they should ask about what happened, I'll tell the truth. Better they hear it from me first than for me to lie and them to find out from Target HR.

I'm a liar by nature. Lying is as easy as breathing to me and it should be: I'm trying to be a writer, after all. But I'm glad that I'm not a habitual liar. I'm smart enough to know when to lie and when to tell the truth. In almost all cases, I'm honest and forthright. I've been honest with you guys because what would I get by lying to you? Nothing but bad things. Lying always manages to bite me in the rear end so I try to be careful about it.

And just to let you know, if I won't tell the truth then I just won't say anything. There's plenty that I've been holding back from you guys because it's in my best interests to do so. It just works out better that way.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 3, 2014

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Benny the Snake posted:

Better they hear it from me first than for me to lie and them to find out from Target HR.

No one will ever hear it from Target HR. No one will even ask why you where fired. Target may not even say that you where fired.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny was actually dishonorably discharged from the military, is a convicted felon, and a registered sex offender. Only that trifecta could explain why he seems completely unable to get a job.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm a liar by nature. Lying is as easy as breathing to me

Benny, if that's true, you need to see a loving pulmonologist right now, because you are a terrible liar.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm smart enough to know when to lie and when to tell the truth.

You have demonstrated this not to be true, hangover dude.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

I remember putting Target on my application to Sears. If they should ask about what happened, I'll tell the truth. Better they hear it from me first than for me to lie and them to find out from Target HR.

I'm a liar by nature. Lying is as easy as breathing to me and it should be: I'm a writer, after all.

You're an awful liar, Benny. I don't believe for a second that you're a writer.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Benny the Snake posted:

I remember putting Target on my application to Sears.

Then for the love of god, why didn't you tell the Sears manager that you used to work at Target and had a good record pushing the credit card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Better they hear it from me first than for me to lie and them to find out from Target HR.

No HR for a company of that size will ever give details on that, it opens them up to a wide range of liabilities that they would rather not pursue. All they will confirm is that you were once an employee, and for what period of time that you were an employee. It doesn't matter if you were a stellar employee or if you just spent all day running over small children in shopping carts, No retail company would ever say why you left, if they would hire you again, etc.

• Locked thread