Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
When Beef fights with Molly, it's because of his divorce.
When Teodor gets along well with Penny, it's because of his divorce.

Make up your loving minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SacrificialGoat posted:

You're seriously dense if you think both scenarios can't share the same source.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

RZApublican posted:

And then Onstad makes the entire arc pay off by having this be the next comic.

Teodore wakes up tomorrow in a tub full of ice with "CALL 911" written in fair-trade organic hemp lip-balm on the mirror. He is bleeding from two neat incisions on his back.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Jesus her eyebrows and mouth and Lyle's response are so CAD.

I felt the same way but I couldn't put it into the right words. You did. Thank you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A lot of people are calling bullshit on that Achewood update, dude.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Achewood Thread 13: Nowadays? Largely nonsense.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

boo_radley posted:

Teodore wakes up tomorrow in a tub full of ice with "CALL 911" written in fair-trade organic hemp lip-balm on the mirror. He is bleeding from two neat incisions on his back.

There's something very weird about being considerate enough to leave the person in a tub of ice with a note, but cold enough to take both kidneys.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SacrificialGoat posted:

It would be really nice if we didn't have to read every single strip through the lens of "Onstad was once divorced, guys!"

Like, I'm pretty sure Onstad has moved on by now. Maybe the thread could as well?

I think this one falls flat but that's because there isn't a punchline, just Teodor getting his mack on. I've enjoyed all the other ones, and enjoyed even more how goons have a hard time dealing with the fact that each character's cameo prior was to have them come in with their full ability to cockblock Teodor and each time he makes it through.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
ray and nice pete have yet to show their cockblocking chops

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sigma-X posted:

It would be really nice if we didn't have to read every single strip through the lens of "Onstad was once divorced, guys!"

Like, I'm pretty sure Onstad has moved on by now. Maybe the thread could as well?

It's just funny that the dude was so obsessed with Achewood, his wife divorced him.
Since then he has done food review columns, tried to get Achewood turned into an animated show, and now is going to make his own craft beer!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's just funny that the dude was so obsessed with Achewood, his wife divorced him.

Unless I missed a juicy article along the way, I don't think we ever heard just why Onstad got divorced.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Okay, I am sure it was something other than him completely obsessing over the comic.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
She was pissed that she never got her cookbook.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, I am sure it was something other than him completely obsessing over the comic.

:ughh:

Difficult as it may be to believe, Onstad has a private life to which we were not privy, and it's very likely something other than a webcomic about cats was the cause of his divorce.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In any case these are a long way from "cherub standoff at the gargoyle corral". The arcs wouldn't be so bad if there were some good one off strips once in a while.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

:ughh:

Difficult as it may be to believe, Onstad has a private life to which we were not privy, and it's very likely something other than a webcomic about cats was the cause of his divorce.

He said himself that he was burning himself out. Constantly agonizing over the right turn of phrase. Get everything juuust right.
I'm not going to dig through all the interviews and what not to get the bits. Dude spent more time drawing cat cocks than he did with his family
but hey, you can do whatever you want in life.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Johnny Aztec posted:

He said himself that he was burning himself out. Constantly agonizing over the right turn of phrase. Get everything juuust right.
I'm not going to dig through all the interviews and what not to get the bits. Dude spent more time drawing cat cocks than he did with his family
but hey, you can do whatever you want in life.
Didn't the updates slow to a trickle and even completely stop for a while during the divorce?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No one should get divorced and burned out over their webcomic but at the same time Achewood is, over large spans of its run, leaps and bounds ahead of its peers in terms of right turns of phrase and things being just right so I'm having a hard time really coming down on one side of the issue.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

...so I'm having a hard time really coming down on one side of the issue.

There's no issue, just a bunch of idiot goons who want to speculate on a man's private life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Author

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Death of the Author" wasn't a scientific discovery, dude. You can't just drop a reference to it and go "hey you're not allowed to look at writing this way anymore, didn't you hear?".

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hate the achewood comic. There are different strips than in 2007

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

"Death of the Author" wasn't a scientific discovery, dude. You can't just drop a reference to it and go "hey you're not allowed to look at writing this way anymore, didn't you hear?".

The irony of you trying to interpret my intentions is not lost on me.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I give no shits about Onstads intentions as an author. I am just legitimately deriving more entertainment at this point from laughing at his unfunny and overwrought comics and his failed life than I am from the "jokes" in the comics themselves.

I know that might be heartless and cruel, but hey, this is the internet and he is probably never gonna see out derisive posts. So victimless crime, right?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Since then he has done food review columns, tried to get Achewood turned into an animated show, and now is going to make his own craft beer!

Soda. He is going to leave his job as a food critic so that he can make craft soda.

Having lived in Portland, I can affirm that this is one of the city's blessings and curses-- you can do the stupidest, niche-type poo poo and expect to make a living out of it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

a starwar betamax posted:

I know that might be heartless and cruel, but hey, this is the internet and he is probably never gonna see out derisive posts. So victimless crime, right?

It's like punching someone in the dark.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Unless I missed a juicy article along the way, I don't think we ever heard just why Onstad got divorced.

Maybe that's because it's none of our loving business.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JoshTheStampede posted:

Maybe that's because it's none of our loving business.

He posts comics for free online and he took a bunch of people's money once so I'm pretty sure the public legally owns him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Bongo Bill posted:

A lot of people are calling bullshit on that Achewood update, dude.

Ray looks mad at the start of that and I'm not sure why.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Are you both trying to be funny and failing miserably, or do you legitimately think these things? Either way, please stop. This is not the CAD thread part 2, stop acting like it is.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

a starwar betamax posted:

I give no shits about Onstads intentions as an author. I am just legitimately deriving more entertainment at this point from laughing at his unfunny and overwrought comics and his failed life than I am from the "jokes" in the comics themselves.

I don't know if you are kidding or not but Onstad has an SA account so he could very well see this thread.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't know if you are kidding or not but Onstad has an SA account so he could very well see this thread.

Don't believe he has posted in some years.
"Oh jesus, I hosed up. I can never go back there. They'll all yell at me :'("
Like Ronnie from Whomp.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

JoshTheStampede posted:

"Alright, let's see what people think of the new co- oh, they're talking about my divorce. Again."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He stopped posting before the divorce, before the cookbook thing.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Gimnbo posted:

"Alright, let's see what people think of the new co- oh, they're talking about my divorce. Again."

Best part is they were talking about his divorce before it happened.

the Professor posted:

But really, almost all I have seen of Molly and Roast Beef post-wedding is her growing resentment and I am like "oh no" :(

choobs posted:

It seems like they are implying that real-life Onstad is divorced?

Chris Onstad posted:

Judging by the wife and child making dinner in the other room, things are A-OK around the Onstad house. I just wish she'd started the soup with a ham hock.

Maybe they got divorced...... because of the Achewood thread???

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
A bizarre Reverse Death Of The Author, where you not only pay attention to the authors intent but actively write fan fiction about his personal life based on your interpretation of his work.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

As slow as this arc is, every week has given us at least on quotable line. I'll buy that for a dollar.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think 2-3 quotable lines weekly for a dollar is closer to the going rate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh sure the little teddy bear has sex optimism (true love and getting married to his idealized fantasy of a perfect woman and raising a family together optimism?) but wait till Penny takes a crap and finds out he didn't pay the water bill.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is that why Lyle has been taking shits in the garage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Man, no wonder Onstad doesn't interact with his fans. I've never seen so much negative bullshit about an author. Why do half of you people even still read Achewood?

Also seriously, the whole "THIS COMIC IS ABOUT HIS DIVORRRCE" thing is getting old.