Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
"Construction is progressing well and your stronghold should be ready in one week!"

*stands stock still staring directly at construction manager for an entire week* dagoth ur can wait

(Also my phone autocorrected "dagoth" to "da goty" :cool:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Hog Butcher posted:

You can't pay gold to guards, they take you to prison no matter what. edit: You can pay but you still get pulled to the nearest prison for... I dunno, it's the closest automated teller mudcrab

edit:

Some things actually look good

I saw the thumbnail version of this pic and wandered what game it was from, seeing how it couldn't possibly be Oblivion because the person in it looks at least remotely human and not at all like a potato. Okay well he looks a little like a potato but not an Oblivion potato.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

GreatGreen posted:

I saw the thumbnail version of this pic and wandered what game it was from, seeing how it couldn't possibly be Oblivion because the person in it looks at least remotely human and not at all like a potato. Okay well he looks a little like a potato but not an Oblivion potato.

That's because it's a helmet. As soon as he takes it off, his face will leak out as it should be.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Disco Infiva posted:

That's because it's a helmet. As soon as he takes it off, his face will leak out as it should be.

the first guy is clipped into the wall. I was going to drag them next to each other and see if they were identical indoriltwins. It looks like they are

new game: tell me to go find something in morrowind and i will find it and see if they hosed it up. I will take video of the best fuckup things.

edit: who the gently caress can see me, i'm in a sealed vault with nobody else in it? is a storm atronach in another cell going to rat on me to the other dead ordinator??

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Why are the loving artifacts in Skyrim so lovely? I mean, I just found the Cuirass of the Saviour's Hide, and it only has like 15 magic resistance compared to the 60 or so it had in Morrowind.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

Why are the loving artifacts in Skyrim so lovely? I mean, I just found the Cuirass of the Saviour's Hide, and it only has like 15 magic resistance compared to the 60 or so it had in Morrowind.

They're all levelled so the earlier you get it the more useless it is.

Except for that one which is always poo poo. The only value to it is sometimes after you skin the werewolf and take a nap, its skin respawns AND it respawns so it's just standing around watching you skin it over and over for money.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hog Butcher posted:

They're all levelled so the earlier you get it the more useless it is.

Except for that one which is always poo poo. The only value to it is sometimes after you skin the werewolf and take a nap, its skin respawns AND it respawns so it's just standing around watching you skin it over and over for money.

None of the Daedric artifacts are leveled. They just all suck poo poo because Bethesda is scared to let people break the game in fun ways.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

None of the Daedric artifacts are leveled. They just all suck poo poo because Bethesda is scared to let people break the game in fun ways.

Which is a shame, because its easy to bbreak in unfun ways. I ran through dozens of Oblivion gates completely invisible thanks to chameleon armor, but it wasn't really fun or engaging.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I used Mehrune's Razor through the entire game and dualwielded so there was a reasonable chance that stuff I was fighting just fell over.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Start new game, play pure mage (preferably selecting the pre generated class), store bought spells only, no alchemy/spellmaking/enchanting and wander around instead of abusing poo poo. BOOM! (drat you nerds for making me re-install this :argh:)

naem
May 29, 2011

Instead of smashing bugs for 100 hours I console console commanded myself a bunch of gold and paid skill trainers. Then I took nap after nap and went instantly up to level 17, and created a 100 second levitate spell at the Mage guild.

NOW I'll stop cheesing and play straight, flying and shooting low power fireballs at level appropriate enemies like a boss.

Also thank you dark brotherhood for attacking me after sleeping because you left me two medium low power poison swords with 50 charges each, that should get me though any spooky dungeon for some time

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The list of leveled unique artifacts in Skyrim is actually very short, and there isn't much on it you'd really want to use aside from the kit you get for completing the thieves guild questline. In Oblivion, on the other hand, practically all the good loot was leveled, to the point where I always played with the Quest Award Leveler mod to keep my poo poo from being obsoleted.

All this is kind of moot because you'll find better randomly generated gear on bandit cheiftans in both games anyway.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Do constant effect summon enchants actually work? Because I found a blaze ring that could fit a fire atro in it for the low low price of 95k gold!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

Do constant effect summon enchants actually work? Because I found a blaze ring that could fit a fire atro in it for the low low price of 95k gold!

it works but im pretty sure you have to re-equip the item to resummon it

make spell

soul trap on target 1 second
summon [creature] 1 second

ONLY CAST AT YOUR FEET. congrats on your permanent summon.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

kazr posted:

it works but im pretty sure you have to re-equip the item to resummon it

make spell

soul trap on target 1 second
summon [creature] 1 second

ONLY CAST AT YOUR FEET. congrats on your permanent summon.
nah that shits fixedbroke in my game

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I never had a problem with it but I haven't tried it lately. Either that clanfear never died or the ring resummoned it as soon as it did, I'm about 90% sure it was the second one because I don't remember ever having to take the ring off. Also go to the other thread and get the summon mudcrab spell someone made and made a ring for that because yay mudcrab buddy.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Is that mod that expands on House Redoran any good? Lorewise, they're pretty rad (bunch of samurai lords who are racist beneath a polite veneer who can come to respect you through your feats of might), but their quests are boring as hell.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sorry guys, you might be right. Morroblivion is pretty bland as gently caress. The feel of combat is much better in the Oblvion engine but everything else is just slightly off. I repent.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry guys, you might be right. Morroblivion is pretty bland as gently caress. The feel of combat is much better in the Oblvion engine but everything else is just slightly off. I repent.

Welcome back

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Plus that beefcake posted a recently isn't my Jiub, no sir.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

As a single player game, items need to be intricately balanced, because

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You don't want someone accidentally breaking the main quest or

wait

nevermind

hoooooooooooooly poo poo
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Essential_NPCs

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

wait

nevermind

hoooooooooooooly poo poo

Couldn't they have just let us kill all of those NPCs or give story explanations for why we can't just walk up to them and murder them? Like, say I want to kill Ulfric Stormcloak. Well, in game as it is I can just walk up to Windhelm and stab the poo poo out of him, but he won't die unless I do the Imperial Legion quest line first. So, why not just surround Ulfric with really tough guards and let players attempt to slay him if they wish? Besides, killing him won't completely end the war; there are still angry Nords wanting to claim independence from the Legion. Just have one of his generals come out of hiding or some poo poo when you siege Windhelm if you kill Ulfric.

But gently caress that, writing takes effort and Bethesda cannot waste their precious effort supplies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

wait

nevermind

hoooooooooooooly poo poo

Lol, I was just playing the College of Winterhold questline today and tried to murder that fucker Ancano after he tried to force me to listen to his whiny rear end for the third time. It's total crap that you can't kill him for being an annoying twit.

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Couldn't they have just let us kill all of those NPCs or give story explanations for why we can't just walk up to them and murder them? Like, say I want to kill Ulfric Stormcloak. Well, in game as it is I can just walk up to Windhelm and stab the poo poo out of him, but he won't die unless I do the Imperial Legion quest line first. So, why not just surround Ulfric with really tough guards and let players attempt to slay him if they wish? Besides, killing him won't completely end the war; there are still angry Nords wanting to claim independence from the Legion. Just have one of his generals come out of hiding or some poo poo when you siege Windhelm if you kill Ulfric.

But gently caress that, writing takes effort and Bethesda cannot waste their precious effort supplies.

god forbid bethesda have to script in some kind of handler for killing one of two major warring faction leaders ahead of the predetermined questing schedule, that sounds like way more work than not doing it

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
But but but guys don't you want to experience Todd Howard's perfect vision of his great story of "hero kills dragon"?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

SunAndSpring posted:

why not just surround Ulfric with really tough guards and let players attempt to slay him if they wish?

Yeah the fact that very important people have no real guards or defences, in the middle of a war, makes the game really weird anyway. As a telvanni wizard you can have a huge tower that's only accessible by levitation, patrolled by guards, powerful mages and Dwemer bots. As prospective king of Skyrim beset on all sides by enemies, you have like one dude standing next to you in your empty, open castle.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The first time I played through Skyrim, as a mage, the main quest broke and there was no way to follow it any further. So I just looked around at each of the cities, did the College quests, and finally ended up in that city in the southeast - Riften I think? After doing some quest regarding a guy who was locked up for defying his mother or something, I realized I didn't like how the old lady and her family unofficially running the town were doing things and decided out of boredom to go kill them. No matter how many guards died though, they just kept going into a crouch before getting back up.

And then I stopped playing and haven't really managed to pick it up again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

more than anything else, the fact that they write a story that requires "essential NPCs" shows they've completely forgotten that their games are supposed to be about player freedom and open worlds, in favour of... uh... something else?

naem
May 29, 2011

Skyrim or as I played it, find a slight hill giants won't climb or stand inside a doorway and shoot them a whole bunch dot com and mastodons too

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually sort of get the essential NPC thing because NPCs in Morrowind stayed in the same place and didn't wander of and accidentally get themselves killed like the ones in Skyrim and Oblivion can. It would be a bit strange if you were out jumping around and collecting plants when suddenly you got a notification that the MQ was closed of because some important dude walked off a cliff. It's still really boring though.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Easy to solve. Make NPCs just truly killable by the player, else they just go into "bleedout"-state. The Skyrim engine even already supports this.

It's just Bethesda pandering to the Console-bro demographic to make the game not too confusing.

Generally I think they wanted to go places with friendly NPCs dying on the player, because there's stuff for it implemented in game, like the player "inheriting" money from dead NPCs with a high disposition or relatives/apprentices etc. taking over shops when the original shopkeeper died. I once poked around in the Skyrim engine back when it came out and had the feeling they wanted to do a lot more but a lot ended up on the cutting floor early on or was only half-implemented.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 3, 2014

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Yeah the fact that very important people have no real guards or defences, in the middle of a war, makes the game really weird anyway. As a telvanni wizard you can have a huge tower that's only accessible by levitation, patrolled by guards, powerful mages and Dwemer bots. As prospective king of Skyrim beset on all sides by enemies, you have like one dude standing next to you in your empty, open castle.

Compare trying to kill any given noble in Skyrim to trying to kill Caesar in New Vegas. What a piece of poo poo.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The console-bro demographic has trampled on my video-game role-playing joy-sessions for the last time!!

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

As a telvanni wizard you can have a huge tower that's only accessible by levitation, patrolled by guards, powerful mages and Dwemer bots.

Well in the Skyrim era they apparently have no guards, one useless apprentice and have a convenient elevator that anyone can wander in and use to get up into their tower.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
why the gently caress are people talking about morroblivion when skywind is just around the corner? :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18hdJ55ryY

looks neat so far

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Police Automaton posted:

It's just Bethesda pandering to the Console-bro demographic to make the game not too confusing.

Except Fallout 3 had comparatively few essential NPCs outside of the unkillable children. Killing important NPCs usually let you loot their corpses to get essential info and items and you could break sequence to the point where you skip the entire first act of the game by wandering into a random garage and poking around.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Averrences posted:

why the gently caress are people talking about morroblivion when skywind is just around the corner? :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18hdJ55ryY

looks neat so far

*walks into a room full of poorly-sized objects, is instantly blinded by the bloom off sellus gravius' armour, everyone else is naked* yep looks neat

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thehumandignity posted:

And here's something else I found while exploring Vivec. Spoilered for long.

Just some guy sitting in a bar, no yellow exclamation mark over his head or anything to tell me he's worth the time of day. No magic compass showing me exactly where to go, just some vague directions and a few points of reference to go by. This loving game. :allears:

I just like the reference to Harald Hands-Free (as opposed to Harald Blutetooth). Such a cheesy joke.

I actually stumbled across that tomb out of nowhere while out exploring and it was such a :aaaaa: moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beeswax posted:

I just like the reference to Harald Hands-Free (as opposed to Harald Blutetooth). Such a cheesy joke.

Ahahahahhahaha I didn't even put that together

• Locked thread