Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm actually waiting for someone to do a combination facecam-camcorder lp. Like have two cameras; one at the TV/PC Monitor; the other at the persons face and they stick them together later on. It would be the funniest thing ever.

I've already linked to another of this guys videos; but I thought that I'd check out a newer one to see if he got any better. The video itself is dull as poo poo, but look at the number of parts and what game he's playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9PsFOWBdoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm actually waiting for someone to do a combination facecam-camcorder lp. Like have two cameras; one at the TV/PC Monitor; the other at the persons face and they stick them together later on. It would be the funniest thing ever.

I've already linked to another of this guys videos; but I thought that I'd check out a newer one to see if he got any better. The video itself is dull as poo poo, but look at the number of parts and what game he's playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9PsFOWBdoM

I'm convinced this guy is actually MadMatty. It all makes sense, now.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

IceAgeComing posted:

That's to complicated. What if they flipped out the screen for the face cam and positioned it in the corner of the tv camera?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Or like this

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Just put a mirror next to the screen.

edit: FFS

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

The gently caress is this.

Since we're talking about scarecams and those Doom 3 guys, they reminded me of a video I made last year when Nintendo was doing the whole "We claim all ad revenue" thing. I recorded myself playing Super Mario Bros, but scarecam only, as a way to "beat Nintendo." I made like a typical Youtube LP'er and reminded people to like and subscribe like 50 times. It was horrible, but at least I was aware that it was a joke and stuff, unlike the Doom 3 guys. I can't believe someone would seriously think that is a decent idea.

As far as Mike & James plays, I generally enjoy those, since they are not in character, and both usually have at least semi-interesting things to say, like stories about playing these games as kids.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

heytallman posted:

Since we're talking about scarecams and those Doom 3 guys, they reminded me of a video I made last year when Nintendo was doing the whole "We claim all ad revenue" thing. I recorded myself playing Super Mario Bros, but scarecam only, as a way to "beat Nintendo." I made like a typical Youtube LP'er and reminded people to like and subscribe like 50 times. It was horrible, but at least I was aware that it was a joke and stuff, unlike the Doom 3 guys. I can't believe someone would seriously think that is a decent idea.

As far as Mike & James plays, I generally enjoy those, since they are not in character, and both usually have at least semi-interesting things to say, like stories about playing these games as kids.

the best video

if you're dumb enough to take it seriously; its probably one of Chip's funniest videos

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

heytallman posted:

Some talentless hack who doesn't know how to make a good Let's Play

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Seshoho Cian posted:

I don't really know how to feel about this post‎

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Danaru posted:

I don't really know how to feel about this post‎

Secondhand embarassment is usually a good choice.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
ChippoWai is the mind of a generation :allears:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Seshoho Cian posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

very disappointed this wasn't a link to goatse, commit seppuku in shame, Seshoho Cian.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

very disappointed this wasn't a link to goatse, commit seppuku in shame, Seshoho Cian.

If it makes you feel any better I strongly considered it.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Seshoho Cian posted:

If it makes you feel any better I strongly considered it.

drat man, you had us all by the balls, and you didn't deliver. There's nothing I hate worse than Goatse, except Goatse blue balls.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

If I was a mod, I would probate Seshoho Cian for not posting goatse.

Probably the reason why I'm not a mod, then!

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Well, this exists. I don't really know why it does, but there you go.

If you survive beyond the first minute, you're stronger than most.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

RSCNyx posted:

The problem with Retsupurae is I'm just going to have to watch this video again at some point.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RSCNyx posted:

This is about the most disjointed, meme-tastic LP video I believe I've seen on YouTube..(or anywhere for that matter). And the bar for all that poo poo had been set pretty high after some of the things I've seen.

Slowbeef, once again, the children of your creation baffle me. Do you ever have a feeling of fatherly prideshame when you watch something like this?

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Are all SA Lpers off limits for being Retsupuraed?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sneaky Fast posted:

Hell no. I think there's been a couple that have been RP'd in fact. Plus, every so often we have our own little golden LP threads here that have matched anything YT can spit out.

RSCNyx posted:

Also more on this fellow. Prepare for some hot tongue action from this guy, as he reacts to Creative Content on YouTube!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHNAr5o5pw

BMS fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 3, 2014

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

RSCNyx posted:

Well, you can't say he didn't edit his video :v:

Kinda getting flashbacks to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HB0opWxQ3A

Only in voice format and less memes.

Sneaky Fast posted:

The first RP was of a goon, right? That Mario 3 guy with Sinix.

edit: there was Oyster too

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 3, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RSCNyx posted:

I made it to 1:30. I can only hope Slowbeef/Diabetus make it tolerable.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. I looked at some of this guys other videos, and I was just speechless for some of them.

Bad LP videos are one thing....fine whatever. We'll poke a little fun at your meme-tastic video and call it quits.

The Nostril-vision video of him doing the weird tongue thing to a Creative Content video on YouTube. Pretty creepy, but it's the internet, there's creepy poo poo on it.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a video of this guy and his (judging by looks 20-something year old) friend in the Wal-Mart Toy Dept., trying on all the kids masks, slobbering in them, putting them back on the shelves for some unsuspecting kid to get. As well as rubbing a DVD on his nasty beard and putting it back, and making a complete rear end of themselves. It's really just loving disgusting. So I'd say this individuals LP video is the least of his worries.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

slowbeef posted:

The problem with Retsupurae is I'm just going to have to watch this video again at some point.

I'm very sorry.

I legitimately am, because wow. I mean, he has some technical ability, that's for sure. It's just the way he wanted to use it.

I'm just kinda stunned from the whole experience.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RSCNyx posted:

My god, its like watching talk show radio with videogames. So much spastic poo poo going down.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Let me get this straight. He edits a video to include all of this poo poo, but he literally makes no progress? He literally didn't give enough of a poo poo to beat the boss before editing? I mean, he figured out how to move between the sides of the screen (maybe?), but couldn't figure out how to evade the bosses (using that same technique)? I've never played/seen the game before; is it really that hard?

Also, I love where he puts in the TIME WARP, but appears to cut NOTHING out.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Well I've been mulling over the idea of promoting this guy here.

Roahm Mythril is one of the most skilled Let's Players I've seen on Youtube who didn't come from here. His commentary is top notch, he corrects his errors when he makes them, he goes back and rerecords footage until he gets it right (and just to make everyone happy, he keeps the outtakes for later), there are no annotations or any other BS, he keeps his videos a reasonable length, and he really seems to get what makes and breaks a Let's Play and always tries to do something unique for games that have already been done rather than just following the herd of LPers. For example, rather than just doing another Mega Man Let's Play, he instead opts for a perfect run: no robot master weapons, no damage, no sliding, no charge shots, not even Rush. The only time he uses one of these is when it's required like if he's in a Wily stage or something. The way he does Blind Runs is very interesting too. He always records his very initial reactions to everything, and if he dies too many times on a level or something and has to start over from the beginning, he will fast forward through things already seen and make jump cuts and editing where appropriate. The guy I think is just A+.

In fact my only complaint about him is... well... he's a furry or an otherkin or something? He thinks he's a dragon and reacts appropriately, talking about how he always wants "shiny" objects like gems when one appears on screen and referring to himself constantly as a dragon. It's a little silly. Outside of that, he's fine.

I highly recommend his videos though, especially the Mega Man videos and the Silent Hill videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoahmMythril

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

MGN001 posted:

Let me get this straight. He edits a video to include all of this poo poo, but he literally makes no progress? He literally didn't give enough of a poo poo to beat the boss before editing? I mean, he figured out how to move between the sides of the screen (maybe?), but couldn't figure out how to evade the bosses (using that same technique)? I've never played/seen the game before; is it really that hard?

Also, I love where he puts in the TIME WARP, but appears to cut NOTHING out.

The gimmick to the stage is that you can double jump to switch sides in the tunnel. While you can get through the stage without using this, the boss is a different matter.

Seven Force is a pretty challenging boss on the Hard/Expert difficulties. On Normal, though? Not so much.

He also couldn't grasp how to pick up items. Holding down and jumping makes you slide. Holding down and firing lets you pick up things. He was one button off.

Roahm is a pretty solid LPer, I think! He's really comprehensive with his LPs and really knows what he's doing with them. He also cares about his work, re-doing large segments if something goes wrong. His Megaman perfect runs are nothing short of impressive, as well.

Fun fact: I think he was one of the captured friends in this video. Believe he's the one yelling, "HELLLLPPP."

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 3, 2014

mrbo
Apr 4, 2008

that guy posted:

Welcome to my channel, the only place to see a Scottish dragon play classic games.

Well sure when you've got a monopoly like that it's easy to get 11m views.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

e: actually I should just post this in the Sandcastle

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

RSCNyx posted:

I don't know what's more annoying, the fact that he did all these pop culture edits into the video "Hey guys isn't 300 still funny!", or the fact that they're lasting WAY too long. At least if you're going to do stupid rear end edits know how to use timing properly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

Chalk Zone? Now there's an obscure reference if I ever saw one. Incidentally, that's as far as I got.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Skunkrocker posted:

Well I've been mulling over the idea of promoting this guy here.
I've looked at his stuff and he's one of those people who read every bit of on-screen text out loud. Even if his voice isn't too unpleasant, it's still dumb and annoying.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Forgall posted:

I've looked at his stuff and he's one of those people who read every bit of on-screen text out loud. Even if his voice isn't too unpleasant, it's still dumb and annoying.

Somewhat agreed. It makes a bit of sense during the Silent Hill games as some of the text is hard to read, but most of the time it's unnecessary. However, like you said, he doesn't have an irritating voice so I'm cool with it. It is, however, one of the reasons I figured I probably should avoid any text heavy LPs of his, the Pokemon one and the Battle Network ones specifically.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Whoa whoa whoa, why didn't anyone tell me about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgtAXCaSlpk

Camcorder LP or not, hearing commentary from the developers themselves is awesome! I'd love to see more stuff like this if anyone can find it. The only thing I can think of that comes close is hearing Mike Pollock (Eggman) co-commentating in a Sonic Unleashed stream on Twitch.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mr DJB posted:

Camcorder LP or not, hearing commentary from the developers themselves is awesome! I'd love to see more stuff like this if anyone can find it. The only thing I can think of that comes close is hearing Mike Pollock (Eggman) co-commentating in a Sonic Unleashed stream on Twitch.

The team meat guys came on over skype during a super meat boy run last AGDQ.

Had some great moments like

"Why is there a second bandage in this stage?"

"oops"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mr DJB posted:

There's also playthroughs of the Ratchet & Clank games by two of their programmers.

e: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNSvmpQDiy_QIFrqpDw9tBA

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Mr DJB posted:

This is absolutely incredible. They stand around for minutes on end, but I'm fine with that because they're talking about interesting development stuff.

MGN001 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 4, 2014

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Boxturret posted:

The team meat guys came on over skype during a super meat boy run last AGDQ.

Had some great moments like

"Why is there a second bandage in this stage?"

"oops"

This past AGDQ had some great dev commentary runs on both smaller and AAA games.

On the AAA side, Zoid Kirsch (a goon) commented on the Metroid Prime run, having been one of the senior programmers. A lot of information given about the development of the game and how certain mechanics game to be. Probably the best dev commentary of the marathon. Borderlands 2 included Anthony Burch, the lead writer on the game, as well as one of his programmer coworkers whose name I don't remember.

As for smaller games, the guy who made Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden was seated on the couch while the game was being played, while both The Mask for SNES and Surgeon Simulator 2013 had developers on the phone during their runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mr DJB posted:

A little while back I made a post about Level Up Labs' (unfinished) LP of Defender's Quest. I also linked some stuff off of one of the member's blogs, but you can ignore that half if you're just interested in developers talking about their game as they play it.

• Locked thread