Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Game Day blah blah.

After the terrible circumstances yesterday when the Game Day I attended was cancelled at the last second due to lack of interest, I finally got to do a bona fide tourney today with about 25 people. It ended up being 4 rounds with cut to Top 8.

I went 3-0 in the Swiss and ID with my opponent in the 4th. Beat Naya midrange, Jund monsters, and Simic flash. Three decks which I pretty much had no expectation of playing, although I guess Jund monsters is gaining in popularity. In the latter two matches, Blind Obedience did SO MUCH WORK post-board, as it held all these terrifyingly huge Mistcutter Hydras and Stormbreath Dragons at bay. Buying an extra turn to minus an Elspeth of drop a Verdict is just ridiculously good.

Also hilarious was Game 2 against the Jund deck, with both of us running out of gas and literally racing each other with our sole Mutavaults. I got my opponent to 2 life, attacked with Muta, he blocks with his Muta, I Celestial Flare and extort for 1 life, then during Main 2 I Pithing Needle for no reason in order to extort for the last life.

Top 8 I beat B/W midrange in the Quarters, in a tough as nails 3 games. Game 3 he manages to get out 3 Underworld Connections (after Revoke Existence-ing 2 of my Detention Spheres) and literally had all the hand disruption in the world, but couldn't draw a threat other than an active Erebos, which I Celestial Flared. He lost so much life from the card draw that again, my sole Mutavault went the distance in Game 3.

In the semis I faced the Simic Flash player I had beaten earlier again, and this time he won Game 3 due to a terrible misplay on my part. I attacked with Muta into an empty board COMPLETELY FORGETTING that he's playing Simic flash, so he just flashes in that 3/3 boar and blocks, sending me back a turn on tempo, which ends up deciding the game. Dude beats my buddy's American Control deck in the finals to win the whole thing.

All in all it was still a really fun time, and I walked away with like 9 packs, so I'm not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Elaborating on the best game day ever.

Possibility storm vs the world.

Rd 1: Mono-G devotion. As I meditate on my paltry early mana, I am able to drown his initial 1/1 and 3/2 in lava and izzet fireballs. My 4th turn I make a deal with the devil to secure a thoughtseize. As his world eating hydra faces me down, I slam down the storm, the storm of possibilities. His hydra hits me, but no matter how many random buff spells he throws at it, it cannot stop me. My final turn, I unlock all of the mysteries of the universe and morph a simple oracle, into a gigantic cyclops who buries my opponent in the very earth he sits upon. G2 goes similarly, he is able to mount a more formidable force early on, but a turn 4 possibility storm, causes his possibly lethal attack to all but fizzle out, as his buff spells transform into draw spells. Then I throw a thoughtseize into the storm, which becomes a deal with the devil, which becomes more storm food, which enters the infinite. The cyclops makes an encore, and buries my opponent for good.

Rd 2: Mono-B devotion. Thoughtseize stops my storm from ever going live, both games. Feels bad.

Rd 3: RGb monsters. This was my favorite matchup of the night, every game went down to the final turn, G1 I entered the infinite at 2 health. G2 with 6 mana available on turn 5, I thoughtseized four times, hitting diabolic tutor with my storm every time, that leaves me with 2 mana, and a thoughtseize in hand, which means I can enter the infinite with 1 mana remaining. I have no 1 drop creatures in my deck. (after this, I decided I need a 1 of 1 drop.) G3, at 4 health I enter the infinite. I was playing against my friend, so I made it extra dramatic by putting all of my land in my right hand, and throwing them at him as I yelled "THE POSSIBILITIES ARE INFINTE!"

Rd 4: Junk midrange. I am waaaay too fast for this deck, and nothing it does is relevant against me, easy 2-0

Top 8: U/W control, hilarious matchup, he drops a turn 4 jace, which I Izzet charm, then drop a possibility storm on my turn. Which means he just loses, because his cards are awful unless they are the intended card. Watching him try to counter my enter the infinite off of thoughtseize, only to flip a sphinx for 0 was insanely satisfying. He took game 2 by keeping me off storm, but I caught him off guard game 3 by dropping a jace, forcing a dsphere, then I took the opportunity to possibility storm, as I laughed my way into the top 4.

Semi-finals: Lost terribly some white aggro deck that beat me too fast for me to realize what happened.

All together absolutely hilarious, people had no idea what was happening until they lost to it. Only the mono black player knew what was going on, when he thoughtseized my possibility storm G1, and borby game 2.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

50 pounds of bread posted:

Possibility storm vs the world.

Can you post a list for this? I tried a version with no black, and while the combo is fun as heck, it wasn't as consistent as I would've liked.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

A big flaming stink posted:

Hey now, I think MtGox would have been in much better shape if they invested in Underground Seas instead of buttcoins :v:

They would have found a way to lose all the Power held on their site somehow

They did, at one point. (For those who don't know, MTGOX originally stood for Magic The Gathering Online Exchange.)

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Butt Town posted:

Can you post a list for this? I tried a version with no black, and while the combo is fun as heck, it wasn't as consistent as I would've liked.

This deck is not consistent at all, I was just VERY lucky, and got Pstorm almost every opening hand.

Creatures (5)

4 Omenspeaker
1 Borborygmos Enraged
Planeswalkers (4)

4 Jace, Architect of Thought
Lands (24)

3 Island
3 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Deceit
4 Watery Grave
Spells (27)

4 Chromatic Lantern
1 Rakdos Cluestone
4 Possibility Storm
1 Dimir Charm
4 Izzet Charm
4 Magma Jet
4 Diabolic Tutor
4 Enter the Infinite
1 Thoughtseize
Sideboard

1 Aetherling
2 Izzet Staticaster
2 Dissolve
3 Negate
4 Anger of the Gods
3 Thoughtseize

How it basically plays out is, I dig a little bit with dimir charm/izzet charm/magma jet/omen speaker. Diabolic tutor whatever I am missing (storm or thoughtseize) then try to not die until I can hit a storm, after which I almost always win, unless my opponent already is threatening lethal. I have played some games that I storm a diabolic tutor into thoughtseize though, which makes you want to cry. I never storm unless I already have the thoughtseize unless there is no chance of me winning. I think against aggro, boarding out some pieces of the combo might be the right choice, but I haven't really figured out what to do other than mash anger into the deck.

I normally play R/G dinosaurs, but I have felt extra hipster lately, so I have brought out crazy decks recently.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

50 pounds of bread posted:

Possibility Storm.dec

No Molten Birth? I remember an earlier list ran it to produce chump blockers and you get it back 50% of the time to cast next turn to try and get Enter.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

No Molten Birth? I remember an earlier list ran it to produce chump blockers and you get it back 50% of the time to cast next turn to try and get Enter.

It's a 3 mana sorcery that doesn't reset itself, if I whiff on enter the infinite with molten birth, I cry inside. The package I have now basically guarantees enter the infinite with a max mana investment of 5. Meaning, If I have 6 mana and thoughtseize in hand, I have a well over 90% chance to hit enter the infinite with mana up for omenspeaker. After I add a 1 drop (In place of the cluestone I think) I will be able to enter the infinite at a rate of 100% with a thoughtseize in hand after a storm.

An average game goes like this.

T1: land pass.
T2: land, burn something/dig with charm/omenspeaker pass
T3: land, lantern/dig/burn
T4: land, Tutor for thoughtseize
T5: land, Storm
T6: land, thoughtseize until enter the infinite.

Sometimes I get a bit ballsy and will go for a turn 4 possibility storm into t5 tutor, hoping for an infinite, but even if i whiff there, I get to grab thoughtseize and go off t6 anyway. The real trick in this deck, is surviving the early turns with little to no damage, so they can't finish you while you assemble voltron.

50 pounds of bread fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 3, 2014

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
Hahaha thanks, I'll have to give it a try. The list I tried before had Mystics/Caryatids to ramp into a fast Storm, but only had molten births as the only other sorcery. Every single storm felt like a hail mary, and often I'd find myself with no Storm at all.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

None of you should be buying Stranglehold. Any of you with it already should be selling it while it's still high.

Just look at Shadow of Doubt. It went up to $20ish based on Modern hype last year (outside of Modern season) and today it's $7. If a Modern legal 9 year old rare that is an actually useful version of the Stranglehold effect couldn't sustain $20, Stranglehold certainly won't.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 3, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sleevechat- Got my first dragonshields in the mail today and I switched over from ultrapro and wow they are so much better. They shuffle so much easier and feel much better quality, never buying another ultrapro product again.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Samael posted:

Sleevechat- Got my first dragonshields in the mail today and I switched over from ultrapro and wow they are so much better. They shuffle so much easier and feel much better quality, never buying another ultrapro product again.

That was my impression as well, but poo poo they get dirty fast. I'm still infinitely happier with my Legions and the Game of Thrones sets that came out a while back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, I like my Dragon Shields, though I felt I needed to double-sleeve with those really tight fitting clear ones for a snug fit, seemed to be a lot of space around the edges I thought might fold up.

Anyone say how KMC sleeves compare?

E: the Game of Thrones ones are Fantasy Flight, right? I had heard theirs weren't so good.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Game Day report: lost round one 2-0 to BIOVISIONARY.

The other two rounds didnt go very well, but that was jaw dropping to lose to that strategy on like turn 5 each time.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I like my Dragon Shields, though I felt I needed to double-sleeve with those really tight fitting clear ones for a snug fit, seemed to be a lot of space around the edges I thought might fold up.

E: the Game of Thrones ones are Fantasy Flight, right? I had heard theirs weren't so good.

I don't remember, but all of mine have been amazing. They have plenty of room for double sleeving, and I haven't split a single one. They've held up through about 4 months of heavy mash shuffling and are just now starting to wear out on the corners. They haven't held any grime on them at all, the fronts have just gotten a little cloudy over time but not too severely.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Game Day report: lost round one 2-0 to BIOVISIONARY.
Can you go into more detail? I'd actually like to know what's with that deck.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BizarroAzrael posted:

It probably depends on which KMC sleeves. I've been using the matte sleeves using perfect fits to double. I like how they look, but they get static cling really easily due to the matte finish. Dragon Shields feel like they shuffle better out of the box from what I've seen, but I've heard they pick up grime really easily and start sticking. If it concerns you, the corners of my sleeves are a bit stiff and pointy for lack of a better way to describe it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
For that Possibility Storm deck is the idea that after you Enter the Infinite you cast an Omenspeaker to actually get Borborygmos and burn your opponent out with lands?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Sunday I top 8'd the Tampa PTQ with the following list:

4xAsh Zealot
4xChandra's Phoenix
3xSatyr Firedancer
4xBoros Charm
4xLightning Strike
4xMagma Jet
4xSearing Blood
3xShock
4xSkullcrack
3xWarleader's Helix
2xBoros Guildgate
9xMountain
4xMutavault
4xSacred Foundry
4xTemple of Triumph

-----Sideboard-----
4xChained to the Rocks
4xFiredrinker Satyr
1xSatyr Firedancer
3xSpark Trooper
3xAct of Treason

Beat R/G, Red Devotion, Mono-U, U/W Control, R/W Bestow (?), Mono-Black
Lost to Mono-U off of a punt with Chained to the Rocks
Drew with BUG Plainswalkers
6-1-1

Lost in top 8 to the same R/G I beat round 1 in game 3 when I don't draw a white source until turn 6/7 and he's gotten nutty with a Courser of Kruphix. Firedancer is the real deal and got value all day long. Act of Treason out of the board didn't do anything. The deck is really fun to play and I'd recommend it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ran into the magic equivalent of a sports dad on gameday. I had played against him and lost to his UW control deck, then later saw him making one of his kids (who couldn't have been older than 14) goldfish an esper deck between rounds, spouting "inspirational" phrases like "top 8 is in here *Points to heart*" and "It's not the cards that win matches, it's you".

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 3, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Any suggestions to replace act of treason then? I've been siding 2x revoke existence and 2x burning earth but otherwise my SB is pretty much the same.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

whydirt posted:

For that Possibility Storm deck is the idea that after you Enter the Infinite you cast an Omenspeaker to actually get Borborygmos and burn your opponent out with lands?

Omenspeaker, Elvish Mystic, or any other cheap creature, but yes.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Cactrot posted:

Ran into the magic equivalent of a sports dad on gameday. I had played against him and lost to his UW control deck, then later saw him making one of his kids (whou couldn't have been older than 14) goldfish an esper deck between rounds, spouting "inspirational" phrases like "top 8 is in here *Points to heart*" and "It's not the cards that win matches, it's you".

There's no way that this was actually as funny as it is in my head. This loving game. :allears:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Cactrot posted:

Ran into the magic equivalent of a sports dad on gameday. I had played against him and lost to his UW control deck, then later saw him making one of his kids (whou couldn't have been older than 14) goldfish an esper deck between rounds, spouting "inspirational" phrases like "top 8 is in here *Points to heart*" and "It's not the cards that win matches, it's you".

"Dad, he 2-0'd me. :saddowns:"

-"I have no son."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cactrot posted:

He should have pointed to the heart of the cards

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Bread Set Jettison posted:

He should have pointed to the heart of the cards

But the real heart of the cards was inside him all along!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Veyrall posted:

Can you go into more detail? I'd actually like to know what's with that deck.

UG control deck with a bunch of counters, fog and bounce. Omenspeaker to help dig, and the big play was Fated Infatuation targetting Artisan of Forms to make two Biovisionaries.

Edit: and Clone if need be.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

But the real heart of the cards was inside him all along!

I eagerly await the next Un-Set including a 'Heart of the Cardboard' card that basically says "cheat anything you want into play for no cost"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

Ran into the magic equivalent of a sports dad on gameday. I had played against him and lost to his UW control deck, then later saw him making one of his kids (who couldn't have been older than 14) goldfish an esper deck between rounds, spouting "inspirational" phrases like "top 8 is in here *Points to heart*" and "It's not the cards that win matches, it's you".

How do you goldfish an esper (presumably control) deck? I'm pretty sure all Esper lists are reactive in nature.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
I have a question with regards to Whip of Erebos and Bestow creatures. If I were to use the Whip to bring a creature back from the graveyard, do I get an option to Bestow it? I'm going to guess no, as I believe you have to cast from your hand to have the option to bestow, but I was curious none the less.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await the next Un-Set including a 'Heart of the Cardboard' card that basically says "cheat anything you want into play for no cost"

Name a card and reveal the top card of your library. If it is that card, put it into play. If it is not the card you were hoping for, search for your library for that card and put it ontop of your library. Then, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into play. Shuffle your library.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Any suggestions to replace act of treason then? I've been siding 2x revoke existence and 2x burning earth but otherwise my SB is pretty much the same.

Maybe toil//trouble if we go off of Fazzolari's (zemanjaski) list. In fact with that change I think it ends up as the same list.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zoness posted:

How do you goldfish an esper (presumably control) deck? I'm pretty sure all Esper lists are reactive in nature.

Play til you can wrath, see how long it takes to get your next wrath, sphere, or a worthwhile Revelation. You can't really goldfish it to see how long it takes to get a kill but at least run through the motions and get more accustomed to sequences.

Do some Jace piles and ask yourself what decks and positions will create what piles and how you choose in those situations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zoness posted:

I was only half paying attention as I was making trades at the time, it seemed like he was calling out card names, or situations for the kid to respond to.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

ManiacMatt posted:

I have a question with regards to Whip of Erebos and Bestow creatures. If I were to use the Whip to bring a creature back from the graveyard, do I get an option to Bestow it? I'm going to guess no, as I believe you have to cast from your hand to have the option to bestow, but I was curious none the less.

I believe it can only be a creature. Per the quote below under Bestow Creatures on gatherer.

quote:

9/15/2013

If a permanent with bestow enters the battlefield by any method other than being cast, it will be an enchantment creature. You can’t choose to pay the bestow cost and have it become an Aura.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ManiacMatt posted:

Nope. It's never cast, so you can't choose to say "I pay the Bestow cost instead", and even if it were (in the case of something like Diluvian Primordial for example), you are already paying one alternative cost ("without paying its mana cost") by necessity, so you cannot choose to pay other alternative ones. Additional, but optional costs, such as Kicker, also cannot be paid, since, again, you are not casting a spell, but rather activating an ability.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Game Day? Game Day.

Went with this deck, minus the Mutavaults.

Match 1: 2-1 vs. RG Monsters- Xenagos and Domri Rade gave me problems, but mainboarding Lifebane Zombie helped me out a lot.

Match 2: 1-1 vs. MonoWhite- Botched it up by taking Archangel of Thune of Thoughtseize instead of Elspeth, who came to wipe out all my Pack Rats. I had a Hero's Downfall in hand too, that I should have used on one of my Pack Rats before the ability resolved.

Match 3: 2-0 vs RW Burn Deck- Close, but he couldn't quite get the mana out, and I was able to keep him away from

Match 4: 0-2 vs. Maze's End. Once turn 4 came around only Garys could do damage to him.

Came in 6th, though, won 3 packs and played an epic game of Pack Wars afterward.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So me and my friends cracked open 5 theros pre-release boxes of each colour and pulled 2 erebos, thassa, purphoros and nylea and some other nice stuff but it is all in italian. How does it being in that language affect the price of the card?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Samael posted:

So me and my friends cracked open 5 theros pre-release boxes of each colour and pulled 2 erebos, thassa, purphoros and nylea and some other nice stuff but it is all in italian. How does it being in that language affect the price of the card?

Korean, Russian, and Japanese cards are usually worth more. Spanish, French, Italian are worth about the same or less. Just depends.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I bet the French Delays cost more. Knew someone who planned on putting 3 in a deck with a fourth as English.

"Why's that?"

"You never go full Retard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
I'm struggling with an answer to Stormbreath in my Boros deck. Is celestial flare my best bet?

• Locked thread