Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tehsid posted:

Its not perfect, and makes head movement harder, but have you tried using your mouse as steering? And lmb and rmb as accelerate and break?

I often play it on my laptop and have the mouse on the couch. I could envision reaching for a drink and the mouse sliding off the couch.

I am thinking of getting a G27 for my main gaming computer which would be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Get the G27, then get an iRacing account, then spend all your free time racing. Then start browsing Kijiji/Craigslist for a cheap car you could autocross.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
I'm having some bad luck in this game today.

This guy turned in front of me and I was going too fast to swerve.

Yeah, this guy. Dick. :argh:

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

kuroiXiru posted:

Was that with the Realistic Lighting mod? I had the same problem, so I switched over to Improved Weather 1.3. Works a lot better IMO.

Yeah, it was. And like you I've switched to the Improved Weather 1.3. I haven't seen all it has to offer yet, but it might be just what I'm looking for. I'm slightly embarrassed that I spent a bunch of time thumbing through the mod sites instead of just asking google, as Improved Weather was the second thing that showed up.
Still I appreciate the link. Thanks, dude!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I'm having some bad luck in this game today.

I MUST GO, MY PLANET NEEDS ME

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New patch coming out and zero hype on here?

Check out this new car ai!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoO5jer-Vpk

This takes being an rear end in a top hat driver to a whole new level.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 4, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
People letting you change lanes? Total immersion breaking.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
interesting

I wonder if AI semis will still defy physics and magic around corners though, probably

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harminoff posted:

People actually not just fully stopping on every merge will be great. I also like that they'll rear-end you if you cut them off.

I'm hype about it but I still haven't seen any kind of release date and it feels like 1.9 has been in the works forever.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
WOW THE WHEELS TURN WHEN ENEMIES TURN MY IMMERSION IS COMPLETE.

Seriously, who figured that out and spent the time to do it? At least it'll make being a dick a little harder, since you can't anymore just thrust yourself in a lane infront of someone else and stop. Let's see if you get a penalty for the crash for the enemy to hit you, or if it's just damage. You're not at fault, it's the enemies fault.

Hopefully the AI also improves those intersections. You know the ones where a car is there for what seems like ages in front of you because of so much traffic. Or that trucks won't slow down to 60km/h on places that aren't the highway but still aren't the city.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm hype about it but I still haven't seen any kind of release date and it feels like 1.9 has been in the works forever.

Well good news because, according to SCS's latest blog post, 1.9 is in public beta on Steam right now with a view of it being released next week! Also the guys at Promods said they will release the next update to their map shortly after 1.9 is released, which I'm looking forward to, especially if they have removed the invisible walls. :argh:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My steam has no 1.9 public beta to install. :smith:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

1.9 is under public_beta, not any specific build number. :unsmith:

Hopefully TSM will have the update for 1.9 soon after it's released. The main reason I don't use Promods is the invisible walls. Also that TSM has a much bigger map. Quantity over Quality in that case.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 4, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

http://blog.scssoft.com/2014/03/euro-truck-simulator-19-open-beta.html

blog post about 1.9 public beta. Gonna stream it with my no mods profile once it downloads.

EDIT: and up: http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 4, 2014

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They actually managed to make the two lane roundabout ai even worse. Went through a couple in Prague and the first time a bus turned left from the right lane, then a van did a U-turn from the right lane. :v:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

For those that didn't see it on my stream:

New localization options (distance/speed [kilometers/miles], weight kilograms and tonnes, pounds and long tons or pounds only], volume [liters and US gallons] and temperature [fahrenheit/celsius] units) under the "Gameplay" section, including regional presets for Continental Europe, the UK and the US.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 4, 2014

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Edit: who cares!

MyFaceBeHi fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 5, 2014

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

witchcraft! the ai has finally figured out merge in turn!

What i'd like to know is if every enemy vehicle thats in an exit lane still always exits the motorway. Instead of signaling and changing lanes, which the ai seems to be completely incapable.

Also is the new DAF in yet?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

smelly cabin filter posted:

Also is the new DAF in yet?
Not yet. :smith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Booo, i'll have to stick to driving my 1997 renault povertytruck then.

Also i'm assuming the new ai wont work with TSM and the like

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Edit: who cares!

MyFaceBeHi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 5, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kilonum posted:

For those that didn't see it on my stream:

New localization options (distance/speed [kilometers/miles], weight kilograms and tonnes, pounds and long tons or pounds only], volume [liters and US gallons] and temperature [fahrenheit/celsius] units) under the "Gameplay" section, including regional presets for Continental Europe, the UK and the US.

Thank god. Does this mean I won't have to calculate my speed whenever in the UK (never go to the UK)?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

PureRok posted:

Thank god. Does this mean I won't have to calculate my speed whenever in the UK (never go to the UK)?

I doubt they'll be changing signage in the UK into whatever option you have selected for the instruments. This is more likely just a 'if you buy a UK truck it won't be in mph' thing. You'll still probably need to mentally convert the speed limits.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

PureRok posted:

You can actually see the new menu in action here: http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/b/508210251 (~6 minutes in), it's basically an expansion of the old "use miles" checkbox

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
SI units or GTFO.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The Deadly Hume posted:

SI units or GTFO.

No way to mod them in :(

Because I totally would if I could. :science:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 5, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You guys were right, Hot Mix Radio owns. Cruising along the Czech highways while listening to Eurhythmics is great.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I find myself strangely fascinated by the concept of this game. But then, I found myself strangely fascinated by the driving in Deadly Premonition. Having an actual place to wander around in game-wise is something I often look for.

How good-looking are the towns and cities? Not necessarily in a 'sexy AA textures' way, but does it feel like driving around in a city, or a collection of random boxes like your average flight simulator's city? And what's this game's competition in the 'travel around and look at poo poo' category?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Cities are relatively tiny and abstracted to a couple of distinctive blocks and landmarks, kind of like JRPG towns with their inn, shop and quest NPC's, but look good for what they are I guess. The wayside often has more stuff to look at.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the towns are somewhat in between: small and fairly abstracted but a little bit more than a jumble of boxes. Big cities have appropriate cardboard scenery all around them but are still limited to just a few actual drivable blocks with a couple routes in and out of town.

N.B.: You can't actually get out of your truck and walk anywhere.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Cities are quite lacking in details. They're compact, and even huge cities in real life still feel small. For example, Paris. You are very limited in the amount you can drive around in the cities. But I do make a point when I visit a city in my own truck to get the recruitment agency and the truck dealer if the city has one.

The countryside has better things to look at, even if it's just driving. But this game is relaxing. If you're on the fence, Steam does have a demo. The demo limits your level and will stop you playing that profile once you hit that level, well, until you purchase the full game. Hell, grab the demo and try it out. If you don't like it, then you just don't like the game. If you like it, then get Euro Truck Simulator 2 Gold, and optionally the paint skins DLC packs. Most map mods these days require Going East, so Gold is the best deal. I don't regret buying this game at all. But at the very least use a gamepad to play it. Keyboard+Mouse just feels wrong.

But enough about that.
Anybody notice with the latest beta that pressing X on a Xbox gamepad opens up the menu, even when the X button isn't bound to the menu? I have it set to wipers, and even if I have nothing bound to X, the menu will still open up. No mods, just a vanilla game.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Just a notice for those of you on the public beta: they are pushing out new patches to it daily, they've gone from 1.9.1s to 1.9.5s this week already

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
With all the talk about how the cities are kind of unspectacular, there is a good amount of distinction in the scenery in general. You'll see lots of very pretty and striking things as you drive around and lots of cool landmarks (at least in my opinion). It does give a good sense of driving from place to place and seeing distinct things and not just the sort of totally generic 30,000 foot flight simulator scenery.

If you liked driving around in Deadly Premonition, I think you would like this very much. It has that same sense of just driving and relaxing, but it gives you an actual objective in terms of more money for upgrades to your truck, buying other trucks, hiring other drivers, and even XP leveling to get better jobs and pay.

Granted, York isn't going to be giving you talks about great 80s movies, but there's lots of weird foreign radio to listen to. Like people have said, check out the demo, it's pretty full-featured.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The game is on sale on Green Man Gaming right now. 75% off the base game, 66% off going east. I got my going east from GMG and the key works in Steam. Gold 66% off. Cheaper to buy the base game and going east separately.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

With all the talk about how the cities are kind of unspectacular, there is a good amount of distinction in the scenery in general. You'll see lots of very pretty and striking things as you drive around and lots of cool landmarks (at least in my opinion). It does give a good sense of driving from place to place and seeing distinct things and not just the sort of totally generic 30,000 foot flight simulator scenery.

If you liked driving around in Deadly Premonition, I think you would like this very much. It has that same sense of just driving and relaxing, but it gives you an actual objective in terms of more money for upgrades to your truck, buying other trucks, hiring other drivers, and even XP leveling to get better jobs and pay.

Granted, York isn't going to be giving you talks about great 80s movies, but there's lots of weird foreign radio to listen to. Like people have said, check out the demo, it's pretty full-featured.

The 'cities' that you visit are more like small industrial areas that are part of a city. There are definitely a few places simmilar near where I live, with lots of depots and even the odd truck dealer/repair place. Although its not so uniformly layed out like in game.

You dont get very many full size hgvs in european city centres purely because there isnt much space, so most things will go to a depot further out and then get delivered via a smaller truck or van I guess. In central london the only big trucks you see are mainly hauling building equipent or materials.

Edit: Saying that I still need to try out that romanian? hungarian? Map which seems to have more fleshed out areas.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 7, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
anyone not using promods is doing themselves a disservice

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Al Harrington posted:

anyone not using promods is doing themselves a disservice

Been saying this for ages. Of course, if you have a puny little engine and basic gearbox you're going to flounder horribly in Norway and northern Sweden with all the serpentine hillclimbs. Me? I don't have to worry about that because my Volvo can pull anything :cool:

Also, the additional ferry routes mod works with Promods.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Are any of then other sim games (bus and car) any good?

Also, anyone have a good list of mods to get, those mod sites are way more difficult then they should be.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
Does promods play nice with TSM? I've passed on promods before because I heard of/installed TSM first and then people occasionally mention invisible walls in promods. Is that still a thing or is that old news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ahh, the mods. http://jazzycat.ucoz.net/ has the best trailer mods I've seen. They all worked with TSM. The other two of course are TSM and Promods. Choose one. Promods has quality, TSM has sheer quantity. They don't play nice together.

• Locked thread