Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young

rawdog pozfail posted:

Oh god dammit I loving hate this show but they used a mountain goats track at the end..

e: Nevermind. They butchered it.

The Mountain Goats was far and away the best part of the episode. What a horrible piece of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Episode was good because of the character development.

Episode was bad because of literally no plot development.

Like, could there have been any middle ground at all? They could have ended the ep with any positive progress having happened and I would have been very satisfied.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jamesman posted:

I kinda appreciate that they're trying to add some atmosphere with all the death around the characters, but it is a little confusing to me to see mummified corpses of children and rich bitches when everyone's supposed to be coming back from the dead unless their heads are blown off. It's like the characters are stumbling upon death scenes that happened just before the apocalypse. All of a sudden.

Those deaths probably happened before full-blown apocalypse, before everyone was infected. It's interesting that there was a transitional period, but frustrating that we won't see it (unless those spinoff rumors are true) because that honestly would make better television. Instead of the world gone away, it's the world slipping away, which is something that hasn't been done to death. We just keep finding remnants and empty sets from that more interesting, unfilmed show.

I liked the episode. Daryl is probably one of four well-written characters left, and I was wondering when they'd flesh out Beth some more. On the mountain of unbelievable poo poo on TWD, the peak was that that someone that completely bland could be so into Tom Waits.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Based on the preview I'm guessing someone bites it next week.

We all know what happens to people who get character development.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Jamesman posted:

I kinda appreciate that they're trying to add some atmosphere with all the death around the characters, but it is a little confusing to me to see mummified corpses of children and rich bitches when everyone's supposed to be coming back from the dead unless their heads are blown off. It's like the characters are stumbling upon death scenes that happened just before the apocalypse. All of a sudden.

As far as the people in the country club are concerned I'd imagine the inert bodies are victims of Marauders. The hanging zombies, the "rich bitch" halved zombie, the piles of stacked dead-- the show is going out of its way to lay pieces and hints that humanity's old tricks are the real threat.

I feel like the arrival of Abraham's capable group (well, Abraham at least) is serving as a mirror image to the next round of threats which are presumably troublesome survivors. The Governor was a charismatic mad man who took in weaker survivors. The people we've seen so far that aren't affiliated with our group proper have all shown to be deadly and more traditionally evil; the Gang in Rick's recovery house, whatever group killed the neighboring camp before the final attack on the prison, the ransacked country club-- Terminus is most likely not going to be any better.

ninja edit: while it's annoying the show has been known to use "traumatic brain injury that you just can't see" before to explain inert dead bodies without obvious head wounds-- the traffic jam at the beginning of season 2 in particular. I'd still wager that the dead in the country club were victims of a roving gang.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 3, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dug the episode. They're using these episodes for character development with little plot and that's fine with me because this has never been a plot driven show. It's always been a slow burn character show and four seasons in some people still seem to be waiting for some meta plot to begin.

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

"Merle was complaining about this show and just...wouldn't shut up" lol

This should be the thread title. Forever.

Jamesman posted:

I don't get why people have such a hard time with this. Can we not accept that if a body is there that means it took a head shot? We've seen countless times when either a person or a walker was put down that way and I'd assume that a year or so of decomposition would make wounds a little hard to discern. Does the show have to show every death wound to prove every dead body was put down by a head shot? Or can we accept that when we see a decomposed body there was a head shot delivered because that's been established as the rules?

quote:

Also it'd be kinda nice if they would acknowledge that disease thing again, instead of it being miraculously cured amongst the people in the prison, and therefore no longer an issue ever again. Still having a few zombies show up every now and then that look like the people died of the disease and turned would be good enough, really.
What disease? The super flu? It wasn't some crazy new bug, it was just a hosed up flu that killed a bunch of people living in pretty horrid conditions with no medicine, warm beds, or orange juice. The only survivors who were sick were Glenn, Sasha, and the bus. The bus died, Glenn passed out, and we saw Sasha recovered before the Governor showed up. There's no reason for it to be some pandemic. Hell, the sparse population is probably good enough reason why it wouldn't be a pandemic. Any group that got it presumably spread it quick to each other and died before finding a new group.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I don't get why people have such a hard time with this. Can we not accept that if a body is there that means it took a head shot? We've seen countless times when either a person or a walker was put down that way and I'd assume that a year or so of decomposition would make wounds a little hard to discern. Does the show have to show every death wound to prove every dead body was put down by a head shot? Or can we accept that when we see a decomposed body there was a head shot delivered because that's been established as the rules?

The corpses were mummified and in very good shape. It was easy to tell that there were no gunshots, and since this is television and they were set dressings, there was definitely no head trauma that killed them. So no, I cannot accept that every non-zombified corpse was killed by headshots when they show goes to lengths to show they were not.

It seems like they are suddenly trying to add some depth to the chaos around the cast. Instead of just throwing bodies and zombies in places, they're kind of trying to tell little stories as to why the zombies and bodies are there. What would have happened during the period between the start of the apocalypse and when the characters show up for the episode. I'm just not sure what to make of it, at least not yet.

quote:

What disease? The super flu? It wasn't some crazy new bug, it was just a hosed up flu that killed a bunch of people living in pretty horrid conditions with no medicine, warm beds, or orange juice. The only survivors who were sick were Glenn, Sasha, and the bus. The bus died, Glenn passed out, and we saw Sasha recovered before the Governor showed up. There's no reason for it to be some pandemic. Hell, the sparse population is probably good enough reason why it wouldn't be a pandemic. Any group that got it presumably spread it quick to each other and died before finding a new group.

It killed a bunch of people outside the prison, and killed a bunch of animals too. But now that the main characters got medicine and they finished up that subplot, have there been any dead animals or zombies with blood coming from their eyes seen while everyone's running around in the wilderness or encountering hordes of zombies in the immediate area? Nope, we can just forget that the whole thing ever happened. Just seems odd, and I will nitpick it because it stands out to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Episode was entirely too slow and devoid of anything interesting, except for the end when they burned down the cabin, which was kind of a stupid thing for them to do but at least it was fun to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jamesman posted:

The corpses were mummified and in very good shape. It was easy to tell that there were no gunshots, and since this is television and they were set dressings, there was definitely no head trauma that killed them. So no, I cannot accept that every non-zombified corpse was killed by headshots when they show goes to lengths to show they were not.

If you can tell that there's no way those people took a knife to the head or the back of the neck like Carol's victims or the children last week then I don't know what to say. Obviously you can tell when half of someone's head is blown off or when a walker gets its skull smashed in by a heavy object but there's cleaner, simpler ways to kill a person/walker that they've established. And when they go to the effort of showing us the people who hung themselves/were hung had turned then the whole "they died before everyone became infected" theory seems to go away. And the "before infected" theory seemed to pop up last week with the kids when there was clearly blood on their pillows so I just think its more fishing at things that aren't there.

Something hosed up happened in that country club but we'll never know what. But it seems like a lot of people aren't content with that being the message, that lots of bad poo poo happened in this world and no one was left to tell the story, and instead are reaching too much for the story.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

surf rock posted:

Holy poo poo, what an appropriate time for a Mountain Goats song.

loving. This. I came to post similar sentiment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't imagine why anyone would hate this episode. Darryl getting to actually act emotional was a long time coming.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Episode was entirely too slow and devoid of anything interesting, except for the end when they burned down the cabin, which was kind of a stupid thing for them to do but at least it was fun to watch.

When the fire started going near the tree I started laughing and going "This is when they realize they've begun a horrible, raging forest fire."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Forest fires are a public service in zombie world. Not only do you fry some especially slow and stupid walkers but you turn a dangerous forest full of trees for zombies to sneak out from behind into a big clearing where walkers trip over burnt up poo poo. Smokey was part of the old world!

Just as long as no survivors were napping in moonshine shacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was watching tonight and thinking " drat Beth is really hot, I hope she isn't like sixteen or anything" when my stoned roommate (who has never seen the show) walked into the room, so I asked him "how old do you think she is?"

Him: 28
Me: are you loving kidding me? She's maybe 22 at the most
Him: No you can tell by her arms, they are nice toned arms but they are the arms of a 28 year old.

Then he left,and after the episode I googled her and sure enough she's 28. Apparently my roommate is the Rain Man of arms or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

Well Jesus, she's a young looking 28 year old then.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Now i'm no survivalist, but wouldn't moonshine be good for cleaning wounds, starting fires and getting drunk? Why would they just burn it all?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mustard_tiger posted:

Now i'm no survivalist, but wouldn't moonshine be good for cleaning wounds, starting fires and getting drunk? Why would they just burn it all?

Yes, pure alcohol would be insanely useful for a wide variety of purposes besides drinking.

It was a big cathartic thing for them, just like burning the entire stack of money rather then 1 bill.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They were drunk and didn't give a gently caress. It's a TV show not a video game inventory screen.

Why did Carl eat all of the pudding?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

WHY ARE MY ZOMBIE SURVIVOR TELEVISION SHOW CHARACTERS NOT ACTING AS RATIONALLY THINKING INDIVIDUALS LIKE I WOULD?! :byodood:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh come on, it's ok to admit that burning down the house was a monumentally stupid move and still like the episode and understand that it was all just a cathartic metaphor for them letting go of some poo poo, as well as just a nice closing shot.

That doesn't mean though that anyone who complains about them burning down shelter, potentially starting a forest fire, wasting a shitload of super valuable alcohol, and suddenly having to go find new shelter in the middle of the night is a survivalist sperglord. Yes they were drunk, but that's some black-out drunk stupidity that's just going to be hand-waved away when we see them again in next week's episode. It also just kind of ignores the fact that they stayed up all day getting drunk and then went wandering off in the middle of the night. There's "Well they could probably be doing some things differently in order to survive a little better" and then there's "Wow these people are actively trying to get themselves killed."

With all that said though I did enjoy the episode. I never mind when they just focus on one group for a whole episode because it's almost always better than their 'show 5 different groups for 10 mins each and don't actually accomplish anything' episodes. At least we got some real, earned character development out of it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Daryl and Beth realize they're on a TV show called The Walking Dead. They realize they can waste whatever supplies they want because as soon as dramatic tension demands they have a particular thing, someone will say 'I think I saw some back in that old <building>, time to go on a run' and they'll have it. Beth was waxing philosophical about her own death because she realizes this is the most character development she's ever had and we all know what happens to background characters who suddenly get a bunch of lines.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wizard of Smart posted:

WHY ARE MY ZOMBIE SURVIVOR TELEVISION SHOW CHARACTERS NOT ACTING AS RATIONALLY THINKING INDIVIDUALS LIKE I WOULD?! :byodood:

To be fair it's the most interesting when they do.

It's kind of amusing that the Walking Dead game has far more rational and realistic acting people than the showtimes.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Daryl and Beth realize they're on a TV show called The Walking Dead. They realize they can waste whatever supplies they want because as soon as dramatic tension demands they have a particular thing, someone will say 'I think I saw some back in that old <building>, time to go on a run' and they'll have it. Beth was waxing philosophical about her own death because she realizes this is the most character development she's ever had and we all know what happens to background characters who suddenly get a bunch of lines.

I want freaking expiration dates to start playing into the show. They can't keep scavenging supplies or they'd kill themselves on massively expired stuff, or at least make themselves very sick, which in an apocalypse is pretty close.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This episode was terrible so I just went looking for great posts intead

prezbuluskey posted:

What even is this show
This one's great

NESguerilla posted:

Apparently my roommate is the Rain Man of arms or something.
So's this one.

What a ridiculous episode. They manufactured tension between two characters with no reason to hate each other, just so we can have a bonding episode between them. Whatever.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also Beth left the flashlight she found at the golf course on the bar, and then the camera paused on that scene for a while after she got up. It's like the director was making a point of how stupid they are, because they included scenes of them finding the flashlights earlier. She wasn't drunk either so goddamn, nobody would be that stupid. Its not like they're rolling in supplies or basically any necessities for survival.

mustard_tiger fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 3, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I want freaking expiration dates to start playing into the show. They can't keep scavenging supplies or they'd kill themselves on massively expired stuff, or at least make themselves very sick, which in an apocalypse is pretty close.

I don't really think it's been that long enough yet. Assuming they haven't already been sitting there for years most canned goods would still be okay for a while yet. Anything that isn't damaged or obviously bulging probably isn't going to give you botulism. Otherwise they just start to lose nutritional value and flavor as they get old.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Right, but like I said there's a difference between someone complaining about sub-optimal crop rotation techniques and a bunch of people having a problem with how dumb a character or two are behaving. Yes tons of survival things are ignored pretty much every episode, but that doesn't change the fact that some characters do some inexplicably stupid things (that are often way out of character). TWD being a TV show about zombies excuses the former, but the latter shouldn't just be hand-waved away with "It's a TV show stop whining about people being irrational!" as if it's not valid criticism. More often than not the stupidity is a result of some poor or lazy writing, and I think it's pretty easy to see how that bothers some people. Especially if they otherwise liked the episode where said stupid thing happened.

e: It's getting late and I think I misread the tone of your post initially and thought you were disagreeing with me. So this is less directed at you and more of an addendum to my first post I guess.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 3, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

I want cars to stop working. You can't have cars sit for two years without draining their fluids, and gasoline breaks down.

I think having Mongols rise up in the great plains would be the most realistic result from an apocalypse, and I'm not getting Mongols as long as stupid cars are working.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Good character development showing the forging of a good friendship and Daryls past. But ultimately a boring episode.

Next season if the group is split up by some calamity, I might just marathon the first 7 or so eps while they sloooooowly find their way back to each other.

Again, they need to switch up the situation a bit. Which I'm hoping Colonel Stars and Stripes, Dr McMullet and Lara Croft will do.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The bar scene made me cringe. Who would drag their forearm over shattered glass like that? :gonk:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The attention to detail in that episode was awful. Beth is taking off her shirt with her guard down while walking around a blind corner. She leaves her useful flashlight on the bar instead of taking it. They're talking at the top of their lungs in the moomshine house and then she starts yelling at Daryl when he gets loud. Some of the scenes in the golf club were cool but overall none of it made sense or showed things actual humans would have done which is a shame since last week's episode was so good.

I forgot my best part, Daryl yells at her and says there's no way you'll ever see Maggie again, she may as well be dead!!! Rewind to last season when he and Merle were reunited after over a year apart.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 3, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Bigass Moth posted:

The attention to detail in that episode was awful. Beth is taking off her shirt with her guard down while walking around a blind corner. She leaves her useful flashlight on the bar instead of taking it. They're talking at the top of their lungs in the moomshine house and then she starts yelling at Daryl when he gets loud. Some of the scenes in the golf club were cool but overall none of it made sense or showed things actual humans would have done which is a shame since last week's episode was so good.

I forgot my best part, Daryl yells at her and says there's no way you'll ever see Maggie again, she may as well be dead!!! Rewind to last season when he and Merle were reunited after over a year apart.

It's weird, it's almost like Beth and Daryl aren't thinking clearly, like they're in some sort of state that might cause them to make poor and irrational decisions sometimes, and perfectly sane decisions other times.

If only we could figure out what might have caused such a state.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You're right, they weren't thinking at all when they smartly created that camp in the woods with enough warning defenses to last them a while. Obviously they were out of their minds when they put that together and only got smarter when they ended up at two different roofed buildings and left both without taking any supplies.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
This thread is hard to read sometimes. Was it a great episode? No. Could they have done better with it? Sure.

People nitpicking over the little stuff is kind of tiring.

I enjoyed watching Daryl like I always do. The teeing off the zombie's face to the crying breakdown.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Bigass Moth posted:

You're right, they weren't thinking at all when they smartly created that camp in the woods with enough warning defenses to last them a while. Obviously they were out of their minds when they put that together and only got smarter when they ended up at two different roofed buildings and left both without taking any supplies.

You mean the supplies Daryl was continually gathering in both locations?

And yes, like I said, they thought clearly sometimes, and sometimes didn't. That's actually what depression and shock are like.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I'm not a big fan of Beth's acting, it always kind of takes me out of it.

I liked the episode because walking dead isn't about plot (because there kind of isn't any) it's about character and environment and this was a good example of both, though I wonder if the tension of clearing a new area will eventually get tired.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Is it just my wishful thinking that the Washington DC spoon is a hint that we might not see everyone reunited in Terminus and that we'll get multiple groups heading to DC as well?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ars Arcanum posted:

They can use the cash as a fire starter. Paper probably comes in handy in the humid Georgia woods.

Goal!

Also, I liked this a lot. Pure character development, of just two people. I loved getting to see more of Daryl and Beth, emotionally. Not all of it worked, the ending was a little silly, but I really enjoyed the laser focus.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I might be remembering wrong here, but I'm pretty sure there was rainfall when they were locked in the trunk of the car, which might provide an explanation as to how the cabin didn't cause a forest fire.

Silly episode, bad choices, but hey, it's a show about zombies. Nice to see them actually try to flesh out folks for once instead of just ripping into it.

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
It also rained in the second episode of the series after they covered themselves in zombie guts.

Edit: What an irrelevant post on my part, stupid hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Their little camp makes me wonder why they aren't sleeping in trees. Sure it's not comfortable, but with a cushion and rope to tie themselves up they would be completely out of reach of walkers.

• Locked thread