Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
This show keeps getting more and more amazing, it's almost not fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It really isn't. I'm not even sure what the actual factions are anymore. Like you can kind of guess but even within one you're not quite sure who's doing what and why.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I can't loving believe that even after all this dark stuff and stories about the apocalypse, in 27 days there's going to be an episode where Kouta just hangs out with the Toqgers

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Can Of Worms posted:

My gut feeling with Sagara is he's a mole working with an outside faction who wants Yggdrasil's research. This episode also brings up some questions about who notMai is.

Obviously, Sagara is a mole from Foundation X, trying to get their hands on Yggdrasil's research for their own evil means. NotMai (And the extinct civilization of Helheim) are actually the Presenters from Fourze. We're tying everything together here, folks.

(Most certainly not, but it's nice to dream sometimes. I don't think we'll ever get closure on the Presenters stuff, sadly.)

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Dexie posted:

Obviously, Sagara is a mole from Foundation X, trying to get their hands on Yggdrasil's research for their own evil means. NotMai (And the extinct civilization of Helheim) are actually the Presenters from Fourze. We're tying everything together here, folks.

(Most certainly not, but it's nice to dream sometimes. I don't think we'll ever get closure on the Presenters stuff, sadly.)

Where does Wizard fit in?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Apollove posted:

Where does Wizard fit in?

He fits into the garbage, with the rest of his lovely show.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Negataros has been behind this whole thing. Of course.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Obviously this whole thing is Decades doing. Or is that joke too old now.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also seriously, I believe I said this before, but Takatora just gets better each and every episode. He's definitely a good guy, and I like that. He's willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, but he hasn't forgotten said greater good. He needs to find better allies though.

About Takatora all the recent developments are making him out to be the adult counter part to Kouta. He has all the qualities that the show considers adult, but he is still trying to be the good guy who saves everyone like Kouta. He's just a Kouta who's grown up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Thoughts on the latest episode after watching it subbed...

Wow, Kaito's really becoming an SMT Chaos Hero with that speech at the end there. Can't say I'm surprised at all. I like how Takatora can come off as both reasonable and arrogant to the point of self-delusion all in one conversation. He's becoming a much more interesting character now that he has proper screentime and can interact with more of the cast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jonjonaug posted:

Thoughts on the latest episode after watching it subbed...

Wow, Kaito's really becoming an SMT Chaos Hero with that speech at the end there. Can't say I'm surprised at all. I like how Takatora can come off as both reasonable and arrogant to the point of self-delusion all in one conversation. He's becoming a much more interesting character now that he has proper screentime and can interact with more of the cast.

And with Micchy diving head first into his new job I'm betting he's gonna end up being the Law rear end in a top hat character. He'll do anything to try and preserve the little piece that he has. And Takatora could obviously drop right into that well with him.

All that I want to know is if the show will go Neutral end or True Demon End.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And with Micchy diving head first into his new job I'm betting he's gonna end up being the Law rear end in a top hat character. He'll do anything to try and preserve the little piece that he has. And Takatora could obviously drop right into that well with him.

All that I want to know is if the show will go Neutral end or True Demon End.

True Demon end would be (other Urobuchi work spoilers kinda) the ending of Saya no Uta, I guess?

EDIT: Gaim twitter is killing me tonight.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 3, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gross, A strength build? For sham Kouta. MAG/AGI all day.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gross, A strength build? For sham Kouta. MAG/AGI all day.

It's for Kaito. The Chaos Hero leaves your party later in SMT games anyway so it's not like the build matters terribly much.

EDIT: Christ this is a spergy post...

EDIT 2: Play games in the Shin Megami Tensai franchise they're good games.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hahahaha. This killed me. It's funny, because I made the same comment about Kaito sounding like a Chaos Hero when I watched the episode.

The city not being Zawame City surprised me. Along with the really weird simple stone couches and table that looked really fake. The idea that Helheim wasn't a mirror of the Normal world makes the notMai character kind of confusing.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Episode was great, but I'm a little disappointed that Jonouchi's still hanging out with Oren. Especially since the Invess Games are over, kinda no point now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TurninTrix posted:

Episode was great, but I'm a little disappointed that Jonouchi's still hanging out with Oren. Especially since the Invess Games are over.

His posing was almost Jojo-esque during his scene with Oren.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I would have never thought for a second that this show would have become SMT: Kamen Rider

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yggdrasil's standing order to pin everything on the beat riders comes off as extra scummy now.

We've seen Law and Chaos, now how 'bout Neutral? I'd like to see Sagara pop in and give an extra word now that more Riders know what's up. If Ryoma is backing Kaito, and Takatora has Micchy firmly on his side, then surely the dubious DJ's silent investments in Kouta's performance has got to mean something beyond simple amusement. Right?

Actually, no, don't answer that.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Considering how much Urobochi seems to like a lot of tropes present in SMT, it doesn't surprise me too much, though that doesn't make it any less awesome.

Also found this on tumblr, think it describes this episode pretty well:

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Was there a character beat I missed that makes Kaito deciding 'gently caress the weak, let's let plants eat everyone who's not a badass' mesh with his earlier thing of the weak being allowed to exist as long as they know their place? That seemed like a pretty drastic shift, if I wasn't misreading him before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm still surprised that DJ Sagara is a real person. I seriously thought his reveal would be that he was just a digital construct for the media broadcasts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
+

Doc Aquatic posted:

Was there a character beat I missed that makes Kaito deciding 'gently caress the weak, let's let plants eat everyone who's not a badass' mesh with his earlier thing of the weak being allowed to exist as long as they know their place? That seemed like a pretty drastic shift, if I wasn't misreading him before.

Kaito is fine with leaving the weak masses alone, but he sure isn't gonna stick his neck out to help them. He isn't a total monster, but he values his stupid personal philosophy above all else. He struggles against his own better nature, like when he reflexively got mad about the tree. Obviously, he never cared that much about the tree or the shrine it was in. His natural first response was anger on Mai's behalf, but he quashed that pretty quickly.

Also, has Sagara ever physically appeared with other members of yggdrasil?

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Serious Frolicking posted:

+

Kaito is fine with leaving the weak masses alone, but he sure isn't gonna stick his neck out to help them. He isn't a total monster, but he values his stupid personal philosophy above all else. He struggles against his own better nature, like when he reflexively got mad about the tree. Obviously, he never cared that much about the tree or the shrine it was in. His natural first response was anger on Mai's behalf, but he quashed that pretty quickly.

Okay, that makes sense. I was pretty tired when I watched it, so I guess I read his response as being [spoilers]eager about the weak getting killed, rather than indifferent.[/spoilers]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What age range are Rider shows usually aimed at? Seems like there's a lot of heavy stuff going on for a kids show, even though I'm used to Japanese stuff not pulling its punches just because of that.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

What age range are Rider shows usually aimed at? Seems like there's a lot of heavy stuff going on for a kids show, even though I'm used to Japanese stuff not pulling its punches just because of that.

Watch this video and forward to 6:25 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8Y_6lE5Cc&t=379s

Real answer: Mostly young children but also I think with a 12-15 year old age range in mind. It airs between the yearly Sentai show and Precure early Sunday mornings.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yggdrasil's standing order to pin everything on the beat riders comes off as extra scummy now.

We've seen Law and Chaos, now how 'bout Neutral? I'd like to see Sagara pop in and give an extra word now that more Riders know what's up. If Ryoma is backing Kaito, and Takatora has Micchy firmly on his side, then surely the dubious DJ's silent investments in Kouta's performance has got to mean something beyond simple amusement. Right?

Actually, no, don't answer that.

Kouta himself will probably be the lone Neutral path guy. He's the only one that seems to believe in some sort of collective good in humanity. Sagara is very obviously our Lucifer stand what with the enigmatic approaches and the constantly giving Kouta more power.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm pretty sure he was physically present for one of the boardroom scenes. He does generally only teleconference in though....

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Helloooooooooooooooo Zawame City!

The bluray is beautiful.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darksaber posted:

This show keeps getting more and more amazing, it's almost not fair.

I might get trashed for this, but I'd say that right now we're on par with Double at this point for strongest Neo-Heisei entry. And we're not even at the halfway point. And hell, we haven't even had a bad episode, and even Double gets docked for the "Heaven's Tornado" nonsense.

poo poo. It's really weird to have the newest entry be one of the strongest. I don't know how to feel.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sagara has gone from being the quirky webcast guy to actually weirding me out to the point where if the show would suddenly reveal he wasn't even human I wouldn't be surprised.

FortMax posted:

Helloooooooooooooooo Zawame City!

The bluray is beautiful.

I love you Sagara.

Potsticker posted:

Hahahaha. This killed me. It's funny, because I made the same comment about Kaito sounding like a Chaos Hero when I watched the episode.

With SMT1 being released for iOS in English soon, this is probably what I'm going to end up doing when being asked to name the Law/Chaos Heroes.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 3, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Monathin posted:

I might get trashed for this, but I'd say that right now we're on par with Double at this point for strongest Neo-Heisei entry. And we're not even at the halfway point. And hell, we haven't even had a bad episode, and even Double gets docked for the "Heaven's Tornado" nonsense.

poo poo. It's really weird to have the newest entry be one of the strongest. I don't know how to feel.

Five of the first seven episodes were really terrible. Fourze had a stronger opening and it spent TEN episodes introducing the core cast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure he was physically present for one of the boardroom scenes. He does generally only teleconference in though....

No one saw him free Kouta and no one should have been able to open Ryouma's case. Whatever the hell his position in yggdrasil is, I don't think he is supposed to have that kind of access, much less to the extent of being untraceable. I'd really like some confirmation that the people who should know what his deal is have actually met him face to face.

VVVV Edit: Hey, Mai is the shrine maiden for a shrine dedicated to a tree from helheim. She might end up being pretty darn important to the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 3, 2014

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I'm really hoping Mai gets better character development.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Potsticker posted:

Five of the first seven episodes were really terrible. Fourze had a stronger opening and it spent TEN episodes introducing the core cast.

I really disagree with that. I think that maybe, maybe the first episode could have been bad but I feel like I've never been let down by an episode. I dunno, might just be me though. :shrug:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Monathin posted:

I really disagree with that. I think that maybe, maybe the first episode could have been bad but I feel like I've never been let down by an episode. I dunno, might just be me though. :shrug:

There hasn't been a single episode I've disliked, this show's been pretty amazing so far.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I wrote a lot on the specifics of why the early episodes were so bad from a storytelling perspective, but they were mostly drowned out by the mass of posters saying they never watched Rider shows before and had no frame of reference, but Gaim is so awesome. :swoon:

One of the persistent problems is the Invess themselves. We're supposed to believe kids latched on to them as a cool battling thing to resolve schoolyard desputes like bugs or pokemon, but unlike those the Invess all just look the same. There's no link even between the lockseed used and the monster that comes out. Which it turns out is pretty important. How cool would Double have been if the dopants still kept their gaiamemory names but all used the same Worm suit and had no powers?

This is a problem too with the Energy Riders. Okay, so the Invess are an afterthought and the cool thing with Gaim is going to be Riders vs. Riders. Four badguy riders are all introduced recently-- and they all just use the same bow. Gaim has some good suit design here and there, but the monsters are boring, the best fight scenes are all out of suit stuff where they're not using bows as swords.

Basically, both the karate and bugs are lame in this karate bugman show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Every time I think I know what's going on, everyone scrambles and changes alliances. It's pretty amazing, it's rare for a series to keep you guessing this long in.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker's got a point about the show's flaws, but it says a lot about the writing that people are willing to overlook them. Also I've never seen a toku stage show before and it's kind of adorable.

Kouta himself will probably be the lone Neutral path guy. He's the only one that seems to believe in some sort of collective good in humanity. Sagara is very obviously our Lucifer stand what with the enigmatic approaches and the constantly giving Kouta more power.

I like the cut of your jib.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Potsticker's got a point about the show's flaws, but it says a lot about the writing that people are willing to overlook them.

Yeah its weird, like, there ARE obvious flaws with the show. Some characters not having a lot of depth to them at the moment (Mai being one of the worst offenders.) Some of the Invess do look kinda silly, especially the basic ones being just the worm outfits from Kabuto, etc. But yeah it really is a testament to the writing. Kinda like how people overlook the sloggish mid-section of OOO because of how great the beginning and ending are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I wrote a lot on the specifics of why the early episodes were so bad from a storytelling perspective, but they were mostly drowned out by the mass of posters saying they never watched Rider shows before and had no frame of reference, but Gaim is so awesome. :swoon:

Nah, there were plenty of Rider vets who disagreed with you on that too. Don't dismiss other people's opinions by acting like you inherently know more than them, it's just a stupid thing to do all around.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Luckily this isn't an SMT game because all the characters have personalities and are not just walking mouthpieces for their world view.

Although Kaito does just barely skirt that line sometimes.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 3, 2014

• Locked thread