Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the main idea in rendezvous with rama, i.e. that some alien artifact might show up and have zero interest in talking to us (spoilered because maybe someone hasn't read it yet?) is interesting, but isn't much to carry an entire story on. all the alien tech that he spends so much time describing seems pretty dated even by human standards these days (as does the thought that we'd only know of 800,000 asteroids by the year whatever it is). it'd still be pretty cool as a movie if it could ever get out of development hell and be done properly

childhood's end is more interesting, even if it's quite a bit more towards the soft end of the sci-fi hardness scale

i think the main problem with clarke (and don't take this as too much of a criticism, because i still love the guy) is that he gets a clever idea in his head for a story and then spends the whole book building up how clever it is before revealing it. so each story just becomes padding for whatever his cool idea was. and of course all of his characters are interchangeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i like arthur c. clarke i just don't care for rama

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also rendezvous with rama is way overrated

yeah it isn't really on the same level as other golden age classics like foundation

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the church of christ cosmonaut was my favorite part of rwr, hell yeah space religion

general rule of thumb for bsg seems to be that it's pretty great up through season 2.5, but then episodes start showing up separate from any of the arcs (spacebar hostage crisis episode, spaceabortion debate episode, etc) and they're pretty bad and dumb, then it utterly crashes and burns at some point during season 3 (don't know for sure, haven't gotten there yet and probably will spare myself)

i tried to watch 1978 bsg but it hasn't aged well at all. watch space mutiny if you want to catch those sicknasty ILM spaceship effects in a much more engaging context.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i like arthur c. clarke i just don't care for rama
as meh and overrated as rama is, its a thousand times better than any of its sequels

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair, the original bsg pilot was made on a hollywood movie budget. scenes using that bsg model were the very best special effects money could buy in 1978. (then they just recycled the same clips to make the rest of the episodes)

the scifi channel bsg was made on a scifi channel budget.

yeah i understand why they had to use cgi for the ships etc. (and it certainly did get better towards the end of the series but thats not surprising), but its still a little disappointing, particularly the cylons

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

... blindsight ... owns

this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

ok just watched razor

it was pretty good, better than most of season 3

bad parts were young adama's lol olmos impression and the bad cgi cylons (yeah i know its a tv show from 2004 but come on use some guys in a shiny suit or some chroma keyed puppets or something)

razor was 2007, so bad cgi was even more shameful

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair, the original bsg pilot was made on a hollywood movie budget. scenes using that bsg model were the very best special effects money could buy in 1978. (then they just recycled the same clips to make the rest of the episodes)

the scifi channel bsg was made on a scifi channel budget.

lucas actually sued because he thought bsg ripped off star wars too much. i think they even used some of the same effects guys.

the original show was also originally intended to be a series of like once-a-month TV movies, and when the network said "nah gently caress that, order up a full season of weekly episodes" it really hosed up the production (hence why some of the effects shots got overused so badly)

FMguru posted:

as meh and overrated as rama is, its a thousand times better than any of its sequels

the sequels aren't just bad, they're p. gross too

gentry lee's got some issues

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The last ep of bsg owned because when's the last time you saw a starship captain rolling around in his own vomit in a back alley?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

The last ep of bsg owned because when's the last time you saw a starship captain rolling around in his own vomit in a back alley?

like every time Patrick Stewart and Ian mckellan go out drinking

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
on a semi sci-fi note i have less and less confidence in the new cosmos being anything other than an utter shitshow

i mean, its fate was sealed the minute that seth mcfarlane got involved but i held a glimmer of hope it would be quiet, contemplative and bleep bloopy, but the likelihood of that happening is about nil :(

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stymie posted:

seth mcfarlane
what

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yeah it's true, like it or not he has a lot of pull with fox

I still trust tyson-sensei~

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really don't know why you would suspect it is going to be anything but. seth macfarlane is p well educated and smart and i think he knows how to do homage when needed. i'm looking forward to it a lot, and hoping seth left the family guy poo poo with his fg writing staff

i'm willing to bet cosmos wouldn't have even gotten a chance for revival if it wasn't for seth tbqh

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Stymie posted:

on a semi sci-fi note i have less and less confidence in the new cosmos being anything other than an utter shitshow

i mean, its fate was sealed the minute that seth mcfarlane got involved but i held a glimmer of hope it would be quiet, contemplative and bleep bloopy, but the likelihood of that happening is about nil :(

considering they made the commercials look a trailer to the next summer action blockbuster, i'm gonna assume it's going to be a clownshow

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stymie posted:

agreeing with stymie :(

still hoping it's going to be good though obviously

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lucas actually sued because he thought bsg ripped off star wars too much. i think they even used some of the same effects guys.

i actually looked up the budgets

star wars, '77: $8.25 million
bsg, '78: $7 million

and yeah, BSG used some guys from ILM, the firm that did star wars

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

specifically john dykstra, the guy that did star wars

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they also hired syd mead to do all the initial production design

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
syd mead owns btw

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hubris.height posted:

i really don't know why you would suspect it is going to be anything but. seth macfarlane is p well educated and smart and i think he knows how to do homage when needed. i'm looking forward to it a lot, and hoping seth left the family guy poo poo with his fg writing staff

i'm willing to bet cosmos wouldn't have even gotten a chance for revival if it wasn't for seth tbqh

just be greatful it isnt michio kaku

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

:barf:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

knowing fox we're lucky it isn't deepak chopra

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
should always be this guy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
londo would rule

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

should always be this guy

lol why's his title blurred out

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

londo rules

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

dunno, was the first thing that popped up on gis

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i'm gonna assume it's going to be a clownshow

agreed although idk what fox should do instead

option a.) make a splashy kaleidoscope with the simplest concepts expanded into hour long explanations and maybe get enough ratings to air an entire season

option b.) explain that space is huge and depressing, space travel is miserable, and any attempts to get much farther than the asteroid belt are doomed boondoggles so we might as well finish defunding nasa and leave space to bored billionaires and their robots because gently caress hope

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

just watch all the spacerip videos on youtube; who needs network television to make grand outer space non-fiction stuff anymore?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

full disclosure i'm totally going to watch at least the first episode of nucosmos

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just :jeb:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

im not gonna say it was aliens, but, it was aliens.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

angry_keebler posted:

you gotta open up the pod to get at them and opening the pod defrosts them and they pop up and start doing tough poses

phaser stun doesn't seem to work on them and good luck finding a sedative when joaquin and otto start doing dropkicks and peoples' elbows all over the med bay

yeah except to keep kirk alive while they're dancing on space trucks they pull one of the others out and shove kirk in the tube so your big hypothetical shitshow didn't actually happen

i liked the spergin out but c'mon you can't leave low hanging fruit like this around

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i'm gritting my teeth and drat i'm going to finish this shitshow, but holy gently caress thor the dark world is god loving awful

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

im not gonna say it was aliens, but, it was aliens.

well theres no evidence it wasn't aliens. ancient aliens even, they blurred out his title long ago and now the secrets are lost to time

god i hate that show

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ok i get that i posted the meme but please dont quote me and add onto the meme with more of the same meme it hurts my brand

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
So Almost Human season 1 ended without developing the story arc at all. No further explanation about the wall or anything else. Does this mean its canceled and they don't want people to get too attached?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

i look forward to hearing more about what the pre-strike draft for the bsg finale was supposed to be like someday

the hints that were being dropped at the time implied that some ideon-level poo poo was gonna go down

• Locked thread