Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Equilibrium posted:

You haven't witnessed the horrors of nationalism until you've seen 20,000 people cheer on a Cammy.

Yeah, even Arturo has jumped on that. He kept talking crap about gamerbee at winter brawl as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Ryuga Death posted:

Yeah, even Arturo has jumped on that. He kept talking crap about gamerbee at winter brawl as well.

He was popping off talking about how Wao is a scrub just now :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Infiltration got away with murder about a million times during that match and it was great.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

getitoffgetitoff posted:

He was popping off talking about how Wao is a scrub just now :v:

Haha, yeah, he also said something about Michael-tan being a caddy or whatever for Wao. :v:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

East Coast/EMP winning the first three majors of the year in SF4 is amazing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TenaciousJ posted:

Go back and look at his Hakan matches.

They're fun, true, but mostly he's boring to watch. Dude's drat good but it's just so cold an calculated when he plays I just don't really care, in and out of matches.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Infiltration is good at making me root for the other player.

I've never wanted PR Balrog to win more than when they faced off at Evo.

He's this insurmountable obstacle and I think he's great in that he brings out the best in his opponents.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress character loyalty, infiltration is legit. That was a very hype finals, but the way the match flowed made me root for kbrad since infiltration seemed to reset the bracket very easily. Good poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah, as good as he is Infiltration is like Chris G in Marvel for me

Chris G is a loser who only knows how to play like two match ups and doesn't give a poo poo about anything. Infiltration is a guy who subtely knows how to work up a crowd, has a lot of experience as seen by the absurd amount of characters and games he can play, and is just a plain nice guy who compliments those who best him instead of being all salty and going on tirades on Twitter. Apples and oranges if I ever saw a case.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

HoneyBoy posted:

Infiltration is good at making me root for the other player.

This is most of why I like him. Dude's a cool guy to root against, and unlike Chris G I'm never legitimately unhappy when he wins because by all accounts he's a nice guy.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
If you root for Viper and Cammy you must really hate Street Fighter!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Mio Bison posted:

If you root for Viper and Cammy you must really hate Street Fighter!

Can't tell if you're actually being ironic but if you weren't rooting for Jayce in his matches vs. Wao and Infil grats on having no heart.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Brett824 posted:

Can't tell if you're actually being ironic but if you weren't rooting for Jayce in his matches vs. Wao and Infil grats on having no heart.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic, what with the exclamation point and all.

The post I couldn't tell about early was the one that made a remark about "the horrors of nationalism." It seemed dramatic enough to be a joke and I hope it is, but I don't know. After a decade here I'm still blindsided by some goonpinions.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Not an ounce of sarcasm, gently caress those characters. If you think Jayce and K-Brad were the underdogs in their matches with the internationals you're a nut.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Mio Bison posted:

Not an ounce of sarcasm, gently caress those characters.
This, plus as not-american, I don't care much for american players.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Infiltration was a lot of fun to watch at SCR both while he was playing and crowd monstering. I'll agree that his Akuma play is boring as hell to watch, but I honestly wanted to see his Chun take it over Cammy. That said I was rooting for Wao, Kayce, and pretty much everyone else he took out in losers over him.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Mio Bison posted:

Not an ounce of sarcasm, gently caress those characters. If you think Jayce and K-Brad were the underdogs in their matches with the internationals you're a nut.

While I don't have as strong an opinion on the characters mentioned, I agree that there's no reason to think of Jayce and KBrad as underdogs. They're both very capable players. In the end it's silly to think of anyone in top 8 at a tournament that big as an underdog but against dudes like Infiltration, players certainly do become inaccurately branded as such.

Doggboat posted:

This, plus as not-american, I don't care much for american players.

I don't get it. How does one aline themselves as "not-american" and have disdain for people from America (do you mean United States, North America, all Americas, what?) playing a video game?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Mio Bison posted:

I don't exclusively root for underdogs though, and no one should? What are you even talking about. Jayce is a young player who we've seen grow as a player on the west coast for years, and is generally part of the "next generation". Who the gently caress is Wao? A foreign player who's been around for a while but no one gave a poo poo about until he started doing decently well in Japan with a moderately obscure character. Maybe I "hate street fighter" for rooting for Jayce over Wao, but if you rooted for Wao you're probably a Bad Person In General.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
If you dont like the same street fighter player as me I'll cut your loving face.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Saoshyant posted:

Chris G is a loser who only knows how to play like two match ups and doesn't give a poo poo about anything.

I know it's the cool thing to hate on ChrisG, but this is the dumbest burn I've read about him. His Sakura has run through the entire roster. I haven't been able to consistently catch the usual weeklies and majors this year so far, but even if he hasn't done as well as he used to, his Sakura has run through a lot of opponents.

Getting back to the SCR final, I fell asleep watching Infiltration resetting the match. Watching him play Chun Li was boring.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Satorr posted:

I don't get it. How does one aline themselves as "not-american" and have disdain for people from America (do you mean United States, North America, all Americas, what?) playing a video game?
I'm not sure I understand that question(btw I don't aline myself as "not-american", I am not american. People living outside the USA are a thing).
Anyway, I have no disdain for anyone. I just don't favour someone, because they come from a certain country or region. I'm not gonna root for a cammy or viper.

Assuming someone is sarcastic or has disdain for a group of people, because they don't agree with you is hosed up.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Doggboat posted:

I'm not sure I understand that question(btw I don't aline myself as "not-american", I am not american. People living outside the USA are a thing).
Anyway, I have no disdain for anyone. I just don't favour someone, because they come from a certain country or region. I'm not gonna root for a cammy or viper.

Assuming someone is sarcastic or has disdain for a group of people, because they don't agree with you is hosed up.

You don't just favor someone because they come from a certain country or region and have no disdain for anyone but you don't care for American players? :confused:

I forgot that I like the FGC a lot more when I don't pay attention to the community.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Doggboat posted:

Obviously there are people from outside of the USA. Identifying as "not from [place x]" in any case simply seems odd to me.

What does the region/country matter in the case of Street Fighter? I know I've expressed in the past that it's somewhat of a letdown when top 8 is heavily stacked with players from one region (be it Japan, Korea, SoCal, NorCal, NY, etc.) because they're matches I've seen many times already. You appear to be against any players at all from all of the United States, regardless of situation, which I do not understand.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Wao could be some dude named Bilbo from the midwest who plays anyone but Cammy/Viper/Fuerte and I'd root for him over Jayce. You (Breet) keep talking about player backgrounds and nationality like I'm supposed to care about that instead of the game. You can flip the nationalities if you want or say one or both of them is from the moon, maybe one is a girl and the other player is a dolphin, it doesn't matter, I'm consistent. Viper hijinks and Cammy jumping at Chun two hundred times in two sets is smart AE2012 play but it's boring Street Fighter.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
poo poo, I would root for a SF4 playing Dolphin any day. Forget all you dumb people.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Caitlin posted:

You don't just favor someone because they come from a certain country or region and have no disdain for anyone but you don't care for American players? :confused:

I forgot that I like the FGC a lot more when I don't pay attention to the community.

He's saying that he doesn't favor American players over non-American players, in response to the post that you're bad if you weren't rooting for Jayce. That's literally all there is to it, you're overreading things.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

Wao could be some dude named Bilbo from the midwest who plays anyone but Cammy/Viper/Fuerte and I'd root for him over Jayce. You (Breet) keep talking about player backgrounds and nationality like I'm supposed to care about that instead of the game. You can flip the nationalities if you want or say one or both of them is from the moon, maybe one is a girl and the other player is a dolphin, it doesn't matter, I'm consistent. Viper hijinks and Cammy jumping at Chun two hundred times in two sets is smart AE2012 play but it's boring Street Fighter.

If you don't care about anything but the game, just play the game. I watch people play the game for the stories, the moments, the connections, etc. If I just cared about the play, I would... play the game? Acting elitist and saying it's "only about the quality of the play" is one thing I'll never understand.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Satorr posted:

Obviously there are people from outside of the USA. Identifying as "not from [place x]" in any case simply seems odd to me.

What does the region/country matter in the case of Street Fighter? I know I've expressed in the past that it's somewhat of a letdown when top 8 is heavily stacked with players from one region (be it Japan, Korea, SoCal, NorCal, NY, etc.) because they're matches I've seen many times already. You appear to be against any players at all from all of the United States, regardless of situation, which I do not understand.

I think you misread his post a bit. Since most of you guys are from the USA, "not-american" is a decent catch-all when your specific nationality doesn't matter. Plus, I don't think he's against all Americans, it's just that as a foreigner, there isn't a regional connection like the one Brett mentioned.

(although I'll say Americans aren't the most popular people outside of America...)

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Mio Bison posted:

one or both of them is from the moon, maybe one is a girl and the other player is a dolphin, it doesn't matter

I have never read a more wrong statement about whether you should root for something. If you see a moon-dolphin doing lightning loops you root for that loving dolphin, even if it is doing Zero-May-Cry.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Redmark posted:

He's saying that he doesn't favor American players over non-American players, in response to the post that you're bad if you weren't rooting for Jayce. That's literally all there is to it, you're overreading things.

It was a legitimate misunderstanding that may be due to the fact that Doggboat is non-American. In English parlance saying "I don't care for American players" reads like "I think American players are overrated" not "nationalism doesn't enter my appreciation of the FGC."

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Nahxela posted:

poo poo, I would root for a SF4 playing Dolphin any day. Forget all you dumb people.

Is that sign language gorilla that killed cats with hugs still alive? I want to see it learn Street Fighter.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Brett824 posted:

Maybe I "hate street fighter" for rooting for Jayce over Wao, but if you rooted for Wao you're probably a Bad Person In General.

If you don't like the same street fighter as me, you're literally hitler imo. My favorite 3 are Floe, Luminaire (remember? that one guy who almost beat infiltration that one time???) and Mike Ross, and any time the Top 8 doesn't have any of these players I poop my diaper and start crying because everyone at the tournament is being mean to me, an objectively right street fighter player liker and good person

:rolleyes:

Nahxela posted:

Not if it's from the Sea of Japan though. Gotta stay true to my roots :911:

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Satorr posted:

You appear to be against any players at all from all of the United States, regardless of situation, which I do not understand.
No I don't appear to be against anybody. I clearly stated my position. I literally wrote "I don't favour anyone based on region" and you understood it as "I'm against americans". What the gently caress.

edit: thanks Dias. He got it right, so if you got any more questions just read his post over and over again.

Doggboat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The only fighting games a Dolphin can play are Smash and TvC.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Doggboat posted:

No I don't appear to be against anybody. I clearly stated my position. I literally wrote "I don't favour anyone based on region" and you understood it as "I'm against americans". What the gently caress.

"I don't care for something", in English, means you actively dislike it, not that you simply don't care about it. "Care for" is different from "care about", I think that's where the confusion stems from.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Mio Bison posted:

Cammy jumping at Chun two hundred times in two sets is smart AE2012 play but it's boring Street Fighter.

Personally I thought it was alright to watch because I can't remember ever seeing Cammy and Chun that high up in a tournament. There were a great deal of surprises and it went down to the wire.

It was certainly better than the Oni vs Fuerte match earlier. That was super scattershot. I really got the impression that both of them had very little knowledge of the matchup and were trying to overwhelm each other. It was entertaining, but in a comedic fashion. I'd love to see a first to ten of an odd match like that to see how they have adapted by the end.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"I don't care for something", in English, means you actively dislike it, not that you simply don't care about it. "Care for" is different from "care about", I think that's where the confusion stems from.
I apologise for using the wrong word(english is my second language). Still I thought my second post would have cleared up the confusion.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Dias posted:

Hey man, GC got a couple ports.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Dias posted:

:golfclap:

Doggboat posted:

No I don't appear to be against anybody. I clearly stated my position. I literally wrote "I don't favour anyone based on region"

???

No, you did not write that. You wrote:

Doggboat posted:

I just don't favour someone, because they come from a certain country or region.

"I don't favour anyone based on region" tells me that you don't allow a player's home turf to determine whether you care for them or not.

"I just don't favour someone, because they come from a certain country or region." tells me that you do allow a player's home turf to determine whether you care for them or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Nobody cares shut up.