Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

frozentreasure posted:

Spaghetti Bolognese. It's gotta win someday.

Agreed. Voting spag bol also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Spaghetti Bolognese

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Spaghetti Bolognese

or an XXL GRILLED STUFT STEAK BURRITO

frolf means frog golf

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Senerio posted:

Spaghetti Bolognese

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

mico eat the borscht

Actually, I still want Frolf Kiev.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Borscht Chicken Kiev.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the most topical food would be Borscht. Which is why you should do that.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Well, since that ain't ever going to happen, in for samosas.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Well, since that ain't ever going to happen,

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

Spaghetti Bolognese. It's gotta win someday.

This.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Since it seems like you're going for maximum crossover of the LPs you're involved with, I think you should cook frog legs and end the video with you whacking them with a golf club.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

What was with Cooking Mama's chow mein? Chow mein means the noodles are fried and hard; lo mein is what you call it when you add soft, boiled noodles instead.

Kiev some chicken.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Cooking Mama just has problems. It does a lot of weird poo poo westerners aren't used to, like using that curry bouillon cube or not deep-frying their cheeseburgs.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Spag Bol. It will win. It must.

Gamer McBaggin
Oct 13, 2013
I enjoyed the Chow Mein episode.

How does adding too much oil ruin the dish or was it the fact you had oil flying out of the pan that will burn you?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Gamer McBaggin posted:

How does adding too much oil ruin the dish or was it the fact you had oil flying out of the pan that will burn you?

It's not just you, it's everyone! Fire is an everpresent danger to us all.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gamer McBaggin posted:

Good luck searing the chicken in that much fat, if you noticed his chicken was depressingly pale after cooking. Also it's loving gross why would you use that much oil

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samosa because I have no idea what it is

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

This is my actual vote

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Samosas, because I kinda want some samosas.

Also, what in the hell was Cooking Mama doing in that last step? You shred the dough with a, what is that, a curved dough cutter?

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Genocyber posted:

This.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Spaghetti Bolognese,

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
when u mico com home and make hte spagheti

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Spag Bol! I love me some pasta!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I would like to see latkes at some point. Preferably with sriracha.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Hedera Helix posted:

I would like to see latkes at some point. Preferably with sriracha.

If there's a cooking mama game with latkes in it this is news to me.

Also Latke's are alot of loving work you basically have to hand squeeze all the juice out of a potato and its loving miserable.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
and a Chicken Enchirito

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Spaghetti Bolognese

By the way, I was planning on making that Curry recipe you did first (I've never had curry in my life, I live in a small town in the Southern USA). Do Canned Tomatoes smell like absolute rear end to anyone else? I always worry that they've gone bad because they just smell horrendous, eugh.

Also like your co-commentator, I hate coconut. Can I just substitute it 1 to 1 with chicken broth or do I have to use different amounts?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Curry's pretty versatile you can make changes without too much of an issue.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd probably go a little lighter on chicken stock, lest it get to thin.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mico posted:

You made me hungry for curry so I made some yellow curry with shrimp and golly it was good. I need to stop reading this thread so I don't get fat--everything you make seems to inspire me to either replicate it or to cook something else (and eat it. all of it).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mico posted:

To expand on this, the word "curry" is derived from the Tramil (an Indian language) word that essentially means "sauce." As such, there are dozens of curry spice blends and hundreds of ways you can put them to use. For a stir-fry, just take your 3-5 most favorite vegetables and some kind of meat (or skip the meat; it's Indian food so it'll work fine vegetarian), cut them into strips, and then fry them in the curry powder plus any kind of oil and maybe some soy sauce. For soup, dice the vegetables, add a hearty amount of any kind of bean, and boil until the meat is done and/or the beans are soft. Either way, once it's done, serve over rice or egg noodles and enjoy.

Gwrrrk
Jun 27, 2013
Putting my vote in for samosas.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To expand on this, the word "curry" is derived from the Tramil (an Indian language) word that essentially means "sauce." As such, there are dozens of curry spice blends and hundreds of ways you can put them to use. For a stir-fry, just take your 3-5 most favorite vegetables and some kind of meat (or skip the meat; it's Indian food so it'll work fine vegetarian), cut them into strips, and then fry them in the curry powder plus any kind of oil and maybe some soy sauce. For soup, dice the vegetables, add a hearty amount of any kind of bean, and boil until the meat is done and/or the beans are soft. Either way, once it's done, serve over rice or egg noodles and enjoy.

Alton Brown did a pretty good gag with this in an episode of Good Eats. When he called up an "outsourced tech support line" and asked the Indian fellow on the other end where he'd go for a good curry, he got told "London". Curry as most Westerners know it is pretty much unknown in India, it came about when a merchant or some such was trying to recreate the flavors he'd encountered in India without, you know, bothering to actually ask any questions while he was actually there. Can't be going around talking to filthy brown people too much. Japanese curries are derivative of this somewhat racist British knockoff rather than the Indian original.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What was with Cooking Mama's chow mein? Chow mein means the noodles are fried and hard; lo mein is what you call it when you add soft, boiled noodles instead.

Kiev some chicken.

You're thinking of the Cantonese specific version which is pan fried. "Chow mein" literally is stir fried noodles. Lo mein is when you just mix noodles with a sauce. I believe your confusion comes from American Chinese cuisine where you can call your dish whatever you want and no one will know.

Cooking Mama is Japanese so I'd assume that all their Chinese recipies are going to be actual Chinese food (or close enough) and not American Chinese.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 5, 2014

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

Alton Brown did a pretty good gag with this in an episode of Good Eats. When he called up an "outsourced tech support line" and asked the Indian fellow on the other end where he'd go for a good curry, he got told "London". Curry as most Westerners know it is pretty much unknown in India, it came about when a merchant or some such was trying to recreate the flavors he'd encountered in India without, you know, bothering to actually ask any questions while he was actually there. Can't be going around talking to filthy brown people too much. Japanese curries are derivative of this somewhat racist British knockoff rather than the Indian original.
I watched my dad make curry as a kid. He was from a small town in northern India. It always turned out like a stew and was mostly an assortment of whatever we had around the house at the time as far as what went into it. My mom watched and learned and made a recipe for it. I can post it if anyone is interested. We always eat it with our hands and Chappathi, basically a flat bread like a pita, that is fried in a bit of butter until it is golden brown and delicious.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

pandaK posted:

Samoa stuffed with chicken Kiev on top of spaghetti Bolognese

This is how a winner thinks. But if not, samosas.

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

You're thinking of the Cantonese specific version which is pan fried. "Chow mein" literally is stir fried noodles. Lo mein is when you just mix noodles with a sauce. I believe your confusion comes from American Chinese cuisine where you can call your dish whatever you want and no one will know.

Cooking Mama is Japanese so I'd assume that all their Chinese recipies are going to be actual Chinese food (or close enough) and not American Chinese.

I think Cooking Mama is making knife cut noodles. In the video, she is shaving the dough into the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Tin Foil posted:

I think Cooking Mama is making knife cut noodles. In the video, she is shaving the dough into the water.

My bad, you're right. I didn't really pay attention to the Cooking Mama part of the video when I watched it earlier but the end product does looks like noodle soup with "knife cut noodles".

This video demonstrates the technique a little better than Cooking Mama does for those who are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQ08c_S_nE

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 5, 2014

• Locked thread