Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we venture into purple land for the first time. What horrors await?

Super Mario Dream World 2 Part 4: Purple Land the first(with Seeric and E-Tank)

Doseku fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

Wait, you recognized some of this junk?

Hey, Guilty Gear has loving amazing music and I'll have none of it :colbert:. Here's what I could identify in the first few stages.
Terra Drake - Venom's theme, "A Solitude That Asks Nothing in Return"
Thunder Gull - Chipp's theme, "Suck a Sage"
Tsunami Drake - May's theme, "Blue Water Sky"
Also, Loco Leaper is Strider's theme from Marvel vs. Capcom. Because fighting games.

Of course, being some lovely fan flash game they're all compressed to all hell and sound like loving poo poo. And obviously having no sense of judgement means they'll still think it's a good idea.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Mega Magnum P.I.X.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nidoking posted:

There's also Mario music whenever Rick is in the cutscenes. He's not just a Mary Sue - he's the flagship Mary Sue.

They also use F-Zero music in a few areas.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
This is what happens when you make turtles darker and grittier.

TMNT Gabotico (with E-Tank)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

They also use F-Zero music in a few areas.

Wait really? sheesh...now I'm scared to ask if anyone can ID the boss music.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
EDIT: I'm getting confused which game we're talking about... gotta listen again to the boss music from the right one.

Does Megaman X Next even HAVE boss music? I can't hear anything over the commentary and the in-game sound effects.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 3, 2014

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

nendymion posted:

Today we venture into purple land for the first time. What horrors await?

Super Mario Dream World 2 Part 4: Purple Land the first(with Seeric and E-Tank)
The ribcage sprites are from the desert levels in Super Mario Bros. 2. They act as those logs you find on the waterfalls in other levels on the, uh, quicksand-falls. All of the sprites of the veggies that can be pushed are unaltered SMB2 sprites as well.

Also, I'm pretty certain that those walking flames that were in the last video are from Super Mario Bros. 3.

Kitten Head Ridge fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 3, 2014

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".
Here is a thing that I did. It's called Metroid: Confrontation and it's pretty good. It's a playable tech demo for the engine made for Another Metroid 2 Remake. The engine is great, the game is fun. Have some. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzj_Qgeyq0 Big thanks to Heavy Sigh, who did all the editing bits for me because I am lazy phenomenally bad at it lazy.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Assoonasitits posted:

Metroid: Confrontation

Funny you should mention it but Samus does appear in Kirby's Dreamland 3 :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

As you mentioned Other M, I feel the need to 'defend' Team Ninja.

The game sucked, but most of the sucking was Sakamoto's fault. He created the plot, he insisted on only using the Wiimote, etc.

Any other studio working under him would probably still have made something pretty drat lovely.

Now, Ninja Gaiden 3 sucking, that's all on them.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 5, 2014

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Kirby Dream Land 3

and also in Kirby Super Star

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nidoking posted:

EDIT: I'm getting confused which game we're talking about... gotta listen again to the boss music from the right one.

Does Megaman X Next even HAVE boss music? I can't hear anything over the commentary and the in-game sound effects.

You can sort of hear it in the Thunder Gull fight! :v:

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

As you mentioned Other M, I feel the need to 'defend' Team Ninja.

The game sucked, but most of the sucking was Sakurai's fault. He created the plot, he insisted on only using the Wiimote, etc.

Any other studio working under him would probably still have made something pretty drat lovely.

Now, Ninja Gaiden 3 sucking, that's all on them.

Sakamoto. When Sakurai writes, we get Kid Icarus: Uprising.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

Sakamoto. When Sakurai writes, we get Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Right, right.

Sakurai's cool.

I think the typo comes from jealousy.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

nendymion posted:

Kirby Dream Land 3

and also in Kirby Super Star

Okay, I played the ever-loving HELL out of super star, and I don't remember seeing that! What are the odds of it appearing?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Okay, I played the ever-loving HELL out of super star, and I don't remember seeing that! What are the odds of it appearing?

It is one of the 2 rarest stone variations you could get. The other one was a statue of Mario.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

nendymion posted:

TMNT Gabotico (with E-Tank)
That somersault sounds awfully familiar. If the game has the somersault slash, I hope that it doesn't sound like the Screw Attack.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
And we're back for the final stretch of Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles! (These three levels are probably the best part of the game)

The Lecarde Chronicles #15: The Light of Death
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, Dithiannim, and Chives)

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
And we finally finish Purple Land

Super Mario Dreamworld 2 Part 5: Upper Purple Land and Tower(with Seeric and E-Tank)

For those of you who are curious. The song that was added to the tower is Koopa Sour from More than Mario

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's mirror our earlier success, shall we?

The Lecarde Chronicles #16: Self-Reflection
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, Dithiannim, and Chives)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I, um, wow. I'm not sure I'll be clearing hard mode anytime soon. I'm still trying to clear that damned jump in the library part of the science lab. This requires a level of masochism it will take me awhile to muster.

There's a very interesting implicit plot point here. It looks like the Katarina we saw was just an illusion created by Friedrich- as was almost everything else in the castle. The phantoms, the ghostly parties, the poltergeists- it seems like it was this one guy with his mastery of mirrors creating most of the flashback-related stuff that kept interrupting us. Even that giant hand room- the hands are Friedrich's. You could say that until this stage you'd been in a castle of illusion! Which isn't to say that the other family members, death and the dungeons and stuff weren't real. At this point I wonder what Katarina's status is.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
MaelstormM delivers again.

Megaman Next 2
(Heavy Sigh, Assoonasitis, Simply Simon, Maswastaken)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Possibly the most terrifying words in this thread... "He made sequels." :stonk:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Can someone explain why these "Next" games are running so much faster than they're clearly supposed to?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Can someone explain why these "Next" games are running so much faster than they're clearly supposed to?

One stupid mistake that many game developers make (hell, I did it in my first attempt at a game) is to not cap the FPS at which the game runs. In other words, your main loop looks something like this:

1) Process input
2) Update game state

Depending on how powerful your computer is and how much stuff you're doing in the "update game state" step, this can take more or less time. As a result, the loop runs faster on powerful computers than it does on slower ones. However, the developer (running on only a single computer) may not realize this and simply tunes the speeds at which things happen so they look right on their personal computer.

The simplest "proper fix" is to do this instead:

1) Process input
2) Update game state
3) Wait until this iteration of the loop has taken 1 / (target frame rate) seconds

In this case the game will never run faster than your target frame rate, but can run slower (if you have a crap computer that can't do the loop fast enough).

There are also fancy tricks you can do so that faster computers can make use of their power to do more render steps (making animations look smoother without affecting the mechanics of gameplay) and stuff like that, but the basic problem is not having a variable-length sleep in the main loop.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

You know, there are a lot of things wrong about what he did, but this is the worst.

It's maelSTROM. It's not a storm, it's a STROM, but he encoded the wrong loving word into his online presence, into his loving internet DNA. gently caress you, you misspelled piece of poo poo, and gently caress your goddamn lovely-rear end piece of poo poo games. Your presence online is defined by failure, and so it shall continue to be, for all eternity. gently caress YOU.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

tinkerttoy posted:

You know, there are a lot of things wrong about what he did, but this is the worst.

It's maelSTROM. It's not a storm, it's a STROM, but he encoded the wrong loving word into his online presence, into his loving internet DNA. gently caress you, you misspelled piece of poo poo, and gently caress your goddamn lovely-rear end piece of poo poo games. Your presence online is defined by failure, and so it shall continue to be, for all eternity. gently caress YOU.

It's been like that for over fifteen years.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One stupid mistake that many game developers make (hell, I did it in my first attempt at a game) is to not cap the FPS at which the game runs. In other words, your main loop looks something like this:

1) Process input
2) Update game state

Depending on how powerful your computer is and how much stuff you're doing in the "update game state" step, this can take more or less time. As a result, the loop runs faster on powerful computers than it does on slower ones. However, the developer (running on only a single computer) may not realize this and simply tunes the speeds at which things happen so they look right on their personal computer.

The simplest "proper fix" is to do this instead:

1) Process input
2) Update game state
3) Wait until this iteration of the loop has taken 1 / (target frame rate) seconds

In this case the game will never run faster than your target frame rate, but can run slower (if you have a crap computer that can't do the loop fast enough).

There are also fancy tricks you can do so that faster computers can make use of their power to do more render steps (making animations look smoother without affecting the mechanics of gameplay) and stuff like that, but the basic problem is not having a variable-length sleep in the main loop.
Similarly why trying to win the Microscope puzzle in 7th Guest is drat near impossible nowadays.
It was coded to give the computer X seconds to figure out as many possible moves to win against the player. On today's hardware it figures every combination in that same amount of time.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Sigh, do not do the sequels to that. Think about the stupid loving children!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Heavy Sigh posted:

Let's mirror our earlier success, shall we?

Okay, that was some quality boss fight. Your mirror-clones seemed a little too sturdy for comfort, though.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Roll next reminded me of another flash game that I had played a long time ago that had that same kind of level design. Then it turned out that game was Megaman Next. I tried playing it and found it was just as horrible as I remembered it. Oddly enough though, it seems run to at a normal speed except for the primary menu screen. Good on you guys for trying to tackle such a bad series.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 13, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
The final stage of The Lecarde Chronicles! Featuring cruxifiction and a lotta spikes!

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles #17: The Hive of Villainy
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, Chives, Dithiannim, and I am the MOON )

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I wonder if the enemy names were better in the creator's original language.

What happens when you beat boss rush?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 14, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

I wonder if the enemy names were better in the creator's original language.

What happens when you beat boss rush?

Nothing. You get a time and that's it.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the shortest world so far.

Super Mario Dreamworld 2 Part 6: Green Land

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I just found an awesome Sonic rom hack called Sonic XL. The rings are now onion rings which makes sonic fatter the more he gets. Once he becomes too obese, he has a heart attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arveNmM1w6I

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

terrordactle posted:

I just found an awesome Sonic rom hack called Sonic XL. The rings are now onion rings which makes sonic fatter the more he gets. Once he becomes too obese, he has a heart attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arveNmM1w6I

Heard about that elsewhere. Not sure how I feel about it; it's hilarious, sure, but making rings bad kind goes contrary to the wonderful ding you hear with each collection that I'm used to.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

nendymion posted:

The original Eastman and Laird Ninja Turtles was pretty dark and violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
HEY HEAVYSIGH

SRB2 just got a HUGE update to 2.1.1 - check it out! New special stages, redesigned levels, tons of stuff!