Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can not reconcile the kinds of positive things my boss was saying about me with "meets expectations". Sigh.

Classic emotional manipulation. Boss doesn't want to give you a raise because it makes him look bad or he gets bonuses based on "saving money" or whatever. But he wants you to drink the kool-aid so he tells you he's so super special pleased with you, so that you'll think he's on your side. Sounds like my old boss. Glowing performance review, but when I asked for a raise, suddenly I'm "doing the bare minimum."

Talk is cheap. If I'm doing awesome, show me the loving money. And don't insult my intelligence by trying to sweet talk me the rest of the time if you aren't going to pony up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

NZAmoeba posted:

poo poo that comes across yearly that pisses you off: filling out my performance review and I'm staring at a blank page wanting to blow my loving brains out.

And I had a GOOD year :suicide:

Ours has canned responses available by pressing a button in the review webpage. Our boss is totally okay with us using this.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Sunday morning, might as well check what that one work tagged email in my box is because I hate myself

quote:

Tomorrow, Our 15-person Small Business will be changing from Gmail [apps] to Hosted Exchange.

Hosted Exchange will allow us to better manage Security & Compliance policies, delegate certain administrative features, create group and distribution emails, and integrate with our active directive.

Not making that up: the geniuses in charge did not know how to select the "groups" icon in gapps and create a group e-mail. Or do anything apparently. But it's ok, the boss set up Exchange Server at his house once, so we know everything about that!

oh good the email isn't over yet.

quote:

1. The change will take place tomorrow
Thanks for the warning :thumbsup:

quote:

6. Functionally, things are relatively the same. Exchange is more granular in its permissions, roles, etc. We can share calendars, create a shared calendar, created shared email accounts, and distribution groups. One example of the change in detail is that when we share our calendars, we decide if we are merely sharing whether or not we are busy, the meeting heading only, or the entire calendar entry.
i.e. poo poo You Can Do In Google Apps If You Bothered To loving Read Anything

But wait there's more! Gotta get those emails off of gmail somehow.

quote:

1. You will have to provide your password for the migration utility. As mentioned, this will be for a batch process. You have my word that we will not use these credentials to enter anyone’s account.

:suicide:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NZAmoeba posted:

poo poo that comes across yearly that pisses you off: filling out my performance review and I'm staring at a blank page wanting to blow my loving brains out.

And I had a GOOD year :suicide:

I've found it helpful to keep a journal of what I did every day, just so that A) I can force myself to stay on track with things and B) it's a great reference when someone (even yourself) asks "What did I do last may?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To be fair Google Apps really doesn't have a concept of a 'shared mailbox' that people who use Outlook can be comfortable with.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Zamujasa posted:

1. You will have to provide your password for the migration utility. As mentioned, this will be for a batch process. You have my word that we will not use these credentials to enter anyone’s account.

The powers that be require that there's a XLSX file, full of people's e-mail passwords for work e-mail.

Every time they change the password, I change it to something else.

I'm paranoid like that, see.

If anything, they should be giving you a password to put in.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Why can't they just give you instructions on how to migrate your own email? Just hand out this magical batch file, and don't give passwords away.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ynglaur posted:

Why can't they just give you instructions on how to migrate your own email? Just hand out this magical batch file, and don't give passwords away.

You're so cute.

pazuzu
Jan 2, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

From now on answer him in interpretative dance.

poo poo pissing me off today?

I created an update for a product, explicatly told the client it was for Versions 15000 - Anything inbetween.

The VERY loving NEXT EMAIL I GET IS:

"Hey Ratbert90, what versions of ${PRODUCT} does this update work on?"

Well to be fair, if that is exactly what you wrote, then it isn't very clear.

I mean, if the update passed testing on Version 15000 and Version 16000, and the product hadn't changed in a way that required testing the in-between versions, you could have said it works on Version 15000, 16000, and anything in-between. But what you wrote makes very little sense to me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: people who watch movies/music videos/anything with sound on a plane without loving headphones.

Also pissing me off: cabin crew who won't do anything about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why do Google still think it's still acceptable to half-finish their products and leave them in a perpetual state of beta?

Trying to get Cloud Print working so we can start testing Chrome devices in the office, but the Cloud Print Service for Windows is a huge piece of poo poo that needs to run as an Administrator user for no real reason, wipes out the settings every time you need to adjust anything, and randomly stops working.

How hard can it be to take the bits of Chrome responsible for Cloud Print and package them up into a little service with a non-poo poo UI? If you're Google it's impossible.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Caged posted:

Why do Google still think it's still acceptable to half-finish their products and leave them in a perpetual state of beta?

It does feel like they've been full of "idea people" who can't close the deal for the last 5 years or so, doesn't it?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Caged posted:

Trying to get Butt Print working so we can start testing Chrome devices in the office, but my Butt Print Service for Windows is a huge piece of poo poo that needs to run as an Administrator user for no real reason, wipes out the settings every time you need to adjust anything, and randomly stops working.

How hard can it be to take the bits of Chrome responsible for Butt Print and package them up into a little service with a non-poo poo UI? If you're Google it's impossible.

Cloud to butt extension makes this all better. I agree with what your'e saying about Google.

quote:

Butt to butt

:v:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Why can't they just give you instructions on how to migrate your own email?
:cawg:
I have a feeling you don't deal with users too often or have magically trained them to follow directions. :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pazuzu posted:

Well to be fair, if that is exactly what you wrote, then it isn't very clear.

I mean, if the update passed testing on Version 15000 and Version 16000, and the product hadn't changed in a way that required testing the in-between versions, you could have said it works on Version 15000, 16000, and anything in-between. But what you wrote makes very little sense to me.

It's a update to get the test units to the latest version. So it's 15000 to anything in between the latest.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Volmarias posted:

I've found it helpful to keep a journal of what I did every day, just so that A) I can force myself to stay on track with things and B) it's a great reference when someone (even yourself) asks "What did I do last may?"

Yeah I did that for my previous review, and that review loving owned if I do say so myself. I also made a point that year of keeping poignant emails that I could directly quote from talking about how awesome I am.

Unfortunately I slacked off on doing that this year, and had to spend my Sunday afternoon doing the whole review from start to finish because the two weeks the review process was open I was out of the country (on business).

Still glad I have my girlfriend to proof read though, she was an English major so writes a drat sight better than I do. Kept making me rephrase the way I said things so that they'd be positive terms, instead of negative ones.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I might have trapped myself at work. I woke up really early this morning and after an hour or two decided to just come into work around 5 am since we have pretty liberal flex hours, it was sleeting moderately hard but I figured it would all melt when the sun came out. I just looked out the window and we're already over an inch of snow, and I drive a microcar. Things are coming down hard, and I forgot to pack a lunch. Thankfully there's a 24 hour gas station less than 15 minutes walk away so I won't starve.

Edit: Yep, I'm not making it out real soon. Thankfully someone else came in who drives something more approprate for the snow who has offered me a lift if I can't make it out at the end of the day.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 3, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I might have trapped myself at work. I woke up really early this morning and after an hour or two decided to just come into work around 5 am since we have pretty liberal flex hours, it was sleeting moderately hard but I figured it would all melt when the sun came out. I just looked out the window and we're already over an inch of snow, and I drive a microcar. Things are coming down hard, and I forgot to pack a lunch. Thankfully there's a 24 hour gas station less than 15 minutes walk away so I won't starve.

Edit: Yep, I'm not making it out real soon. Thankfully someone else came in who drives something more approprate for the snow who has offered me a lift if I can't make it out at the end of the day.

And here I am having my 8-10 inches of snow turn into a light dusting. Yay?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Companies that patch their product at 8AM on Monday :suicide:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I see your one inch of snow and raise you this:

Snowbanks higher than my car. This particular road I take to work is constantly down to one lane due to snow drifts. Plows can barely keep up with the upkeep when it's snowy or even just windy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Turned up our new circuit Friday. Nothing fancy, just a 10mb but since we are coming from T1 land it's like amazing and poo poo.

Boss: I ran speedtests all weekend from my desk and never got over 6.4 megs. What gives?

Me: It's not accurate. Quit running speedtest.

Boss: OMG it's 10mb I want 10mb from speedtest

Me: There are 250 other machines sharing the line. Look at our bandwidth graphs, there's 4mb being used right now. 6 + 4 = 10 :haw:

Boss: But we should be seeing 10mb on speedtest!

Me: :argh:

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

A c E posted:

I see your one inch of snow and raise you this:

Snowbanks higher than my car. This particular road I take to work is constantly down to one lane due to snow drifts. Plows can barely keep up with the upkeep when it's snowy or even just windy.

I was actually counting up in the edit before I figured screw it, we're at 4 inches or so now.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
You need a new job.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Bob Morales posted:

Turned up our new circuit Friday. Nothing fancy, just a 10mb but since we are coming from T1 land it's like amazing and poo poo.

Boss: I ran speedtests all weekend from my desk and never got over 6.4 megs. What gives?

Me: There are 250 other machines sharing the line. Look at our bandwidth graphs, there's 4mb being used right now. 6 + 4 = 10 :haw:

So network traffic is kind of like a highway...

E: I love having a neophyte for a boss. I can do anything I want as long as I can come up with a convincing analogy to justify it

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 3, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't mind that he's a moron, I mind that he wastes all my time and thinks he knows the right way to do things and interferes with everything.

The guy has been here 25+ years, doesn't know poo poo about technology, has never worked another job in his life (other than a car wash or something in high school)...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Tell him you want it in writing, then take his machine and plug it directly into where the network comes in. Unplug the other machines. Leave for lunch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'll admit, while I know speedtest isn't that accurate I will abuse the poo poo out of it to get Virgin to boost my net. If anything, it means my connection drops less because they boost me, which is good because before I started abusing it, my internet dropped constantly.

poo poo that's pissing me off? A customer is trying to say they've been down for a month because I told them to restart their server. This is of course, bullshit. I told them I was going to restart a service on their server for them, they went "its ok, i'll just turn it off and on again" and hit the power switch before I could respond. It didn't have a UPS attached. However, it started up again and hey, the program was working again!

Of course, the server happens to keel over a month later and because I was the last techie to talk to them about it, i've apparently killed it, deleted the ticket (i've found it and shown them it) and now its all some grand conspiracy to get a couple grand out of them. gently caress you clients, we get all our profits through licensing anyway! Servers make us jack poo poo in comparison, it is literally better for us not to sabotage your crap as after overhead costs are factored in, i'm pretty sure we lose money replacing it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

I'll admit, while I know speedtest isn't that accurate I will abuse the poo poo out of it to get Virgin to boost my net. If anything, it means my connection drops less because they boost me, which is good because before I started abusing it, my internet dropped constantly.
speedtest.ournewISP.net returns 9+ Mb but he thinks they have it rigged :haw:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Oh gee I guess I'm out of my depth trying to deal with this. It's probably best if you talk to the ISP directly"

Then go and do something worthwhile.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Caged posted:

"Oh gee I guess I'm out of my depth trying to deal with this. It's probably best if you talk to the ISP directly"

Then go and do something worthwhile.

Boss: "Bob, why don't you talk to the ISP directly for me"

You know it'll happen. Depending on who the ISP is though, they might actually push your speed above what they're actually selling you to get you to shut up, so i'd give it a go if your boss is that insistent about it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Time for the :itisacar: analogy.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
People who undermine the ticketing system.

The guy where I with who is the closest thing I have to a mentor figure has worked exclusively with a sales administrator with regards to their laptop fleet decided that the ticketing system is not a good enough means of communicating and documenting work done. No. Instead he decided that all communications are to be done via direct email. Fast forward about 2-3 years of this being SOP and me trying to break the habit with the sales admin

So I get an email in about 6~ to send out the laptops in question on Thursday evening, triage doesn't see it because it's not in response to a ticket and low and behold when I come in Friday, I don't see it because apparently all of the things are on fire and it's not in the support queue and is still marked awaiting Client Action (Sign the bloody work papers) Now of course, I had to leave early last Friday and another email comes in circa, 4pm requesting a Saturday delivery date.

I come in Monday and poo poo has hit the fan.

I understand that it's mostly my fault for not going through the 200+ mails of noise during my own time (That's Sarcasm by the Way), but goddammit stop making it acceptable for the client to bypass the ticket system! If I'm out I have a well documented process on how to get this stuff out. The devices were already prepared and marked as such. It would literally have taken 20 minutes to get them labeled to ship and out the door.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off today:

Bugzilla? More like Featurezilla.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
You guys know that the way to deal with micromanagers is to talk and talk and talk and give unnecessary detail upon unnecessary detail until it's not worth their time to ask questions anymore, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Misogynist posted:

You guys know that the way to deal with micromanagers is to talk and talk and talk and give unnecessary detail upon unnecessary detail until it's not worth their time to ask questions anymore, right?

I've tried flooding him with screenshots and graphs and stats and poo poo and he replies with

SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SHOW ME

THAT GRAPH ONLY SAYS 8MB HOW DO YOU KNOW ITS TEN

We got in a big email fight the other day and I told him his questions are so basic an repetitive that I wanted to know if he was just loving with me.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Misogynist posted:

I didn't know this, actually. As a manager who fights against the instinct to micromanage, I'm pretty sure I've had this done to me and now that I think about... yeah, pretty sure that works.

Pissing me off today: The endless stream of dipshits coming to ask me questions that I don't know the answer to, but end up solving with 30 seconds of googling. You couldn't loving google it yourself?

RangerAce fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

RangerAce posted:

Pissing me off today: The endless stream of dipshits coming to ask me questions that I don't know the answer to, but end up solving with 30 seconds of googling. You couldn't loving google it yourself?
They call me the Google SME (Subject Matter Expert) now because of the number of times people walk up to my desk, ask me a question, and I Google it in front of them to answer it.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Misogynist posted:

My boss isn't a micromanager and I inadvertently do this anyway. Maybe he'll stop managing me, period. :haw:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just give them a list. Like, literally, I do Get-SCVirtualMachine * | Export-CSV BS.csv and wish them good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bob Morales posted:

I've tried flooding him with screenshots and graphs and stats and poo poo and he replies with

SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SHOW ME

THAT GRAPH ONLY SAYS 8MB HOW DO YOU KNOW ITS TEN

We got in a big email fight the other day and I told him his questions are so basic an repetitive that I wanted to know if he was just loving with me.
You're flooding him with data instead of just talking at him