Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently this is a stab by CMON at Soda Pop over their dissolved business relationship, so I'd say the only synergy intended is "we plan to steal all your potential customers with our own version of the game before you put SDE: Forgotten King up on KS for funding" which has apparently now been rushed forward to start before the Arcadia Quest one ends.

The annoying thing about this is that I do demos for CMoN. They are still taking SDE/Relic Knight demos, but it's this weird sort of will-they/won't-they limbo state right now.

With the gameplay video out I don't see much of a correlation: they play completely different and I would say that the art/models are more like Kaosball than SDE. Though I understand the confusion: chibi style heroes vs monsters played on tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently this is a stab by CMON at Soda Pop over their dissolved business relationship,

Wow holy poo poo, I didn't even realize Soda Pop wasn't behind this. Everything about this has the SDE 16-bit videogame flavor, right up to calling it "Arcadia." (ARCADE get it? :rolleyes:)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone backed or played Arcadia Quest? I'm not really a mini person but...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/arcadia-quest

Ugh, its rules does that annoying thing where you roll for attack and roll for defense. I can understand the appeal from a design perspective, but requiring twice the amount of rolling for every attack action, which I assume happens regularly, gets real tedious real fast. That, and the fact that it introduces an incredible amount of variance would annoy me too.

That being said, if you have an entrepreneurial spirit and some spare scratch, I would still back this since CMON Kickstarters resell for a considerable amount of change.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Lagoon Update.

So the new tile will have 2 big game changing sites that can never be removed from the board, only switched from one to the other. Should be interesting.

The new goal is at 150k. If we somehow reach that mark then David Chott, the game creator, will write out posts about Lagoon's lore and history every week starting from April and until the game is sent to backers. I'm very interested in this, hoping that the lore and history will be as compelling as the art, but it'll be quite a challenge to get all that in the time left.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Thedandmom posted:

DECK OF LEGENDS (I saw there was some chatter)

There were issues with money estimates after the size of the deck increased and I hit a bit of a wall. I'm currently finishing up for another smaller project so that I can afford to get the decks printed. I'm hoping to have the decks out and shipped sometime in April. I already have the other reward material ordered and ready to go. Prints, buttons, packing material, and bookmarks, all set and ready to go.

I saw your KS message earlier about the shipping costs and such, and I appreciate your coming here to let us know what's up, but I'd be sending out more KS messages to keep backers updated.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
From what I understand, rcadia Quest is a game made to look like SDE, because Soda Pop and CMON aren't besties anymore after throwing each other under the bus for the atrocious delays regarding Relic Knights. Given that Soda Pop has three minis properties they maintain or help maintain (SDE, RK, and Robotech via Ninja Division,) and only one of them has a game out (RK models have been out for a while as art models,) and that CMON has helped several games launch on time (Zombicide, Sedition Wars...kinda, and Kaos Ball, Guilds of Cadwallon, and Rivet Wars,) I tend to believe the latter.

Soda Pop's in a real bind, looks like. They're eliminating friends who are now trying to directly compete with them, only really have one product line up and running, and work with Palladium on a project. I have no idea what is going through Soda Pop, but I see all this, and I really wonder why they aren't trying to get a business loan, grow a little, and handle their rising success. All three of their lines have proven in some format to be popular, and if they could just shore up the issues on the back-end, they could be someone gamers pay attention to over the next 5 years.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Indolent Bastard posted:

Has anyone here played Lagoon by chance?

Crosspost from the Board Games thread, but in short: Yes, I've played the print-and-play version several times with 2, 3, and 4 people and it's a lot of fun. Every game is entirely different and the final artwork is only going to make it that much more amazing.

I'm not expecting 15 grand in the last 7 hours for the final stretch goal, but I figure he'll probably release lore for the game eventually anyway.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently this is a stab by CMON at Soda Pop over their dissolved business relationship, so I'd say the only synergy intended is "we plan to steal all your potential customers with our own version of the game before you put SDE: Forgotten King up on KS for funding" which has apparently now been rushed forward to start before the Arcadia Quest one ends.

Whoa, what happened there? You make it sound like an acrimonious split.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gau posted:

I can't believe this poo poo. This is a parody, it has to be.

For a better illustration of its sheer groundbreaking genius, look at the character sheets.

Str, Agi, End, Int, Wil, Cha? Incredibly different from the six D&D stats arranged in the order they were in 3.X.

Defence: Agi*3
Damage: 1d6 per 5 Str?
Speed: Agi + 1/2*Str?

Carrying capacity? In the year 2014? For a generic sci-fi game?

And a table for how to roll more than 10d6 on the bottom of every character sheet.

This looks like a great new innovative game. Even borrowing from such a groundbreaking game as Numenera in the [Name] is a [trait] [age] [species] [career] who [somethings].

:allears:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Ugh, its rules does that annoying thing where you roll for attack and roll for defense. I can understand the appeal from a design perspective, but requiring twice the amount of rolling for every attack action, which I assume happens regularly, gets real tedious real fast. That, and the fact that it introduces an incredible amount of variance would annoy me too.

Wouldn't more dice rolls make the game less swingy though, since as a sample size increases the average of the actual outcomes will more closely approximate the mathematical probability?

Also, I've been using this to keep an eye out for new boardgame kickstarters:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/166154/2014-kickstarter-boardgame-projects/page/1

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

While "roll against target number" is more streamlined, wouldn't it be more boring from a "multiple people playing against each other, holy crap hurry up and end your turn so I can do something" perspective? Plus they have bonuses for rolling (a crit system) and different items.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone backed or played Arcadia Quest? I'm not really a mini person but...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/arcadia-quest

I thought about it, but then I saw the gameplay video and said no. In the video, every turn is basically one player moving one character, attacking something, rolling attack dice followed by defense and possible retaliation rolls. During this time, the rest of the players just sat there except for the one player who got to roll for the monster. This literally went on for the entire hour of the video, and they never even finished the adventure. There were no interesting tactical decisions and many abilities seemed rather vanilla (+X attack die, +Y defense die, etc.) with mostly uncomplicated turns.

The game looks rather shallow and the price is way more than I would pay for such a game. I honestly can't see me wanting to play this many times in a row let alone more than once or twice. The minis and all the cute colorful cards are just fluff imo.

Note I've never played SDE or games like this, so if that's what those games are like as well, then I'd say the same about them.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

medchem posted:

I thought about it, but then I saw the gameplay video and said no.

I also decided no, $100 is to steep for a game I haven't played.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone still remember Mark Rein*Hagen's I Am Zombie? No? Well he forgot too. It is now a generic fantasy game using a d20 system.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I just want to give props to the guy running the Lagoon kickstarter. A few comments in here convinced me to back it and I received a personalized message thanking me for backing the project. I know it's just a form letter that has my name stuck into it, but it demonstrates a certain level of quality and style that I don't think I've actually seen from any other projects I've supported. I mean, he had to send those messages to some 3400 people, that takes effort and makes me feel more secure in having given money to him. Regardless of if he is actually going to follow through is irrelevant (He looks reliable to me though) it's the fact the the project feels solid that's important in getting people to support you.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Does anyone still remember Mark Rein*Hagen's I Am Zombie? No? Well he forgot too. It is now a generic fantasy game using a d20 system.

Saw that a month and a half ago :) The part that amazes me is that there appear to be no complaints in the Kickstarter comments. (The website hasn't been updated since the Kickstarter and the kickstarter hasn't been updated since the end of the campaign. So glad I gave it a miss.)

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Lemony posted:

I just want to give props to the guy running the Lagoon kickstarter. A few comments in here convinced me to back it and I received a personalized message thanking me for backing the project. I know it's just a form letter that has my name stuck into it, but it demonstrates a certain level of quality and style that I don't think I've actually seen from any other projects I've supported. I mean, he had to send those messages to some 3400 people, that takes effort and makes me feel more secure in having given money to him. Regardless of if he is actually going to follow through is irrelevant (He looks reliable to me though) it's the fact the the project feels solid that's important in getting people to support you.

The funding page is actually kind of :f5: for me in the home stretch. An hour and a half left and it's less than $5,000 away from its last stretch goal, which isn't unfathomable considering I watched it grow from about $20,000 less this morning.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

medchem posted:

I thought about it, but then I saw the gameplay video and said no. In the video, every turn is basically one player moving one character, attacking something, rolling attack dice followed by defense and possible retaliation rolls. During this time, the rest of the players just sat there except for the one player who got to roll for the monster. This literally went on for the entire hour of the video, and they never even finished the adventure. There were no interesting tactical decisions and many abilities seemed rather vanilla (+X attack die, +Y defense die, etc.) with mostly uncomplicated turns.

The game looks rather shallow and the price is way more than I would pay for such a game. I honestly can't see me wanting to play this many times in a row let alone more than once or twice. The minis and all the cute colorful cards are just fluff imo.

Note I've never played SDE or games like this, so if that's what those games are like as well, then I'd say the same about them.

A CMON product with lackluster rules, trading on its minis instead? Unheard of.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Zombicide is good, Wrath of Kings is by some of the same people who do Dark Age, and SDE is my favorite boardgame. I still have to play Rivet Wars.
Other than bad things about Sedition Wars, I haven't heard too many complaints about the other games.

medchem posted:

The minis aren't bad, but that gameplay video wasn't that great. The board layout was a bit too symmetrical, with player starting right on top of each other. Seems like it could be a slippery slope game... make a couple of crappy rolls early in the game and it's over for you. If that is the typical game it doesn't do it for me.

SDE is totally different: one person plays the bad guys and each player plays a hero. I just got done running demos for the con in our local college, and even when it isn't your turn there is a lot of discussion about what to do/team decisions to be made.
It looks like they are getting rid of the trackers (loot and enemy) in the game in the new starter set. Essentially the trackers ARE the game... it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Since they were showing models for Forgotten Kings for a while, not to mention a date of Q1 this year to put out the expansion, the upcoming kickstarter reeks of trying to steal AQs potential thunder.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 3, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Super Dungeon Explore almost drove me to alcoholism, that game is pretty bad :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Crackbone posted:

I don't know if it's the minis or the paintjob, but all of their eyebrows creep me out. SDE has a certain charm, but this is just unsettling:

A steampunk Romulan mad bomber? What, why?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sedition Wars is... ok, but I really wish I didn't pay what I did for it.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Lagoon ended up at $147,762 from a $20,000 goal. In just the last 24 hours they got more than double their initial funding goal. 13 stretch goals and just short of a 14th with 3,503 backers.

I think David Chott needs to be tested for Kickstarter-enhancing drugs.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 3, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

That's a shocker. :rolleyes:

Hey Mark, how about you follow through on one Kickstarter first before starting two more?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Crackbone posted:

Rivet Wars is a lot of fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rivet Wars is a lot of fun.

But does it have good rules?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

VoodooXT posted:

Whoa, what happened there? You make it sound like an acrimonious split.

Wasn't it? I didn't back it, but as far as I was aware Relic Knights is miles overdue and the blame game between the two has featured.

LordAba posted:

it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Since they were showing models for Forgotten Kings for a while, not to mention a date of Q1 this year to put out the expansion, the upcoming kickstarter reeks of trying to steal AQs potential thunder.

I think it's more likely they were surprised, and were faced with the prospect of having a lot of potential backers put their limited funds at a CMON project - which always overfund, generating stretches and encouraging more people to put a little bit more money down each time - instead of towards their game. It was either speed up the process and hope it doesn't look too rushed and short of content on project launch, or surrender a lot of that money forever.

In any event, I'm not really planning to back either game.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Wasn't it? I didn't back it, but as far as I was aware Relic Knights is miles overdue and the blame game between the two has featured.

I didn't back it either and I haven't been following with anything CMON or Soda Pop related.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Rulebook Heavily posted:

This is amazing and actually raises some questions for me on how Kickstarter works. If someone kickstarts a game, but then just makes a completely different game and ships that to people, are they failing to deliver? This example seems like it's purely because the creator's an awful mess, but it's not exactly uncommon for the final version of a game to be massively different from the idea that started it (wasn't Half-Life originally just meant to be a Quake reskin?).

It seems like somehow Mark Rein should be accountable to deliver on what he said he'd do in the first place, but I can't draw a firm line between what he did and what just naturally happens at small studios all the time and say that what's on one side of the line is okay and what's on the other isn't.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

VoodooXT posted:

I didn't back it either and I haven't been following with anything CMON or Soda Pop related.

I'm only vaguely aware of it as it relates to Soda Pop/Ninja Division and their work on the also well overdue Robotech minis game.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OtspIII posted:

This is amazing and actually raises some questions for me on how Kickstarter works. If someone kickstarts a game, but then just makes a completely different game and ships that to people, are they failing to deliver? This example seems like it's purely because the creator's an awful mess, but it's not exactly uncommon for the final version of a game to be massively different from the idea that started it (wasn't Half-Life originally just meant to be a Quake reskin?).

It seems like somehow Mark Rein should be accountable to deliver on what he said he'd do in the first place, but I can't draw a firm line between what he did and what just naturally happens at small studios all the time and say that what's on one side of the line is okay and what's on the other isn't.

And this is why you try to develop your game to near completion before asking kickstarter for money.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And this is why you try to develop your game to near completion before asking kickstarter for money.

It's especially crazy to me because according to him the main problem was that people didn't like the cards without the art. Surely he should have been commissioning art already as part of the kickstarter, and it's worrying that he didn't have any to show when even the cards on the ks page had art on :psyduck:

Then again this kickstarter is going pretty much how I guessed it would when it was posted, so no surprises here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

OtspIII posted:

You say all this like Kickstarter ever holds people accountable for failing to deliver in the first place. Like, I get what you're saying and all and in my opinion if I backed a project for one game and got given another instead I'd be unhappy about it, but let's be honest here, Rein*Hagen could gently caress off with all the money never to be seen again and nothing would come of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

Guilds of Cadwallon is a very nice little game which uses neat minis. Also when someone spilled a drink on my copy and irreparably damaged one of the cards, when he asked how much a replacement would cost they just told him to send a photo of the damaged card and they'd replace it free.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Robotech minis game.

Am I the only one who doesn't even want the goddamn game, just the giant pile of otherwise difficult to get Battletech minis? Seriously, give me my loving Phoenix Hawks already!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

Super Dungeon Explore almost drove me to alcoholism, that game is pretty bad :(

Yeah, to be fair the original rules were a hot mess. They respond well to FAQs and the newer versions are much more friendly.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

I saw your KS message earlier about the shipping costs and such, and I appreciate your coming here to let us know what's up, but I'd be sending out more KS messages to keep backers updated.
It doesn't always come to mind that I should send out more ks updates, but I do make sure to reply to comments and notes I get on kickstarter about it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just got an e-mail asking me to fill out my shipping address details for 404: Law Not Found.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bonk posted:

Lagoon ended up at $147,762 from a $20,000 goal. In just the last 24 hours they got more than double their initial funding goal. 13 stretch goals and just short of a 14th with 3,503 backers.

I think David Chott needs to be tested for Kickstarter-enhancing drugs.

That drug you are looking for is called intelligence and foresight. He guarantees Euro backers won't get screwed over by customs, he makes KS exclusive stuff that is nice and won't be in the retail box, but won't effect game play at all, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Mage 20th Anniversary Edition KS will launch at noon EST tomorrow.

I'm going to blow so much money on this. :smithicide:

• Locked thread