Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Node posted:

Held in a garage.

:suicide:

Man, the EQ2 lore dev (Vhalen) looks way less pasty than I imagined him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Node posted:

I probably would I suppose.

It's just staggering to see those pictures, when their initial stretch goals went up to something like $8,000,000. I still hope I can play Pantheon, but my optimism has gone down by quite a bit.

Better donate now to make your dream come true!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Better donate now to make your dream come true!

Well now that there are unlimited Ascendant Pledges, I may do just that! Sorry mom, hope you enjoy living on the streets instead of the home!

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
The garage is where all self-respecting nerds with a family live.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Mom what the hell get out, we are trying to develop an MMO in here! And for the last time where is my chocolate milk?!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Hi posted:

Mom what the hell get out, we are trying to develop an MMO in here! And for the last time where is my chocolate milk?!

"And no mom these guys are my friends.They won't steal anything..... A few of them are recovering Meth addicts, but i don't have a problem with that and NEITHER SHOULD YOU. "

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 2, 2014

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Would love to pull up a bar stool or folding chair to soak up the loving vibe of Brad's opium den

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

Would love to pull up a bar stool or folding chair to soak up the loving vibe of Brad's opium den

It's less a vibe and more of a reek

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Zvim posted:

In the garage, Brad feels safe. No one laughs about his ways.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Zvim posted:

He prefers to call it lower guk.

E: Holy poo poo :words:
https://www.pantheonrotf.com/blogs/151/43/why-charge-for-forum-access

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 2, 2014

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Also, me and my crew need drug money.. and bail money when we get busted for buying drugs from a undercover policeman dressed like a orc..

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2014

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

1. Create a system that requires people to pay monthly to participate. Why? Sure, to make some cash on the side, but that's not the biggie: the biggie is to weed out those who aren't really serious about having that dialog with us.
[...]
Also, when you have to pay for something, anonymity generally goes out the window. The game developers will know who you are, have your contact info, etc. And while some people will do horrible things in a mob, most will not do horrible things as an individual whose name and info is known by those they would have normally wanted to attack.
[...]
2. It's also hard to really have effective communication if there are just too many people to communicate with.

I love this thread.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Why is half of that dedicated to supporting "fan sites"? What fan sites? The game isn't even out yet how could there be fan sites? Star Citizen doesn't even have fan sites just an outside wiki. Does Brad not realize there are no such things as fan sites anymore. It's not 1999 anymore.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

randombattle posted:

Why is half of that dedicated to supporting "fan sites"? What fan sites? The game isn't even out yet how could there be fan sites? Star Citizen doesn't even have fan sites just an outside wiki. Does Brad not realize there are no such things as fan sites anymore. It's not 1999 anymore.

http://pjpantheon.com/ is probably what he was referring to. It's where all of the true faithful had gathered before the pay-to-post forums went up.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Node posted:

jabro posted:

You'd be amazed at the companies that were started in a garage.

I probably would I suppose.

Hewlett Packard's garage is a historical landmark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Garage

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder what would happen if all the sub members wanted to ditch the sub. Would Brad listen to the demand of his fans?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder what would happen if all the sub members wanted to ditch the sub. Would Brad listen to the demand of his fans?

In the future three VISION™ supercomputers will find concurrence in the best course of action for pantheon. Their decision making algorithms will be programmed based on the zeitgeist of 1999, and eventually neither dev nor consumer will be able to override them. Brad's in his garage, all's right with the world.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

randombattle posted:

Why is half of that dedicated to supporting "fan sites"? What fan sites? The game isn't even out yet how could there be fan sites?

I think someone vetoed the original phrasing, "astroturf".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

That was me. I wrote all that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

That was me. I wrote all that.

:ughh:

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 3, 2014

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
You can tell this game is going to be good, because all of the team's focus is on the gameplay, not on how many goofy ways you can extort 5 dollars a month out of people that are too stupid to realize they're being bilked

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Cool Buff Man posted:

You can tell this game is going to be good, because all of the team's focus is on the gameplay, not on how many goofy ways you can extort 5 dollars a month out of people that are too stupid to realize they're being bilked

"And in this group we have people who are stupid enough to pay a monthly forums fee. Next week well introduce a $25.99 smilies package."
"Great job Tom! Meeting over!! Anyone up for some meth?"

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 3, 2014

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Can someone give me a summary?

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
As much as some of you are having fun verbally curb-stomping McQuaid's balls repeatedly, what's in that blog post does make sense if you're genuinely trying to engage the community for effective, targeted feedback and ideas. The pay wall actually worked really well for the EQN Landmark forums, for instance - the discussion in the alpha forums has been of a substantially higher quality than you normally find in MMO forums. It'll weed out some legitimately useful feedback, and it's not a strategy that would work if you're creating a run of the mill product, but if you're actively creating something new/unique/niche and you don't really have much competition for your fanbase, enough will be willing to pay for access that it will work.

Likewise with the fan site thing - while he rambled on about it far longer than needed, the idea is basically that the official forum has a different focus than the forums typically available for MMOs, whether fan or official.

Really the only place I disagree with the idea is that it's a subscription, not a one time fee.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You assume they are actually making a product.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flarestar posted:

As much as some of you are having fun verbally curb-stomping McQuaid's balls repeatedly, what's in that blog post does make sense if you're genuinely trying to engage the community for effective, targeted feedback and ideas. The pay wall actually worked really well for the EQN Landmark forums, for instance - the discussion in the alpha forums has been of a substantially higher quality than you normally find in MMO forums.

EQNL works well because there are things for players to give feedback on, not just theorycrafting. People can do things in the game, which centers the conversation around the game, and not just people's high-fantasy Minecraft dreaming. The Pantheon cart is ahead of the horse's distant evolutionary predecessors, and not enough exists to keep the fans (or, I suspect, the idea team) doing anything more productive than game-mechanic fan fic.

If Pantheon were a fifth as far along as EQNL was at alpha launch, we'd be having a very different conversation.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Zvim posted:

I've yet to meet anyone who was able to get more than a paragraph in.

Flarestar posted:

The pay wall actually worked really well for the EQN Landmark forums, for instance - the discussion in the alpha forums has been of a substantially higher quality than you normally find in MMO forums.

We're going to have to disagree there. That forum had the worst case of the dumb I've ever seen short of someplace like gamefaqs. It was like a gentrified circlejerk cesspit where you couldn't go more than three posts without someone talking about their grandchildren. I was thinking that maybe it would be better after those idiots stopped making 500+ posts every time a dev sneezed and the game released, but then I made precisely one topic after the game launched, and the first response I got was so absolutely pants-on-head full retarded that I haven't returned since.

It's still full of complete idiots, just a richer class of idiots. More the senile, "Obama's a communist from Kenya and I don't trust these newfangled smartphones" crowd rather than the 13 year old f2p crew.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 3, 2014

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I've yet to meet anyone who was able to get more than a paragraph in.

I stared at it blankly for a few moments before scrolling down to the bottom to read the delusional comments from the people that actually payed to post them. They are the best part of that article.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

I wonder how much Brad is actually paying this "MMO Design Team."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zvim posted:

I read about 3 paragraphs, it's basically to make money and only have a community of sycophants who won't troll their forums that they don't have the time or money to moderate.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

If you can get folks to pay for the forum, why actually make a game? The forum becomes the product.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Huttan posted:

If you can get folks to pay for the forum, why actually make a game? The forum becomes the product.

This is basically the Star Citizen approach, just replace forum with hanger and model ships.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Except star citizen is also making a game and has flyable ships and drivable giant robots.

Pantheon has some concept art they want you to pay a monthly fee to comment on. Not even crimson haze wanted people to pay for their input.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zvim posted:

Why communities and fan-sites are important to games. Lots of marketing spin on that point. They want to listen to fans, your input is important to them, ideas they would never dream of come from magical communities, yada yada.

We have two reasons to charge people for monthly forum access:
1. No trolls. Trolls don't pay money to troll.
2. To reduce the white-noise from Idea Guys. Only the most serious fan will want to pay for this amazing opportunity. Also we have polls so we can ignore your spergy input anyways.

No really, we love your ideas. Ideas, communities, ideas, goals, fan-sites, ideas.

Goals.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

1. No trolls. Trolls don't pay money to troll.

Oh boy are they in for a surprise. Haven't some posters here been banned like 70+ times and just come right back because it's like a hobby to them?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

randombattle posted:

Except star citizen is also making a game and has flyable ships and drivable giant robots.

Pantheon has some concept art they want you to pay a monthly fee to comment on. Not even crimson haze wanted people to pay for their input.

Oh, they finally released something that lets you fly your ships in space?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Stealth Like posted:

Oh, they finally released something that lets you fly your ships in space?

Dogfight module is this month or april.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

univbee posted:

Oh boy are they in for a surprise. Haven't some posters here been banned like 70+ times and just come right back because it's like a hobby to them?

Brad might not remember, but I heard that OG EQ had some people who paid every month to grief other players! Fansy for president.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Brad might not remember, but I heard that OG EQ had some people who paid every month to grief other players! Fansy for president.

Fansy? A griefer? Now I'm just picturing the Sheriff of Nottingham getting progressively angrier each time Robin Hood and his Merry Men rob one of his convoys.

"loving griefers," he mutters under his breath in Old English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh and there was this:

quote:

Also, when you have to pay for something, anonymity generally goes out the window. The game developers will know who you are, have your contact info, etc. And while some people will do horrible things in a mob, most will not do horrible things as an individual whose name and info is known by those they would have normally wanted to attack.

Guys, does that mean Lowtax knows our names? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread