Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny this is what you should say about target if someone asks you about it:

"I loved working there, everything about it was a great experience. I learned how to properly explain the Target Credit Card to customers and became proficient in collecting carts. Unfortunately I had to quit in order to take care of my mother who became ill. She has since recovered, and I am now ready to work full time as a cashier."

You can lie in the easiest way. The best lie is one that is specifically focused on yourself IE the lie has to do with your family life. No one is going to call your mom and see if she was really sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Can someone explain how the retail job interview process works? I'm still perplexed I didn't get a single interview as a HS kid with a 4.0 GPA while my other friends were swimming in minimum wage jobs.

Probably because you filled out a resume and/or put that you had a 4.0 GPA. Minimum wage jobs are looking for no one with a critical thinking process. They want to give you their clear set of instructions and have you carry them out in the exact way they requested. So generally, they're not very interested in intelligent people.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Bloody Queef posted:

Probably because you filled out a resume and/or put that you had a 4.0 GPA. Minimum wage jobs are looking for no one with a critical thinking process. They want to give you their clear set of instructions and have you carry them out in the exact way they requested. So generally, they're not very interested in intelligent people.

That's bullshit and a stupid way to look at it. They don't give a poo poo how smart you are at all. They just want people that will work hard.

Pretending that getting a 4.0 excludes you from a retail job is stupid as gently caress. A 4.0 shows you're willing to work hard which is exactly what someone in a retail environment wants from their workers.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
You need to be a special kind of dumb if you think "smart teen" makes you overqualified for any job in the history of anything.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

No Longer Flaky posted:

"I loved working there, everything about it was a great experience. I learned how to properly explain the Target Credit Card to customers and became proficient in collecting carts. Unfortunately I had to quit in order to take care of my mother who became ill. She has since recovered, and I am now ready to work full time as a cashier."

You can lie in the easiest way. The best lie is one that is specifically focused on yourself IE the lie has to do with your family life. No one is going to call your mom and see if she was really sick.

His grandfather really was ill around that time, so he could prevaricate rather than outright lie. But it's Benny, so he'll do something weird like saying his grandfather had a hangover.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

His grandfather really was ill around that time, so he could prevaricate rather than outright lie. But it's Benny, so he'll do something weird like saying his grandfather had a hangover.

That works even better since it's true and doesn't take a lot of skill in lying to lean on. Use that as an excuse Benny.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Dex posted:

You need to be a special kind of dumb if you think "smart teen" makes you overqualified for any job in the history of anything.

I don't know if you're referring to me but I certainly didn't mean to imply I was overqualified. Just perplexed that everyone in this threads treats retail jobs like its a given. I certainly expected a retail job though.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Can someone explain how the retail job interview process works? I'm still perplexed I didn't get a single interview as a HS kid with a 4.0 GPA while my other friends were swimming in minimum wage jobs.

You walk in and they ask you some cliche interview questions like "when was a situation where you used critical thinking to accomplish a goal" but because it's a retail job for 17-20 year olds they ask like 3 of these and then "what kind of hobbies do you have" or something like that. As was said upthread, they mostly want to figure out whether or not you can string words and sentences together. Because a lot of these jobs are first or second jobs for people, they're not even necessarily looking for experience, just making sure you're not a weirdo or a shithead.

No Longer Flaky posted:

If he was really clever, he could even work in that he tried to juggle both but he quit because he was losing his edge at work and realized that it was better to take a break than to perform poorly for a prolonged period. It's a solid lie that's impossible to verify and makes him look self-sacrificing and concerned with results.

Instead we get hangover call-in.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Death Bot posted:

If he was really clever, he could even work in that he tried to juggle both but he quit because he was losing his edge at work and realized that it was better to take a break than to perform poorly for a prolonged period. It's a solid lie that's impossible to verify and makes him look self-sacrificing and concerned with results.

Instead we get hangover call-in.

Wouldn't that be setting the bar kinda high for Benny? He might get the job but he's more or less guaranteed to fail expectations afterwards.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

crabrock posted:

Benny was actually dishonorably discharged from the military, is a convicted felon, and a registered sex offender. Only that trifecta could explain why he seems completely unable to get a job.

You know, at this point, I'm figuring it almost has to be RSO or something. Would explain the 25-26, living with parents, never really gotten a job or anything else situation.

April
Jul 3, 2006

ThatCguy posted:

You know, at this point, I'm figuring it almost has to be RSO or something. Would explain the 25-26, living with parents, never really gotten a job or anything else situation.

And didn't someone else say he's weirdly obsessed with sex?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

No Longer Flaky posted:

That's bullshit and a stupid way to look at it. They don't give a poo poo how smart you are at all. They just want people that will work hard.

Pretending that getting a 4.0 excludes you from a retail job is stupid as gently caress. A 4.0 shows you're willing to work hard which is exactly what someone in a retail environment wants from their workers.

It's not that a 4.0 teenager is too smart or overqualified to run a cash register. It's that 4.0 students think that everything is a scholarship application and list their 500 activites and sports on the job application. That basically lets the hiring manager know that in addition to having to adhere to child labor laws this applicant will regularly be requesting tons of days off, not just for one season but the entire year. During my glorious days as a fast food manager, I had several kids that I didn't actually fire, but eventually just told them not to bother coming in to check if they're on the schedule anymore because they literally had no room in their schedules for a job.

Retail and food service are about having the right availability and not being a weird gently caress. Hell, even if you were a little weird we'd take you on as long as you could work a lot of shifts and were reliable.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

It's not that a 4.0 teenager is too smart or overqualified to run a cash register. It's that 4.0 students think that everything is a scholarship application and list their 500 activites and sports on the job application. That basically lets the hiring manager know that in addition to having to adhere to child labor laws this applicant will regularly be requesting tons of days off, not just for one season but the entire year. During my glorious days as a fast food manager, I had several kids that I didn't actually fire, but eventually just told them not to bother coming in to check if they're on the schedule anymore because they literally had no room in their schedules for a job.

Retail and food service are about having the right availability and not being a weird gently caress. Hell, even if you were a little weird we'd take you on as long as you could work a lot of shifts and were reliable.

That's what I'm saying. As long as you can work most hours, you'll have a job.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

This would also really be the one thing that he could be holding back that *would* be in his best interests to hold back, considering this thread knows almost everything else about his personal life at this point.
Would also explain why he was so dodgy when the thread brought up his sex life.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Benny can you go near playgrounds?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

4th Asclepiadean posted:

This would also really be the one thing that he could be holding back that *would* be in his best interests to hold back, considering this thread knows almost everything else about his personal life at this point.
Would also explain why he was so dodgy when the thread brought up his sex life.

Yeah I'm inclined to believe this now too. I can see him in an interview, doing well enough, the interviewer finds him a little weird, but whatever, offers him a job. Then Benny lays it on them: "Oh by the way, I am required by law to inform you that I am a registered sex offender. I hope that won't be a problem?" Aaaaaaaaaand they're done.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This thread is insanely massive. Why?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Motherfucker posted:

Benny is a work-in-progress, err, uhh, hmm. Work-in-stasis?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jeffrey posted:

Benny is a work-in-progress, err, uhh, hmm. Work-in-stasis?

Okay.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Just a thought: Benny, I know in the past you've bemoaned the public transport system where you lived, as well as said on a few occasions that you were only willing to try to get a car (by taking a loan that, as was described, is a standing offer from your granny) once you were actually employed.

So, when you fill out a job application and they ask if you have reliable transportation, what do you write down/tell them if the answer is anything other than yes?

Because the answer should always just be yes. Even if you have no goddamed clue how you're getting there. No one is going to hire a slob that doesn't know how he'll ever get in to work.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Motherfucker posted:

Benny's pretty great.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Benny is Aatrek's rereg.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Krotera posted:

Benny's pretty great.

Women want him. Men want to be him.

He's Snake. Benny Snake. "Special" Agent at Large.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

How is your grandfather doing by the way?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

So has your brother gotten a job and moved out yet?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

Just a thought: Benny, I know in the past you've bemoaned the public transport system where you lived, as well as said on a few occasions that you were only willing to try to get a car (by taking a loan that, as was described, is a standing offer from your granny) once you were actually employed.

So, when you fill out a job application and they ask if you have reliable transportation, what do you write down/tell them if the answer is anything other than yes?

Because the answer should always just be yes. Even if you have no goddamed clue how you're getting there. No one is going to hire a slob that doesn't know how he'll ever get in to work.
I say yes depending on the route and schedule: otherwise, I say no like for jobs where I have to be at multiple places (ie: tutoring).

Ms. Happiness posted:

How is your grandfather doing by the way?
He's doing fine, actually.

EDIT: Well at least my AV doesn't link to my thread anymore

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 3, 2014

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Does your brother have a job? If so, could he help you out getting one?

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Does your brother look down at you or is he in the same pitiful boat?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Benny the Snake posted:

I say yes.

I'm sure a mod could fix this, and should fix this.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ms. Happiness posted:

Does your brother have a job? If so, could he help you out getting one?
The both of us are in the same boat, actually. What he has going for him is that he's taking classes, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
For real, Benny, I am glad to hear your grandfather is doing better.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

I say yes depending on the route and schedule: otherwise, I say no like for jobs where I have to be at multiple places (ie: tutoring).

Why would you ever put down that you don't have reliable transportation, and instead just put down the times you know you can get there for your availability? What 'reliable transportation' means, basically, is 'will you be able to have transportation every day that you are scheduled to work, consistently' - ie, every Monday when you're scheduled to be there at 10AM and you've put that as an available time, you'll be able to make it and won't be calling in saying 'oh my car broke down' or whatever. That's what 'reliable transportation' means.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Dude chill out, he's probably lying anyway.

He tells them he rides a jetpack to work.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

crabrock posted:

He tells them he rides a jetpack to work.

Benny and the Jets(pack)?

:laugh:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Benny the Snake posted:

So do you actually put more than that down or do you literally apply for a job but put "no i can't get to it" on the application because :lol: if that's the case

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Death Bot posted:

So do you actually put more than that down or do you literally apply for a job but put "no i can't get to it" on the application because :lol: if that's the case
I just say "yes" or "no" depending on the circumstances.

I just applied for the City of Chino Volunteer Corps and spoke with the volunteer coordinator. I told her about my previous volunteer experience as a fellow with the campaign, so hopefully I'll get a call back with a volunteer position. Speaking of volunteering, I'm trying to get a hold of the candidate I served under because two local representatives are stepping down here in the Inland Empire. So I'm going to call him and ask if he's going to run for either of those positions and offer to volunteer for him. In any case, once the elections are announced, I'm going to apply to volunteer to one of the campaigns. Also, my typing certification expired last month. I hoped that I could re-certify myself through the original employment agency, but I just called and they no longer offer typing certifications. I found another agency which does it for free but only once a month so I'm going to have to wait until the end of the month to get myself re-certified. I doubt that I'll get an interview for an office position between now and then, anyway. I wish I would've done it earlier.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 4, 2014

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
Out of all the things to wish you had done earlier, you pick a typing certification.
Great priorities.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Starter Wiggin posted:

Out of all the things to wish you had done earlier, you pick a typing certification.
Great priorities.

"I Wish I Would've Done It Earlier" should be the motto on his family crest, right beneath a sloth rampant pushing a shopping cart.

Advertiser
Mar 2, 2007
I'll sell you a dream....
Bitches love typing certifications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

How that typing certification helped you at all in your job search?

Honest question.

• Locked thread