Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So maybe I'm just blind, but did GW stop selling the Death Guard Havoc should pads sometime recently? I could have sworn I just saw them on their site a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Sorry to interrupt, but I had to share a couple of things from the tournament that I figured people would appreciate.

Firstly, the absolute best and most out-of-left-field army I'll see in a long time: :rock: The He-Man/She-ra Villains Dark Eldar Army :rock:

Look at that goddamn mountain of 80s colors. The guy hunted down some of the original toys and converted it all into the moutain along with tons of putty, foam, and extra bitz.

Almost all of these models are either hand-sculpted or completely converted from dozens of different bitz. Dude spent an incredible amount of effort to bring to life your fantasy of fighting Scorpia to life.

Sorry for the image-dump, but good lord.

Secondly, here's a photo of the Stealer Shock list tabling the top Taudar list at the tournament:

I must admit that even I, who LOVE Genestealers, thought that Genestealers were poo poo in 6th Ed., but this guy has made them work to a degree that people fear them. They took second overall, only after losing their last game due to bad luck.

To everyone who loves Tyranid horde and felt that 5th/6th forced you to shelve your models for more Necrons or Eldar, take a gander at one of the winningest lists:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

BaconCopter posted:

Could you, or someone else, be so kind as to give an estimate point value to a list like this? ?

It's 1850. With 2000 points I'd have all of the gargoyle squads 20 large with toxin sacs. It would be nice if you could do any combination of 3 FMCs between crones and Harpies instead of having to have 2 Harpies and 1 crone. Still, the biggest benefit is being able to have three flyrants. Sure, it's a cheesy list, but tyranids need all the cheese they can get. While other armies get orders, chapter tactics, battle focus, and good psychic powers, nids get instinctive behavior.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Pierre, you have nothing to apologize for. Those pictures rule, that He-Man army owns owns owns, and Stealershock dominating is awesome.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Codex: Crimson Slaughter? Why not Red Corsairs?

:smith:
Yeah, I don't really get GW's thinking behind the supplements. I'd think World Eaters, Death Guard, etc. would be better topics for a supplement, but if that's what we're getting, well, you don't gotta buy it at least.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
My only possible thought regarding the Crimson Slaughter Codex is that they want to follow off of the Dark Vengeance set for inexplicable reasons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

:rock: The He-Man/She-ra Villains Dark Eldar Army :rock:

This is loving great. :allears: This guy clearly put a lot of effort into it.

I'm curious what the dude with the genestealer army took in it and how he used his units. (Outflanking, etc.) I see four broodlords, but are those flying things on the left and in the center harpies or crones? Everything else is pretty straight forward.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Red Corsairs are Forge World's property and GW wont touch that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

This is loving great. :allears: This guy clearly put a lot of effort into it.

I'm curious what the dude with the genestealer army took in it and how he used his units. (Outflanking, etc.) I see four broodlords, but are those flying things on the left and in the center harpies or crones? Everything else is pretty straight forward.
That's the thing: He didn't have any Harpies or Crones. Everything he used could have been fielded in 4th Edition.

It was 2000pts:
3x Flying Hive Tyrant w/ 2x Twin-linked Devourers
2x 3x Tyranid Warriors w/ Barbed Strangler
4x 15x Genestealers w/ Broodlord
10x Gargoyles
2x 1x Biovore

He infiltrated every unit of Genestealers 18" away and tried for 2nd turn so he could assault and just soak the losses from going I1 with bodies and/or Feel No Pain if he rolled Catalyst on any of his Tyrants. He was just generally able to pin enough units using The Horror that they couldn't move away fast enough to escape the impending rush and they could no longer provide powerful shooting because they were forced to Snap Fire everything. It was especially debilitating to Tau, as they have a pretty low Ld score unless you spent the points/HQ slot for an Ethereal.

Brutal, effective, and unexpected. Tore through the current meta-lists easily.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

Red Corsairs are Forge World's property and GW wont touch that.
You're thinking Red Scorpions, I assume? Red Corsairs have a special character (Huron Blackheart) in the CSM codex. They were the main studio army shown off with the previous codex.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PierreTheMime posted:

That's the thing: He didn't have any Harpies or Crones. Everything he used could have been fielded in 4th Edition.

It was 2000pts:
10x Gargoyles
2x 1x Biovore

He infiltrated every unit of Genestealers 18" away and tried for 2nd turn so he could assault and just soak the losses from going I1 with bodies and/or Feel No Pain if he rolled Catalyst on any of his Tyrants. He was just generally able to pin enough units using The Horror that they couldn't move away fast enough to escape the impending rush and they could no longer provide powerful shooting because they were forced to Snap Fire everything. It was especially debilitating to Tau, as they have a pretty low Ld score unless you spent the points/HQ slot for an Ethereal.

And thats why anyone rolling up with the latest net list went home crying.

SRM posted:

You're thinking Red Scorpions, I assume? Red Corsairs have a special character (Huron Blackheart) in the CSM codex. They were the main studio army shown off with the previous codex.

They feature heavily in 2 imperial armour books. I presume thats why GW are leaving it for them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, they have their place in the Badab War stuff, but GW obviously has had their fun with them too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

There were--no joke--at least ten out of fifty Tau lists with Skyshield Landing Pad lists, peppering in some Eldar occasionally for minimum Troops and the Divination bonus. People were getting sick of just playing Taudar as the tourny went on. Most of them performed a lot worse than they expected, which made me happy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

They feature heavily in 2 imperial armour books. I presume thats why GW are leaving it for them.

FW does not produce a single Red Corsair specific item. They have plenty of Astral Claws poo poo, but for gameplay purposes they're pretty different.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

Yeah, they have their place in the Badab War stuff, but GW obviously has had their fun with them too.

GW/FW crossovers:

Dark Angels are in IA:5
Grey Knights are in IA:7
Raven Guard are in IA:8
Salamanders are in IA:10
Grey Wolfs are in IA:11

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

It was 2000pts:
10x Gargoyles
2x 1x Biovore

Ah, I had assumed it was an 1850 list. My mistake. Cutting it down to that level would lose a tyrant, but you'd have a fair amount of leftover points for more bodies or zoanthropes or something. It is cool to see someone make a genestealer list work though. I mean, who doesn't love those things?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hollismason posted:

Any recommendations on the best store to play at in Chicago area or the best gaming group?

Pay for the Private Message upgrade, Goon!

There's a group that plays Wednesday nights at Games Plus in Mount Prospect. That's my store of choice for all gaming in the Chicagoland area, though it helps that I live near there. In the city proper, one of my friends has had good experiences at The Dice Dojo on Broadway, though I've never been there myself.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

There were--no joke--at least ten out of fifty Tau lists with Skyshield Landing Pad lists, peppering in some Eldar occasionally for minimum Troops and the Divination bonus. People were getting sick of just playing Taudar as the tourny went on. Most of them performed a lot worse than they expected, which made me happy.

That's kind of sad. It almost makes me pine for the days of yore when every tournament was nothing but a couple of flavors of space marine and a dark eldar player who won first place. Out of curiosity, what list wound up winning the tournament?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Badgersmasher posted:

That's kind of sad. It almost makes me pine for the days of yore when every tournament was nothing but a couple of flavors of space marine and a dark eldar player who won first place. Out of curiosity, what list wound up winning the tournament?

Necrons. The most goddamn random Necron list you'll ever see.

I didn't get all the details exactly, but I got told the run-down and it looks like something someone would pick who was just starting out.

Imotehk
Destroyer Lord
2x Immortals
2x Warriors
2x Night Scythes
2x Annihlation Barges
9x Scarab Swarms
3x Tomb Spyders
6x Canoptek Wraiths
4x Crypteks (one from each school except for Transmogrification)

Someone after getting tabled by it said it was the first time they felt like their army was being dissected instead of just fought. Apparently he's a really, really tactical player and he used his army like a swiss army knife to address just about anything someone brought his way.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
People looking for games, don't forget this exists.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438&add=1

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

serious gaylord posted:

As others have said, you are thinking of their former lives as the Astral Claws. The Red Corsairs have been GW's "flagship" renegade chapter for a very long time, but clearly they want to make more of the Crimson Slaughter instead of just using it as a throwaway name for the bad guys in the starter set.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So, thanks for the help for choosing between IG or Inquisition books.

This is what my 1k list looks like right now.

code:
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor (Psyker, Force Sword, 3x Servo Skulls)

Henchment Warband
10 Acolytes w/ Carapace Armour
7 Hotshot Lasguns
3 Plasma guns
Chimera w/ 2x Heavy Bolters, Psybolt Ammo

Henchment Warband
10 Acolytes w/ Carapace Armour
7 Hotshot Lasguns
3 Plasma guns
Chimera w/ 2x Heavy Bolters, Psybolt Ammo

Grey Knight Grand Master (Psycannon, Rad & Psychotroke Grenades, Halberd, 3x Servo Skulls)

Grey Knight Terminator Squad
4x Halberd
Daemonhammer
Psycannon
It might lack...LOTS of long-range shooting, but I'll rock poo poo at med-range shooting and dammit it'll look cool.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

It was 2000pts:
10x Gargoyles
2x 1x Biovore

The surprising part here is that he's not using the Genestealer dataslate for any shenanigans. When I saw the pic I expected MSU spam and winning through target saturation. Instead he just straight up took a vanilla codex unit and did well with it.

I can't help but think that it did so well because of the strong Taudar turnout and all the Pinning in that list. Did he fight many non-Tau players?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

xtothez posted:

I can't help but think that it did so well because of the strong Taudar turnout and all the Pinning in that list. Did he fight many non-Tau players?

Yeah, he kind of ran the gamut. I think overall he fought Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Taudar, and Necrons. Aside from the Dark Eldar it was a pretty good spread of the "top tier" armies. The matchup system pitted the closest players in points as each round went on, so he was consistently vying for 1st until the last game.

Also, the rules for the tournament disallowed Formations (but allowed Forge World and Dataslate characters). We also had to "lock" our lists in mid-February so he couldn't have played that even if Formations were in.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

I didn't get all the details exactly, but I got told the run-down and it looks like something someone would pick who was just starting out.

Imotehk
Destroyer Lord
2x Immortals
2x Warriors
2x Night Scythes
2x Annihlation Barges
9x Scarab Swarms
3x Tomb Spyders
6x Canoptek Wraiths

Someone after getting tabled by it said it was the first time they felt like their army was being dissected instead of just fought. Apparently he's a really, really tactical player and he used his army like a swiss army knife to address just about anything someone brought his way.

Bwahahaha! This is glorious.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Imotehk
Destroyer Lord
2x Immortals
2x Warriors
2x Night Scythes
2x Annihlation Barges
9x Scarab Swarms
3x Tomb Spyders
6x Canoptek Wraiths

Dunno, this seems like a list from someone who knows what they are doing. It's not optimal, but:

D-Lord goes with the Wraiths; good units.
Scarabs are properly supported by Spyders; good units.
Annihilation Barges rock no matter what; good units.
Night Scythes with (I assume) Warriors in them; good units.
Foot Immortals, sure.

The only questionable choices are Imotehk and the random Crypteks. No Monolith, Tomb Blades, Zahndrekh/Obyron, whatever the alternative Ghost Ark is called, Lychguard, Triarchs, Stalkers, C'tan, Flayed Ones. Dude just picked the best stuff in the codex except for one mostly.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 3, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PantsOptional posted:

My only possible thought regarding the Crimson Slaughter Codex is that they want to follow off of the Dark Vengeance set for inexplicable reasons.

Going off this: as a newcomer, if I grab Dark Vengeance, there's really nothing to stop me from ignoring Crimson Slaughter stuff and making my Chaos dudes Emperor's Children or Thousand Sons, right? Aside from the fact that, while they look Chaos-y, they'd be missing some of the aesthetic trappings of EC/TS stuff?

The Crimson Slaughter fluff seems... okay? But I really wanna do EC or TS. And wasn't Crimson Slaughter made up just for DV?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Drone posted:

Going off this: as a newcomer, if I grab Dark Vengeance, there's really nothing to stop me from ignoring Crimson Slaughter stuff and making my Chaos dudes Emperor's Children or Thousand Sons, right? Aside from the fact that, while they look Chaos-y, they'd be missing some of the aesthetic trappings of EC/TS stuff?

Absolutely no problem with that. I did up all of the models out of that set as Word Bearers and EC Noise Marines.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PierreTheMime posted:

Absolutely no problem with that. I did up all of the models out of that set as Word Bearers and EC Noise Marines.

So just grab the CSM codex and I'd be good to go? I assume the rules that come with DV aren't really going to mention Noise Marines at all.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mango Polo posted:

Dunno, this seems like a list from someone who knows what they are doing. It's not optimal, but:

D-Lord goes with the Wraiths; good units.
Scarabs are properly supported by Spyders; good units.
Annihilation Barges rock no matter what; good units.
Night Scythes with (I assume) Warriors in them; good units.
Foot Immortals, sure.

The only questionable choices are Imotehk and the random Crypteks. No Monolith, Tomb Blades, Zahndrekh/Obyron, whatever the alternative Ghost Ark is called, Lychguard, Triarchs, Stalkers, C'tan, Flayed Ones. Dude just picked the best stuff in the codex except for one mostly.

I'm guessing Imotehk is for giving them night fighting until his units were in optimal range. It's a nice versatile list that can fight and take ground whereas I'm guessing most of the Taudar lists were arranged around gunline shooting.

With the Necron list, everything there will double up on anti-infantry/anti-tank without being locked into a role.

Not sure what the crypteks do, but they can definitely be game changers if used correctly.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Drone posted:

So just grab the CSM codex and I'd be good to go? I assume the rules that come with DV aren't really going to mention Noise Marines at all.

Correct. The rulebook included is the Big Rulebook (BRB) and you'll need the codex for whatever army you'd like to make out of the models.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Drone posted:

Yeah, that's about it. Unlike the Dark Angels in the box (ebay those off if you don't need them, or persuade somebody to split the pot with you - hell, my old gamestore had this deal where they'd crack open two boxes, cut the sprues so the armies were separate, and sell off one box with double Chaos and one with double DA) the DV chaos marines are pretty army-neutral - there's no visible heraldry of any sort. You can paint them as pretty much anything you could want. Hell, if you really wanted to you could probably cut out most of the imperial eagles and DA symbols on the dark angels and play them as recently captured equipment - most Chaos warbands aren't exactly shy about looting gear from their Imperial enemies, especially when it comes to things like newer mark powered armor or Terminator suits.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I'm guessing Imotehk is for giving them night fighting until his units were in optimal range. It's a nice versatile list that can fight and take ground whereas I'm guessing most of the Taudar lists were arranged around gunline shooting.

With the Necron list, everything there will double up on anti-infantry/anti-tank without being locked into a role.

Not sure what the crypteks do, but they can definitely be game changers if used correctly.

Ah true, Imotekh would work on gunline armies. Though Tau have Blacksun Filters (Night Vision) on their heavy firepower units, don't they?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Mango Polo posted:

Ah true, Imotekh would work on gunline armies. Though Tau have Blacksun Filters (Night Vision) on their heavy firepower units, don't they?

On all the suits (so yeah, like everything). Also Waveserpents don't care because the shield ignores cover.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, that's about it. Unlike the Dark Angels in the box (ebay those off if you don't need them, or persuade somebody to split the pot with you - hell, my old gamestore had this deal where they'd crack open two boxes, cut the sprues so the armies were separate, and sell off one box with double Chaos and one with double DA) the DV chaos marines are pretty army-neutral - there's no visible heraldry of any sort. You can paint them as pretty much anything you could want. Hell, if you really wanted to you could probably cut out most of the imperial eagles and DA symbols on the dark angels and play them as recently captured equipment - most Chaos warbands aren't exactly shy about looting gear from their Imperial enemies, especially when it comes to things like newer mark powered armor or Terminator suits.

Nah, I've been keen on Dark Angels for quite awhile so I'm definitely keeping those. I thought about trading away the Chaos dudes as well, but decided that I'd rather have two "starter" armies in case a friend wants to play with me or something.

Though if any local stores near me did the splitting thing, I'd definitely have to consider it. Absolutely sure the local GW stores won't do it though.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Naramyth posted:

On all the suits (so yeah, like everything). Also Waveserpents don't care because the shield ignores cover.

They still can't fire at things over 36" away. That's very, very important if he's trying to skirt outside of weapon ranges.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Never apologies for the best Dark Eldar army in the history of the game. Warhammer 40,000 is now a solved game.

Indolent Bastard posted:

People looking for games, don't forget this exists.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438&add=1

Added a pin near where I live.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Drake_263 posted:

hell, my old gamestore had this deal where they'd crack open two boxes, cut the sprues so the armies were separate, and sell off one box with double Chaos and one with double DA)

Oh man, I'd go for something like that *so hard*.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
What do you all think of this list?

Also, what is the point cost for a Bastion and a I. Lascannon?

code:
Spire– 1850

HQ:					460
Hive Tyrant – 165		230
	Wings – 35
	2x TL-Dev - 30

Hive Tyrant – 165		230
	Wings – 35
	2x TL-Dev - 30

Troop:					80
Termagants – 40		40

Termagants – 40		40

Elite:					95
Venomthrope Brood – 45	45		

Zoanthrope Brood – 50		50

HS:					80
Biovore Brood – 40		80
	+1 – 40

Fortification:				75?
Bastion – 75?

Formation: Sky Blight Swarm		1025	
Hive Tyrant – 165		230
	Wings – 35
	2x TL-Dev - 30

Hive Crone – 155		155

Harpy – 135 			140
	TL-VC – 5

Harpy – 135 			140
	TL-VC – 5

Gargoyles – 60			120
	+10 – 60

Gargoyles – 60			120
	+10 – 60

Gargoyles – 60			120
	+10 – 60

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

raverrn posted:

They still can't fire at things over 36" away. That's very, very important if he's trying to skirt outside of weapon ranges.

Per the night fighting rules? I don't think that's true. I think Night Vision flatout ignores Night Fighting, not just shroud/stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I get a warm feeling when the current meta gets destroyed by something like that Necron list. I guess at heart I'm just a guy who prefers narrative-based fluff heavy games.

• Locked thread