Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I just discovered the glory of http://shitsenders.com/

Anyone want to take up a collection to land a gallon of gorilla poo poo on blacksword's boss's desk?

I'd happily contribute, but they don't do international. :smith:

I did save the URL for later... "research", however. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When you say "discovered the glory"...?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I just discovered the glory of http://shitsenders.com/

Anyone want to take up a collection to land a gallon of gorilla poo poo on blacksword's boss's desk?

A pile of poo poo came in...it's blackswordca's fault.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Caged posted:

When you say "discovered the glory"...?

as a potential sender, not by receipt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ursine Asylum posted:

Please do the needful.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Volmarias posted:

Please do the needful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfmYCM4CS8o&t=105s

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Caged posted:

I love users who loudly complain to nobody in particular that their PC isn't working if a member of the IT team happens to be within earshot. Not going to pay any attention to it, put a ticket in. You aren't special.

This, had to change some settings on PCs, room next door had people talk about software (that we dont service) not working. After we did our stuff on that PC, one of the nurses went like "errr mah gerd you broke it look its not working." When I retorted with "I just heard your doc talk about this problem before I even touched it..." There was a minute of shameful silence between the two nurses and doctor in the room. Still fixed it for them, because Im nice like that.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Mustache Ride posted:

He probably forgot the '.' Which is why when you even think about attempting to rm -fr something you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the full goddamn path.

The full path will start with /
So at some point this line will be on your terminal: rm -rf /
That's probably a bad thing

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!
A meeting came in on Friday...

I've been doing phone support for almost 6 years now. Most of that as level one front line support, almost a year as tier 2. I suddenly got a request to interview for a QA position (at the same company).

I love my job, but not having to talk to customers, a pay bump, and a new experience are all great reasons to jump (if they offer it to me) but I've never done QA before.

Should I :yotj: if they offer it? My current managers say there'd be no bad blood if I stay at my current job. Thoughts?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should take it just to bring 6 years in the same position to an end.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Theresa Frontpage posted:

I make a habit of typing out potentially destructive commands in a text editor, then copy/pasting them into my terminal once they are complete and I have double checked them for any kind of error that might break things.

Didn't stop me from wiping the wrong half of a mirror once while replacing a drive, but its kept me from doing things like accidentally hitting enter at the wrong time.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Theresa Frontpage posted:

Unless you're using an awful version of rm you can and should put -rf at the end.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ursine Asylum posted:

His luck, the manager would use it in their garden and he'd get promoted or something

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ozz81 posted:

His luck, the manager would use it in their garden and he'd get promoted or something

Are you proposing he should pull a Costanza and do everything the opposite of what he would normally do?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

rob_squared posted:

A meeting came in on Friday...

I've been doing phone support for almost 6 years now. Most of that as level one front line support, almost a year as tier 2. I suddenly got a request to interview for a QA position (at the same company).

I love my job, but not having to talk to customers, a pay bump, and a new experience are all great reasons to jump (if they offer it to me) but I've never done QA before.

Should I :yotj: if they offer it? My current managers say there'd be no bad blood if I stay at my current job. Thoughts?

If you want a shitton more money, take it to get the experience then yotj to another company for a good 100% pay raise after a year. Seriously, check out QA vs helpdesk salaries on salary.com or glassdoor.com

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

What the gently caress is... Oh yeah cloud2butt

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What the gently caress is... Oh yeah cloud2butt

Well it does sort of look like someone laying down in a supine position with their cloud in your face

rob_squared
Nov 5, 2009

News, everyone!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If you want a shitton more money, take it to get the experience then yotj to another company for a good 100% pay raise after a year. Seriously, check out QA vs helpdesk salaries on salary.com or glassdoor.com

Welp, that's exciting. And I may not even need to skip out because this job would be in the median of the ranges I've seen and there are promotion paths within that team. Thanks.

caged posted:

You should take it just to bring 6 years in the same position to an end

I never really thought of it this way since I had 2 internal promotions to get to tier 2. But you're right, in the end phone support is phone support.

I worked at my last (non-tech) job for 9 years so I kind of get in ruts and don't realize it (I'm 30). There are perils of getting stuck on phones when you've literally been working on phones for half your life. Thanks as well.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

piratepilates posted:

Are you proposing he should pull a Costanza and do everything the opposite of what he would normally do?

it certainly couldn't hurt his job prospects at this point, so yes, I think he should.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

rob_squared posted:

Welp, that's exciting. And I may not even need to skip out because this job would be in the median of the ranges I've seen and there are promotion paths within that team. Thanks.

I never really thought of it this way since I had 2 internal promotions to get to tier 2. But you're right, in the end phone support is phone support.

I worked at my last (non-tech) job for 9 years so I kind of get in ruts and don't realize it (I'm 30). There are perils of getting stuck on phones when you've literally been working on phones for half your life. Thanks as well.

Dear god don't languish anywhere that long. I'm coming up on 30, I've only been doing enterprise IT for coming up on 4 years. In that time I skipped help desk, managed to jump a couple levels across 2 companies and have settled in to Datacenter / Virtualization / Exchange work and even with that diverse load I move every few years. Maybe the rules are different for IT outside consulting but every time I promote / move I pick up another 40k a year which I sure as hell wouldn't be seeing if I just hung around all day poking at the same workload. Employers love diversity in experience, 6 years in one position makes you a master of.. like a really narrow specific task set. Take the promotion, get like a year in that position and then shop your Resume.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Galler posted:

If I saw a small room with 'quiet room' on a sign next to it I would probably assume it's for muslim (or any other faith that has to pray a bunch) employees to pray in. Which would be a good idea because there were a bunch of times where I walked into conference room C and flipped on the lights only to find Wasik (sorry buddy) in there praying. Or possibly a place for private conversations for people that don't have offices. It being for nursing women would probably be about the last thing I would think it was for.

Regardless I wouldn't go in there and take a loving nap.

From a couple of pages back but where I work there's lactation rooms, rest/quiet rooms AND (non denominational) prayer rooms.

Granted it's a building where 5000 people work so there's a spare room here and there.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I'm wondering what kind of job would be the next logical step up for me. It's kind of tech support, but not quite as technical as that.

I work at a bank. We have an internet banking webhost (third party) that we send tickets to if the website goes down. People call my department when they can't log in to the internet banking website for whatever reason. We help people register for their internet banking access, we do password resets, we walk dumb customers through getting to our website and typing their login ID & password, we deactivate dormant accounts, we help people download their paperless statement PDFs. We also enroll businesses in internet banking, sign them up for requested ACH services and daily cashflow limits, and process end-of-day transactions that come through the website. We will walk any end-user through anything, providing they have a functioning computer already and can get to our website.

Would this just be called "website support"? What kind of jobs does this sort of position prepare me for? I don't know whether I can properly call myself "tech support" since we don't troubleshoot computer issues as a rule. We refer customers to contact their own tech support if they have a virus or can't connect to any websites at all.

If this would be better to post somewhere in BFC, I'd appreciate a link in that direction.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Jesus. Helldesk.

I just walked a person through sending an e-mail to more than 1 person. She could not understand the concept of how to add more than 1 name. :cry: I'm done. Helldesk has finally broken me.

I swear if I actually drank alcohol, tonight would be the night for it.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

martyrdumb posted:

I'm wondering what kind of job would be the next logical step up for me. It's kind of tech support, but not quite as technical as that.

What's your actual title? Whatever it is, that's what you should use on your resume, since companies will check and it will seem suspicious and dishonest if you list your previous title as "Technical Support" when it was actually "Customer Service Representative" or something.

From what you've described, your current job would probably fall under the "customer service" label. You could probably move into a first-tier technical support or junior help desk role easily enough, especially if you have some sort of IT background outside your current job (hobbies, education, certs, etc.). If your long-term goal is to move into higher-level IT stuff, you'll want to look for a company that offers their first-tier support folks decent experience and mobility; there are a lot of places where you'd just be stuck at tier 1 forever, reading bullshit from a script and escalating everything instead of learning to troubleshoot and fix issues on your own.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Had some real fun earlier. No connectivity for anything but the server. Uhm, Wha? Server is up, Modem is up, DNS and DHCP all up. Some knuckle head with keys to the loving electrical room but not the server room, cut the power to it before I could walk over there.

Turns out it was a bug fixed in a SP several years ago. DHCPlog hard codes to 1024 Kb. No way to change. DHCP (on this server) was designed to open that log and write the error condition to it and exit. It can't write to a full log and instead just opened the log, tried to write, panicked and closed only to loop endlessly in that fashion. >_<

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dennyk posted:

What's your actual title? Whatever it is, that's what you should use on your resume, since companies will check and it will seem suspicious and dishonest if you list your previous title as "Technical Support" when it was actually "Customer Service Representative" or something.

Counterpoint: since official job titles tend to range from "vaguely accurate" to "complete bullshit," you can put on your resume a commonly-accepted job title that reflects what you're actually doing. Like if I were writing code for a living but my official job title was something unusual like "Senior Bit Puppeteer" that would make resume parsers throw a fit and reject me out of hand, I'd just put down Software Engineer.

The rest of the post I agree with; you're basically describing a Customer Service Representative, and you could probably move into 1st line tech support. You might want to try for smallish to medium-sized companies that have their own internal IT departments, as opposed to call centers, if you want to advance. Those people tend to have to actually think and diagnose problems, rather than just reading from a script.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Che Delilas posted:

Counterpoint: since official job titles tend to range from "vaguely accurate" to "complete bullshit," you can put on your resume a commonly-accepted job title that reflects what you're actually doing. Like if I were writing code for a living but my official job title was something unusual like "Senior Bit Puppeteer" that would make resume parsers throw a fit and reject me out of hand, I'd just put down Software Engineer.

Yeah, you can definitely simplify or fudge your title a bit, especially if your company makes up unhelpfully vague or ridiculously specific titles. You just don't want to go so far as to claim (or make up) a title that's completely different than what you actually had or that doesn't reflect your actual experience. If a potential employer calls your previous company and asks for your title and it's something completely different than what's on your resume, that's going to raise a red flag, but if they say "Senior Code Wrangler" or some other BS that translates into "he wrote programs" and you put "Software Engineer" or something, no one will think anything of it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever sick of getting tickets that have "This has been a problem for X weeks." in them.

At least you didn't get a list of issues dumped on you during a meeting with your CEO, which he received from the board chairman. They all came from a division head who had his people with IT issues compile them in a list for him, and then he wrote to the board about these issues. All to use as leverage in his power struggle with the CEO. The real kicker was I spoke to the workers in his division most days and always asked how the systems were going for them etc.
Couldn't get out of there fast enough after that happened.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A laptop harddrive fails while I'm away on vacation. Now, if I were at work, I would replace the failed mechanical drive with one of the gazillion SSDs we have lying around, reinstall whatever and move on with my life.

What does it take to replace a harddrive when I'm on a weeks vacation?

Five people
Four phonecalls
Three emails
Two replacement harddrives (It's a Dell Precision)
One Dell tech
And an hour of instructions and discussion in my face when I get back from vacation.

Even though it's well-meant by all parties involved and they are just trying to help the user, I share an office with three helpdesk techs, and a floor with 12 people in the IT department. Apparently none of these people have ever encountered a faulty harddrive ever before in their career.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"Logged out without notification [from SAP account info page] after hitting save. Did not attempt to go into [SAP account search page] since SAP server is down but I still experienced issues."

No poo poo you had issues, the server was down for maintenance. You even acknowledge this. :psyduck:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of phone calls came in,

Over the weekend, the account lead, the tech who is my offshift and several other techs from my company upgraded the subnetting in the main office for the client I am onsite for. It looks like they never bother to test the remote sites as all of them have lost internet access. :cripes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You really need to stop loving up :colbert:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

blackswordca posted:

Over the weekend, the account lead, the tech who is my offshift and several other techs from my company upgraded the subnetting in the main office for the client I am onsite for. It looks like they never bother to test the remote sites as all of them have lost internet access. :cripes:

Wow that is loving terrible

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Added comedy. The intranet provider didn't setup routes with two of the sites so these sites are completely offline until this gets fixed. It took them almost a month to generate the routes in the first place, so this may get ugly.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

blackswordca posted:

I don't know how you still manage to show up there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least show up drunk to make it bearable

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Man, I used to like Lenovo's stuff...until I was helping a co-worker with a crashed hard drive that's been encrypted with BitLocker.

The encryption wasn't the issue, apparently Lenovo has decided on their slim ultrabook style laptops to go with some proprietary, super-slim hybrid hard drive. It's about 2 or 3 millimeters thinner than a standard laptop drive, so a regular hard drive won't fit into the slim chassis. :cripes: Most places nearby that sell hard drives don't sell the super slim ones like this ultrabook has, so we ended up setting up 2 external USB docks, putting the bad drive and a spare drive in each, and doing a decryption so that the data would be recovered and sent from the old drive to the new one. Ended up taking almost 4 hours to complete, thankfully the ultrabook is under warranty but the earliest we can get a drive is this coming Wednesday or Thursday.

And all because a bonehead user couldn't watch what he was doing and knocked it off his desk when he tripped over the power cord.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ozz81 posted:

Man, I used to like Lenovo's stuff...until I was helping a co-worker with a crashed hard drive that's been encrypted with BitLocker.

The encryption wasn't the issue, apparently Lenovo has decided on their slim ultrabook style laptops to go with some proprietary, super-slim hybrid hard drive. It's about 2 or 3 millimeters thinner than a standard laptop drive, so a regular hard drive won't fit into the slim chassis. :cripes: Most places nearby that sell hard drives don't sell the super slim ones like this ultrabook has, so we ended up setting up 2 external USB docks, putting the bad drive and a spare drive in each, and doing a decryption so that the data would be recovered and sent from the old drive to the new one. Ended up taking almost 4 hours to complete, thankfully the ultrabook is under warranty but the earliest we can get a drive is this coming Wednesday or Thursday.

And all because a bonehead user couldn't watch what he was doing and knocked it off his desk when he tripped over the power cord.

As much as I bitch about Apple in my circles, MagSafe is pure loving brilliance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It really is the only thing worth a poo poo on an Apple laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Lightning is really good.

• Locked thread