Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

Fog lights tend to light up the area right in front of you, at the expense of your long range night vision. In a city setting where there are streetlights everywhere it's probably not a big deal, but having light reflecting off the ground right in front of you will hurt your night vision.

FWIW in the US nearly every car that isn't a Euro/world market near-direct import that has "fog lights" actually just has auxiliary driving lights, and having them on or off doesn't really contribute to or detract from your ability to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dissss posted:

I bet they're still consistently too high.
Hmm...or maybe you have elevated sensitivity to light? Speaking of consistently too high...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Unless they are more advanced than I thought, auto-levellers don't have any way to monitor the actual beam height, they just move based on programmed values to compensate for suspension compression/pitch. If the base adjustment of the headlights is wrong, they will be just as bad as any other maladjusted setup - perhaps even more so, as you generally can't override them manually from the dash.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I assumed they had something like (but probably not literally) a mercury switch or something to tell when they're level. It would be somewhat pointless to do their startup up-down sweep otherwise.

E: Guess I was wrong, woops

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 3, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The ones I've seen used sensors on the front and rear suspension to determine ride height either end and so calculate pitch.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Snowdens Secret posted:

I assumed they had something like (but probably not literally) a mercury switch or something to tell when they're level. It would be somewhat pointless to do their startup up-down sweep otherwise.

I think that just calibrates the position sensor for max and min values; a mercury switch wouldn't be sensitive enough for that application. Plus that would only let the headlights be level to gravity, rather than the chassis (if, say, it was parked on a hill).

I'm pretty sure it's just a variable-resistor sensor of some kind, like you'd see in a throttle body.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Today I was behind a tank commander who apparently rethought things partway through his commute, because he was leaning out his open door so he could reach around and scrape his windshield while rolling down the road at ~35 mph.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geoj posted:

FWIW in the US nearly every car that isn't a Euro/world market near-direct import that has "fog lights" actually just has auxiliary driving lights, and having them on or off doesn't really contribute to or detract from your ability to see.

Exactly. A proper fog light throws a wide pattern with a low cutoff. Most factory fog lights on most cars are just low-wattage flood lights that happen to be mounted low.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Today I was behind a tank commander who apparently rethought things partway through his commute, because he was leaning out his open door so he could reach around and scrape his windshield while rolling down the road at ~35 mph.

A couple years ago I was behind a Lexus RX (a vehicle equipped with a heated windshield, I assume) where the lady driving it rolled down her drivers' door, leaned out and was thrashing the drivers' side windshield wiper at highway speeds to dislodge the ice crust.

I stayed behind it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A couple years ago I was behind a Lexus RX (a vehicle equipped with a heated windshield, I assume) where the lady driving it rolled down her drivers' door, leaned out and was thrashing the drivers' side windshield wiper at highway speeds to dislodge the ice crust.

I stayed behind it.

Been there done that, if it's snowing when you use the washer fluid you can ice up the wiper blades pretty good. So I'd roll down the window, time the swing of the wiper blades so I could pick it up and let it slap back against the windshield to clean them off. Worked great!

Never done it the highway though. I have the sense to wait for a stop light.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Everyone in Canada has done it at a stop light. Nobody I know has done it at 100kph.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I stayed behind it.

I bet she sits there for awhile when it rains and wonders why her wipers don't work very well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This also happens if your heater isn't able to keep the cabin and windshield warm enough, something Dad and I found out in a blizzard in South Dakota a few years ago. Driving down the interstate being the only car on the road going about 30mph, every 10 minutes or so whoever wasn't driving would half way climb out to break the ice off the wipers. That was a long cold drive before we finally stopped for the night.

Later we found out the storm was also traveling at 30mph right along with us. We also discovered the heater couldn't keep up because the PO had removed the A/C equipment which left large holes in the firewall.

So yes we were the idiots you share the road with.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Had a similar problem while driving down to Stillwater on Saturday, my buddy's civic apparently has a rather anemic defroster because it would only melt the ice around half way up the windshield when we were driving at turnpike speeds. When we stopped for the toll booths everything would melt off

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rscott posted:

Had a similar problem while driving down to Stillwater on Saturday, my buddy's civic apparently has a rather anemic defroster because it would only melt the ice around half way up the windshield when we were driving at turnpike speeds. When we stopped for the toll booths everything would melt off

Assuming it's just fog and not full on ice, a chamois sponge deals with this pretty well. Every single ACVW owner in history had some kind of towel or sponge in the car to deal with fogged up windows. You never, ever let anyone touch the glass with their hand because the oils would make it harder to clean off moisture.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Freezing rain was falling and it was ice building up on the outside of the windshield.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

Assuming it's just fog and not full on ice, a chamois sponge deals with this pretty well. Every single ACVW owner in history had some kind of towel or sponge in the car to deal with fogged up windows. You never, ever let anyone touch the glass with their hand because the oils would make it harder to clean off moisture.

try this, but as a passenger in a Volvo 960 with a non-repaired leaky heater core that covered the windshield in a thin film of glycol, and with newspapers instead of chamois

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

try this, but as a passenger in a Volvo 960 with a non-repaired leaky heater core that covered the windshield in a thin film of glycol, and with newspapers instead of chamois

So how long did it take them to find you in the ditch?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a legitimate squeegee from the dollar store that I use to deal with internal fogging. Works a treat.

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
These are the people you would have shared the road with a 100 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q5Nur642BU

Today, though I saw something funny. There is a street near here that is notorious for ice. In the span of three minutes I counted at least 7 or 8 cars, sliding out because they were in a hurry. You are supposed to take the turn at 35, but they were going easily 45~55. It was weird because they kept stacking up next to each other. Do people suddenly forget how to drive when it snows/rains/sunny out? The correct answer is yes.

They had to post a cop there awhile until the road was finally de-iced, it gets so cold here road salt doesn't work anymore.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Everyone in Canada has done it at a stop light. Nobody I know has done it at 100kph.

My dad used to do it all the time in the minivan, but the seating position was such that all you'd have to do was reach out and grab it, no need to hang out the window. I did it in that vehicle too, more than once on the highway. I could do it without taking my eyes off the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I do it at 100kph in the mack, but i'm tall enough and the wiper comes close enough that it's not really an issue.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

I do it at 100kph in the mack, but i'm tall enough and the wiper comes close enough that it's not really an issue.

Yeah being 6'5" and having arms to match is great sometimes. I just casually reach out the window and wait for the wiper to come up... barely have to lean forward. So yeah, I've done that at highway speed, rather do that than stop and have some idiot straddling the right two lanes plow into me at full speed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, is the fog light thing you're talking about the reason the US fog light assembly for my 97 Subaru is like $19 for the set and the JDM foglight sets I see are $50-100? I see the lens assembly is different in each.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I was driving home from work this morning and some guy nearly rear ended me at a stop sign sliding on the lovely ice on the road.
He managed to slide into the ditch by the side of the road at the last minute.
Should I feel bad about leaving him there?
He almost creamed me so I'm inclined to say gently caress him.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

I was driving home from work this morning and some guy nearly rear ended me at a stop sign sliding on the lovely ice on the road.

You've never almost hit someone on accident?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

He almost rear ended you but he chose to sacrifice his own car to the ditch in order to save your car, I mean that's a hell of a lot nicer than just rear ending you. That said, was he acting like a dick before this incident? Was it obvious there was ice on the road? Could you have done anything to help get his car out?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The road was solid white I was completely stopped waiting for high way traffic to pass before I went. He was probably going 30+ on a 25 mph road.
I was wearing kitchen clogs so I wouldn't have been much help anyways. It wasn't a big ditch.
I was tired and cranky from working all night and having to spend the previous day sleeping at work because I couldn't get home in the snow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

I was wearing kitchen clogs

You are the person I share the road with :stonk:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Saw this idiot in a highlander driving on i95 this morning with their rear bumper cover flapping in the breeze, barely held on, and almost getting eaten by the driver side tire every time it flapped.

Just rip the god drat thing off, jesus, it's hosed anyways. They had attempted to tie it back on with twine. I don't know why.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Reminds me of the guy in a Corolla I saw the other day who had smashed his front bumper into a snowbank but had crudely lashed it back on with duct tape that wasn't holding at 100kph. Just take it off, it's not like you have all the pieces and it's not like the bodyshop is gonna bother meticulously putting it back together again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think I know how that dent wound up in their bumper..

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Every goddamned day

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Best part is she didn't even look before pulling out (from the middle lane), nor did she flinch or look away from straight ahead when I laid on the horn.

Irony: I had just dropped off an order at one of the assisted living facilities we deliver to (that step between living at home and a full on nursing home) - she looked like she could have been the mother of several of the people in that place. I'm not saying she's old, but if you fart in her general direction, she may turn into dust.

I had a decent clip of a guy making besties friends forever with a curb yesterday morning (with a little help from our friend, ice), but even with the 32GB card, everything prior to 7pm yesterday has been overwritten. :saddowns: I spent over 8 hours in the car yesterday, and about 4 hours in the car today... :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 5, 2014

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

I think I would develop a habit of chain smoking every time I drove if I did what you do. I feel for you brother.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It looks to me like there are two right turn lanes there, or was she turning right from a straight ahead lane?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Until the trial, my city is still sharing the road with a 21 year old with a long criminal record who left not a single bit of rubber on the road and only tried to swerve, as he ran down a 19 year old mormon from Utah using the pedestrian crossing just outside my apartment building. After he stopped and stepped out he was more worried about his interrupted adrenaline drive, and his ruined summer-tire E320 carrying a disturbing silhouette of dents of human in hood and windscreen than the soon-corpse that he didn't do anything with.

Looking both ways isn't enough these days. Goddamnit Sweden, you were supposed to be safe.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks to me like there are two right turn lanes there, or was she turning right from a straight ahead lane?

Yes there are two right turn lanes but they merge into the two left turn lanes that STR is on, we have a bunch of frontage roads for the highway that runs through the center of town that are set up the same way and people do the same loving poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rscott posted:

Yes there are two right turn lanes but they merge into the two left turn lanes that STR is on, we have a bunch of frontage roads for the highway that runs through the center of town that are set up the same way and people do the same loving poo poo.

I watched it in 1080p, and I'm 99% sure STR had a protected left turn arrow. So yeah, total dickbag move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nope! There's only one right turn lane; that street narrows from 5 to 4 lanes, with 2 of them turning left under the bridge (narrowing it further to 2 lanes).

She turned from a straight lane, across 2 "lanes" (one is striped to keep people from driving in it).

edit: here's a satellite view of the intersection - you see the red car on the right? That's the lane she turned from. Also, the way this intersection is set up, you can't legally use the left turn lanes (it's illegal to change lanes in an intersection in Texas, but the road goes from 2 to 4 lanes immediately before the light, with one being a right turn lane.. then 3 to 5 lanes in the middle of the intersection, with 2 turning left).

here's google maps of the intersection, for the morbidly curious. You can even get an idea of how far back they place the stop lines/crosswalks.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I think I would develop a habit of chain smoking every time I drove if I did what you do. I feel for you brother.

I quit 9 years ago. :unsmith: Instead I get yelled at regularly by my doctor about my blood pressure. :haw:

But the drivers in the city I work in are their own breed of special entitled assholes. So is everyone working for whatever department designs intersections; stop bars are placed so far back that you can't see to pull out (on drat near every intersection in the city), and when two lanes do turn together, the stripes for those two lanes extend so far out into the intersection that people actively ignore them.

This video shows the same intersection from the other side, and how often people ignore the stripes for turning. (and, well, lanes in general) The truck gets a pass on that, the guy in the brown Camry is clearly going for "suicide by big truck" though. I'm amazed there's not a wreck at this intersection every time the light turns green.

KozmoNaut posted:

I watched it in 1080p, and I'm 99% sure STR had a protected left turn arrow. So yeah, total dickbag move.

You'd be correct. That intersection always gives a protected left when travelling that direction - the protected arrow doesn't expire until the first light has been red for about 10 seconds. If you actually have to wait to turn left (i.e. no arrow), you've either run the light, or elected not to use the u-turn lane on the southbound side.

e: I rarely see u-turn lanes under bridges in other states, I guess maybe it's a Texas thing? :clint:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 5, 2014