Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That make a bit more sense if his harem didn't look like a bunch of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

That make a bit more sense if his harem didn't look like a bunch of children.

Or if one wasn't literally a child. I mean come on I really do not want to see a middle schooler's crush on someone in his twenties treated seriously.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

gently caress, being Akatsuki is suffering. Being mistaken for a child. Being one-upped by a child in romance of all things. That being said middle-schooler crushing on Shiroe is incredibly creepy. Someone wondered what Akatsuki was in grad school for. Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. I feel that the character has shown incredibly little maturity considering she's supposed to be of-age apart from her handling combat without turning into a complete wreck in the beginning of the series. As it is, the character is one-sided: She has her roleplaying and getting embarrassed/exasperated over Shiroe. Show me anything that implies she's not a complete child and a moron. (Her being completely out of her depth in any social interactions at the POTL castle was a part of this). Because poo poo is getting old.

I want to like the character, and to a degree I do but she needs some depth, Christ.

As it was her competitor was more mature than she was.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ethiser posted:

Or if one wasn't literally a child. I mean come on I really do not want to see a middle schooler's crush on someone in his twenties treated seriously.

I would be okay with this only if it was treated in a realistic and mature manner. I mean, hell, it's not an unbelievable thing -- tons of people, myself included, have had crushes on teachers while in middle school. Puberty is a confusing thing. There's lots of novels in the teen section that deal with middle-school crushes. But Shiroe should handle it in the way a realistic, mature adult person would. He should set a boundary and be firm with her: "I'm flattered, but you're only thirteen, this is a confusing time for you when you're discovering all sorts of new emotions, and you have a lot of growing-up to do."

So basically, in a way that would probably never come up in any anime, disappointingly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

I would be okay with this only if it was treated in a realistic and mature manner. I mean, hell, it's not an unbelievable thing -- tons of people, myself included, have had crushes on teachers while in middle school. Puberty is a confusing thing. There's lots of novels in the teen section that deal with middle-school crushes. But Shiroe should handle it in the way a realistic, mature adult person would. He should set a boundary and be firm with her: "I'm flattered, but you're only thirteen, this is a confusing time for you when you're discovering all sorts of new emotions, and you have a lot of growing-up to do."

So basically, in a way that would probably never come up in any anime, disappointingly.

I, too, wanted to see a 30-minute episode where Shiroe called a guild meeting to discuss acceptable fraternization. Preferably with slides.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vengarr posted:

I, too, wanted to see a 30-minute episode where Shiroe called a guild meeting to discuss acceptable fraternization. Preferably with slides.

I never said anything like that! You're being unfair. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrSunshine posted:

Eh, for all of Shiroe's grand strategizing he is still a socially awkward college student. Remember that actual teachers go through a ton of education and training on how to handle kids. His hands-off approach seems to be in character for him both because of his social awkwardness and because he is the sort of person who likes to have a firm grasp of the situation before acting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shiroe liked being a mentor in-game, but that is rather different from mentoring someone you actually know and have assumed responsibility for. He sees Minori as a nice kid who is eager to learn, which isn't really wrong. As for Akatsuki, Shiroe definitely trusts her judgement and abilities as a peer and equal. I don't think he has thought too deeply about the motivations behind her ninja roleplaying, though.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one.

Also, Tohya is such a bro. "Man, it's not your fault you have a weird crush. These things happen, and it hurts.". Hoping this doesn't turn out to be one-tenth as creepy as Sword Art Online. I don't feel it will be, but still.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Eh, for all of Shiroe's grand strategizing he is still a socially awkward college student. Remember that actual teachers go through a ton of education and training on how to handle kids. His hands-off approach seems to be in character for him both because of his social awkwardness and because he is the sort of person who likes to have a firm grasp of the situation before acting.

As far as I can tell his approach to the situation is to smile and act like nothing is different, hoping it'd sort itself out eventually. And a lot of what we're seeing is from Akatsuki's perspective, amplifying the 'threat' Minori poses. Her roleplaying is mainly to cover up her insecurities with her appearance, as in the game, nobody cares what you look like, Level 90 Assassin speaks for itself.

veekie fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 2, 2014

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

occipitallobe posted:

Also, Tohya is such a bro. "Man, it's not your fault you have a weird crush. These things happen, and it hurts.". Hoping this doesn't turn out to be one-tenth as creepy as Sword Art Online. I don't feel it will be, but still.

Yeah I don't think the show could suddenly be even one tenth as creepy as SAO, that had an entire multiple episode build up to reach the peak of Creep Mountain, you can't even see the foothills from where this show is right now.

That said Minori's reaction was hilarious.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person

Vengarr posted:

Now that the team is all assembled, can I post the Log Horizon Log House?

Because it is awesome:

"Rudy's room, otherwise known as RundelHouse, or the dog house. Named by Isuzu."

Akatsuki's room is so big, what the heck

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Monsieur Mango posted:

Akatsuki's room is so big, what the heck

Shiroe's is actually the biggest for obvious reasons and presumably he designed part of it so Akatsuki's being second biggest might be an underlying hint. (Or maybe no one else cares that much about the size of their rooms since Nyanta's actually looks to be the third biggest)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

veekie posted:

As far as I can tell his approach to the situation is to smile and act like nothing is different, hoping it'd sort itself out eventually. And a lot of what we're seeing is from Akatsuki's perspective, amplifying the 'threat' Minori poses. Her roleplaying is mainly to cover up her insecurities with her appearance, as in the game, nobody cares what you look like, Level 90 Assassin speaks for itself.

Akatsuki is so incredibly socially awkward that the rest of the guild (except for Tohya and Isuzu) looks completely normal by comparison.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xelkelvos posted:

Shiroe's is actually the biggest for obvious reasons and presumably he designed part of it so Akatsuki's being second biggest might be an underlying hint. (Or maybe no one else cares that much about the size of their rooms since Nyanta's actually looks to be the third biggest)

I think other than Shiroe's room(which is also his office and thus needs to be large), most of the guild just picked whatever room they liked. They have a pretty large building that they're only using three floors of. Plenty for everyone.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

occipitallobe posted:

Honestly it really doesn't get all that creepy unless the anime is gonna amp up the creepy for some reason.
Really light ln spoiler specific to this To me it seems like Minori shifts perspective pretty quick into admiring him in a "i want to be like him" kind of way

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

exmorte posted:

Honestly it really doesn't get all that creepy unless the anime is gonna amp up the creepy for some reason.
Really light ln spoiler specific to this To me it seems like Minori shifts perspective pretty quick into admiring him in a "i want to be like him" kind of way

She always was kind of like that ever since Shiroe rescued them.

So, the guild so far, where social interactions are concerned:
Nyanta - Cat roleplayer. Source of sage advice
Naotsugu - Panties!
Akatsuki - Ninja roleplayer. Lifesize plush toy for Crescent Moon Alliance. Most awkward.
Minori - Shiroe fan.
Isuzu - Proud dog owner
Rundelhaus - Golden retriever.
Shiroe - Clueless
Tohya - Probably the most 'normal' guy in the whole guild.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

veekie posted:

She always was kind of like that ever since Shiroe rescued them.

Nyanta - Cat roleplayer. Source of sage advice
Naotsugu - Panties!
Akatsuki - Ninja roleplayer. Lifesize plush toy for Crescent Moon Alliance. Most awkward.
Minori - Shiroe fan.
Isuzu - Proud dog owner
Rundelhaus - Golden retriever.
Shiroe - Clueless
Tohya - Probably the most 'normal' guy in the whole guild.

I believe Naotsugu played some big-bro/mentor role for Tohya.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tohya really is the most normal of the lot. He was stuck in a wheelchair (I think he was hospitalized, too?), and now he has super powers and a great big world to explore. He even gets to stay with his twin sister with whom he is very close, but she no longer has to take care of him and can also spread her wings. Why wouldn't he be ecstatic? Now that Hamelin is gone, this is like the best thing that has ever happened to him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Tohya really is the most normal of the lot. He was stuck in a wheelchair (I think he was hospitalized, too?), and now he has super powers and a great big world to explore. He even gets to stay with his twin sister with whom he is very close, but she no longer has to take care of him and can also spread her wings. Why wouldn't he be ecstatic? Now that Hamelin is gone, this is like the best thing that has ever happened to him.

And then his older brother turns up and decides that everyone needs to get the gently caress out of video game fantasy world, thus tearing apart the fabric of the world and dooming all the PoTL without giving a single gently caress.

No...no wait. That's Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Hey, dude needs his basking space.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Slime posted:

And then his older brother turns up and decides that everyone needs to get the gently caress out of video game fantasy world, thus tearing apart the fabric of the world and dooming all the PoTL without giving a single gently caress.

No...no wait. That's Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

As unlikely as it is, I am kinda hoping that Log Horizon will explore that particular moral quandary, although in general the people who are in Log Horizon don't seem too concerned with returning to the real world, hell, we haven't even met anyone who misses their family from the real world, except for maybe Krusty with his little sister, although I get a feeling that that's a old wound rather then something imposed on him by the Apocalypse.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Conot posted:

As unlikely as it is, I am kinda hoping that Log Horizon will explore that particular moral quandary, although in general the people who are in Log Horizon don't seem too concerned with returning to the real world, hell, we haven't even met anyone who misses their family from the real world, except for maybe Krusty with his little sister, although I get a feeling that that's a old wound rather then something imposed on him by the Apocalypse.

I suspect that the majority of the players think of the Apocalypse as a kind of upgrade from their life in the real world. Surely a large portion of them would fit the MMO poopsocker stereotype.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kazakirinyancat posted:

I suspect that the majority of the players think of the Apocalypse as a kind of upgrade from their life in the real world. Surely a large portion of them would fit the MMO poopsocker stereotype.

They haven't really gone into what utterly wretched people the most hardcore MMO players usually are. I don't think that even matters, really. There are a ton of high level people, and intelligence and social skills are way more important in this setting than poopsocking. In real MMO's shitlords can get away with that sort of nonsense for a variety of reasons that don't really apply any more. If there is already a large number of mature adult players who can get poo poo done and work well with others, why would anyone deliberately cater to the scummy minority?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I for one am shocked that there's not more people running around with ridiculous names. So far the silliest has been Krusty. Where's all the guys xXxSephiroth420xXx? Do japanese MMO players just not do that?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The vast majority of players don't do that because they don't want to be stuck with a dumb name for years. In WoW most characters just have random fantasy names, with some puns mixed in.

Also like most MMOs they probably don't allow numbers and symbols.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 3, 2014

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Slime posted:

I for one am shocked that there's not more people running around with ridiculous names. So far the silliest has been Krusty. Where's all the guys xXxSephiroth420xXx? Do japanese MMO players just not do that?

Author said he handwaved that because that's a pain to write.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Somewhere out there is a monk who wears only briefs with a big star and runs around piledriving monsters and doing spinning lariats. All monsters fear Red cyclone

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

exmorte posted:

Somewhere out there is a monk who wears only briefs with a big star and runs around piledriving monsters and doing spinning lariats. All monsters fear Red cyclone

Somewhere out there is a guild that only wears panties. God knows what they're doing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

exmorte posted:

Google "Los Tiburon".

KoB
May 1, 2009

They haven't really gone into what utterly wretched people the most hardcore MMO players usually are.

Elder Tale is a 10 year old game. So the majority of the high level players would have started the game as kids and grown up, went to collage, gotten jobs, etc. At the beginning they said that the people only really came back because of the new expansion they wanted to check out.

Having to deal with real world poo poo can mellow people out. This doesnt account for everyone though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KoB posted:

Elder Tale is a 10 year old game. So the majority of the high level players would have started the game as kids and grown up, went to collage, gotten jobs, etc. At the beginning they said that the people only really came back because of the new expansion they wanted to check out.

Having to deal with real world poo poo can mellow people out. This doesnt account for everyone though.

Old MMO's don't have a better ratio of tolerable human beings to fuckwads, they just have fewer new players. Elder Tale seems to have avoided obsolescence like real MMO's, though. Also, you are saying that people necessarily have to grow up as they get older.
On the internet.
On the somethingawful forums.
Concerning MMO players.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Old MMO's don't have a better ratio of tolerable human beings to fuckwads, they just have fewer new players. Elder Tale seems to have avoided obsolescence like real MMO's, though. Also, you are saying that people necessarily have to grow up as they get older.
On the internet.
On the somethingawful forums.
Concerning MMO players.

Taking away Internet Anonymity is a big thing regarding civil behavior, though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Taking away Internet Anonymity is a big thing regarding civil behavior, though.

Yeah, but if you're a dick to someone in the middle of a town they in real life they can punch you in the face. In Log Horizon they can't.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

veekie posted:

Nyanta - Cat roleplayer. Source of sage, parsley, and thyme.

Fixed that for you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Slime posted:

Yeah, but if you're a dick to someone in the middle of a town they in real life they can punch you in the face. In Log Horizon they can't.
In real life that would get the cops called on the puncher. In post-apocalyptic Log Horizon the puncher could instead get a posse together and kill the dick every time he tried to leave the city or use the guildhall services (if the Round Table agrees to make them valid targets).

We have seen a bit of sorting out of playstyles in Log Horizon, though, with the shitlords having their city in the north and the Akiba players driving out Hamelin. When it was just a game it was probably a lot easier to just ignore griefers and psychos, but now there's much more incentive to actively punish that sort of behavior and the ability to punish it more seriously.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Also, you are saying that people necessarily have to grow up as they get older.

How do you get "this necessarily applies to everyone" from "this can happen, though that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone"?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

You say this, but I recall a thread on these very forums, by someone who was teaching in Japan going through a similar situation, where his students were giving him love-letters and apparently his co-workers were not only jealous, but probably would have followed up on it.

Now, I wish I had kept that as a bookmark somewhere, but it seems to me the whole crushing on mentor thing isn't uncommon, apparently. At least Shiroe isn't being represented as a creep for it, is all I can say.

Tohya pretty much saved it from getting too weird, I think.

Slime posted:

Just imagine that you have "シロエ" and "アカツキ" going around and then suddenly "Krusty_the_clown" joined your party.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Just imagine that you have "シロエ" and "アカツキ" going around and then suddenly "Krusty_the_clown" joined your party.

As long as he only uses audio clips of Krusty when communicating through voice chat and opens with "Hey Hey!" when joining the party, I don't see what the problem is. :colbert:

Immersion can suck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Edward IV posted:

As long as he only uses audio clips of Krusty when communicating through voice chat and opens with "Hey Hey!" when joining the party, I don't see what the problem is. :colbert:

Immersion can suck it.
Imagine if macros survived the apocalypse.

• Locked thread