Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I did the mongols conquering Europe chiev recently and I can't remember having trouble even when I accidentally left Ultimogen on. The worst poo poo was independence revolts, which I just let go and sent half my stack around to vacuum up the ones that wouldn't rejoin me.

As for non-dejure territories, they will follow your crown laws so long as there isn't a non-dejure kingdom title above them.

Know what's fun? Conquering all of Europe in no time with the awesome invasion CB, then having to spend the next century slowly waiting while you fabricate claims on the baronies owned by those rear end in a top hat holy orders that you need to own as well before the achievement will trigger. As if it wasn't enough of a dick move to require ironman for them.

And it's annoying as hell to have to deal with independence revolts every other year. If there was a way to end them quickly I wouldn't mind too much, but having to spend ages sieging up territories and chasing down armies before they'll give in is so very tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Does giving land to holy orders make them any stronger? As in would hiring them give me more men than it would if they were landless?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zoinker posted:

Does giving land to holy orders make them any stronger? As in would hiring them give me more men than it would if they were landless?

No. I lost a rebellion and had my crown authority go to high, and the jomsvikings went nuts and took like 3 duchies all across Europe. They're still my vassal and only give around 7,000 vikings when you want to hire them as a holy order.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zoinker posted:

No, but vassalizing them makes them cheaper, and you can raise their non-mecenary troops as normal for vassals. They also tend to have a lot of money, and thus pretty advanced holdings, and they can't inherit claims and are easy to gain opinions with, so they actually make pretty good multi-duchy vassals.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

No, but vassalizing them makes them cheaper, and you can raise their non-mecenary troops as normal for vassals. They also tend to have a lot of money, and thus pretty advanced holdings, and they can't inherit claims and are easy to gain opinions with, so they actually make pretty good multi-duchy vassals.

It is even better when you accidentally inherit them somehow and are thus completely free to hire. Especially since my emperor is also the Fylkir.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

fool_of_sound posted:

How do you get them to vassalize? I can never get them to accept my offers, does it only work if you're the head of the religion?

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

Jolan posted:

and chasing down armies before they'll give in is so very tiresome.

Got to love when a little 100 unit stack keeps moving away from you every time you try to go destroy it with your huge army

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrProsek posted:

How do you get them to vassalize? I can never get them to accept my offers, does it only work if you're the head of the religion?

You have to be an emperor, and you have to give them land inside your de jure empire (and make sure that their capital is inside said land). You usually also have to be the same culture as their grandmaster. You also have to be their de jure liege: you have to hold the kingdom that de jure owns whatever duchy you give them, or the duke that de jure owns whatever county you give them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Templars and Knights Hospitaler will join you via an intrigue menu decision and 500 gold if you're King of Jerusalem, but that seems to be unique to them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

fool_of_sound posted:

You have to be an emperor, and you have to give them land inside your de jure empire (and make sure that their capital is inside said land). You usually also have to be the same culture as their grandmaster. You also have to be their de jure liege: you have to hold the kingdom that de jure owns whatever duchy you give them, or the duke that de jure owns whatever county you give them.

I don't think giving away land will ever make them consider you their de jure liege, because their top level title, that of the holy order, doesn't have one.

I vassalized the Hashashin once by being: 1) an emperor (i.e. 2 ranks above the holy order), and 2) of the same culture. Getting rid of the small-difference-in-rank and wrong-culture penalties was enough to offset the not-my-de-jure-liege penalty. This was pre-SoA, though; I don't know if things have changed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Allyn posted:

I don't think giving away land will ever make them consider you their de jure liege, because their top level title, that of the holy order, doesn't have one.

I vassalized the Hashashin once by being: 1) an emperor (i.e. 2 ranks above the holy order), and 2) of the same culture. Getting rid of the small-difference-in-rank and wrong-culture penalties was enough to offset the not-my-de-jure-liege penalty. This was pre-SoA, though; I don't know if things have changed.

You might be right, but I have noticed that sometimes holy orders will consider you their de jure liege (the Immortals did when I game them Merv as the Zoroastrian Persian Emperor), and other times won't. I'm not exactly sure what causes it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Allyn posted:

That should still be correct, I did the same thing with the Jomsvikings last week. I then gave him a kingdom to make a different title his primary, and then stabbed him, inheriting both the kingdom and the Jomsvikings title.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Allyn posted:

Nope, giving them a duchy makes them de Jure your vassal, since it's the same level as their holy order title. A county isn't enough, though. Works for every religion.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

DrProsek posted:

I've found that the easiest way to vassalize holy orders is to do the standard expansion strategy of inviting a claimnant, landing him, then pressing his claim. Just give him a random barony somewhere since it's not like holy orders will ever have ~pretty borders~ when they have random castles all over Europe.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
So my ruler dies, and in a few years the now-landless son of a Petty King I dethroned shows up with a host to try and retake his family's lands. That's not the problem, I manage to barely avoid bankruptcy defeating said host and white peace out. But where does this guy go after being defeated? Back to the court of the schmuck count he was living with? No, he shows up with his family at MY court, presumably to stab my poor 12 year old king in the face. What can I do about this jerk? He's married, and if I imprison him I'll get the usual -40 opinion penalty. I'm currently broke and can't pay for assassinations, and I'm worried my kid ruler's going to get murdered before I manage to get the assassination money.

I sure wish you could just kick unwanted courtiers out. I'm not even sure why he showed up at my court, unless the game really is having him come for the sole purpose of assassination, since he has absolutely zero family ties to me and is of a different religion and culture.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 4, 2014

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Sucrose posted:

So my ruler dies, and in a few years the now-landless son of a Petty King I dethroned shows up with a host to try and retake his family's lands. That's not the problem, I manage to barely avoid bankruptcy defeating said host and white peace out. But where does this guy go after being defeated? Back to the court of the schmuck count he was living with? No, he shows up with his family at MY court, presumably to stab my poor 12 year old king in the face. What can I do about this jerk? He's married, and if I imprison him I'll get the usual -40 opinion penalty. I'm currently broke and can't pay for assassinations, and I'm worried my kid ruler's going to get murdered before I manage to get the assassination money.

I sure wish you could just kick unwanted courtiers out. I'm not even sure why he showed up at my court, unless the game really is having him come for the sole purpose of assassination, since he has absolutely zero family ties to me and is of a different religion and culture.

You can always hope with a plot-murder, or get him excommunicated so you have free imprisonment.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sucrose posted:

Are you Catholic? Order him to take the vows.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Are you Catholic? Order him to take the vows.

He's married so that won't work. He'd have to kill the wife, which defeats the purpose.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sucrose posted:

As long as he's unlanded, you should be able to banish him for no opinion penalty - and you'll get a hefty chunk of gold out of it, too, since adventurers have a fair bit of money and banishment confiscates their cash.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

As long as he's unlanded, you should be able to banish him for no opinion penalty - and you'll get a hefty chunk of gold out of it, too, since adventurers have a fair bit of money and banishment confiscates their cash.

Don't I need to imprison him first? And I'm unreformed pagan (just started a new game), so conversion's no good. I can't mess around with negative opinion penalties too much, everyone hates my kid ruler already.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 4, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It doesn't matter until you actually form Aquitaine, but if they aren;t dejure part of your empire, they will have their own laws.

So if you go into de jure kingdom map mode, and it says Being incorporated into (your empire) then they aren't de jure part of my empire and can form their own laws. Got it. Thanks.

Agnostalgia posted:

Nope, giving them a duchy makes them de Jure your vassal, since it's the same level as their holy order title. A county isn't enough, though. Works for every religion.

I owned the county of Rugen, wasn't the duke of whatever county thats part of, and was an Emperor. When the Jomsvikings came, they were more than happy to be vassalized. I'm not sure I am contradicting what you said, but that was my experience.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 4, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Don't I need to imprison him first? And I'm unreformed pagan (just started a new game), so conversion's no good. I can't mess around with negative opinion penalties too much, everyone hates my kid ruler already.

Adventurers should be automatically imprisoned when they lose their war, though if you got to 100% warscore by capturing them, then they'll be released from your prison when you enforce demands and presumably won't be immediately re-imprisoned (not sure though).

In any case, adventurers lose their claims on your titles when you beat them, so unless that guy has an opinion penalty against you for being an ex-adventurer, he shouldn't have any particular reason to cause trouble.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Or plot-stab his wife and then marry him off matrilinearly somewhere far away.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It is driving me insane that people can assassinate my kids and I can't arrest them without incurring tyranny or get a CB or do anything about it besides to try and shank them back. I was sure I'd seen a "they have acted dishonorably against you" modifier before. :psyduck:

I'm 100% certain that if the child of a feudal was assassinated and he knew who was behind it there would be war.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 4, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Adventurers should be automatically imprisoned when they lose their war, though if you got to 100% warscore by capturing them, then they'll be released from your prison when you enforce demands and presumably won't be immediately re-imprisoned (not sure though).

In any case, adventurers lose their claims on your titles when you beat them, so unless that guy has an opinion penalty against you for being an ex-adventurer, he shouldn't have any particular reason to cause trouble.

No, I ran out of money and had to white peace out. (He fails in his goal + prestige loss but keeps everything he started with)

Guess I'm going to have to get some money fast and stab him before he tries anything.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there a (non-cheating) way of moving a decent sized empire to Elective? It's relatively easy to meet most of the requirements (even having all vassals like you) except for the drat "no vassals fighting each other" even at medium Crown Authority.

Mostly because I'd like to give the genius daughter a shot since this generation doesn't have any genius males, and I'd prefer not to go stabby time on everyone else in line. Plus elective gives a sweet approval bonus since all my vassals think they have a voice, even if they end up voting for my chosen heir anyway 90% of the time.

Sucrose posted:

Guess I'm going to have to get some money fast and stab him before he tries anything.

He's in your court, right? Make him head of an army and march him off to certain death.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 4, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Is there a (non-cheating) way of moving a decent sized empire to Elective? It's relatively easy to meet most of the requirements (even having all vassals like you) except for the drat "no vassals fighting each other" even at medium Crown Authority.

Mostly because I'd like to give the genius daughter a shot since this generation doesn't have any genius males, and I'd prefer not to go stabby time on everyone else in line. Plus elective gives a sweet approval bonus since all my vassals think they have a voice, even if they end up voting for my chosen heir anyway 90% of the time.

He's in your court, right? Make him head of an army and march him off to certain death.

Isn't elective succession a fairly common faction demand, even when you're not normally able to select that law by choice? If so, i'd just let my vassals get annoyed with me, and wait for them to demand it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New RoI DD:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?759994-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-5-Free-Features-1

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Check if killing any of them ends the war. I actually also have this problem quite often, would like some tips aswell.

Ah, thanks. The relations tab and red skull option seem subtle yet very nice improvements. :)

Jack the Stripper fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 4, 2014

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

The level of betrayal I felt when I saw that Lotharingia's map color had changed tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

:v:

Great stuff! I'm really looking forward to all these QoL improvements.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Isn't elective succession a fairly common faction demand, even when you're not normally able to select that law by choice? If so, i'd just let my vassals get annoyed with me, and wait for them to demand it.

I have yet to see a faction demand elective succession in my Rome game so far - the big ones are either independence, lowering crown authority, or installing a pretender. And as far as I can tell, I can't just agree to a faction demand unless they press it.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

A female, Lollard doge who has Jesus speaking to her. I have no idea how this happened.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Spiderfist Island posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when I saw that Lotharingia's map color had changed tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

:v:

Great stuff! I'm really looking forward to all these QoL improvements.

Lol, just noticed that. Glad it no longer looks like poop.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

quote:

A related thing we've done is to allow ports and ship movement in completely separate oceans; a feature that has been much requested. The AI now understands how to handle this, which was always the biggest hurdle. So you can now have a Buddhist merchant republic in the Maldives and build trade posts all the way to the Suez, etc.

YES! This is the best part of that awesome DD :dance:

EDIT: There is more!

quote:

No more will the revolters be mere allies in a war against their liege; they will now be temporary vassals of the faction leader in a proper civil war. In other words, you will be fighting these wars against a more unified and powerful enemy (or fight as them, of course.)

Finally a proper rebellion since EU:Rome.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, the vassal rebellion change is easily my biggest favorite from this patch/DLC. Hopefully revolts will no longer be whack-a-mole with ten small enemy armies, hopefully it can just be settled with stack-on-stack violence.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

I have yet to see a faction demand elective succession in my Rome game so far - the big ones are either independence, lowering crown authority, or installing a pretender. And as far as I can tell, I can't just agree to a faction demand unless they press it.

Correct, and the elective succession faction can only be started with the lowest level of CA. So if you're already at medium, you can't lower it twice in one lifetime to make this possible. So... um... wait & hope that the wars end, I guess :(

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

But can you build trade posts in rivers yet, like every single merchant republic actually did? :(

EDIT: Also, love Lotharingia's new color, it really strikes it as the middle kingdom between France and Germany.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm not understanding the boat thing. I already can make trade zones that extend across North Africa.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The Maldives are down by India ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

TTBF posted:

I'm not understanding the boat thing. I already can make trade zones that extend across North Africa.

But not in the Caspian or Red Sea/Indian Ocean.

• Locked thread