Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Doh004 posted:

The risotto I made the other day with it was spot on from if I had made it normally in a pot.

Mind posting or linking your risotto recipe? Or was it just a standard-ish rice, shallots/onion, chicken broth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Mind posting or linking your risotto recipe? Or was it just a standard-ish rice, shallots/onion, chicken broth?

That's all I do. I do 2-1 stock to rice ratio, cooked at full pressure for 6 minutes. Then add a little stock if necessary, and finish with butter and parm.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Arcturas posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3578968

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Huh. The pressure cooker risotto turned out really well. Not quite as creamy as regular risotto, but I don't know if I let the wine cook off properly, and I need to fiddle with the stock/rice ratio. It also might need 6:30 or 7:00 of pressure.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No Wave posted:

Only Cooks Illustrated found that. I trust Miss Vicky and Nils more than I trust them. Ever since they got me to buy a teak cutting board I am DONE with CI.

Yeah, I think the FCI crew are better for advice than Cook's Illustrated who weigh "easy" really heavily in everything they do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought the Kuhn Rikon. I hope 7 liters is enough.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Someone has cracked my Pizza stone, although no one is owning up to it. It was doing the job just great for me, but the pizza steel talk earlier in the thread got me interested. But I cant seem to find anything similar here in the UK.
With a little bit of searching around I've stumbled on this flat cast iron thingy that looks to me like a good deal.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Traditional-Baking-Scones/dp/B00F3CNI7M

How is cast iron as a pizza stone replacement, as good as the new baking steels, better/not as good?
I'd like perhaps another inch or too for manoeuvrability, though too much bigger and I wouldnt get it in my little oven anyway.

For £15 I might just give it a go.

e: vvv Totally missed that thread. Nevermind, have already ordered the above to try.

Worst case, I use it to make really big crepes.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 12, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MeKeV posted:

Someone has cracked my Pizza stone, although no one is owning up to it. It was doing the job just great for me, but the pizza steel talk earlier in the thread got me interested. But I cant seem to find anything similar here in the UK.
With a little bit of searching around I've stumbled on this flat cast iron thingy that looks to me like a good deal.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Traditional-Baking-Scones/dp/B00F3CNI7M

How is cast iron as a pizza stone replacement, as good as the new baking steels, better/not as good?
I'd like perhaps another inch or too for manoeuvrability, though too much bigger and I wouldnt get it in my little oven anyway.

For £15 I might just give it a go.

Some people from the UK have found local sources for steels and posted on the steel thread.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Is this the correct cuisinart food processor that is recomended in the OP: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DFP-14BCN-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B0000645TW/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's powerful enough, but don't expect to get warranty service if any of the blades gently caress off on you. That'll cost $$$. I'm bitter, because my blades did gently caress off on me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what all exactly does a blade 'loving off' entail

because I'm picturing some pretty gruesome stuff

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Oh god I thought I had clicked on the wet shaving thread then read the last 2 posts. :gibs:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

what all exactly does a blade 'loving off' entail

because I'm picturing some pretty gruesome stuff

My spinny blade cracked in the bottom. It still functions. I've seen the spinny blade just decide to break completely in the middle of a job. Real fun

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Anyone have any favorite ravioli molds? Or any knowledge of them at all? These have good reviews, as dfp these, but the latter are more expensive, plus Amazon.com sells a ton of other molds, etc. Any tips for buying molds?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Anyone have any favorite ravioli molds? Or any knowledge of them at all? These have good reviews, as dfp these, but the latter are more expensive, plus Amazon.com sells a ton of other molds, etc. Any tips for buying molds?
Just roll a sheet of pasta, put spoonfulls of filling in two rows, then fold half the sheet over lengthwise and slice the raviolis apart with a knife. Screw moulds.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That sounds a lot easier than what I was doing before, which was cutting and then filling the ravioli...

So yeah, I guess I'll do that. Thanks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

feelz good man posted:

Just roll a sheet of pasta, put spoonfulls of filling in two rows, then fold half the sheet over lengthwise and slice the raviolis apart with a knife. Screw moulds.

invariably I squish filling out of the pocket, between the ravioli, and then don't get a good seal. what am I doing wrong / ravioli tipz plz

and yes lol ravioli molds? man people will buy anything :/ that's worse than an egg poacher

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
... don't put so much filling. Tada!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone here have experience with Aerogrow hydroponic pots? I'm thinking of picking one up for herbs/berries/tomatoes and stuff like that.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm considering cooking my own (daily, nothing fancy) bread, how good have bread maker become in the recent years ? Any innovation I should be aware of ?
Note: I'm in Belgium, we like our bread like inFrance I guess, not the spongy toast thing from UK/US/Japan
/

edit: has to be ready in the morning, so has to be automatic, I know how to mak bread in the oven with extra toys like stones/cast iron plates, but it is not practical on a daily basis.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

signalnoise posted:

Anyone here have experience with Aerogrow hydroponic pots? I'm thinking of picking one up for herbs/berries/tomatoes and stuff like that.

It was very expensive, but nice. Then the pump broke. I'd just do it by hand with a grow light and a pot of dirt.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Spatule posted:

I'm considering cooking my own (daily, nothing fancy) bread, how good have bread maker become in the recent years ? Any innovation I should be aware of ?
Note: I'm in Belgium, we like our bread like inFrance I guess, not the spongy toast thing from UK/US/Japan
/

edit: has to be ready in the morning, so has to be automatic, I know how to mak bread in the oven with extra toys like stones/cast iron plates, but it is not practical on a daily basis.
If you want to make bread like France you need to make it in the oven.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spatule posted:

/

You can make all the dough on the weekend and cut a piece and bake a loaf every day

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

You can make all the dough on the weekend and cut a piece and bake a loaf every day

That could be it. Any recommendation for some apparatus to make the dough without too much effort ?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
A stand mixer?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No knead bread.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just got a food saver (the big one they sell at Costco). It came with a deli container. Are any of the other attachments worth it like the jar one or the marinator? Are more deli containers a decent investment or should I just use rolls?

signalnoise posted:

I had one. It worked for awhile but eventually crapped out. They also changed the design of the lights and he new lights wouldn't fit into it any more. I don't think they're built to last and their lights are over priced.

I'm just using grow lights and some pots now, considering building a new hydroponic garden, there are instructions online. Doesn't look too hard.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
It's far more economical to build a hydroponic/aeroponic setup, they can be constructed for next to nothing. If you search online you'll find tons of plans that are easily adaptable to whatever your needs are (number of pods and size; small for herbs on the countertop versus something bigger for large vegetables). I can't find the guide I used (probably because it wasn't one specific guide) but if you look at plans you'll be able to throw something together; the theory behind how they work is relatively simple and scalable. Most guides assume natural light but you can find tons of info on DIY lighting as well.

Granted it won't be as pretty as an Aerogarden but you'll save like 150-250 bucks depending on which Aerogarden you were looking at.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've seen a silicone gasket recommended here several times to put under a cutting board instead of a wet towel. Can someone give me a link?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

I just got a food saver (the big one they sell at Costco). It came with a deli container. Are any of the other attachments worth it like the jar one or the marinator? Are more deli containers a decent investment or should I just use rolls?

I think the seals on those crap out eventually.

I got the canisters and the seals crap out, sometimes they'll initially seal well and fail after a few hours, and some of them will no longer be able to hold a seal at all after a few months.

I got the marinator and the seal hasn't crapped out yet but I'm just counting the days on it as well.

The mason jar adapters are great though, they stay vacuumed forever and mason jars are cheap. The seals are tight as dickens and hard to pry open once they're sealed but I guess that's a good thing in the long run.

edit: I could be wrong, but I have the impression that the bags do a better job at preserving than hard containers. Cheeses seem to last a lot longer in bags because the bag is pushing against the cheese's surface to keep air away. Foodsavers will never achieve a perfect vacuum so in a container/mason jar there will always be a little bit of air and so cheeses will spoil in weeks in a jar instead of months in a bag.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 25, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Happiness Commando posted:

I've seen a silicone gasket recommended here several times to put under a cutting board instead of a wet towel. Can someone give me a link?
Do you need a specific product just for this? I just use a slim silicone hot pad or jar-opener and it works perfectly.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

I think the seals on those crap out eventually.

I got the canisters and the seals crap out, sometimes they'll initially seal well and fail after a few hours, and some of them will no longer be able to hold a seal at all after a few months.

I got the marinator and the seal hasn't crapped out yet but I'm just counting the days on it as well.

The mason jar adapters are great though, they stay vacuumed forever and mason jars are cheap. The seals are tight as dickens and hard to pry open once they're sealed but I guess that's a good thing in the long run.

edit: I could be wrong, but I have the impression that the bags do a better job at preserving than hard containers. Cheeses seem to last a lot longer in bags because the bag is pushing against the cheese's surface to keep air away. Foodsavers will never achieve a perfect vacuum so in a container/mason jar there will always be a little bit of air and so cheeses will spoil in weeks in a jar instead of months in a bag.

What exactly can you put in mason jars with the vacuum though? I mean its not going to 'can' goods with it so I dunno how much I would use it over the bags/rolls. I can just stick to bags/rolls.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sometimes I'll put salad in half gallon mason jars, it keeps a lot longer

Vegetables I'm not going to get to for a while

Spices stay fresh really long in a vacuumed mason jar

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Thanks for the opinions on the Aerogarden, definitely on the no buy list. I would have thought they'd be pretty sturdy for how much they cost vs what they do. Oh well

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I would like recommendations for a gas grill.
Every one I research seems to suck.

I won't be making anything fancy or complicated. Steaks and hamburgers and stuff. Maybe lamburgers would be the fanciest I get.

If you can find on budget friendly that would be even great (300 or less is ideal but I am open to spending more if justified).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TheReverend posted:

I would like recommendations for a gas grill.
Every one I research seems to suck.

I won't be making anything fancy or complicated. Steaks and hamburgers and stuff. Maybe lamburgers would be the fanciest I get.

If you can find on budget friendly that would be even great (300 or less is ideal but I am open to spending more if justified).

I'm pretty sure you can get a two burner Weber gas grill for $300 (check their Spirit line). That's definitely one to get if you don't want to buy a grill every couple years. Otherwise just get some $100-150 shitbox at Walmart and expect to replace it in a couple years.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok, I'll check out those Webers.

One thing though, should I care about INFRA-RED technology?
They claim is decreases flare ups (which I sometimes get when I cook lamburgers) and cooks better.

Is that something I should look into or mostly a crock?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's nice for searing a steak but not really required. Webers have nicely designed burners with bars that help stop flare ups. A spray bottle of water is good to keep nearby to spray on flare ups and stop them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Charbroil I had, had 3 burners and 1 infrared burner. The regular burners did not get hot enough to sear a steak unless it was really, really thick.

The infrared, even on low, was great for burning the living hell out of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

FishBulb posted:

What exactly can you put in mason jars with the vacuum though? I mean its not going to 'can' goods with it so I dunno how much I would use it over the bags/rolls. I can just stick to bags/rolls.

Oh geez, I have all my dry goods practically in Foodsavered mason jars.

I keep my flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, brown sugar (stays soft in the jars!!), and chocolate chips etc, all in mason jars. I use the 1/2 gallon ones for most of it, but for my not commonly used spices I use the smaller ones. I have huge cinnamon sticks, so they need the larger jars. I also have all my rice, panko crumbs, cracked wheat, oatmeal, split peas, dried beans, cornmeal and so on in the jars too. Besides, to me, it looks a lot neater and tidier all sealed, stored and labeled in the pantry, plus bug free. (I HATE those stupid little bugs...my mom called them pantry gnats. I don't know what they are but they are gross and I don't want them in my pantry dry goods.)

My husband and I occasionally like cereal, but we don't eat it often. Keeping it in the sealed mason jar helps us to keep it from going stale and having to give it to the chickens. Quick and easy, and the jar seals are great on it.

I also do the vacubags for meats etc...they work great. Just be sure its properly sealed, rarely sometimes if not placed right there is a slow leak and it doesn't quite seal all the way. It doesn't happen often though for me.

As for the accessories...I have the regular and the widemouth jar sealers, and they get used the most. The deli containers work for a few days but they are not great. Marinator I like, and the round canisters (I use them for my small amounts of flour and sugar on my spice shelf. The big mason jars are for the rest of the bag in the pantry)

Overall I love it. Still one of my best purchases I have made, and it is probably one of the most used items in my kitchen.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 25, 2014

• Locked thread