Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Exploding is a personality.

But really, I think the lack of a personality was the entire point of Fefetasprite. Whenever Hussie talked about Nepeta he always mentioned how expendable she was (something like "the picture in the dictionary next to expendable is her, playing with a ball of yarn"), so the fact that she never talked was probably him just highlighting how you could have replaced all Nepeta's lines with that and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Eridan is funny at least.

"YOU'RE KILLING ANGELS RIGHT NOW AREN'T YOU, rear end in a top hat?"
"Uh, yeah?"

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Carrasco posted:

Exploding is a personality.

But seriously, I think the lack of a personality was the entire point of Fefetasprite. Whenever Hussie talked about Nepeta he always mentioned how expendable she was (something like "the picture in the dictionary next to expendable is her, playing with a ball of yarn"), so the fact that she never talked was probably him just highlighting how you could have replaced all Nepeta's lines with that and it wouldn't have made a difference.
Nepeta didn't really have a purpose in the plot but she had a personality, even if half of it served as a foil for Equius. Feferi was the inverse of Nepeta insofar as Feferi served several plotpoints but was never developed as a character. I'm pretty sure Hussie stated at some point that the creation of Meenah was in some way compensation for the fact that Feferi's personality was so flat.

So theoretically, combining Feferi and Nepeta into a single character should have resulted in a substantial character with plot relevance, but we instead got possibly the most hollow disposable character in the series :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

They kinda lost what they used to be. ARquius is funny, but it sorta killed the AR arc, and the Fefeta thing doesn't seem to really have a personality at all.

Well yeah this is Homestuck. You either get to be a dropped plotline/have no pay off for your arc or you get to be a bland one note joke.

The 2 exceptions to this are Karkat and Dave. Which is okay, because they were the best characters already.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All current outstanding plotlines are in a quantum superposition of dropped and not dropped, and will remain in that state until the posting of the finale collapses the waveform.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You either get to be a dropped plotline/have no pay off for your arc

Hussie has done this two times with Vriska already and I'm convinced he'll find a way to keep doing it over and over again until he reaches eight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If nothing else Feferi served the purpose of preventing Vriska from blaming everything on her upbringing, since Feferi had just as many reasons to be awful as Vriska was but wasn't.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's not that I dislike Meenah, but... sometimes I feel like he should have, you know, developed Feferi instead of introducing Meenah to make up for it. I liked Feferi.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rand Brittain posted:

If nothing else Feferi served the purpose of preventing Vriska from blaming everything on her upbringing, since Feferi had just as many reasons to be awful as Vriska was but wasn't.

Except for the part where people did that anyway?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nepeta plays a key role in my latest fanfic "Troll My Heart 5" so please have some respect...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I imagine everyone, even the less-than-important minor trolls, will get to play some small role in the finale and get some brief reference in the epilogue (if they survive). It's just a pity because when they were first introduced it seemed like they mattered a lot more, they got more screentime and the plot would return to their subplots and develop their characters every so often. Even Nepeta and Feferi got to do things.

The problem's that Hivebent was one of Homestuck's peaks, and it made all twelve of the trolls seem like interesting characters charting their own developments and plots. Then Hivebent ended and there just plain wasn't room for most of them in the story any more. Killing them off was honestly for the best and quite effective when it first happened, but then everyone coming back as ghosts just exacerbates the problem until you get the self-aware Fefeta scenes that intentionally underline how pointless they've become.

People point to Vriska's arc and how it had a decent ending with her death, and how her coming back has just made a mess of things, but at least she'll probably still get an overdue resolution at some point. The trail's gone cold on anything resembling a character arc for Nepeta, Feferi, Eridan and Equius, while Aradia, Sollux and Tavros are only marginally more relevant. Vriska will get salvaged, Gamzee's a decent villain and Kanaya, Terezi and Karkat have a shot at a satisfying ending but most of the trolls are going to go completely to waste.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

I imagine everyone, even the less-than-important minor trolls, will get to play some small role in the finale and get some brief reference in the epilogue (if they survive). It's just a pity because when they were first introduced it seemed like they mattered a lot more, they got more screentime and the plot would return to their subplots and develop their characters every so often. Even Nepeta and Feferi got to do things.

The problem's that Hivebent was one of Homestuck's peaks, and it made all twelve of the trolls seem like interesting characters charting their own developments and plots. Then Hivebent ended and there just plain wasn't room for most of them in the story any more. Killing them off was honestly for the best and quite effective when it first happened, but then everyone coming back as ghosts just exacerbates the problem until you get the self-aware Fefeta scenes that intentionally underline how pointless they've become.

People point to Vriska's arc and how it had a decent ending with her death, and how her coming back has just made a mess of things, but at least she'll probably still get an overdue resolution at some point. The trail's gone cold on anything resembling a character arc for Nepeta, Feferi, Eridan and Equius, while Aradia, Sollux and Tavros are only marginally more relevant. Vriska will get salvaged, Gamzee's a decent villain and Kanaya, Terezi and Karkat have a shot at a satisfying ending but most of the trolls are going to go completely to waste.

I doubt it, the whole point of Vriska's character is that she goes in circles. She learns the same lesson over and over again yet never grows or changes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

I imagine everyone, even the less-than-important minor trolls, will get to play some small role in the finale

RIP AR, WQ, and WK. You showed up, said you had important things to do, then immediately died. Also RIP WV's purpose and plot trajectory, you were gonna be someone some day, kid.

RIP The Parents and all the lessons and plot lines about the kid's realizing they weren't the people they thought they were. Rose will never learn that you were just some drunk tryin to do the best you could now, Mom.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's probably still a chance the guardians will get some plot closure through the beta kids meeting the alpha kids, but you're right - a lot of characters have been unceremoniously killed off and even more plot arcs have been derailed and forgotten.

Since he's gone through the effort of bringing the trolls back as ghosts, though, unlike the other characters who've died, I'll bet they'll at least get to play some tiny role in the finale. It probably won't have anything to do with any semblance of a character arc that's since been abandoned, but it'll be in there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hussie has said that Homestuck is basically a first draft, since he posted his work as he was drawing it. I think we can all agree it's a pretty good first draft, but it'S got some flaws.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
How the gently caress did I know that the second some one said "[non-Pisces zodiac sign] got the shittiest troll" that one of you Pisces folks was gonna bring up Feferi.

Seriously. I don't believe in astrology even a little, but drat if Pisces don't all feel persecuted by this comic.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Bringing up Feferi is a moot point because Hussie acknowledged how bad she was and gave us (speaking as a Pisces) Meenah and more of the Condense so it all worked out well!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Didn't Vriska kinda get some resolution in the "Aranea ruins everything" plot that was the last thing posted? Talking with Meenah about how she can't believe this is how she actually looks like to other people?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Taurus :negative:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KoB posted:

I was about to say this, then I remembered that Rufioh is kinda cool if pointless and then I also remembered that at least I'm not an Aquarius.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A big flaming stink posted:

Didn't Vriska kinda get some resolution in the "Aranea ruins everything" plot that was the last thing posted? Talking with Meenah about how she can't believe this is how she actually looks like to other people?

Vriska's character arc's had so many false epiphanies and regressions that there's no telling if this is the time it finally "clicks" for her. We'll have to see how things shake out in the finale, although yeah if she's ever going to change then this is the time to do it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

KoB posted:

I'm the STRONGEST birth sign. That's right; I was conceived in February. :haw:

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
Capricorns have been screwed over as well, since Gamzee has been totally derailed since the end of Act 5. What was even the point of the page where Karkat pacifies Gamzee if he's right back to murderclown mode the next time we see him? He's spent all of Act 6 being that wacky clown who does macabre poo poo for no discernible reason, with next to no dialogue or meaningful development so the readers just have to blandly accept his antics. Oh, and he's invulnerable and will never show distress, or any emotion at all besides honks. We could get some explanation for his actions in the ending, but I'm not counting on it.

Thank God I'm an Aries, is what I'm saying.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Astrology is bullshit, astrological signs are bullshit squared (because of precession), and let's be honest, Homestuck is bullshit too. So claiming a "patron troll" of which to be proud or ashamed is like bullshit³. And I'm not saying that out of spite, because the troll associated to my sign is objectively the best troll.

vvv Yep.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 4, 2014

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Cat Mattress posted:

Astrology is bullshit, astrological signs are bullshit squared (because of precession), and let's be honest, Homestuck is bullshit too. So claiming a "patron troll" of which to be proud or ashamed is like bullshit³. And I'm not saying that out of spite, because the troll associated to my sign is objectively the best troll.

Cancer right?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Dire Wombat posted:

Capricorns have been screwed over as well, since Gamzee has been totally derailed since the end of Act 5. What was even the point of the page where Karkat pacifies Gamzee if he's right back to murderclown mode the next time we see him? He's spent all of Act 6 being that wacky clown who does macabre poo poo for no discernible reason, with next to no dialogue or meaningful development so the readers just have to blandly accept his antics. Oh, and he's invulnerable and will never show distress, or any emotion at all besides honks. We could get some explanation for his actions in the ending, but I'm not counting on it.

Gamzee's entire character just got completely shredded, yeah. Original Gamzee was okay, Murder Gamzee was a decent twist, calm-but-still-really-sinister Gamzee (seen in the hidden part of the Afterlife Walkaround with Kurloz) was actually pretty interesting. But after that... he's just wherever without any kind of attempt at explanation. It's terrible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

All the trolls are stupid and 90% of them are garbage. Half the remaining 10% showed up too late to actually matter.

Karkat and Terezi or bust. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hussie has said that Homestuck is basically a first draft, since he posted his work as he was drawing it. I think we can all agree it's a pretty good first draft, but it'S got some flaws.

It would be if this wasn't the finished project. Like as a rough first draft I'd say it desperately needed an editor to thump someone on the nose and tell them to trim like half the poo poo that happened and keep Hussie focused on delivering a solid plot with a solid Antagonist.

As is it's a first draft that he never finished writing out an outline for that made it to print and it's kind of a bummer given how strong it started out.

Dolash posted:

Since he's gone through the effort of bringing the trolls back as ghosts, though, unlike the other characters who've died, I'll bet they'll at least get to play some tiny role in the finale. It probably won't have anything to do with any semblance of a character arc that's since been abandoned, but it'll be in there.

Look, I just want to know what the hell was so important about the kids all playing a specific instrument and the game world being set up to be solved with those talents (John's world being a giant pipe organ he needed to clean out to talk to his Big Monster, Rose learning to 'PLay The Rain' which look suspiciously like the 4 strings of a violin, etc.) I know they're all part of the game which kind of broke down as a plot/setting around the start of chapter 5 but we're still referring back to it for plot points and stuff like the Denizens/whatever the big monsters were so it feels like a really terribly dropped ball.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 3, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The story has taken so many sudden turns in the past that I hesitate to call any ball dropped until we have seen it rolling pathetically out of sports bounds, with no point having been scored, in the ending. But then, I'm also optimistic enough to genuinely expect it to be out this year, so maybe I'm not the best authority on this matter.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Good catch.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Look, I just want to know what the hell was so important about the kids all playing a specific instrument and the game world being set up to be solved with those talents (John's world being a giant pipe organ he needed to clean out to talk to his Big Monster, Rose learning to 'PLay The Rain' which look suspiciously like the 4 strings of a violin, etc.) I know they're all part of the game which kind of broke down as a plot/setting around the start of chapter 5 but we're still referring back to it for plot points and stuff like the Denizens/whatever the big monsters were so it feels like a really terribly dropped ball.
I figured "playing the rain" was an allusion to ectobiology, since Jaspersprite described it as the letters that make life possible and that ectobiology was the other Lalonde's forte.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

Us Aquarius types got the shittiest trolls

-EDIT-

My sign is Cancer, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 4, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I think Homestuck is actually poo poo, you guys.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

We definitely still haven't ruled that out.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think it's pretty good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Blackheart posted:

Perhaps the truth is somewhere.... In the middle?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Who What Now posted:

Perhaps the truth is somewhere.... In the middle?
Who do you think you are, CNN?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

KoB posted:

Taurus has an awesome patron troll. People who don't like Tavros are wrong and should feel bad :colbert:

You misspelled some things in your original post so I fixed them for you.

http://www.welovefine.com/7736-dirk-hat-trucker-hat.html

Why has no one posted a link to this yet?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackheart posted:

I miss updates :(

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You misspelled some things in your original post so I fixed them for you.

http://www.welovefine.com/7736-dirk-hat-trucker-hat.html

Why has no one posted a link to this yet?

If there's one worthwhile thing to come out of Homestuck that I would unironically love to see transcend the fandom and become a real thing, it is that hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Basically the perfect thing to have a picture of a hat on it, is a hat.