Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

When 13.0 hits do y'all want a new thread or just an updated OP?

If we keep this thread, how would I get the title changed? Message a mod?

New thread for XBMC / Plex / MediaBrowser etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else run into weird problems with SMB shares and the Update Library on Startup thing in OpenELEC? It will basically just skip scanning the sources, claiming they're not available. If I run a manual update 10 seconds later it scans just fine and finds the new stuff. This is hard wired to a NUC so I'm confused on whats going on here.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone else run into weird problems with SMB shares and the Update Library on Startup thing in OpenELEC? It will basically just skip scanning the sources, claiming they're not available. If I run a manual update 10 seconds later it scans just fine and finds the new stuff. This is hard wired to a NUC so I'm confused on whats going on here.

Which OpenELEC version is it? Odds are, what's happening is that it's not bringing the network adapter online quick enough, and that's causing it to fail.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

New thread for XBMC / Plex / MediaBrowser etc.

This is a good idea, but I'm not at all familiar with Plex/MediaBrowser. Anyone want to write something up?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

G-Prime posted:

Which OpenELEC version is it? Odds are, what's happening is that it's not bringing the network adapter online quick enough, and that's causing it to fail.

It's one of the Gotham nightlies since my NUC isn't supported in the Intel stable branches. You were right, I had to toggle that "wait for network connection" option and now it works perfectly, thanks dude.

Plex seems really cool but I always miss some skin I like (usually Ace) and end up going back to XBMC. You need the premium sub now for the Roku channel too apparently.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

EC posted:

When 13.0 hits do y'all want a new thread or just an updated OP?

If we keep this thread, how would I get the title changed? Message a mod?
In any case, it seems like the Gotham OP written today or on release should be pretty similar. The feature freeze was a while ago and the nightlies (no one should still be on a monthly) have seemed solid.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

It's one of the Gotham nightlies since my NUC isn't supported in the Intel stable branches. You were right, I had to toggle that "wait for network connection" option and now it works perfectly, thanks dude.

Plex seems really cool but I always miss some skin I like (usually Ace) and end up going back to XBMC. You need the premium sub now for the Roku channel too apparently.

That's less an xbmc issue and more a nuc thing - I had to do the same thing with mine for the stable release. Its really sensitive to your lan setup more so than other non-nuc boxes I have.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

After 2 years+ of a somewhat solid build using a Zotac Zbox Ion running Win7 and an attached 3tb something has poo poo the bed. I think it's the drive but it's been forever since I've updated Xbmc, Sickbeard isn't running off of the git repository so it's way behind so I'm going to start from scratch.

Any reason to not use a 2009 Mac Mini that I've since relegated to not doing much? The only reason a mac mini isn't recommended is simply overkill, right?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

sellouts posted:

After 2 years+ of a somewhat solid build using a Zotac Zbox Ion running Win7 and an attached 3tb something has poo poo the bed. I think it's the drive but it's been forever since I've updated Xbmc, Sickbeard isn't running off of the git repository so it's way behind so I'm going to start from scratch.

Any reason to not use a 2009 Mac Mini that I've since relegated to not doing much? The only reason a mac mini isn't recommended is simply overkill, right?

Yea that should be more than enough to run XBMC and all the other stuff.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks! I'm not worried about speed as much as I am weird OSX incompatibilities with the usual trio of software and setting up XBMC with a mysql based setup.. But it looks like python + cheetah is all I really need to use the linux builds.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

sellouts posted:

Thanks! I'm not worried about speed as much as I am weird OSX incompatibilities with the usual trio of software and setting up XBMC with a mysql based setup.. But it looks like python + cheetah is all I really need to use the linux builds.

The last time i tried to run all the proper software you had to do some weird tricks to get everything to boot at start up on osx. So you'll probably have a much easier time using Ubuntu or some other Linux build. As long as you're not scared of the command line.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

sellouts posted:

I just got done going back to Snow Leopard on my mini because there is an issue with the latest version of XBMC and Mavericks. YMMV but I had this screen tearing issue I could not resolve regardless of what I did with VSYNC and other settings in XBMC. Loaded Snow Leopard and everything is perfect again. Sucks I can't run OpenEmu though :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks for this, I've avoided mavericks at home due to laziness and at work due to a rare email bug that if it strikes will be devastating.

I plan on not upgrading the OS. If I can't get everything to run correctly at startup I may just wipe and throw Linux on there.

I'm pretty excited to start my system over and do it right this time.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

EC posted:

This is a good idea, but I'm not at all familiar with Plex/MediaBrowser. Anyone want to write something up?

As someone who has always been a die-hard XBMC fan I'm really, really liking Plex at the moment, especially the shared libraries function! I'd love to see it incorporated in the thread.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

As someone who has always been a die-hard XBMC fan I'm really, really liking Plex at the moment, especially the shared libraries function! I'd love to see it incorporated in the thread.

I still prefer xbmc for at home, but plex is great for lunch breaks and travelling. I've said it a few times but you can sync the two using trak.tv plugins which is what I do and your unwatched/watched status gets duplicated back and forth.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
I have basically given up on XBMC even for local playback. Sync content to ipad, browse movies on phone then beam them seamlessly to the TV, pick up where I left off on my laptop - Plex has become a pretty slick experience. The web-based metadata editor is convenient, the synchronisation and streaming work great. The ridiculous customisability and niche features of XBMC are a small price to pay.

But yeah, just run the respective trakt.tv plugins and use both to your heart's desire.

Has anyone been using mediabrowser? Any opinions?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I just swapped out all my ATV2s running XBMC for Roku3s running Plex. I really enjoy it. The interface isn't as slick as XBMC but it's much more responsive and I don't have to fiddle with MySQL to keep the libraries in sync.

PlexPass is not required for the Roku app. PlexPass adds some functionality like device syncing and beta access for chromecast but Roku is feature complete without it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I don't think it would be against the rules to have a thread for Shared Libraries in Plex. I know there's one on reddit at r/shareplex. I'm really shocked at how easy and well done the library shares are.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

DashingGentleman posted:

I have basically given up on XBMC even for local playback. Sync content to ipad, browse movies on phone then beam them seamlessly to the TV, pick up where I left off on my laptop - Plex has become a pretty slick experience. The web-based metadata editor is convenient, the synchronisation and streaming work great. The ridiculous customisability and niche features of XBMC are a small price to pay.

I do this on XBMC using Yatse remote for Android. Easy to set up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

I have no idea what would cause that but I've seen CP do weird things when you use its library manager and renaming functionality. Try using SABs built in renaming instead, disable all of the CP renaming/library nonsense but keep the XBMC notification on. That at least will let you rule some stuff out.

Just a follow-up, I uninstalled XBMC, reinstalled, and everything is fine. I switched from SMB shares to NFS, and even though I'd removed everything in-program referring to SMB shares, there may have been something still saved in the XML files that was messing things up; either way problem solved.

Also to follow up on my other problem with buffering issues, switching to NFS from SMB shares didn't seem to solve the problem, but I changed my Ethernet adapter settings from Auto speed to 100 base-t half duplex and haven't seen a single problem since. Files start up almost instantly and the only time I've seen it buffer was when I was adding a new file to the library at the same time. So yeah..unusual solutions to some unusual problems I suppose.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
How do you guys find the transcoding of 1080p content with Plex? How powerful of a computer do you need to make it "click and play" like XBMC?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

How do you guys find the transcoding of 1080p content with Plex? How powerful of a computer do you need to make it "click and play" like XBMC?

I researched this a bit before building my new HTPC. I ended up buying an i5 4570S which I've been able to pump out 4 1080p streams, transcoded, without an issue. However, if you're using Plex Home Theater, the majority of the time it's actually just serving the file to you, not transcoding. It seems that the browser interface and the mobile interface are really what triggers the transcoding.

Before this I tried running Plex on my Synology which did not support transcoding. I could still get multiple streams out of it even though it was just basically an Atom processor.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

I do this on XBMC using Yatse remote for Android. Easy to set up.

Yeah, Yatse is what I used to use and does work very well. I did find that it periodically had trouble keeping up with library updates and sometimes chugged on large libraries in comparison to the Plex app.
Plex was designed around the multi-device, multi-user scenario while for XBMC it's very much a hidden extra. Then again XBMC is more powerful for a pure home cinema setup. Horses, courses.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Before this I tried running Plex on my Synology which did not support transcoding. I could still get multiple streams out of it even though it was just basically an Atom processor.

Like 95% of the time the video is not being transcoded but one of the following happens:
- The file is compatible with your player and gets streamed directly - no CPU hit, just need the bandwidth.
- The a/v codecs are compatible but the container is wrong - plex 'remuxes' the file, feeding it into a new container in real time. Small CPU hit. Say you play an h264/ac3 .mkv file (majority of files out there) on an ipad. The codecs are fine but the file needs to be shoved into an mp4 container for the OS to swallow it.
- The video is fine but the audio needs converting. Moderate CPU usage.
- The video codec is incompatible, or you are streaming to a remote location and bandwidth limits force transcoding to a lower bitrate. Heavy CPU usage.

There are scripts out there that allow automatic pre-converting of incompatible files if your CPU is not quite powerful enough for real-time transcoding.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was all set on just upgrading XBMC but Plex certainly looks attractive. The offline sync to mobile devices seems like something that would be very convenient.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
If I wanted to share my media with family over The Internet, how do I arrange it so the kids only see kids cartoons?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Hogburto posted:

If I wanted to share my media with family over The Internet, how do I arrange it so the kids only see kids cartoons?

I'm really preaching the plex gospel now, but you can choose to only share selected categories with other users in plex. Just have a separate toons folder/category.

You can have multiple users with restricted media access in XBMC too, but not really the "sharing over the internet" part.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I use profiles for us and the kid. Then I just have the media separated out into different folders for all of her stuff. There's also a shared "Family Movies" folder that both profiles grab.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
There's nothing like OpenELEC for Plex is there? I see there's a RasPlex for Pi's, but nothing for anything else.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Hogburto posted:

I use subsonic for this, not XBMC. Costs like $5, which is well worth it.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

There's nothing like OpenELEC for Plex is there? I see there's a RasPlex for Pi's, but nothing for anything else.

Not exactly what you are looking for but there is Plexbmc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just realized XBMC marks my 3d movies as 3d. Mother of god.

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
How is XBMC at playing 3D movies? Does it automatically recognize if a film is in side-by-side format and output a 3D signal to the TV? Last I heard 3D support was pretty bad.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

bigger thicker loads posted:

How is XBMC at playing 3D movies? Does it automatically recognize if a film is in side-by-side format and output a 3D signal to the TV? Last I heard 3D support was pretty bad.

The issue is that it doesn't send an automatic 3D signal to your receiver/tv, so you have to manually enable the 3D stuff. Also, as of now the interface doesn't support 3D, so you have doubled images if you pause or whatever. I know there were some mods to make it better, but I can't remember if it was going to be included in Gotham or not.

I kind of gave up on 3D stuff, to be honest. If I want it, I just buy the BR and use my PS3.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EC posted:

The issue is that it doesn't send an automatic 3D signal to your receiver/tv, so you have to manually enable the 3D stuff. Also, as of now the interface doesn't support 3D, so you have doubled images if you pause or whatever. I know there were some mods to make it better, but I can't remember if it was going to be included in Gotham or not.

I kind of gave up on 3D stuff, to be honest. If I want it, I just buy the BR and use my PS3.

The current Gotham builds support 3d ui.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Gotham just hit beta. Who is going to be the hero we need to sacrifice their library to test it for us all?

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-beta1-rises/

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been running the OpenElec Gotham nightlies for the past week, it's fine and pretty stable. I had a few small issues when one of the addon mirrors was down and the addon DB corrupted itself while downloading a file but that was about it.

You probably shouldn't run it unless you're bored or on Android where the improvements are night and day. Most of the popular skins have been updated but there are still a fair number missing, addon compatibility seems fine so far.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

suddenlyissoon posted:

Gotham just hit beta. Who is going to be the hero we need to sacrifice their library to test it for us all?

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-beta1-rises/

I've been on Gotham nightlies for weeks now (main HTPC is an NVIDIA ION box, secondary is an AppleTV 2, library shared between them via MySQL) and have had no problems with the transition. It does bump the library version number so you will want to make sure all your XBMC devices are on the same version.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I've been running the OpenElec Gotham nightlies for the past week, it's fine and pretty stable. I had a few small issues when one of the addon mirrors was down and the addon DB corrupted itself while downloading a file but that was about it.

You probably shouldn't run it unless you're bored or on Android where the improvements are night and day. Most of the popular skins have been updated but there are still a fair number missing, addon compatibility seems fine so far.

I've never manually updated XBMC on my HTPC (with OpenElec) - how do I go about doing so, specifically with Gotham?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just grabbed a snapshot build and overwrote the image after backing up my libraries. I wouldn't even bother doing it now though, the release will probably be out in a month or two. They are getting rid of the old hardware specific builds for ION/Fusion/etc, it's all covered in Generic x86/x64 now so the follow up after an XBMC mainline release should be much faster.