Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games. The story was at least moderately engrossing and I loved the sphere grid(but classic leveling up is okay too). Anything with a combat system similar to Tales of Symphonia are also acceptable. (Also is there anything similar to tactics on the PC or PS2 or Wii?

There was a LOTR RPG for PS2, and probably its peers by extension, that was basically just FFX in a LOTR skin. It's called "The Third Age" and it was ok.

e: VVV by peers, I meant the Xbox and GC, and not the other LOTR games. Which were awesome for different reasons.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games. The story was at least moderately engrossing and I loved the sphere grid(but classic leveling up is okay too). Anything with a combat system similar to Tales of Symphonia are also acceptable. (Also is there anything similar to tactics on the PC or PS2 or Wii?

How similar do you mean? EA put out a game call Lord of the Rings: The Third Age which flat-out rips off FFX's combat system.

Otherwise, have you tried the Grandia series?

Aurain posted:

There was a LOTR RPG for PS2, and probably its peers by extension, that was basically just FFX in a LOTR skin. It's called "The Third Age" and it was ok.

The Third Age was the only one of that type. The others are more hack-and-slash style games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Anything with a combat system similar to Tales of Symphonia are also acceptable.
Every other Tales game. Gameplay-wise I'd recommend Graces, Vesperia, and Xillia.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does anyone have recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games. The story was at least moderately engrossing and I loved the sphere grid(but classic leveling up is okay too).
Shadow Hearts: Covenant, maybe? If you can handle a timing minigame being associated with every action.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

Every other Tales game. Gameplay-wise I'd recommend Graces, Vesperia, and Xillia.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant, maybe? If you can handle a timing minigame being associated with every action.

I hate timing minigames, but the ones on the FFX overdrives were okay. They don't have to be that similar of an action system like The Third Age is, I just mean games that are vaguely similar and the same people would enjoy them. I will check out Grandia and Shadow Hearts, thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I used 'timing minigame', singular, because Shadow Hearts: Covenant only has the one. A line spins around a ring and you have to stop it at the right part.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Just finished replaying FFX and X-2 and I wonder if anyone has recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games. The story was at least moderately engrossing and I loved the sphere grid(but classic leveling up is okay too). Anything with a combat system similar to Tales of Symphonia are also acceptable. (Also is there anything similar to tactics on the PC or PS2 or Wii?

Try Tales of Xillia, which has Tales combat, a sphere grid, and is on sale in the US PlayStation online store until tomorrow.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

GreyPowerVan posted:

Just finished replaying FFX and X-2 and I wonder if anyone has recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games.

Mega Man X: Command Mission has what is pretty much FFX's battle system, but it's pretty samey environmentwise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Skychrono posted:

Try Tales of Xillia, which has Tales combat, a sphere grid, and is on sale in the US PlayStation online store until tomorrow.

Xillia is one of my favorite jrpgs of the last few years, so if it's on sale definitely get it!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Star Ocean also has Tales-ish combat, but there was literally only one good game in that whole series and it was on the PS1. I have no idea if it still holds up or not.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The Xenosaga games have a passive combat system, but gameplay/combat varies in quality from "Okay" (XS1) to "Terrible" (XS2) to "Good" (XS3). It's plot is also anime as gently caress.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking as a die-hard Xenosaga fan for over ten years now, I would never recommend it based on the gameplay. It's passable in Episode 1 and III but they are movies first and games second. On the bright side though, I'd say they are pretty well-produced movies with phenomenal soundtracks by Mitsuda and Kajiura and featuring an English dub of a much higher quality than FFX or X-2.

If you'd like to get a feel for what the game - story and gameplay - is like, check out the Let's Play of it currently being done by ScurvyKip.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 3, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Just finished replaying FFX and X-2 and I wonder if anyone has recommendations of games that play similarly to FFX? I really liked the passive action combat system that wasn't terrible and I don't really like the ATB style FF games. The story was at least moderately engrossing and I loved the sphere grid(but classic leveling up is okay too). Anything with a combat system similar to Tales of Symphonia are also acceptable. (Also is there anything similar to tactics on the PC or PS2 or Wii?

Thirding suggestions for LOTR: The Third Age. It plays exactly like FFX except there aren't really even any towns to chill out in, you basically get taken for a ride through the entire LOTR trilogy and meet all the characters and do all the battles.

It's a lot harder than FFX because the endgame fights all have insane HP levels and you have to abuse the poo poo out of the game's equivalent of Reraise to stay afloat, but despite that it's decently challenging and unlike FFX you're often playing with not only your party of 3 generic characters but also a guest NPC that's a named character in the books. It's mindless fun if you really enjoy FFX's combat. Plus, you get to kill Sauron.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Delsaber posted:

Star Ocean also has Tales-ish combat, but there was literally only one good game in that whole series and it was on the PS1. I have no idea if it still holds up or not.

The PSP remake of 1 is also good, so now there's two good games in the series.

And 4 isn't that bad if you COMPLETELY IGNORE THAT THE PLOT EXISTS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. The battle system is fun, crafting is alright, and so on, but the plot man, that goddamn plot...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking as a die-hard Xenosaga fan for over ten years now, I would never recommend it based on the gameplay. It's passable in Episode 1 and III but they are movies first and games second. On the bright side though, I'd say they are pretty well-produced movies with phenomenal soundtracks by Mitsuda and Kajiura and featuring an English dub of a much higher quality than FFX or X-2.

If you'd like to get a feel for what the game - story and gameplay - is like, check out the Let's Play of it currently being done by ScurvyKip.

The card game in 1 is pretty fun though.

I actually liked the combat in the Xenosaga series just because the boss battles are legitimately difficult. Generally in Final Fantasy games you only get really tough battles from optional content, but XS isn't afraid to challenge you in the main story fights. The third game was the most refined but the plot won't make any kind of sense to you if you haven't played the first two (and even then...), so if you're just interested in the gameplay you can probably skip the first two and just watch LPs or read summaries to get caught up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Delsaber posted:

Yeah, the combat still holds up for the most part. Magic freezes time, which is good if you're trying to heal, but having casters in your party is basically unbearable unless you're twelve and still think it's awesome to watch the animation for Demon's Gate for the hundredth time.

Actually, it's okay to play as the caster because you can floodgate your spells. It doesn't hurt that the strongest attack mage (almost no support magic, though) has a really good auto-attack that, while weak, is on par with melee characters in terms of animation frames and superior in terms of hitboxes.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bonus points for attack spells being really bad unless you know how to abuse a fiddly and undocumented feature.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

The PSP remake of 1 is also good, so now there's two good games in the series.

And 4 isn't that bad if you COMPLETELY IGNORE THAT THE PLOT EXISTS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. The battle system is fun, crafting is alright, and so on, but the plot man, that goddamn plot...

Ahh the plot's not so bad in the mainline. There's a thing that turns people into stone or whatever, you have some space adventures, no big deal. It's only every character and everything they ever say that's terrible. :)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bacchus is voiced by Roy Mustang and Myuria by Sasha.

It can always be worse. It could have been the cast of SO3. But then again, I hate SO3 more than any other JRPG I've ever played so....

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, the combat still holds up for the most part. Magic freezes time, which is good if you're trying to heal, but having casters in your party is basically unbearable unless you're twelve and still think it's awesome to watch the animation for Demon's Gate for the hundredth time.

Not just the attack animations, but also the voice work that goes along with them. :v:

That said, at least SO2's VA was charming in its badness, which is a lot more than I can say about the games that followed.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Excels posted:

So which Final Fantasy is your personal favorite, goons?

The early parts of XIII were very interesting and the world they were setting up had huge potential but they wasted it. If that hadn't happened it could've ended up being my favorite, but now it's probably somewhere in the middle.

My absolute favorites are 9, 5, and 10. I was just addicted to 5 for a while. I'm playing Bravely Default at the moment, but it dosen't have the nice simplicity that 5 had. 9's trio of Zidane/Vivi/Steiner is probably the best in FF, and it has my favorite aesthetic. Not necessarily character designs, I like Nomura's designs better to be honest, but the overall aesthetic is the best. Even simple things like the menus and sound effects are the best in the series. 10 has the best story in any FF game. It's very dedicated to telling a story and it does it very well, and it's also quite a unique story, at least as far as FF stories go.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

It can always be worse. It could have been the cast of SO3.

Jesus. You think SO4's party (i.e., one that contains a dumbass space elf that turns into Satan, a brain damaged 15 year old in the body of a six year old who cries out for "nappy time" with the main character, EDGE MAVERICK and a catgirl in bondage gear) is better than SO3's cast of mostly goofballs (and Cliff) that weren't actually outright offensive?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SO3's most abrasive characters were almost entirely optional, so there's that.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Do we have any idea when the FFT: War of the Lions port is going to land on Android? I need that poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

SO3's most abrasive characters were almost entirely optional, so there's that.

It doesn't matter how many worms you throw at me, I'll crush them all :smug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

It doesn't matter how many worms you throw at me, I'll crush them all :smug:
That guy kind of ruled because the game didn't even really try to redeem him. It's like if Sephiroth had joined the party in FF7 for no adequate reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

That guy kind of ruled because the game didn't even really try to redeem him. It's like if Sephiroth had joined the party in FF7 for no adequate reason.

Yeah, he was an utter rear end in a top hat, revelled in it and the game let him do so. Albel was pretty alright.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jesus. You think SO4's party (i.e., one that contains a dumbass space elf that turns into Satan, a brain damaged 15 year old in the body of a six year old who cries out for "nappy time" with the main character, EDGE MAVERICK and a catgirl in bondage gear) is better than SO3's cast of mostly goofballs (and Cliff) that weren't actually outright offensive?

How did a game where the lead character is named EDGE MAVERICK end up so goddamn bad?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You guys don't understand how happy it makes me you all are still typing EDGE MAVERICK in all caps. Makes me proud.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Overbite posted:

You guys don't understand how happy it makes me you all are still typing EDGE MAVERICK in all caps. Makes me proud.

To be fair, it's the sort of name that basically demands being typed in all caps.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, he was an utter rear end in a top hat, revelled in it and the game let him do so. Albel was pretty alright.

That and he failed at everything he attempted so all of his attempts to seem badass were basically him screaming "I DEMAND TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!!!" and it was equally funny. I think that maniacal cackling and doing special moves were his only skills so he tried to go into a career that favored that, even though he wasn't that great at it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
EDGE MAVERICK is, like, a Pokemon name. It owns.

(it actually is the name of my tyrantrum entirely because of the main character of star ocean 4)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"EDGE MAVERICK, he's the man, whose name you'd love to touch, but you mustn't touch. His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear, cause his name can be said, by anyone.."

All I can remember about Albel is that he was sarong-wearing Crispin Freeman. Unfortunately, I remember Nel, and her hosed-up bonus costume pose.

Why?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 4, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

All I can remember about Albel is that he was sarong-wearing Crispen Freeman. Unfortunately, I remember Nel, and her hosed-up bonus costume pose.

Why?

She owed money to the Moe-Mafia and thats what happens when you don't pay.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've tried The Third Age and it was interesting but not as fun as FFX. I think part of what made FFX so great was the combat system IN ADDITION to the great world, the fun minigames (blitzball was the poo poo) and the story. Also it could just be nostalgia for one of the only games I actually enjoyed playing on my PS2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I rewrote star ocean 3 from memory. Somehow I don't regret doing so.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

I've tried The Third Age and it was interesting but not as fun as FFX. I think part of what made FFX so great was the combat system IN ADDITION to the great world, the fun minigames (blitzball was the poo poo) and the story. Also it could just be nostalgia for one of the only games I actually enjoyed playing on my PS2.

I'd assume The Lord of the Rings would have a better world and story by default. Maybe they could have brought in Tom Bombadil for some sweet minigames.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I'd assume The Lord of the Rings would have a better world and story by default. Maybe they could have brought in Tom Bombadil for some sweet minigames.

Its not the story of LotR though. Its the story of a bunch of random scrubs who also happen to be wandering around where the fellowship are wandering but like, a few days after or before. You're the extras of LotR.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

"EDGE MAVERICK, he's the man, whose name you'd love to touch, but you mustn't touch. His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear, cause his name can be said, by anyone.."

All I can remember about Albel is that he was sarong-wearing Crispin Freeman. Unfortunately, I remember Nel, and her hosed-up bonus costume pose.

Why?
I had no idea that existed.

I remember liking Nel alright, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Overbite posted:

I rewrote star ocean 3 from memory. Somehow I don't regret doing so.

I poured so many hours into that game; beat the bonus dungeons, bosses and all that jazz...and retroactively discovered I had hated every minute of it. I don't even know why. Just being a dumb kid, I guess?

Nihilarian posted:

I had no idea that existed.

I remember liking Nel alright, though.

You can unlock costumes for everyone that you can wear in an unlockable 2-player battle-mode-thing, or completing challenges, I think? Nearly all of them have one that is a reference to another video game, and others are a mix-match of things. Nel gets that one, unfortunately.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its not the story of LotR though. Its the story of a bunch of random scrubs who also happen to be wandering around where the fellowship are wandering but like, a few days after or before. You're the extras of LotR.
The Third Age is literally the least consequential story told, in any medium, ever.

It's basically the story of some blokes who were there. You fight the balrog with Gandalf but Gandalf still 'dies.'