Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

No, because the Chex maps generally lack coop player starts. There's a player 1 start, and a few deathmatch starts, and that's all. So you'd need to start by making a PWAD with copies of each map from the Chex3 IWAD, then add coop player starts near the player 1 start.

Or you could turn on sv_unblockplayers!
I've co-op played Chex Quest maps many a times and that's really all that's needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

TerminusEst13 posted:

Or you could turn on sv_unblockplayers!
I've co-op played Chex Quest maps many a times and that's really all that's needed.

Had a test go, loaded Chex3.wad and the ChexPackP16-3.2.pk3 PWAD. Worked great.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finished Shadow Warrior. It was awesome. Went to play more of Rise of the Triad, and Episode 4 Level 1 is loving me up. I stand by my previous statement, when it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, it is really bad.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So I got the SiN Gold package on Gog.com and started playing that game again, since I felt really nostalgic about it and remember having fun playing through the game and finding something new every time I played through. Also, the package came with the expansion pack, which I never had the chance to play until recently.

I originally bought the game along with SiN Episodes: Emergence on steam around 2009 (years after the Ritual buyout by MumboJumbo) and played through both of them.

The best description for SiN in my opinion id 'The true Duke Nukem Forever', a game which follows a similar formula but improves on it. The game also had a lot of new mechanics in an FPS such as attachable weapons parts such as silencers, a location-based damage system, multiple branching paths and levels, adaptable music tracks (before Deus Ex did that, though I think there were game back in the 90s that played different tracks depending on the situation) and carries many of the old school FPS staples such as secrets and goodies spread throughout the game.

There is also a lot attention to detail in the environment and the texture work still looks pretty good for an old idtech3 engine game. Ritual was one of those dev teams that had many talented people on board and they were well known for the talented level designers on the team who also worked on Duke Nukem 3D.

I install this game once year to play through it and even though it has aged a bit, it's still really charming and difficult in the later half. It's not Blood level of difficulty, but it's still pretty challenging, though some enemies like the Snipers do ruin the experience.

While I usually don't mind stories in FPSs that much and appreciate them for what they are, SiN actually does present its story rather well, especially in the SiN Episodes sequel. I do actually like the characters more than the story though, because unlike anything else these days they have a personality and everything is plated up for laugh and the player's amusement.

Sin Episode Emergence tried to improve on the formula and be innovative, but I think it's major downsides were probably the episodic format, when it was released (at the start of Steam's lifespan and the fact that Blade was a mute now (it ruins it for me anyway) though he does at least does say JC and Jessica's names during Com calls, but there is a Blade dialog mod which does add a taunt button and gives him some dialog during conversations, all of which are from the original SiN.

SiN Episodes is still a very fun game, especially for its super low price.

Overall, this is definitely worth a check if you're into 90s shooters that are good and not Blood 2.

The steam version of SiN which is bundled with SiN Episodes is ver1.12, which only includes a bit of cencorship on some of the textures, so if you want an unspoilt experience along with the Expension pack, I would suggest going for the Gog version. It's 10 bucks, but imo it's well worth the price.

So, go get it.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I have this on DVD. It's terrible. It's like they decided, "We should do a Sin anime" and they focused more on the "anime" part than on "Sin." It's a very loose retelling of the game's story, but set something like 50 years later than the game; Blade is a cyborg now, and is quiet and serious instead of a wiseass; JC is killed off in the first few minutes so he can be replaced with his hot sister who is also called JC; Instead of a hulking, mindless Manumit, Mancini's mutant form is just Mancini with grey-brown skin and black sclera; Elexis looks and sounds like Queen Beryl, and SinTek headquarters is this pointy, twisty crystal tower straight out of the Negaverse. And the most anime part, the plot centers around a little girl, whose genetic information Elexis needs for her new mutagen or somesuch thing, and I think she has angel wings at some point.

I still have a copy of this around somewhere. Neucom Studios took a lot of liberties with this, but it's still pretty cool just for the fact that an FPS got its own anime adaptation. I hated the little girl plot, but atleast JC's sister probably ended up being the inspiration for Jessica in SiN Episodes.

Killing JC still makes no sense to me though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

uncleKitchener posted:

adaptable music tracks (before Deus Ex did that, though I think there were game back in the 90s that played different tracks depending on the situation)

Any LucasArts game using IMUSE. Including early FPS games Dark Forces and Outlaws, and the MIDI music versions of the Star Wars flight sims (X-Wing, TIE Fighter).

Also, way more primitive than IMUSE, but there was dynamic music in Shadowcaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfYkMul6ZA

And of course, Ultima Underworld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8sIgaN65CI
(Why are all these gameplay vids in OPL? Soundtrack is so much better in GM.)

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

So I've been meaning to play Blood, but I can't get the mouse look to feel right for the life of me. Even using bMouse it is really sluggish.

Turning off vertical mouse look pretty much solves my problems with it, but now I'm wondering if the levels were designed with mouse look in mind or if I can get away with just using look up/down keys every once in a while?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wing Commander in 1990 had a dynamic soundtrack as well, right? And I think Shadow of the Beast too although I think it only happens when you run across the field in the first level.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cat Mattress posted:

Any LucasArts game using IMUSE. Including early FPS games Dark Forces and Outlaws, and the MIDI music versions of the Star Wars flight sims (X-Wing, TIE Fighter).

Also, way more primitive than IMUSE, but there was dynamic music in Shadowcaster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfYkMul6ZA

And of course, Ultima Underworld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8sIgaN65CI
(Why are all these gameplay vids in OPL? Soundtrack is so much better in GM.)

al-azad posted:

Wing Commander in 1990 had a dynamic soundtrack as well, right? And I think Shadow of the Beast too although I think it only happens when you run across the field in the first level.

Thanks for clearing that up. Never played any of those game to be honest, so I'll check em out.

Superschaf posted:

So I've been meaning to play Blood, but I can't get the mouse look to feel right for the life of me. Even using bMouse it is really sluggish.

Turning off vertical mouse look pretty much solves my problems with it, but now I'm wondering if the levels were designed with mouse look in mind or if I can get away with just using look up/down keys every once in a while?

I always played the game with full mouse control. The game may be more difficult that way, but I much prefer that to the Build Engine mouse control.

Messing around with the settings usually got me decent results, but it's just something you'd probably get used to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, that escalated quickly: Interceptor (the ROTT guys with the bad luck re: Duke Nukem projects) has outright bought the shattered remains of Apogee and 3D Realms. More details tomorrow.

I guess ROTT13 did pretty well, huh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Well, that escalated quickly: Interceptor (the ROTT guys with the bad luck re: Duke Nukem projects) has outright bought the shattered remains of Apogee and 3D Realms. More details tomorrow.

I guess ROTT13 did pretty well, huh.

It sounds like the CEO was already well off when he started the company. Kind of like how Gabe N was already a retired millionaire when he started Valve.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

al-azad posted:

It sounds like the CEO was already well off when he started the company. Kind of like how Gabe N was already a retired millionaire when he started Valve.

Possible. RoTT did apparently break even just a few weeks after release, though. It was a cheap, well-budgeted project, and sold well for what it was.

Gearbox still own the Duke Nukem license, but I have a feeling that Interceptor are now in a much better position to negotiate an official agreement now that they've not got 3D Realms trying to pull strange deals.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Yeah, the CEO they've appointed has founded an investment firm and co-founded CoolShop (if that's a thing that means anything to you. Danish Goons?) Apparently he's been a partner at Interceptor since October.

No idea why he's suddenly dabbling in these "video game" things, but he wouldn't be the first Important-Sounding Money Guy to dip into that well: the co-founder/CEO of XE.com basically financed all of Double Fine's recent Steam ports...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dominic White posted:

Gearbox still own the Duke Nukem license, but I have a feeling that Interceptor are now in a much better position to negotiate an official agreement now that they've not got 3D Realms trying to pull strange deals.

I hope they're able to grab that IP off of Gearbox. I can't imagine Gearbox doing anything with it. I mean, it's not like they're gonna trick somebody into giving them money to fund a Duke Nukem game but then turn around and use those funds towards Borderlands 3 or whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Duke Nukem brand has to be worth nothing at this point but Randy Pitchford is the kind of man who would sit on the license just because.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the CEO they've appointed has founded an investment firm and co-founded CoolShop (if that's a thing that means anything to you. Danish Goons?) Apparently he's been a partner at Interceptor since October.

No idea why he's suddenly dabbling in these "video game" things, but he wouldn't be the first Important-Sounding Money Guy to dip into that well: the co-founder/CEO of XE.com basically financed all of Double Fine's recent Steam ports...

Honestly, if I was fiscally well off enough to fund pet projects at the drop of a hat I would start a video game company because why the hell not?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Honestly, if I was fiscally well off enough to fund pet projects at the drop of a hat I would start a video game company because why the hell not?
Let's ask Curt Schilling!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure he got away scratch-free from that debacle.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Pretty sure he got away scratch-free from that debacle.
He lost his entire $50 million baseball fortune on that little venture. That's a reasonably sized scratch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Yeah, asking for a 75 million dollar loan goes beyond what I consider a pet project.

I'm glad all these smaller developers are still in the running like Interceptor, Fling Wild Hog, Obsidian, Croteam, and Double Fine. It means you don't need fancy features and bloated budgets to make a profitable game that people still enjoy. I haven't followed Battlefield 4 since its release but a big budget project like that shouldn't gently caress up out the gate. It's embarrassing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm pleased that Interceptor bought 3DR and Apogee. They seem to be much more on the ball with things like Steam and mobile devices than 3DR was. IIRC, they're the ones that pushed for the sidescrolelr Duke games to be on Steam and worked on the sidescroller Duke ports for mobile devices. They're also really supportive of modding. I'm hoping for a full release of their

I'm hoping that they'll push for a full release of Apogee's games to GoG and Steam. Most of them are DOS sidescrollers that probably haven't aged well, but it would be nice to have them on a site like Steam instead of having to buy them directly from 3DR and hope you still have the purchase info in case you get a new computer or delete the installer.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
In ZDoom related news, a long standing netgame sync issue has be resolved involving player jumping, starting from build 2.8pre-362 (March 2nd).
It hasn't been propagated to GZDoom yet, but I believe that happens automatically so that should happen in the next 24 hours, so it won't be long until your multiplayer Reelism experience is dramatically improved. Or anything else (G)ZDoom multiplayer related.

If you want the technical details: Originating from the original Doom source, there was a global boolean named "onground" that was used to track if the player was on the ground or not. This value was always set by player movement, and only ever tracked for anything related to player movement afterwards, so everything worked okay.
However, ZDoom changed an aspect to player jumping a few years back that ended up tracking this value before the player movement had a chance to set its value. This would be otherwise fine, except for how player movement prediction worked in netgames. So come round to thinking players the next frame, the next player that was tracking jumping would end up reading the value likely set by player prediction, which would be different between each session. Opps.

As an example, if you held jump while moving across a fake bridge (a bridge made out of objects), you would have the visual appearance of floating. The prediction would start jumping as expected, and you would be off the ground. Then when it came time to process players for real, you would be considered off the ground and thus don't end up jumping, despite still actually being on the fake bridge. You will then move inconsistently because other players will still see you jumping as expected.

I can't even begin to pretend how much this would have affected. I doubt it's the last synchronisation issue to fix (I believe level transitions may have an issue?), but it's certainly the most detrimental to date.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 3, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You know what this means.

Remake of Blake Stone is gonna happen. :getin:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zeether posted:

You know what this means.

Remake of Blake Stone is gonna happen. :getin:

This would be really cool. FPS with some light RPG elements in the style of Shadow Warrior (spend money on food and ammo, talk to informant NPCs to find out things, maybe a perk system where you can get special abilities) set in a pulp 50's sci-fi setting would be fantastic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Segmentation Fault posted:

This would be really cool. FPS with some light RPG elements in the style of Shadow Warrior (spend money on food and ammo, talk to informant NPCs to find out things, maybe a perk system where you can get special abilities) set in a pulp 50's sci-fi setting would be fantastic.

Man, that would be fantastic.

Actually I should try Blake Stone at some point..

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's very Wolfenstein-y, but it actually has an automap so its a bit more bearable.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

That would be awesome. I've only dabbled in Blake Stone, I'm waiting for ECBlake and the wait is interminable.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

catlord posted:

Went to play more of Rise of the Triad, and Episode 4 Level 1 is loving me up. I stand by my previous statement, when it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, it is really bad.
Lazy Game Reviews pretty much said the same thing about ROTT in his review, which I found surprising when I first watched it since everyone and their great grandma who've played it seem to think it's a flawless masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUU4XrTJ3A

Speaking of playing classic FPS games, I've been playing through Quake 2 lately for my second time (the first time I gave up for some reason that I can't remember since it was forever ago). The single player campaign is actually pretty fun and the levels seem to be pretty well designed, and I kinda like the idea of each unit being a few maps long and allowing you to travel back and forth between them, and the map sizes are just right to where backtracking isn't a big deal, especially if you took out most/all the enemies in one map. However, I totally regret setting the difficulty on easy since the enemies are pathetic to the point where I can run up to most of them, fire a couple shotgun shots, and watch them gib before they can get more than two or three shots off (although I'm about halfway through the game and the game is throwing some enemies that can put up a bit of a fight).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man, that would be fantastic.

Blake Stone is probably the best out of the two Wolf3D-derived games from Apogee. The difficulty curve is much more even than RoTT95 and the later levels aren't annoying and filled with annoying enemies and traps, like RoTT95. The game goes on for a bit too long because there are way too many levels, but when your biggest complaint is that it's too long but you can skip to any episode you like, that's not too much of a bad thing.

quote:

Finished Shadow Warrior. It was awesome. Went to play more of Rise of the Triad, and Episode 4 Level 1 is loving me up. I stand by my previous statement, when it's good, it's good, and when it's bad, it is really bad.

RoTT95's episode 4 is pretty annoying because of the loving monk enemies. I recently beat the game in Hard and I think about 1/4th of my time in that episode was shooting monks to death with the MP40. The levels are pretty short, but the monks make it too long and frustrating.

RoTT13's Episode 4 is much better because it gives you a lot more firepower to deal with the monks instead of a Dark Staff or two. The first part of the first level is pretty bad, but it gets better after the part wit the Excalibat at the start.

quote:

Speaking of playing classic FPS games, I've been playing through Quake 2 lately for my second time (the first time I gave up for some reason that I can't remember since it was forever ago). The single player campaign is actually pretty fun and the levels seem to be pretty well designed, and I kinda like the idea of each unit being a few maps long and allowing you to travel back and forth between them, and the map sizes are just right to where backtracking isn't a big deal, especially if you took out most/all the enemies in one map. However, I totally regret setting the difficulty on easy since the enemies are pathetic to the point where I can run up to most of them, fire a couple shotgun shots, and watch them gib before they can get more than two or three shots off (although I'm about halfway through the game and the game is throwing some enemies that can put up a bit of a fight).

Quake 2 isn't that difficult, no matter what difficulty you set it at. Once you get near or past the halfway point, you'll have a shitload of powerful weapons and not enough targets to use them on. I've said this before, but the game becomes more about HOW you want a group of enemies to die than what weapon would work best on what enemy. The only enemies that are really an issue are the Tank Commander and Brain (shield monster). You can deal with the Tank Commander by lobbing a few BFG blasts or dumping your Minigun into him, while the Brain is shooting a few explosives near him.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I really enjoy Quake II's single player experience. Before Half Life came out it was pretty much the best single player shooter IMHO. The later levels that get into the prison and human processing facilities are just the right kind of disturbing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

closeted republican posted:

RoTT13's Episode 4 is much better because it gives you a lot more firepower to deal with the monks instead of a Dark Staff or two. The first part of the first level is pretty bad, but it gets better after the part wit the Excalibat at the start.

I managed to get past the Excalibat bit, one time after clearing everybody and one time I just decided to run past everything. The bit after it is pretty brutal too, there are monks hidden everywhere, behind trees and poo poo. I got past it once with 2% health. Once you get past it you have an area with several monks, and three hitscan enemies who normally wouldn't have been much issue, despite being the slightly tougher guys who steal your poo poo, if it weren't for having so little health and having just one split missile rocket and dual pistols. I'll try again, hopefully I can make it further this time.

Edit: The only part of Quake 2 I didn't like was the power plant area. I got completely lost after I killed everything and ended up consoling myself to the next area.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I managed to get past the Excalibat bit, one time after clearing everybody and one time I just decided to run past everything. The bit after it is pretty brutal too, there are monks hidden everywhere, behind trees and poo poo. I got past it once with 2% health. Once you get past it you have an area with several monks, and three hitscan enemies who normally wouldn't have been much issue, despite being the slightly tougher guys who steal your poo poo, if it weren't for having so little health and having just one split missile rocket and dual pistols. I'll try again, hopefully I can make it further this time.

Edit: The only part of Quake 2 I didn't like was the power plant area. I got completely lost after I killed everything and ended up consoling myself to the next area.

With the first part, kill every goddamn monk you see and scavenge around on the first floor before going to the second floor. There's a Fireproof Armor in one of the rooms on the first floor that makes dealing with the Deathfire Monks much easier. There's also a Heat-Seeking Rocket Launcher on the room above the one with the Fireproof Armor for clearing out any straggler monks if you ran out of Excalibat ammo before you could take them out.

I'd also suggest you use this guide to get secrets. There are two secrets in the first area, and they have a Split Missile that could be handy for dealing with later areas if you tend to gently caress up with the Firewall that's at the end of the first area.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

With the first part, kill every goddamn monk you see and scavenge around on the first floor before going to the second floor. There's a Fireproof Armor in one of the rooms on the first floor that makes dealing with the Deathfire Monks much easier. There's also a Heat-Seeking Rocket Launcher on the room above the one with the Fireproof Armor for clearing out any straggler monks if you ran out of Excalibat ammo before you could take them out.

I made it to E4L2. I guess I had a checkpoint just beyond the starting area, so I didn't have to deal with that. I made it to that area I got to with 2% health before, but with 31% health this time, but no rocket, so I ran for the rocket below then used the area with the bridge to hold them off as the came at me. I think there was some fireproof armour there that I was able to grab, which made the next areas slightly easier. One of the regular guys ended up dropping an MP40 which also helped immensely. Still think Deathfire Monks loving suck though.

Thanks for the secrets guide, I'm sure that'll be super useful.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I made it to E4L2. I guess I had a checkpoint just beyond the starting area, so I didn't have to deal with that. I made it to that area I got to with 2% health before, but with 31% health this time, but no rocket, so I ran for the rocket below then used the area with the bridge to hold them off as the came at me. I think there was some fireproof armour there that I was able to grab, which made the next areas slightly easier. One of the regular guys ended up dropping an MP40 which also helped immensely. Still think Deathfire Monks loving suck though.

Thanks for the secrets guide, I'm sure that'll be super useful.

E4L2 is a bit easier because it has more firepower than E4L1 does and the secrets have better items (like a Fireproof Vest). Since you've already got an MP40, taking out dudes without a lot of firepower is less frustrating.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

He does in fact have a pretty solid video game connection going on.

Coolshop is probably the best video game online retailer in Denmark, and deservedly so. They'll price-match any other store, and shipping is always free. They sell toys, perfume, MP3 player accessories etc. now as well. In my experience from the couple of times I've had to interact with their service department, they're really on top of things in that department, as well.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Quake 2 isn't that difficult, no matter what difficulty you set it at. Once you get near or past the halfway point, you'll have a shitload of powerful weapons and not enough targets to use them on. I've said this before, but the game becomes more about HOW you want a group of enemies to die than what weapon would work best on what enemy. The only enemies that are really an issue are the Tank Commander and Brain (shield monster). You can deal with the Tank Commander by lobbing a few BFG blasts or dumping your Minigun into him, while the Brain is shooting a few explosives near him.
Gotcha! I was afraid I was keeping myself from a challenge, but knowing that the game isn't super hard in the higher difficulties makes me feel better. Plus, like I said in my previous post, the game is starting to throw a lot of tougher enemies my way (I'm on unit 8 and going by what I've read, I'm thinking I'm near the end of the game), so I'm happy that there is now some challenge (that is until I bring out my accidentally and awesomely found BFG10k :unsmigghh:).

Also, am I the only one who thinks the Super Shotgun is worthless compared to the regular shotgun? I know it's supposed to be twice as strong as the regular one, but it seems like it takes the same number of shots and twice as much ammo to take down most enemies. :confused:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
It takes twice as much ammo and does three times as much damage. If it's not working, you're too far away.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I asked this over on doomworld, but figured I'd try here too:

The individual mappers for the official Doom levels are pretty well known, but does anyone know who authored maps in the other IWads / related ports?

I managed to find the Doom 64 level credits in an old interview with the developers, so I'm specifically wondering about Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and any massive console port changes.

Some interviews from Michael Raymond-Judy indicate he was primarily responsible for half of the E1-3 Heretic maps, though he worked in some capacity on all of them, and that he and Eric C. Biessman split development on the E4-6 maps, with again MRJ touching most of them for secrets and DM thing placement. He specifically said that Brian Raffel made E2M6. And Tim Moore did something with E4-6 too, though not as much as Eric, I gather.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 4, 2014

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
For the risk of sounding like a total fanboy on the same page, I hope someone buys the SiN license from MumboJumbo because it's obvious they're not doing anything with it.

I won't mind seeing a Blood sequel either, but the horror movies in the past decade and a half have been so lacking that all the references are going to be about how silly and torture-porn-like they were (okay, there are some good flicks out there, but I can only count a handful of them).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I really want a modern Descent that has all the vertigo-inducing craziness of the first two games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jordan7hm posted:

I asked this over on doomworld, but figured I'd try here too:

The individual mappers for the official Doom levels are pretty well known, but does anyone know who authored maps in the other IWads / related ports?

I managed to find the Doom 64 level credits in an old interview with the developers, so I'm specifically wondering about Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and any massive console port changes.

Some interviews from Michael Raymond-Judy indicate he was primarily responsible for half of the E1-3 Heretic maps, though he worked in some capacity on all of them, and that he and Eric C. Biessman split development on the E4-6 maps, with again MRJ touching most of them for secrets and DM thing placement. He specifically said that Brian Raffel made E2M6. And Tim Moore did something with E4-6 too, though not as much as Eric, I gather.

I did have some info on Strife and the deservedly-forgotten shitheap HacX, I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: HacX map breakdown: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Hacx

EDIT EDIT: Strife's maps were by Jim Molinets with assistance from Tim Willits of ID, but I can't find an exact breakdown right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jordan7hm posted:

He specifically said that Brian Raffel made E2M6.

* E6M2.

Brian Raffel probably did other maps, because I think he's the boss MRJ refers to here:

quote:

We DID increase the maxvisplanes to about 4x its original, to accommodate the *ahem* "ambitious" layouts of some of our maps (when the boss builds something, you try to make it work).